Bias-free language guide at University of NH

Caucasian is just a very misused word - it classifies (incorrectly) by skin color, when it refers to a region between Europe and Asia. Its use dates back a few centuries, and it is just outdated now. I may have pale skin, but I am not Caucasian. Geneology shows no ancestor from that area for me, on record anyways.

Mothering and fathering are referring to stereotypes.

American - we just don't have a short word for "I am a citizen of the United States of America", so some dummy said he was American, forgetting that people from other countries are also on the American continents. It's not really offensive in my book, just stupid and narrowminded to assume all Americans are from the United States.

I know what they mean, personally I don't find them offensive. That was my point.

You can't say anything anymore without someone getting in a huff.

I'm over all the PC crap.

You can't say anything anymore without someone getting in a huff.

I'm over all the PC crap.

I'm not sure I'd classify a University encouraging students to be thoughtful about their words and the meaning behind them to be "getting in a huff," but if that's how you view it, so be it.

I'm not sure I'd classify a University encouraging students to be thoughtful about their words and the meaning behind them to be "getting in a huff," but if that's how you view it, so be it.

I think being offended by the terms stated in the original post are over the top.

Apparently I'm not the only one since the president of the university disavowed it.

That's all I'm saying.

American - we just don't have a short word for "I am a citizen of the United States of America", so some dummy said he was American, forgetting that people from other countries are also on the American continents. It's not really offensive in my book, just stupid and narrowminded to assume all Americans are from the United States.
Sheesh.The other nations on the American continents have names that lend themselves to naming their people--Canadians, Peruvians, etc. This country is the United States of America. It is neither stupid nor narrowminded for us to call ourselves Americans nor for others to call us that.

Sheesh.The other nations on the American continents have names that lend themselves to naming their people--Canadians, Peruvians, etc. This country is the United States of America. It is neither stupid nor narrowminded for us to call ourselves Americans nor for others to call us that.

And we should have one too, that doesn't assume so much. I just can't think of one besides "U.S. citizen". Oh wait, that would work!

Who gets to determine the hidden meaning?

I don't think it's so much about "hidden" meanings as much as it is about understanding that others may attach more import to certain words than you/I do. If you know how charged the "n" word is and still choose to use it, that's your choice. If you think it's ridiculous that someone may take offense at "mailman," and you want to shout it loudly from the rooftops, have at it. It's about being aware of the potential reaction and making your word choices accordingly.

I had a similar discussion with a friend many moons ago, about tongue piercings. Her position was that anyone wishing to get one needed to know what it "means." I had no idea that it had any particular connotation, and my position was that it didn't have to mean anything more than "I want to get my tongue pierced." I'm a little older and a little wiser now, and I can appreciate what she was saying. Even if someone's tongue piercing doesn't "mean" what other people might think it does, it is valuable to be aware of how others might perceive it.

Caucasian is just a very misused word - it classifies (incorrectly) by skin color, when it refers to a region between Europe and Asia. Its use dates back a few centuries, and it is just outdated now. I may have pale skin, but I am not Caucasian. Geneology shows no ancestor from that area for me, on record anyways.

Mothering and fathering are referring to stereotypes.

We have north americans, central americans and south americans to represent people from other countries within this hemisphere. Americans refers to citizens of the USA.

I don't think it's so much about "hidden" meanings as much as it is about understanding that others may attach more import to certain words than you/I do. If you know how charged the "n" word is and still choose to use it, that's your choice. If you think it's ridiculous that someone may take offense at "mailman," and you want to shout it loudly from the rooftops, have at it. It's about being aware of the potential reaction and making your word choices accordingly.
it.
Well, I've never used the "n" word. Really, don't know, why you would even throw that one out there. Yeah, I do think, some of the others are ridiculous. I live in a very diverse area and have never know anyone to be offended by the word mailman. I guess, the PC police look for new offenses regularly and update their list accordingly?

Well, I've never used the "n" word. Really, don't know, why you would even throw that one out there. Yeah, I do think, some of the others are ridiculous. I live in a very diverse area and have never know anyone to be offended by the word mailman. I guess, the PC police look for new offenses regularly and update their list accordingly?

I'm sorry, I meant the general "you," not you, specifically. And if I didn't make it clear, I support your right to think any or all of the examples in the OP are ridiculous. I only suggested that it is almost always valuable to know how others may interpret our words, when choosing what words to use. If you want to dismiss that as PC, again, that's your right.

You don't think a female letter
carrier would be offended to be called a mailman?

As a Canadian, I'd be super offended to be called an American so yeah, you guys can have that one.

As a Canadian, I'd be super offended to be called an American so yeah, you guys can have that one.

I do wonder if someone isn't trying to make a problem here where there isn't one. Granted, I haven't done a person-by-person poll of all Canadians, Mexicans, Peruvians, etc., but I've never encountered someone from outside the USA who has a problem with our citizens being identified as "Americans."

You don't think a female letter
carrier would be offended to be called a mailman?
OMG. Who uses the word, other than a loose reference to the postal worker, who delivers their mail? I don't call females men or visa versa.

:crazy:

OMG. Who uses the word, other than a loose reference to the postal worker, who delivers their mail? I don't call females men or visa versa.

Even though that can change. ;)

I wouldn't be the least bit offended to be called a "fill in the blank" man. Life is way too short to get bent out of shape about that. Now pay me fairly rather than less than men. THAT to me is a true problem.

Last edited:
Even though that can change. ;)

I wouldn't be the least bit offended to be called a "fill in the blank" man. Life is way too short to get bent out of shape about that. Now pay me fairly rather than less than men. THAT to me is a true problem.

You really wouldn't care if you were referred to as a man in your career? I honestly find that hard to believe. I wouldn't be offended, but I sure wouldn't like it.

If you think labels don't matter, try this. Next time your mailman/lady comes by, point to them and say to your husband..hey..there's our mail lady, I wonder what HIS name is. See if you don't get the strangest look or comment.

I think of it as a more generic term. Like Kleenex. I don't even know if mine is a male or a female. I guess mail carrier would be acceptable. I think people get their panties in a bunch about way too much stuff. And years ago no one would have heard what these loons were saying. Now with social media, they get an audience. Sadly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter