Best small to mid size suv

I'm the one with a Nissan Rogue (that hates the CR-V). I had a 2012 and now a 2016 and haven't had any problems. I did notice the different sound of the CVT transmission after the salesman pointed it out, but I don't think I ever noticed it again. I'll have to pay attention the next time I'm driving. I will be honest and say if you have more than one older/bigger kid, then the back can get tight. If I had known my son was going to be as tall as he is, I would've gotten another Honda Pilot. I really like my husband's. It feels big and roomy, but not sporty like my Rogue.

Thanks for the informative response! The reason for the small SUV is because I've been driving a minivan for years and I really don't think I could get used to being down low to the road again. Well, I probably could, but I don't want to. Also, unlike you, I'm not a car person at all -- I drive them into the ground. I also know how much I want to spend on a car payment and a smaller SUV fits the bill. So, I guess I'm just looking for the most reliable, least problematic vehicle that's higher up than a sedan (and I don't want an American vehicle again). I think that leaves me with the Nissan Rogue, Hyundai Tucson, Toyota RAV 4, Honda CRV (I think the HRV might be too small?), Mazda CX-5 or 7. I might be missing a couple. You've definitely turned me off to the CVT, though.

I hear you. We've had minivans for nearly 10 years and love them. Keep in mind if you're used to minivan room, a small SUV is going to feel really tight... they're small. Even smaller inside typically than the car platform they are based on. The Nissan Rogue is a CVT. The CR-V might be too, I'd have to look...it's built on the Civic platform and the Civic now uses CVT.

I hear you. We've had minivans for nearly 10 years and love them. Keep in mind if you're used to minivan room, a small SUV is going to feel really tight... they're small. Even smaller inside typically than the car platform they are based on. The Nissan Rogue is a CVT. The CR-V might be too, I'd have to look...it's built on the Civic platform and the Civic now uses CVT.

I like my minivan a lot, too, but there really isn't a reason to get another one. When I pass by the smaller SUVs in my work parking lot, I try to look in a little and they do seem small... My co-worker told me not to get a Nissan Rogue and when I asked him why, his reason was because there are already too many on the road around here (we work down the street from Nissan corporate HQ). And here I thought he was going to say something about the CVT, lol. Anyhow, thanks again for your insight.

I looked, the CR-V is also on CVT. Bummer. I have a 2007 CR-V and have been debating with myself about replacing it with new one or an HR-V. I so want a backup camera. Sigh, time to look at Mazdas and Toyotas.

I had a 4 cylinder Saturn VUE with the CVT, 2004, I think. The VUE CVT was very reliable - it would reliably die between 75K and 100K. I must have gotten an orange - it lasted to 106K, which is when I got my CR-V.

Thanks for the informative response! The reason for the small SUV is because I've been driving a minivan for years and I really don't think I could get used to being down low to the road again. Well, I probably could, but I don't want to. Also, unlike you, I'm not a car person at all -- I drive them into the ground. I also know how much I want to spend on a car payment and a smaller SUV fits the bill. So, I guess I'm just looking for the most reliable, least problematic vehicle that's higher up than a sedan (and I don't want an American vehicle again). I think that leaves me with the Nissan Rogue, Hyundai Tucson, Toyota RAV 4, Honda CRV (I think the HRV might be too small?), Mazda CX-5 or 7. I might be missing a couple. You've definitely turned me off to the CVT, though.

My husband test drove the CRV, Rav 4 and Rouge. He bought a Rouge because he liked it best of the 3.

I've had a Tucson since March 1st and I love it. I had a Saturn Vue for 8 years and cried like a baby when I totaled it and the Tucson feels and drives very similar. The gas mileage is pretty good. I don't have any complaints about it.

And here's the reason Toyota is not high on my list. Though to be fair, I have no evidence other manufacturers are any better.

The link didn't work, but was it about the claimed Toyota "unintended acceleration" scare some time back? Darn shame that thing spread, as it was baloney. No issue was ever found with the cars. Most likely user error, followed by copy cat claims. Same thing happened to Audi about 30 years ago...it was also determined to be completely unfounded. Nearly ruined the company. Toyotas are some of the best built cars on the market, bar none. Besides, cars can't overpower their brakes. I don't recommend trying it because it's murder on the car, but if you hit the gas and brake each as hard as you can, the car will not move.

Yep, the CR-V is now a CVT. I think the HR-V uses a regular transmission as under it's skin, it's a Honda Fit. I'd trust a Honda CVT much more than Nissan.

Last edited:
If it were me, I'd be looking at the Escspe or maybe the RAV4. GM & Dodge/Jeep don't have a small crossover that I like, and none of the other brands have a dealer nearby. My coworker likes his Mazda, but it's needed to go in for dealer specific service a couple times & it was an hour drive each way, and time off work.

I really do like the Escape though.

I looked, the CR-V is also on CVT. Bummer. I have a 2007 CR-V and have been debating with myself about replacing it with new one or an HR-V. I so want a backup camera. Sigh, time to look at Mazdas and Toyotas.

I had a 4 cylinder Saturn VUE with the CVT, 2004, I think. The VUE CVT was very reliable - it would reliably die between 75K and 100K. I must have gotten an orange - it lasted to 106K, which is when I got my CR-V.

We have a 2007 CR-V and we installed an after-market backup camera. It works great! Something you might want to consider if you like your current CR-V.

The link didn't work, but was it about the claimed Toyota "unintended acceleration" scare some time back? Darn shame that thing spread, as it was baloney. No issue was ever found with the cars. Most likely user error, followed by copy cat claims. Same thing happened to Audi about 30 years ago...it was also determined to be completely unfounded. Nearly ruined the company. Toyotas are some of the best built cars on the market, bar none. Besides, cars can't overpower their brakes. I don't recommend trying it because it's murder on the car, but if you hit the gas and brake each as hard as you can, the car will not move.

Yep, the CR-V is now a CVT. I think the HR-V uses a regular transmission as under it's skin, it's a Honda Fit. I'd trust a Honda CVT much more than Nissan.
Curious. The link works for me, and I don't think I have any special access to the site. It's at safety research.net.

While it's associated with the unintended acceleration issue, it's really about the software, and describes incredibly poor software engineering practices. The assertion is that the software is too poorly written (spaghetti code) to test properly, and the reason analysts can't point and say that "here's the bug" is that the way it's written, it would take an inordinate amount of time to find the bug.

The article begins, however, by saying that for the lawsuit in question, the jury had already found them at fault and they settled while the jury tried to decide punitive damages.

Excellent and very timely post (for me). I recently test drove an Edge, Grand Cherokee, Murano and Pathfinder at dealers and my BiL's 2015 4Runner. I was ready to sign on the dotted line for the GC until I saw this thread. Every time I think I figured it out and made a decision I read something that changes my mind. I currently drive a 2009 Jetta which I love but I am moving to an area that gets a lot of snow. I want something that sits higher with AWD and has tow capacity for a small camper and/or trailer with snow or water toys. I guess I will go test drive the Subaru and Toyota this weekend. Any experiences Volvo XC60? TIA and thank you OP good idea to post here the DIS is a wealth of info.

We have a 2007 CR-V and we installed an after-market backup camera. It works great! Something you might want to consider if you like your current CR-V.
DH has suggested that. He drives a Prius. But I'm not fond of hack solutions. I will keep it in mind.

Excellent and very timely post (for me). I recently test drove an Edge, Grand Cherokee, Murano and Pathfinder at dealers and my BiL's 2015 4Runner. I was ready to sign on the dotted line for the GC until I saw this thread. Every time I think I figured it out and made a decision I read something that changes my mind. I currently drive a 2009 Jetta which I love but I am moving to an area that gets a lot of snow. I want something that sits higher with AWD and has tow capacity for a small camper and/or trailer with snow or water toys. I guess I will go test drive the Subaru and Toyota this weekend. Any experiences Volvo XC60? TIA and thank you OP good idea to post here the DIS is a wealth of info.

I'd want something more substantial than a Subaru or RAV4 if I were towing a trailer, even a small one. The ones you've test driven so far would be more appropriate, IMO.

I believe the Grand Cherokee is the only one out of the five vehicles you mentioned that has true 4wd as opposed to AWD. Of course I could be wrong(not sure about the 4Runner haven't researched it).

From what your describing, 4WD might suit your needs a little better than AWD.

I believe the Grand Cherokee is the only one out of the five vehicles you mentioned that has true 4wd as opposed to AWD. Of course I could be wrong(not sure about the 4Runner haven't researched it).

From what your describing, 4WD might suit your needs a little better than AWD.

The 4Runner definitely has true 4WD and is the only truck based ute in the thread. Honestly, I prefer AWD in the snow unless it's REAL deep. With my 4WD truck, I have to kick it into 2WD to make hard slow speed turns unless there's several inches of snow down.

I was not considering the RAV4 and the Subaru's did seem small for my needs but I did not check the tow capacity. Being used to a small agile car the 4Runner surprised me on how poor the turn radius (if that's what it's called, I'm not a car expert) was, I practically had to back up to make it around the cul-de-sac.

Excellent and very timely post (for me). I recently test drove an Edge, Grand Cherokee, Murano and Pathfinder at dealers and my BiL's 2015 4Runner. I was ready to sign on the dotted line for the GC until I saw this thread.

If you a considering a Jeep, I recently read that there is an issue with their automatic transmissions. You may want to do a bit of research...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter