Better late then Never? A Christmas at the Dark Side 2014 TR

We left the concert early mainly because by this point in the night we were starving. And we had plans to eat at Fast Food Blvd tonight located in the Springfield area of the park. While walking past the Transformers Meet and Greet we noticed Megatron out with no wait so we hopped in for a quick photo. Too bad I had the setting wrong on the camera at the moment.

When we got to Springfield Fast Food Blvd was pretty empty so we got our food pretty quickly. I decided to go with the Double Batter Chicken Platter, Keira a Turkey Wrap, and Kena a Krusty Burger. Fast Food Blvd has become a must do on our visits as the food is really good and there is such a large varity. There really is something for everybody.

We ate our food at a table in Moe's. Which closed early shortly after we sat down. We thought it was odd that they were closing early considering how popular Fast Food Blvd and especially Moe's is. That was until they brought out some boxes of Christmas Decorations and started decorating the Tavern. It was evident that a company must have rented out Moe's for there Christmas Party later this evening. It was neat having the whole Tavern to ourselves.

When we finished eating we only had 30 minutes until the parks would be closing for the evening. So what better way to end the night then to head back to Diagon Alley and get a ride in on Gringotts to end the day.

We obviously weren't the only ones that wanted to do that as when we entered the Bank we found a longer wait then we did the previous day. Although it was only slightly longer it did go down the hall and briefly outside before going in to the main Lobby. The Que for this attraction is so amazing and left us in Awe just like it did the 1st time. We picked up on a few extra details this time and we even got a closer view while in Bill Weasly's office. Danny wasn't as scared of the elevators this time as he was the day prior so that was good. Upon exiting the elevator we found they did Child Swap slightly different compared to the previous day. Before they sent our whole party to the elevator to go up to Child Swap. Then the riders waited in the short Disability assistance line. Tonight they sent only Kiera and Daniel to the elevator to go to Child Swap while Kena and I continued thru the main que. I don't know which way is usually done as this would be the final time we actually did Child Swap on the ride since you can't do Child Swap with Single Rider on this ride like all the others.

The 1st ride tonight with Kena was probably the worst ride I had on Gringotts as much of the sound effects weren't working in the car we were in. It was just weird. However when I rerode again with Kiera right afterwards that was our best ride. Such an incredible attraction that seemed to get better each time I rode it. I walked away tonight much more impressed with it then I did our 1st ride the day prior.

When we finished with Gringotts the park was officially closed for the night. It was so awesome to see Diagon Ally practically empty. We took our time as we left to take in the sights of this amazing land and to do a few of the Wand spots with no waits or someone else doing the illusion before you do. The few minutes we got to spend in a nearly empty Diagon Alley was one of the most magical of this trip.

We made our way to exit and eventually got back to the Hotel by 9pm. For the rest of the evening we just hung out and relaxed at the hotel. We loved that the ABC Family 25 days of Christmas were going on at the time so when we returned to our Hotel it was filled with watching some beloved Christmas Movies. Then it was off to bed to prepair for another fun filled day in the parks tomorrow.

Great update! I've worked my way through all of your trip reports! Some of the best ones out there!

you have a lovely family, and pictures are just wonderful! i'm really enjoying your trip report. i know i've said that before, but it bears repeating. this is just great!

Day 4: The Normal Day

Our 4th day of vacation was upon us and today since we saw all the Christmas festivities the day prior we decided to take it easy and took our time getting to the parks today. After breakfast at the hotel we loaded up the car and made the 2 minute drive to Universal where we were once again parked near the back corner in the E.T. Lot making for another long walk to CityWalk. Once we were there we made our way the the Studios where we would beginning our day.

This day is called the Normal Day because there really wasn’t anything too special about today. It was a normal day of touring the parks just like any of our other vacations. Upon entering the park we headed down the Hollywood section of the park to see if any Characters were out. But we unfortunately didn’t find any at this time.

At the end of Hollywood Blvd we made our way over to the Transformers Ride. This is a favorite of mine but not so much for the girls. Still they had to ride it at least once. The wait was only 20 minutes so we decided to actually wait standby instead of doing Single Rider and Child Swap. The que is detailed fairly well and it had been a while since I had seen the regular que so we waited it out. Daniel really enjoyed pushing all the buttons and knobs. The ride was great as always but again I don’t think its nearly as good as Spider-Man next door. Nonetheless its still a Do Not Miss in my opinion.

As we exited the Transformers ride Daniel started to run back to the stroller area when he tripped and fell right on to his Knees and hands. Luckly he caught himself before he hit his head but needless to say many tears were shed. We took him by the Dora Parade Float Meet and Greet but from his fall he just wasn’t filling it.

In hopes it would cheer him up a little bit (and because we knew Kena would enjoy it too) we decided to catch a showing of the Animal Actors Show. This show has many Animals that they bring out and are part of the show. They claim that Animals are famous movie animals but I don’t know if I 100% buy that. Still the show is cute for what it is and you never really know how the animals will react. Although the show was pretty much identical to when we saw it nearly 2 years prior. If you have kids or enjoy animals then I would say the show is worth seeing. But if your tight on time it can easily be skipped.

Daniel was still hurting despite enjoying the show so we decided to take him to the First Aid Center and see if they could help. His knees were scrapped up pretty badly. We got right in to the First Aid where the Nurse on hand was very nice and helpful. She had Daniel laughing and after cleaning up his Knees she gave him those oh so Magic Band-Aids and all of a sudden everything was better and he was happy the rest of the day.

Well with the exception of meeting Scooby and Shaggy anyways. Since Characters were out when we walked back down Hollywood Blvd we stopped to see these two but Daniel had a major freak out. Usually he loves them. So we decided to call off seeing any other Characters at this time.

After a quick stop to see the Delorean and Time Train (i’m a Huge BTTF fan) we entered Springfield. In hopes of continuing to cheer Daniel up we decided to do another attraction that he could do so we went to the Twirl and Hurl which is the newer Spinner that was added as part of the Springfield Expansion.

I don’t know if its the Alien or what but Daniel really doesn’t like this ride. He did all right on our previous trips but everytime we went near it this time he had a mini freak out. I really don’t understand as he loves One Fish, Two Fish at Islands which is the exact same thing. And at Least on Twirl and Hurl you stay dry. So after waiting in line he ended up not wanting to get on the ride so He and I waited out while the Girls rode.

Next up was a trip to Krustyland to go on the Simpson’s Ride. I always say that I’m still a bit bitter that this replaced Back to the Future which will always be my favorite Motion Simulator ride. Although after recently watching the ride footage on the BTTF Blu-Ray Set I have become more at peace with the ride being replaced as it was looking extremely dated. I’m sure many would be calling for its replacement if it was still around today. Plus the addition of Springfield around the Simpson’s Ride has also enhanced it and made it better. As an added perk in all my years and countless times going on the Simpson’s Ride I finally got to see the whole BTTF clip in the que video. So in my opinion the ride may not be as good as Back to the Future. Its not as good as Star Tours 2 ether. However its still very good and funny and one I consider a Do Not Miss.

While the Girls took a ride on the Simpsons I took Daniel to the Restroom and then bought him his most favorite Suvioneer ever. A book to hold pressed Penny’s.

Continuing around the Lagoon we next came to the Men in Black ride which is another Do Not Miss attraction in our opinion. This just isn’t the best interactive Dark Ride shooter in the resort but its the best Shooter ride I have ever done period. Yes better then Toy Story Midway Mania and Buzz Lightyear. In Men in Black you are shooting at actual 3d animatronics instead of screens and cardboard cutouts. The immersion is so much higher as is the quality of the attraction. I still think Men in Black has one of the best ques out there and really brings you in to the Men in Black Universe. This ride I also managed my highest score yet which still isn’t close to what I see some people getting. But then again I haven’t looked up the tips on how to max out the score.

Next up we entered London and eventually would make our way back in to Diagon Alley.

We spent a lot of time in Diagon this day just looking around at the different shop windows and looking for more Spell casting locations to use the wand at. Diagon Alley is seriously so amazing that you could spend hours like we did just taking in all the small details of the land. And we didn’t even go on Gringotts at this time.

For a snack this afternoon we decided to try out the Florean Fortescue’s Ice Cream. They wait was about 8 minutes but it was worth it. Kena tried the Butterbeer Ice Cream, while I went with Chocolate Chili and Chocolate Raspberry. Kiera I think got the Apple Crumble and Sticky Toffee Pudding. We were pretty satisfied with our choices as the Ice Cream was pretty good. I have been craving that Chocolate Chili since we left. Although we didn’t like the Butterbeer Ice Cream as much as we thought we would.

Tonight we planned on eating dinner at the Three Broomsticks over in Hogsmead so we exited Diagon Alley and made our way over to Kings Cross Station where we would catch the Hogwarts Express to head over to Islands of Adventure. It was great that for the rest of the trip we only had 10 minute waits for the train so it made park hopping a breeze.

Once we arrived in Hogsmead we decided to go take a ride on the Dragon’s Challenge Coasters since we hadn’t been on ether of them this trip. These 2 roller coasters are still awesome and must see rides. But they just aren’t the same since the dueling aspect was taken away from them. I am glad that I took photos (as usual) throughout the que as it will unfortunatly likely be the last time I will be able to. Since visiting Universal has added the Metal Detectors to this ride as well meaning no cameras or anything can go past that point. Not that it was the most well themed que around but there were still photos opportunities that any Potter freak would want.

For years the Blue Track (Hungarian Horntail or Ice) has been my favorite of the 2 coasters. Even with the Dueling aspect gone I still preferred the Blue because it still had near misses with building. Although I still think I like the Blue Track a little more the Red Track (Chinese Fireball or Fire) has gotten significantly better since the Hogwarts Express station was built as that coaster now has near misses with the building too.

After battling the Dragons we walked up to Hogwarts Castle for a ride on the Forbidden Journey using the Single Riders Line with Child Swap. We pretty much walked on and were off again in no time. I’m pretty sure we can’t visit IOA and not ride the Forbidden Journey.

Although the Wizarding World Hogsmead was the only section of Islands of Adventure that we visited this day we did make a quick stop by the Jurassic Park Arch. Kena and I both happened to be wearing Jurassic Park shirts so a photo with the Iconic Archway was a must.

As I mentioned earlier we planned on eating dinner tonight at the Three Broomsticks so thats where we went next. We had missed the Dinner rush so we had no wait to order and our food was out to us in no time. For dinner we ordered a Rib’s Platter, Chicken Platter, and a salad to share between the 4 of us. It may not seem like alot but you really do get a ton of food at the Three Broomsticks so it was enough to fill up all of us. We even ended the meal with some Butterbeers from the Hogs Head.

If I recall correctly Islands of Adventure had an earlier closing time this day then Universal Studios did so when we finished with our Dinner the Park and the Wizarding World were empty. We were within the hour of the park closing and we saw that the Hogsmead Olivander’s had no wait so in hopes of being picked for a wand Kena and I got in line for the show while Kiera waited with Daniel who was sleeping. We thought for sure Kena would be picked. That was until a family with 2 young kids got in line right before the door opened to the shop. And sure enough both of the young kids got picked for the show instead of Kena. Oh Well.

We soon meet back up with Kiera and Danny and made our way back to Hogsmead Station where we would catch the Hogwarts Express back to the Studios. There once again was no wait at all for the train and for the 1st time on this trip we actually had the entire train cabin to ourself for the ride back to London. The experience is much more fun when your not sharing a cabin with strangers.

When we got of the train and exited the station in London there was a cool chill in the air and Kiera was freezing to say the least. Earlier in the day I noticed a Universal Studios Hoodie in the Men in Black gift shop that I really liked. So while the Girls and Daniel went in to Diagon Alley to try and warm up I ran over to Men in Black to buy that Hoodie to help keep Kiera warm. I love seeing the Universal (and Disney too) parks after dark. I wish they stayed open later then they do.

After meeting back up we decided to make Gringott’s our final ride of the night. And since this is the only ride at Universal that you cannot use Child Swap with Single Rider I let the girls go on the ride using Single Rider first while I wandered around Diagon and Knockturn Alley with Daniel looking for new spell casting locations.

When the girls returned it was then my turn to take a ride on Gringott’s and using Single Rider I figured I would be on in no time. Unfortunatly there was a short breakdown of about 5 minutes though right before I was to board a vehicle. Still it was another great ride.

With time still to spare before Universal Studios Florida closed for the night we decided to use the rest of the time to check out some of the Diagon Alley shops. So first we stopped by Madam Malkin’s where you can purchase your Hogwarts clothing supplies. I guess they will also do a whole “robe fitting” thing as well but we didn’t do this. We just looked around the shop. Attached to it for the shops “que” (it wasn’t as popular as expected) was a an empty room with owls. This has since been remodeled in to the new Shutterbutton’s location.

Our next stop was in to Weasleys’Wizard Wheezes which is a huge improvement of a Joke and Novelty shop over the old Zonko’s in Hogsmead. The shop carries alot more items and its much larger and more detailed then Zonko’s was. Attached to the shop on one side was the old Shutterbutton’s location which I hear is being turned into a sweets shop similar to Honeydukes. Also attached is Quality Quidditch Supplies which sells merchandise and anything related to the Wizarding Sport.

We were mere minutes away from the park closing for the night so we quickly went in to the Leaky Cauldron to get some Butterbeer before park closing. We got our usual Frozen but we also wanted to try something new. It was a chilly night so now would be the perfect time to try the new Warm Butterbeer. And WOW is it good. I never thought a drink would rival the Frozen Butterbeer but this comes pretty darn close. I don’t even know how to describe it but I would say its easily my favorite “Hot Drink”. Give it a try. Especially on a cold night.

And with drinks in hand the park officially closed for the night and so we made our way to the parks exit to head back to the hotel. Although we did make a quick stop by the Minion Mayhem Gift Shop so Daniel could get some Minion Penny’s. Then it was back to the car.

Tonight was another night where when we returned to the Hotel we just stayed in the remainder of the night watching Christmas Movies and just relaxing. Tomorrow would be another day at Universal and our final full day at the Universal Parks.

Day 5: The Wet Day

Our final full day at Universal Orlando was upon us. And we would strive to make the most of it. We woke up early and were in the resort only 45 minutes after the parks opened for the day. We had much ahead of us today. All but one thing anyways. The Rain. We had seen a little bit of rain already on this trip but nothing lasting more then 15 minutes at a time. Today would be different as it rained all day long. It was cooler but manageable and the rain never became a down poar. Just a light drizzle.

Today we started out the day in Islands of Adventure where we would focus on doing rerides on the attractions we loved most in this park. We spent a little bit of time in the Port of Entry where Daniel loved many of the props set up.

We would start the day in Seuss Landing where we planned to hit up Cat in the Hat since it is one of the few rides Daniel could do and one that he loves most. But upon seeing the “If I Ran the Zoo” playground he decided he needed to go check that out first. This little play area is one he loves to visit each trip and has lot of interactive elements to it. You can easily spend a lot of time in there.

When we finished at the Zoo we made our way to our intended starting point of Cat in the Hat which of course he loved as always. I just wish I could say I loved this ride as much as I use to but with the spinning removed and being so toned down it just isn’t that exciting anymore.

Once done with the ride we noticed that the Dr. Seuss characters that come out during “Oh the Stories you will hear” were doing there Meet and Greets again so we stopped to see the characters which again Daniel just loved. Plus the Thing’s were out this time.

We stopped back in to the Cat in the Hat exit shop so Daniel could get some pressed Pennies. We also took a photo of Kiera with the shirt in the photo below as a joke. Little did we know that in less then 1 month she actually would become pregnant with our 2nd child.

Now done with Seuss Landing we decided to head in the opposite direction and head back to Marvel Superhero Island to ride Spiderman. We would have done Hulk as well but the rain had picked up a bit and we didn’t want to ride the coaster in the rain. Of course now I look back and wish we would have rode as it currently closed for refurbishment.

Spiderman was practically a walk on so we had another amazing ride in no time. Then we were done with Marvel for the day.

For the next few minutes the rain came down the hardest it did all day which still wasn’t too bad. But none the less we quickly walked to our next destination. Shockingly this would be the only time on this entire vacation that we would pass thru Toon Lagoon. With the Wet and Cold weather we really didn’t want to do the 2 wet rides in this land. And we obviously weren’t alone as the rides were empty. The whole land was empty actually. Its interesting that our touring style changed so much do to the Hogwarts Express that we practically missed a whole land on this trip.

Currently under construction between Toon Lagoon and Jurassic Park is Skull Island: Reign of Kong. Of course at the time of this trip the attraction hadn’t been officially announced yet. Its odd looking at these photos and seeing the framework for the facade just being started as the facade is currently nearing completion. We look forward to experiencing this new attraction in 2016. I would have taken more photos but with the rain I didn’t want to stand around too long.

Jurassic Park is one of my favorite themed lands ever. And it is home to one of my favorite rides ever in the Jurassic Park River Adventure (although Hollywood’s is better). Up to this point I had not gone on this ride yet this trip and this might be my last chance to go on it. So despite the rain (that was letting up some) I decided to go on the ride. The girls of course didn’t want to chance getting anymore wet though so I went alone in a nearly empty boat. The ride was great as always with the exception of the boat stopping right before the T-Rex because a guy wouldn’t listen to put his GoPro away.

The family waited for me in the exit gift shop to get our of the rain and then we continued on thru the rest of Jurassic Park as we made our way to Hogsmead.

Back in the Wizarding World our first stop was at Hogwart’s for a ride on the Forbidden Journey. Since the wait for the ride was only 10 minutes we decided to walk thru the regular standby line again instead of using the Single Rider line. This was actually the 1st time we had gone thru the normal line more then once in a single trip. The que is seriously an attraction unto itself and it was awesome to be able to take our time going thru it. The ride was awesome again as usual.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter