Best Time of Year to buy DVC Resale

melindaPR

Mouseketeer
I'm wondering if any of you have noticed a better time of the year to look for and find good resale contracts. Maybe it's towards the end of the year, as MF are approaching for owners? Or, do you think it varies based on UY? It doesn't seem like there are as many contracts right now as other times of year, but I haven't been watching the resale market long enough to recognize a pattern. Just curious if any of you have noticed a time of year when more owners are deciding to sell their contracts.

I have 3 contracts and am about to list two of them - my timing reason was that I used one of the two for a vacation starting 1/27. You can't settle on a contract until after a booked vacation so that is why I waited. A lot of the owners authorize monthly debits out of their bank accounts for the fees so i only pay mine 1/12th at a time so I don't know if that factors in. If other folks are waiting until after they take vacations using the points then less people vacation in the winter so maybe less available? Just a thought.

Just from my observations, a lot of people tend to buy contracts with their income tax refunds/annual bonuses, so it seems March-May are busier buying times. We are actually looking at purchasing right now and hoping to get a good offer in before the tax refund checks come out!

I'd be surprised if there's any consistent rhyme or reason to it. DVC people travel a little differently than other Disney goers (ever try to get ressies 7 months out for the first two weeks of December, an otherwise "off" season?) but there's still enough to fill most weeks.

Two of the most common reasons for selling -- can't afford the financing, or you realize you simply don't (want to) travel to Disney as much as you thought you would anymore, can spring up at any time.

I would say that there is a spike in contracts for sale when MF are due. So end of December and the month of January. So if you are looking to buy now is a good time.

Interesting insights. Assuming our contract makes it through ROFR (30 days, including weekends and holidays, is next Friday!), I won't be in the market for at least a few years. It is cool to get perspectives on pro DVC owners, sellers, and buyers who have been watching these listings for longer than I have. Thanks!

I would say that there is a spike in contracts for sale when MF are due. So end of December and the month of January. So if you are looking to buy now is a good time.

That's what I had heard, but have not seen it this year.

Prices have been inching upwards this past year, so until Disney starts to sell GF, prices will probably remain stable.. What I noticed though the best time to buy loaded or fully loaded contracts are mid year (you may have a better chance of seller paying MF too).

That's what I always thought, but it doesn't seem to be happening this year. If anything prices seem to be a little bit higher this year then this time last year. And definitely less supply of BWV contracts.

That's what I always thought, but it doesn't seem to be happening this year. If anything prices seem to be a little bit higher this year then this time last year. And definitely less supply of BWV contracts.

I believe this is completely a supply (or lack thereof) issue. Fewer contracts seem available.
Stephen

I agree that this year there doesn't seem to be a ton of contracts on the market. I did just agree on one and waiting for the contact to sign so it can go to ROFR. Got a 150 BLT for $83 pp. I paid MF seller paid closing. It was my UY which seems to lacking in BLT contracts lately. I am happy with it.

DougEMG said:

Oddly, BWV are selling relatively cheap in the mid-50's

I think listings go up when new membership fees are announced... People on the bubble about selling see the increased rates and put their contract on the market.

I paid MF seller paid closing. It was my UY which seems to lacking in BLT contracts lately. I am happy with it.

I am about to make an offer on a resale at BWV. You stated that the "seller" will be paying the closing cost. Is this common? or is this something which must be negotiated with the seller and broker?

I am about to make an offer on a resale at BWV. You stated that the "seller" will be paying the closing cost. Is this common? or is this something which must be negotiated with the seller and broker?

Anything can be negotiated. However, in the far majority of cases the buyer pays the closing costs. You will get more mileage negotiating the price per point as buyers tend to find it less offensive, for lack of a better word. Good luck!

I had to negotiate this with the seller. After we agreed on price I gave them the option of paying MF or closing. They chose closing since it was less than MF.

Was looking at a resale and it stated the purchaser would be responsible for all dues owed. Is this a normal condition? Or is the seller trying to only pay closing costs?

bakerworld said:
Was looking at a resale and it stated the purchaser would be responsible for all dues owed. Is this a normal condition? Or is the seller trying to only pay closing costs?

Everything is typically negotiable in a resale sale. If that seller is rigid about wanting to be reimbursed for MFs, I'd lower your per point offer price accordingly.

Everything is typically negotiable in a resale sale. If that seller is rigid about wanting to be reimbursed for MFs, I'd lower your per point offer price accordingly.

Agreed. I'd also like to add that the expectation of most sellers (and the brokers in my opinion) is that they will have their maintenance fees reimbursed. So while you can get away with not having to do it, it's a bit of an uphill battle. You're better off doing like Missy said and offering to reimburse fees and lowering your offer price accordingly.

That's what I had heard, but have not seen it this year.
This seems to be true generally. We've been having similar discussions on TUG, and buyers are finding the pickings much slimmer this year than they have been in the past in all sorts of areas for timeshare.

That does make a certain amount of sense. The recession flushed out a *lot* of inventory over the past few years, so anyone whose finances were marginal has probably already gotten out. At the same time, there certainly seems to be a continuing rebound in travel demand.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter