Best marathon for a newbie??

I was debating running the princess, but after a chat with dh last night, I have scrapped that idea. I am now planning on running the ToT (and maybe a quick trip for Everest.) I live just outside DC, so there are plenty of interesting looking halfs to run locally anyway. But I need to start planning on my full. I am looking for something in the continental US, not Disney though. Flat-ish terrain, interesting things to see and do along the route with a slow sweep time (Disney's 16 is perfect). I am not interested in NYC, Boston or Marine Corps. They are too "competitive" (you have to qualify for them!! ). I am looking for a more laid back race, if that makes sense. Any suggestions what to look into?

I might be a homer, but I think a great newbie marathon is the New Orleans Rock N Roll Mardi Gras Marathon.

The course is pancake flat, the race is in February so heat is never a concern, and the course is beautiful. The race starts in New Orleans's central business district then runs through Uptown New Orleans along the St. Charles Street Car line before looping through Audubon Park near the campus of Tulane University. After returning back down St Charles Avenue following the street car line, you will run through the French Quarter, then follow Esplanace Avenue to New Orleans Cit Park. A few miles in the park then you head to the New Orleans Lakefront for a few water side miles before heading back to city park and finishing in the oak tree shade where a great after party awaits.

The bad thing, it is rock n roll so the price tag is heavy ($115), but accomodations are plentiful and have options in many price ranges right in the French Quarter.

http://runrocknroll.competitor.com/new-orleans

I've heard good things about Richmond. One of my work colleagues was an age-group winner there this year, and had nothing but good things to say about the course.

One you might consider is Atlantic City. It's not too big, and the course is about as flat as you could ask for. The downside to this race is that the second half of the course isn't particularly interesting. The first half is on the boardwalk, lots to look at, etc. The second half is partially on the boardwalk and partially in a residential area. Not so scenic.

You might also consider the RnR DC race in March. I've done the half there, but from what I've heard it's kind of a similar thing as AC, i.e., the first half is cool, the second half not so cool.

I've heard good things about Richmond. One of my work colleagues was an age-group winner there this year, and had nothing but good things to say about the course.

One you might consider is Atlantic City. It's not too big, and the course is about as flat as you could ask for. The downside to this race is that the second half of the course isn't particularly interesting. The first half is on the boardwalk, lots to look at, etc. The second half is partially on the boardwalk and partially in a residential area. Not so scenic.

You might also consider the RnR DC race in March. I've done the half there, but from what I've heard it's kind of a similar thing as AC, i.e., the first half is cool, the second half not so cool.

Unless they changed the course after Competitor took over the second half goes through some shady areas. One of my friends who lives in DC looked at the map and said the gun shots should be motivational around Poplar Point and Anacostia.

Not a marathon, but just wanted to recommend the Broad Street Run if you are looking for a good 10 miler. I think the pace requirement is 14 minutes, but it's as flat as I've seen and the course is wide with lots of support!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter