Best marathon for a newbie??

Discussion in 'Events/Competition' started by Raenstoirm, Nov 2, 2012.

1. LSUfan4444

LSUfan4444 DIS Veteran

I might be a homer, but I think a great newbie marathon is the New Orleans Rock N Roll Mardi Gras Marathon.

The course is pancake flat, the race is in February so heat is never a concern, and the course is beautiful. The race starts in New Orleans's central business district then runs through Uptown New Orleans along the St. Charles Street Car line before looping through Audubon Park near the campus of Tulane University. After returning back down St Charles Avenue following the street car line, you will run through the French Quarter, then follow Esplanace Avenue to New Orleans Cit Park. A few miles in the park then you head to the New Orleans Lakefront for a few water side miles before heading back to city park and finishing in the oak tree shade where a great after party awaits.

The bad thing, it is rock n roll so the price tag is heavy ($115), but accomodations are plentiful and have options in many price ranges right in the French Quarter.

http://runrocknroll.competitor.com/new-orleans

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Quiksilvr

Quiksilvr DIS Veteran

I've heard good things about Richmond. One of my work colleagues was an age-group winner there this year, and had nothing but good things to say about the course.

One you might consider is Atlantic City. It's not too big, and the course is about as flat as you could ask for. The downside to this race is that the second half of the course isn't particularly interesting. The first half is on the boardwalk, lots to look at, etc. The second half is partially on the boardwalk and partially in a residential area. Not so scenic.

You might also consider the RnR DC race in March. I've done the half there, but from what I've heard it's kind of a similar thing as AC, i.e., the first half is cool, the second half not so cool.

4. FireDancer

FireDancer DIS Veteran

Unless they changed the course after Competitor took over the second half goes through some shady areas. One of my friends who lives in DC looked at the map and said the gun shots should be motivational around Poplar Point and Anacostia.

5. kmg148

kmg148 DIS Veteran

Not a marathon, but just wanted to recommend the Broad Street Run if you are looking for a good 10 miler. I think the pace requirement is 14 minutes, but it's as flat as I've seen and the course is wide with lots of support!