Better late then Never? A Christmas at the Dark Side 2014 TR

Upon exiting Small World the park was officially closed and the Christmas Party over. It was weird to see Fantasyland so empty. That was until we walked thru the Castle and saw the crowd trying to exit the park. We would take our time taking photos of our family along the way.

We also stopped by the Emporium to see if they had any of the exclusive Christmas Party Ornaments as we but an ornament for each of our trips. Sadly though they had already sold out of them. We would have done our Disney shopping before leaving the park. But when we had dinner earlier and buying that drink for Kena we got a 20% off Coupon good at Downtown Disney. So we decided to add an impromptu trip back to Downtown Disney in the morning to use the coupon on and Disney stuff we wanted.

And just like that our Disney day was over as we exited the Magic Kingdom to make our way back to our car. We had a great time at the Christmas Party and we were glad we did it. I think we paid $65 a person which was a much better value then a day ticket. And we still saw and did everything we would have done during the day anyways. Plus all the Christmas stuff. It was a great way to fit in some Disney to our Universal Orlando trip.

With that said I don’t know if we will do it again. Although it was amazing to see the Magic Kingdom at Christmas it kinda sucks that you have to buy a seperate party ticket to see that stuff. We have vacationed at Disneyland twice during the Christmas season and everything you had to pay to see at the Magic Kingdom is included in a regular Ticket at Disneyland. So I think we will stick to Disneyland for Christmastime vacations.

The other thing was the crowds. We couldn’t believe how crowded the parks were before and after the party started. And this was one of the slowest Christmas Parties of the year. Maybe Universal has just spoiled us but it gives us anxiety to go to Disney now between the crowds and rushing to meet FastPass+ times. I think it just has to be assumed that there will never be a slow time at Disney. Just choosing your preference degree of busy.

It was nearly 2am when we finally got back to the hotel. It had been a long night but a fun one. Now it was time to get what rest we could. Because tomorrow we would be packing up and heading home.

Day 7: Travel Home

Our final day of vacation was upon us. Tonight we would be home. But you better bet we were gonna make the most of the day before we needed to be at the airport.

After the late night at Disney we slept in as long as we could and checked out right at the required time. We still really enjoyed the Best Western and would stay there again in a heartbeat. Especially considering how cheap we can usually get it thru Hotwire. Oh and did I mention it's right across the street from Wet n' Wild? It will be very interesting to see what Universal does with that land when the water park closes at the end of 2016.

It would be another rushing final day of vacation where our first stop would be at Downtown Disney. If you recall the previous night we got 20% discount coupons for the World of Disney store which could be used until 1pm. Although we didn't plan to go to Downtown Disney again we decided to wait and buy any Disney merch so we could use that coupon.

Downtown Disney was much easier to get into during the day time then it was at night like the first night of our trip. We quickly walked thru all of the construction to use our coupons before they were no longer valid.

On the way out we did stop at the Lego Store to take a look around. This is where Kiera bought me one of my Christmas presents this year. There were two sets I had been wanting. The Back to the Future Delorean and the Ghostbusters Ecto-1. I was leaning towards the Delorean although I liked the detail of the Ecto-1 more. Seeing this Kiera made the decision for me and although it was more expensive she got me the Ghostbusters set. Come Christmas I was happier at the time. That was until I found the BTTF set is now discontinued and ridiculously expensive. With the Ghostbusters set still in Production I now wish I went with the Delorean instead.

We still had a couple hours until we needed to head to the airport so what better way to end the trip then spending it in our favorite place. Universal Orlando Resort. We still had a few things to buy and we couldn't leave without another Butterbeer anyways. Or that Jaws photo as well.

One last time on this trip we walked thru that Brick Wall and stepped foot in to Diagon Alley. We planned to just get the merchandise we wanted and some Butterbeer and be on our way. But upon seeing Gringotts with Just a 10 minute wait we figured what the heck. We will take a final ride. Using single riders we basically walked on to the attraction and if I recall correctly had the best ride we had yet on it.

From there we enjoyed the final ambiance of Diagon Alley. We bought a Gringotts bank note and interacted with the Goblin. We caught part of one of the shows. The dragon was incredible as always. And with our Butterbeers in hand. We exited Diagon Alley to sadly head home.

That final walk thru Universal is always that moment when it hits that this trip is over. We did make a quick stop at the Universal store though and then a final walk thru CityWalk where we seemed to catch many of Universal's good buys along the way.

After the long walk back to E.T. Parking (which we always got stuck parking in) we were on our way to the airport. We took the back way out passing the now fully opened Cabana Bay resort with hopes that someday we will get to stay there. We also passed the empty piece of land that will now occupy the Volcano Bay Water Park.

We made a stop to top the rental car off with gas and grabbed Chick-Fil-A for lunch and then made the short drive to the Airport for our flight home. Check in and security was a breeze and before we knew it we were at our gate.

We had made better time than we thought we would so we had a bit of a wait for our flight. But soon enough we boarded our plane and we were on our way to Chicago where we had a Layover. We decided to check Daniels Car Seat on the flights home to see how he would do in the seat on his own. It made it so much better not having to fight that seat in to a tight space.

It would be a short layover in Chicago with just enough time to grab dinner at one of our favorite sandwich shops called Potbelly's which we get everytime we stop in Chicago. It's not Earl of Sandwich good but still very good none the less.

We were soon back on the plane for the final leg of our journey back to Salt Lake City. This leg was uneventful as always and before we knew it we were landing and we were home. It was a sad feeling mostly to feel the very cold air as we got off the plane. A sad reminder that the trip was over and that it was actually the cold of winter back home.

It was another amazing trip. We love Universal Orlando and was very satisfied with our 1st Universal centric vacation. We were especially happy to finally see Diagon Alley after missing Soft Openings by just 10 days earlier in the summer. We couldn't wait to go back. I mean Universal just keeps giving us reasons to renew our Annual Pass.

At this time we wouldn't know when we would return as this would be the final vacation for our family of 3. Five weeks later we would find out that we were expecting our 2nd child and She would be due in September 2015. How this would change our vacationing we were unsure of.

First of all congratulations on your new arrival last September.......how lovely........hope everything went well!

Fantastic trip report.......love the time you took to add all the pictures, I know how time consuming it is. You did a great job on this one.......yes, better late than never :thumbsup2

Really enjoyed reading along with this one.......you certainly had a lot of fun and you all look as though you enjoyed it.........

Thank you for taking the time to write this, and look forward to the next one with your new addition to your family.......:wave2:

I just read through this. AND, it made me want to go at Christmas. Unfortunately, with my son now in school, can only go at the REALLY BUSY AND PRICEY time, so probably not this year. :( I suppose I just have to wait until after school this next year (luckily, in Kansas, we get out REALLY EARLY -- if no snow days). Anyway, WONDERFUL report. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter