Best Way to Cure Disney Depression? Plan Another Trip! A Solo PTR *Updated 5/13 TR Link

PippiDancer

Mouseketeer
:welcome:Hi Everyone!:welcome:

I have always loved Disney but my obsession was sparked on my last trip to Disney World in January 2013 (read all about it here). I have been in deep post-Disney depression ever since! I’ve been dying to plan another trip but I have been on the hunt for a different job and couldn’t plan much without knowing what I would be doing this coming year. But now, a new job has been secured and that means it is finally time to start planning a trip! And since I haven’t been able to find anyone to go with me I will be going on my very first solo trip!

Let’s get to know each other a little better!
330c9b4e-7f1e-476b-9b72-c4a29a261a30_zps0b172979.jpg

I’m Jess! 23. Disney Lover. Dancer. Aspiring kindergarten teacher. Favorite Disney character is Minnie. Favorite princess is Belle. Favorite park is Magic Kingdom.

I don’t have many details planned yet, but I just couldn’t wait to start sharing my plans with all you fellow DISers! I would love to hear any comments, experience, and advice you are willing to share!

Chapter Links
The Basics
Dining Plan: Yes or No?
Problems of a Disney Planning Addict
It's Official!!
Mickey Mail!
Disney Bucket List
Trip Wish List
Rough Plans
6 Months!
The Food Post
Happy Halloween!
Pin Trading
Flight Options
Flights Booked
Must Do - Magic Kingdom
Must Do - Epcot
Must Do - Animal Kingdom
Memory Maker
Must Do - Hollywood Studios
Make-up for Birthdays Past
Quick Update
A Very Disney Christmas
Schedule Changes
Double Digit Dance
Must Do - Miscellaneous
Fastpass+ Plans
Magical Mail
Testing, Testing, 1 2 3
Fastpass Success
Be Our Guest
Next Month!
Flower & Garden Goodies
Daily Plans - Arrival Day
Daily Plans - Day 2
Daily Plans - Day 3
Daily Plans - Day 4
Daily Plans - Day 5
Is This Really Happening?
Daily Plans - Day 6
Daily Plans - Day 7
Daily Plans - My Birthday
My Attempt at Being Crafty
TOMORROW!!
I'm Back
TR Link!

Last edited:

Planning is half the fun!

I love planning! I've actually planned a few trips for some of my mom's friends. I enjoyed it, but it is torture planning a trip for some one else when you can't plan your own. I can't wait to finally be able toplan for myself!

I'm here, I'm here! Totally onboard. Mad love for the solo travelers! :hug:

OMG, how funny! These are my favorites too!!! :hyper: (My favorite park is Epcot, though... LOL)

Hi! :wave2: Minnie and Belle are the best! How could you not love them? Epcot is my second favorite park. But, for me, nothing can beat the pure Disney magic of Magic Kingdom.

You're right! Planning another trip is the only cure!!! :thumbsup2

There is no other way!

Who?
Me. Just me. It’s going to be a solo adventure!

I was going to go with my best friend, but she won’t be able to afford a trip this year. At least I have an excuse to go next year, right? I don’t have anyone else to go with, so my choice were solo-Disney or no-Disney. An obvious choice.

I’m really nervous about going on a solo trip. I’m a very introverted/shy person, so I’m worried I’ll get lonely or feel awkward doing things alone. But I’m also really excited to be able to do whatever I want without having to worry about anyone else.

When?
I always swore that I would never go to Disney World during school vacations because of the crowds. I much prefer off season; lower crowds, lower cost, shorter wait times. However, since my new job is in the public school system, I don’t get any vacation time outside of school breaks. This restricted me to either February or April vacation. After doing some research and looking at a ton of crowd calendars, I decided that April was the better time to go.

My trip will be during the week of April 18-26 2015.

The best thing about this week? My birthday is on April 25. Is there a better way to spend your birthday than being in Disney World? I don’t think so

I would usually fly back on Saturday so I can have a buffer day before going back to work, but I don’t want to have to leave Disney on my birthday. That’s too depressing. So I will be returning on the 26th. I haven’t decided an arrival date, but I’m leaning towards the 19th.

Where?
Since this will be a budget trip, I’ll be staying at a value resort. I’ve narrowed it down to Pop Century or a Little Mermaid room at Art of Animation.

Pop is cheaper. But I’ve been dying to stay at AoA since it opened. So, I’m leaning towards AoA.

Me. Just me. It’s going to be a solo adventure!

I was going to go with my best friend, but she won’t be able to afford a trip this year. At least I have an excuse to go next year, right? I don’t have anyone else to go with, so my choice were solo-Disney or no-Disney. An obvious choice.

I’m really nervous about going on a solo trip. I’m a very introverted/shy person, so I’m worried I’ll get lonely or feel awkward doing things alone. But I’m also really excited to be able to do whatever I want without having to worry about anyone else.
I relate to this 100%! My upcoming trip in 2 weeks was supposed to be me and friend, also. I've been waiting 5 years to go back, and that's the longest I've ever gone between trips in my adult life, and it's taken so long due to not having anybody to go with me. So when my friend backed out due to financial reasons, I had to make the same decision. I too am very shy & introverted. On the other hand, I was raised and only child and live alone, and am very very comfortable in my own company. I am nervous about getting lonely too, but honestly, more than anything, I'm SO excited to be going solo, and finally able to have a trip where I get to go whatever I want, whenever I want, however I want! :goodvibes So excited in fact, I'm already planning my trip for 2015!

The best thing about this week? My birthday is on April 25. Is there a better way to spend your birthday than being in Disney World? I don’t think so
I agree! My 2015 trip is for my birthday also! :hyper:

Since this will be a budget trip, I’ll be staying at a value resort. I’ve narrowed it down to Pop Century or a Little Mermaid room at Art of Animation. Pop is cheaper. But I’ve been dying to stay at AoA since it opened. So, I’m leaning towards AoA.
We're so similar! I had to decide between the same two resorts! I chose Pop Century for this year's trip, because I can get a significant discount (30%) through work on it (but not Art of Animation). And since I'm hoping not to be at this job anymore by December 2015, I'm saving AoA for next year, as I'll probably have to pay rack rate anyhow. :teeth:

Excited to read more of your plans, Jess! :thumbsup2

I relate to this 100%! My upcoming trip in 2 weeks was supposed to be me and friend, also. I've been waiting 5 years to go back, and that's the longest I've ever gone between trips in my adult life, and it's taken so long due to not having anybody to go with me. So when my friend backed out due to financial reasons, I had to make the same decision. I too am very shy & introverted. On the other hand, I was raised and only child and live alone, and am very very comfortable in my own company. I am nervous about getting lonely too, but honestly, more than anything, I'm SO excited to be going solo, and finally able to have a trip where I get to go whatever I want, whenever I want, however I want! :goodvibes So excited in fact, I'm already planning my trip for 2015!

I agree! My 2015 trip is for my birthday also! :hyper:

We're so similar! I had to decide between the same two resorts! I chose Pop Century for this year's trip, because I can get a significant discount (30%) through work on it (but not Art of Animation). And since I'm hoping not to be at this job anymore by December 2015, I'm saving AoA for next year, as I'll probably have to pay rack rate anyhow. :teeth:

Excited to read more of your plans, Jess! :thumbsup2

It's like we are planning the same trip! Crazy. :goodvibes

Hi Jess! I just stumbled on this and I'm excited to read along.

I think a solo trip will be nice - you get to do only the things you like and don't have to suffer through something you don't enjoy for someone else's sake.

Where?
Since this will be a budget trip, I’ll be staying at a value resort. I’ve narrowed it down to Pop Century or a Little Mermaid room at Art of Animation.

Pop is cheaper. But I’ve been dying to stay at AoA since it opened. So, I’m leaning towards AoA.

I love AoA. The Little Mermaid rooms are a bit further from the main hall & buses than the suites, but I think the incredible themeing more than makes up for it. I think my favorite part is the shower - it looks like you're inside Ariel's grotto, surrounded by all of her treasures! (I'm sure you can find a picture online, but if you can't and you want to see what it looks like, let me know and I can post my picture from my last trip).
I think that as long as the price difference isn't too steep, you should try AoA. I highly recommend it.

I'm looking forward to seeing what decision you make and how the rest of your plans come along!

Please don't be nervous about a solo trip! Some of my very favorite trips to Disney have been solo affairs! You will find that many, many people on the Dis are solo trip veterans :goodvibes. I am so excited for you! Also, bring a book or something so you can occupy yourself in line if that helps. You might find, like khaleesi did, that solo Disney time brings you out of your shell :goodvibes If you aren't already subscribed to her TR, you totally should! :thumbsup2

Hi Jess! I just stumbled on this and I'm excited to read along.

I think a solo trip will be nice - you get to do only the things you like and don't have to suffer through something you don't enjoy for someone else's sake.

I love AoA. The Little Mermaid rooms are a bit further from the main hall & buses than the suites, but I think the incredible themeing more than makes up for it. I think my favorite part is the shower - it looks like you're inside Ariel's grotto, surrounded by all of her treasures! (I'm sure you can find a picture online, but if you can't and you want to see what it looks like, let me know and I can post my picture from my last trip).
I think that as long as the price difference isn't too steep, you should try AoA. I highly recommend it.

I'm looking forward to seeing what decision you make and how the rest of your plans come along!

Welcome and thanks for reading!! I've seen a ton of pics of AoA online, the rooms are so gorgeous! It is only like a $100 difference between Pop and AoA, so I'm 95% sure that I'll be going with AoA. It is on my Disney Bucketlist after all.

Please don't be nervous about a solo trip! Some of my very favorite trips to Disney have been solo affairs! You will find that many, many people on the Dis are solo trip veterans :goodvibes. I am so excited for you! Also, bring a book or something so you can occupy yourself in line if that helps. You might find, like khaleesi did, that solo Disney time brings you out of your shell :goodvibes If you aren't already subscribed to her TR, you totally should! :thumbsup2

Thank you! I'm so excited to be going back to Disney that I forget all about the nervousness :rotfl: but I'll probably remember it very well right before I leave. I'm always looking for new TRs to read (they fuel my addiction), I'll definitely check it out!

I love Disney restaurants, they are a huge part of the experience for me and I have a somewhat large bucket list of of places I want to try. However, I made the tough decision not to do any TS restaurants this time around. There were to major reasons behind this; 1) it would save a very large amount of money and 2) I’d feel somewhat awkward eating in a TS place alone (and I don’t want to push the anxiety too much on my first solo trip). Also it will give me a chance to eat at all the wonderful QS locations that I have yet to try.

This left me with another decision to make. Quick Service Dining Plan, yes or no?

I love love love the DDP. It was the only reason we were able to go to so many amazing restaurants on our last trip. But with the QS plan, I wanted to make sure the cost would be worth it. I made a list of all the snacks and restaurants I would like to eat at, then I looked at the menus to approximate prices, and added everything up.

The results? Approximately $211
Cost of the dining plan? About $293

I’m not sure which I would prefer at this point.

When I did the math originally, I thought the dining plan cost around $500 and with such a hug difference I decided it definitely wasn’t worth it. But now that I realize there is only a $80 difference, opposed to $300, I’m undecided.

The QS plan only comes with 2 meals per day and I would probably end up eating 3 meals most days, so I would end up having to pay out of pocket for some meals. Usually I would say the convenience of the DDP would be worth the small difference, but I think it might be a hassle to try to figure out which meals would be the most expensive in order to get the most out of the plan. Also, I don’t really need the desserts that come with every meal on the plan.

Any suggestions?

Get that DDP and do your TS meals, girl! It's only a little more cost-wise, and you can start crossing off of your bucket list! Eat at the ones you want to try, but maybe others you've traveled with haven't! Don't worry about it being awkward, the CMs are totally used to solo travelers and will take very good care of you! Bring a book, or maybe use that time to update your Facebook/Twitter/Instagram/Whatever about your adventures! :)

Get that DDP and do your TS meals, girl! It's only a little more cost-wise, and you can start crossing off of your bucket list! Eat at the ones you want to try, but maybe others you've traveled with haven't! Don't worry about it being awkward, the CMs are totally used to solo travelers and will take very good care of you! Bring a book, or maybe use that time to update your Facebook/Twitter/Instagram/Whatever about your adventures! :)

The DDP with TS restaurants would be around $500, which is kinda high for my budget this time around. Plus, I'm already going to be way out of my comfort zone just going on a solo trip, I think that doing restaurants alone would push my anxiety level over the edge to the point that it would make my trip less enjoyable. Baby steps. If I love solo-ing I will definitely add TS meals into the plans for my next solo trip!

PippiDancer said:
The DDP with TS restaurants would be around $500, which is kinda high for my budget this time around. Plus, I'm already going to be way out of my comfort zone just going on a solo trip, I think that doing restaurants alone would push my anxiety level over the edge to the point that it would make my trip less enjoyable. Baby steps. If I love solo-ing I will definitely add TS meals into the plans for my next solo trip!
Ohhh, I misunderstood! I thought you were saying that the $293 was for the DDP, not the DQSP. My mistake!

Honestly, FWIW, as a travel agent, I rarely recommend the DQSP. I don't feel the numbers come out to be a savings. I mean, you illustrated above that you would save money if you just go OOP. If our were me, that's how I would do it.

What do you feel the benefits would be of paying the extra $80 to be on the plan?

Ohhh, I misunderstood! I thought you were saying that the $293 was for the DDP, not the DQSP. My mistake!

Honestly, FWIW, as a travel agent, I rarely recommend the DQSP. I don't feel the numbers come out to be a savings. I mean, you illustrated above that you would save money if you just go OOP. If our were me, that's how I would do it.

What do you feel the benefits would be of paying the extra $80 to be on the plan?

I wasn't able to include everything in my pricing because I couldn't find some things on menus, so I wasn't sure if the $80 gap would disappear with those things added in. But I'm pretty sure I'm going to going without a plan.

All I want to do is plan for Disney. But I’ve hit a planning wall, there isn’t much left that I can do until park hours and flight times get released.

I JUST WANT TO DO DISNEY THINGS!!!!!
tumblr_inline_n45po93zKO1rk1qfo.gif

I’m sure you guys can relate. :rotfl:

But moving on to actual planning things....

I signed up for a Disney Visa, I should be getting it in the mail next week! I really don’t like credit cards, but I couldn’t resist being able to earn reward points to use at Disney. Any little bit helps. Also the exclusive Visa character meet didn’t hurt either.

I was curious (and in strong need of anything Disney) so I was reading up about all the Visa perks. I never thought about doing any tours (at least not until far into the future) but I was looking into all of the tours that qualify for the 20% off discount. And discovered 2 things:

1) I need to do the Wild Africa Trek tour at some point in my life. (It isn’t covered under the discount, but it caught my eye) It looks like so much fun! It would be such an amazing experience to get to see so many animals up close and from a different perspective. But, at $189, it is too expensive to consider doing anytime soon. But it has been added to my Disney Bucket List!

2) The Marceline to Magic Kingdom Tour. I’d never heard of it before and the name isn’t exactly attention grabbing, but it was on the list so I checked it out. It is seems like it is basically a light version of the Keys to Kingdom Tour. And it is only $30!! $24 with the Visa discount. Totally do-able.

Like I said, I hadn’t really considered doing a tour, but it would be fun to do something special for my birthday. I’m seriously considering doing Marceline to Magic Kingdom. You get into the park before opening, it would be 3 hours long, and is very affordable. And I would love to hear some behind the scenes facts about Disney.

Has anyone done this tour? Would you recommend it? Has anyone done a tour solo?

I've never done a tour, but I watch a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff on TV (seriously, there are like 5 shows that Destination American shows over and over again and I watch them every time they're on). There is a lot of really interesting stuff, and I'm sure they cover a lot of it in the tours. I think it would be a really cool thing to do, and it's certainly worth looking into more.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful ... but keep us updated on your decision!

I've never done a tour, but I watch a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff on TV (seriously, there are like 5 shows that Destination American shows over and over again and I watch them every time they're on). There is a lot of really interesting stuff, and I'm sure they cover a lot of it in the tours. I think it would be a really cool thing to do, and it's certainly worth looking into more.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful ... but keep us updated on your decision!

I love those behind the scenes TV specials! I've seen them all a hundred time. I have the newest one on dvr and watch it whenever I'm craving Disney

It is official! I’m going to Disney World!

I just booked my trip!:hyper:

quotyourcartquot_zpsc8ca304a.jpg

It somehow makes it seem real. I am really going. Not just thinking about it. But actually going!! Somebody pinch me.

I’M SO EXCITED!!!

Now that my excited rant is over, I’m sure you probably want some details.

When? Sunday April, 19 to Sunday April, 26
Where? Art of Animation, Little Mermaid Standard room.
What? 7-day park hopper

209 days to go!

countdown209_zps77888807.jpg

(don’t you love the little counter on the Disney site?):cloud9:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter