• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Big changes to WCC menus on Wednesday

Many will go to Disney with some kind of discount and have a smile on their face because they caught a "sale" Others will either not know about discounts or want to go when discounts are not available. Basically it all works out in the end. Disney plays the numbers game so at the end of the year they have the projected profits (or higher) they want.

As for me, I will book a trip and I will play a numbers game figuring out what offer works best for me in the end. As I know most of us do here too :)

Big disappointment for us. We just cancelled our ressies for 12/11 @ 6:30. We were still able to get another place we'd be happier with!

We were just there last month and none of us had the skillet -- and we had a really nice meal and a fun time. We were waiting for the ADRs to open up for March and when they didn't appear, I came here to find out why. :thumbsup2

But then I learned about the menu change and the price increase. We're staying at VWL, but we won't be eating at WC. That Wilderness Salad in Roaring Forks is calling my name!

I actually like the new menu better. I like that you can pick what meats you want and the dessert sampler looks really good.

Vegetarian options are not printed on the menu but are still available upon request. As Suzannews said the quinoa cakes and the pasta option. To the poster who said the vegetables are the vegetarian option that is incorrect, there are two meals to choose from.
So they put quinoa cakes and pasta in a skillet? Or do they offer a la carte meals for vegetarians only, at dinner?

JimmyV said:
My thoughts exactly. Seems to me that someone at WDW failed logic class.

a) If you offer BOTH the skillet and a la carte options you capture 100% of all potential customers who might want a skillet; and you capture 100% of all potential customers who dislike the skillet, but like the a la carte food.

b) Offer ONLY the skillet, and you capture 100% of all potential customers who might want a skillet; and you lose 100% of all potential customers who dislike the skillet, but like the a la carte food.

Logic dictates that this move has to result in a decline in customers, as they will retain all the skillet people and lose all the a la carte people (like me). The only way this can come close to making sense is if there is a backlog of skillet lovers who currently can't get ADRs who can fill in all the gaps left by the departure of the a la carte people. But I don't think that is likely. I wasn't before. So why will it be now?

Jimmy,

Your forgetting the cost to carry and prepare the a la carte options. The restaurant must carry the ingredients, train the staff, and print he menus for those options. If he cost to do all that is more than 20% of the price on the menu then the dish is generally losing money for the restaurant. In this case the more people order it the more moey he restaurant loses!

We ate at WCC on Wed night, the first night of the "new" menu. There are still bottomless milkshakes that are included as beverages with adult and kids meals. The skillet is the only adult offering. There are appetizers (including salad) that are extra. There are a few kids meal offerings (mine both had grilled cheese and hated it because it was on whole grain bread- heavy on the seeds and it weirded them out). We enjoyed the skillet, the roast beef and sausage were great. We didn't get the fish. The desserts they bring (no choice) are a berry cobbler, a jalapeño cheesecake and some kind of neopolitan cake. None of it was great. We were dissapointed having eaten here a few years ago and loving it then. We wouldn't eat here again.

What a dissapointment! Why mess with a good thing, Disney?

My daughter will be devastated that the pot roast is gone. I'm serious. That's all my husband and I hear about, the pot roast at WCC.

This was our favorite place to eat, eating there 2 or more times per vacation.

We've even stayed at Wilderness Lodge just to be close to my Daughters pot roast. Don't judge...lol :rotfl2:

Wow, what a shocker...The pot roast at Liberty tree and 50's prime time are good, but there was nothing like the pot roast at Whispering canyon. Not to mention the steak was pretty darn good.

We'll probably try it at least once. If I can get my Daughter not to boycott WCC.

We ate at WCC on Wed night, the first night of the "new" menu. There are still bottomless milkshakes that are included as beverages with adult and kids meals. The skillet is the only adult offering. There are appetizers (including salad) that are extra. There are a few kids meal offerings (mine both had grilled cheese and hated it because it was on whole grain bread- heavy on the seeds and it weirded them out). We enjoyed the skillet, the roast beef and sausage were great. We didn't get the fish. The desserts they bring (no choice) are a berry cobbler, a jalapeño cheesecake and some kind of neopolitan cake. None of it was great. We were dissapointed having eaten here a few years ago and loving it then. We wouldn't eat here again.

Can you order more dessert if you want it?????????

Sorry but that's true IMHO.

Disney is the Oriental Rug Dealer of hotels.

They take a hotel room that's worth say $180 a night and mark it up to $350 and then let you think it's a "deal" when you get a 30% discount! :lmao:

Disney pricing is not based on all those cool things that the earlier poster claimed, sure they go into it, but it's really based on "how high can we get away with" :offtopic:

Except that what a room is worth IS decided by other factors than just the room.

Take the same room and it will cost a lot more in say London (UK) than it would in not-very-touristy-town Utrecht (Netherlands). And even in London the same room can cost more in the centre than further away from the attractions.

Plus I believe that ANY business is based on that priciple :)
It is only too much when people stop buying it....

But getting back to topic :p

I understand why they would change it, sad to see some things go but well, we'll have to try it out next year and see if we like it!

I'm so glad I saw this thread! I had an ADR there for Tues, and now that there is no bar-b-que, I'm not interested. I loved the pulled pork and brisket, the other options just aren't as appealing, and I think the desserts sound gross.

So glad you guys are here keeping us updated and saved us a trip to the WL for a mediocre meal! Thank you!

As a side note, does anyone else notice the similarities between this menu and garden grill? I remember getting some sort of citrus fish and flank steak as part of the main meal. Maybe they changed it for streamlining purposes?

Agree. I wouldn't say they raised rack rate for free dining. It just simply you are paying are getting your discount in the area of dining instead on the room . . . But for those of us who always get discounts it just works out to a different $$ saved. Whether it comes off the room or off the dining part.

1) Sound logical, but it is not.
2) At the fear of being redundant, Free Dining is paid by the hotel.
3) It is not a discount in/from dining.
4) The resort cost-center is charged, not the dining cost-center.
5) So, when the resort gives a dining discount, they need to make it up.
6) The resort general manager is still charged with making profit goals.
7) The rack-rate year-around is raised to cover the discount.
8) So, the people staying at Christmas, helps pay the free dining for August.

Hmm ... finally had the time to take a look at the new menu on allears. Don't think I'll be able to eat $33 worth of meat, especially since the chicken is the only thing that really appeals. If DH gets the skillet, I can just order apps and skip an entree right? (We're paying OOP, possibly getting TIW.) I thought I might want to to order off the kids menu but nothing there appealed and 3 of the apps sounded great (the salad, the leek soup, and the spring rolls, so I'll see which 2 I'm in the mood for that night). Plus our ADR is the night following our disembarking the Dream, so I'll probably still be full from the cruise ...

Sounds like a way to increase traffic to artist point to me. I don't like the menu changes at all, even the lunch menu is unappealing.

The vegetarian meals are a la carte upon request.

Absolutely!

Well we are one happy family then - we would all have ordered the skillet, don't have a problem with the swap of salad for vegetables, never very hungry for dessert so a platter is fine - if they only like one the kids can order more of that one and DD is doing a project on Native Americans and wanted to try the Navajo bread which is still on the app menu - can't wait

I'm not thrilled about this change, but eh, most of the dining changes in the post-DDP world haven't been well-received in our house.

I do have a question, though: Does each adult have to order the skillet, like at a buffet where each adult is charged? Is it possible for an adult to order just an appetizer?

I brought home a dinner menu with me.

Starters (not included in the family style platter)

-Western Chips with buffalo chili, cheese dip and fresh salsa

-Yukon Potato Leek Soup topped with candied smoked bacon

-Flash Fried Navajo Bread with citrus honey and tomato jam

-Arugula and Mixed Greens Salad with Washington State apples, candied pecans, rogue blue cheese and apple cider vinaigrette

-Smoked Salmon Quesadilla with arugula, frisee, tomato goat cheese, mozzarella and a side of pepper jam

-Slow Smoked Pulled Pork Spring Rolls with sweet chili dipping sauce

Build Your Own All You Care to Enjoy Family Platter

choice of three:
Kansas City style smoked pork ribs
herb baked chicken
hand carved oak roasted beef strip loin
citrus crusted market fish
western style sausage

sides for sharing:
seasonal farm fresh vegetables
herb crusted yukon gold potatoes
cowboy style baked beans
corn on the cob

Dessert Sampler Platter
Whispering Canyon chocolate cake
jalapeno lime cheesecake
apple-cranberry buckle

Kids Complete Meals for our guests ages 9 and under
served with choice of beverage-small bottled water, 100% apple juice or 1% Mickey milk

-Grilled fish of the day served with whole grain pilaf, veggies and fruit salad

-Multigrain grill cheese dippers served with carroteenies and sliced apples

-Meaty macaroni ground turkey with marinara sauce topped with mozzarella served with veggies and fruit salad

-Cheeseburger served with french fries and fruit salad

So all guests at the table must agree on 3 meat choices? DH and DD and I don't eat the same things. I guess we could always make 2 reservations and sit at two diff tables?:confused3 seriously though, what if you are a party of 12? You really only pick 3 meats and all agree on it?

If I'm paying $28.95 for an all you care to eat dinner, I expect a salad in there. I don't care what else new it comes with, if now I have to pay for a starter salad on top of almost $30? Another reason we don't need to eat here again.

Agreed! A bag of iceberg is $1 at Walmart. That,s ridiculous. Hope it doesn't happen at Ohana next!

If free dining is built into your room fee, why doesn't everyone that pays rack rate get it included every day, all year. :confused3 Are you saying when they offer free dining, they are charging more than Rack Rate for the rooms to cover the cost of the dining?

Rack rate is inflated to cover these sorts of expenses.

disneymagicgirl said:
So all guests at the table must agree on 3 meat choices? DH and DD and I don't eat the same things. I guess we could always make 2 reservations and sit at two diff tables?

No. When you read further, you'll see you can change the protein choice/s when you request "more".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter