Best small to mid size suv

Subaru isn't a bad car, good quality stuff. Not my personal taste...they still haven't mastered the art of a nice interior and they struggle with mpg, but they're fine cars.

The newer Outbacks have a pretty nice interior (I have a 2015) and the gas mileage on the Outback is pretty good (up to 33 HWY) for the 4 cylinder. For such a heavy vehicle (and the Outback feels large inside), I'm rather impressed with the Outback's fuel efficiency. When we bought the car, it was doing as well in fuel efficiency as their smaller Crosstrek. I realize this is the 4 cylinder model, so maybe their 6 cylinder stinks, but the OP is looking for a small to mid size SUV and I think the Outback fares pretty well with fuel compared to others in it the small to midsize class.

I haven't read all of the replies, but I drive a 2013 Mazda CX-5. Great vehicle, moderately priced, nice features and great gas mileage. It's not a huge one, they have CX-9s that I think have a third row, but I do love it.

I will also add that I live in an area that gets a lot of snow. Sometimes 12-18 inches at at time. I also drive on the interstate to my parents' pretty frequently, often in the snow. I've never had any issues! Just got my tires replaced this spring after 3 years.

Here's a video about different manufactures AWD systems. It's a little dated but offers some insight on how all AWD vehicles are not created equal. I thought some on here might find it interesting:
Very convincing vid..... makes me want to go front-wheel drive to save money if it's not a Suburu.

If you do live somewhere snowy, the AWD is a tremendous asset! They have cut back on snowplowing here, so no AWD or 4WD often means you don't make it up the hill. Go Subaru!
Yes-this! I live in Buffalo, and sometimes we get little snow, and other times we get walloped, like in 2015-7 feet of snow, that was fun.

I was surprised at the cargo space in the Forester. I have a 4 door sedan right now after driving 2 mini vans. I hate the sedan. Hate. It. I want to sit up high again and while I don't have little kids anymore, either, I still want the space. Both the Forester and Outback have space, I will give Subaru that. I will also give them that there are not a lot of used ones in the lots so that must mean something. Consumer Reports always rates them so well. I just have to decide which it will be - Forester or Outback.

We were deciding between the two also, went with the forester because the top of the hatch on the forester is wider than the outback.

We will have to agree to disagree. During my 41 years living on the East coast of Canada, I'll take the AWD any day.

All things being equal, as in putting snow tires on both the FWD car and on the AWD car--I believe the AWD car will outperform the FWD car on snow-covered hills.

My only experience with RWD in snow involved a car with studded snow tires--it was absolutely useless.

My Winter car is a lowered MINI Cooper with snow tires. I can literally drive circles around anything on All Seasons. I had an '88 Mazda 323 GTX with AWD and Blizzaks and it was phenomenal. But the secret about AWD systems is not the power to each wheel. What it does is it takes the power AWAY from the wheel that is slipping. A skilled driver can modulate that with the gas pedal and not have to pay the weight and MPG penalty year round.

Yeah, but the most FUN is something like a Mustang on all seasons in an empty parking lot. Or at least that's what I've heard... :rolleyes1

My Winter car is a lowered MINI Cooper with snow tires. I can literally drive circles around anything on All Seasons. I had an '88 Mazda 323 GTX with AWD and Blizzaks and it was phenomenal. But the secret about AWD systems is not the power to each wheel. What it does is it takes the power AWAY from the wheel that is slipping. A skilled driver can modulate that with the gas pedal and not have to pay the weight and MPG penalty year round.

Not just the gas pedal; the gearbox plays a part. This kind of compensating is best done with a manual transmission, which is getting to be a very rare thing in SUV's, but notably broadly available in two brands: Subaru and Mini-Cooper.

(I had a manual FWD Subaru when they still made them, and I *loved* that car. I don't need AWD and for reasons of economy, prefer not to have it, so Subaru has been off my list for awhile. If they went back to offering a FWD model, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.)

Last edited:
Not just the gas pedal; the gearbox plays a part. This kind of compensating is best done with a manual transmission, which is getting to be a very rare thing in SUV's, but notably broadly available in two brands: Subaru and Mini-Cooper.

(I had a manual FWD Subaru when they still made them, and I *loved* that car. I don't need AWD and for reasons of economy, prefer not to have it, so Subaru has been off my list for awhile. If they went back to offering a FWD model, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.)
When I took delivery of my '05 MINI S they had just started ofering automatics in the S model. The CVTs in the base model were all failing. Last time I visited my dealership they didn't have a single stick shift car in stock. It's sad.

Very interesting. My Jetta is a tank, I love it in snow and ice but I assumed that since it sits so low it would not be a good choice for where I am moving to, which happens to be MI. I'm taking it to CarMax tomorrow. If they don't offer me a decent $, I'll just keep it and see how it goes.

I haven't read all of the replies, but I drive a 2013 Mazda CX-5. Great vehicle, moderately priced, nice features and great gas mileage. It's not a huge one, they have CX-9s that I think have a third row, but I do love it.

I will also add that I live in an area that gets a lot of snow. Sometimes 12-18 inches at at time. I also drive on the interstate to my parents' pretty frequently, often in the snow. I've never had any issues! Just got my tires replaced this spring after 3 years.
Wife just fell in love with cx 5. Test drive tomorrow

Last edited:
Very interesting. My Jetta is a tank, I love it in snow and ice but I assumed that since it sits so low it would not be a good choice for where I am moving to, which happens to be MI. I'm taking it to CarMax tomorrow. If they don't offer me a decent $, I'll just keep it and see how it goes.

It should be a great Winter car with the right tires. Ground clearance is the only issue, but even then momentum is your friend. We got home from Jamaica to find 8-10 inches in the driveway...

3202721504_6ebdb85f59_n.jpg
3201880257_442758efcd_b.jpg

I hear mini coopers require premium fuel... that's a huge turn off for me when premium fuel is 20% or 30% more than 87 octane.

Does the manual state Suburu's require premium fuel to prevent knocking? I hate paying extra for premium fuel.

I hear mini coopers require premium fuel... that's a huge turn off for me when premium fuel is 20% or 30% more than 87 octane.

Does the manual state Suburu's require premium fuel to prevent knocking? I hate paying extra for premium fuel.

Our new Outback does not require/recommend premium fuel.

RAV4. Small enough, but a nice size. If you're are looking at 2016's, the end of this month would be a good time to look.
LOVE my Toyota Rav4 Limited AWD. :thumbsup2Purchased ours a year ago and the gas mileage is incredible! VERY PLEASED! ::yes::I have heard that SUV's this size are not comfortable for taller people, but DH is 6'3" and does not have a problem.:goodvibes

Yes it does. Small price to pay for performance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter