Best filet in Disney

My husband works (in another state) for a large food service that delivers WDW. He will assure you that no two filet steaks are exactly the same. That is why in the meat case the butcher lets you choose the steaks you want. It is more than preparation. It has to do with how much fat and gristle is on a particular steak. If you buy a large filet mignon and cut it up yourself, you will see a big difference between the steaks. They are not cloned.

Choice beef at WDW is choice beef. Prime beef at WDW is Prime beef.

If you are comparing a prime filet at the Yachtsman to a choice filet at Le cellier, it's like you're comparing a glass of Caymus from The Wave to a glass of Lindemans from Victoria & Albert's and saying The Wave has better wine.

Yes, occasionally you can run across a steak that is a bad cut, but to think one restaurant is getting better choice cuts than another restaurant at WDW from the same vendor just isn't correct. Now, if they are using different vendors and the cattle is fed differently, the meat comes in at different ages, etc. that may be different and I honestly do not know what distributor is used for every WDW restaurant, but if the choice steaks are all coming from the same vendor, the diffeence in the cut lies almost 100% with what is done to the steak after it is delivered, not before.

Thanks for the comments everyone. We may try Shula's as we wont be on the deluxe plan just regular so this will be out of pocket. Love that Wagyu Beef idea but that may be a bit out of my price range. But, hey, you never know!

Scott

I'm going to add Citricos. It was cooked perfectly and was like butter when cutting into it. By far the best I've had in a long time.

Choice beef at WDW is choice beef. Prime beef at WDW is Prime beef.

If you are comparing a prime filet at the Yachtsman to a choice filet at Le cellier, it's like you're comparing a glass of Caymus from The Wave to a glass of Lindemans from Victoria & Albert's and saying The Wave has better wine.

Yes, occasionally you can run across a steak that is a bad cut, but to think one restaurant is getting better choice cuts than another restaurant at WDW from the same vendor just isn't correct. Now, if they are using different vendors and the cattle is fed differently, the meat comes in at different ages, etc. that may be different and I honestly do not know what distributor is used for every WDW restaurant, but if the choice steaks are all coming from the same vendor, the diffeence in the cut lies almost 100% with what is done to the steak after it is delivered, not before.

The steak is coming from the same vendor, but they are providing different quality of meat and cuts per restaurant's inventory orders, it's common.
For instance, Capital Grille is owned by Darden Restaurants. Darden also owns red lobster, olive garden, longhorn and bahama breeze, seasons 52 and a few others.
They use the SAME vendor for their meats. My girlfriend worked at red lobster through nursing school and I served at Capital Grille in Philadelphia when home during the past three semesters.
Vendors DO distribute different meat, they have different inventory and pricing that each restaurant purchases from. Unless your going to say the $55 dry aged angus filet at CG is the same as the $18 sirloin at LongHorn... :rolleyes1

The steak is coming from the same vendor, but they are providing different quality of meat and cuts per restaurant's inventory orders, it's common.
For instance, Capital Grille is owned by Darden Restaurants. Darden also owns red lobster, olive garden, longhorn and bahama breeze, seasons 52 and a few others.
They use the SAME vendor for their meats. My girlfriend worked at red lobster through nursing school and I served at Capital Grille in Philadelphia when home during the past three semesters.
Vendors DO distribute different meat, they have different inventory and pricing that each restaurant purchases from. Unless your going to say the $55 dry aged angus filet at CG is the same as the $18 sirloin at LongHorn... :rolleyes1

Obviously a filet and sirloin are different cuts. Nobody is saying a steak is a steak is a steak. You're comparing apples and oranges.

Nobody is disputing that different cuts are sold at different restaurants. Some have choice and prime, some have only prime, some offer ternderloins, strips, sirloins etc. and each will have a different price accordingly. Nobody is also disputing that there is a difference between choice and prime beef.

The carne asada sold at San Angel is not the same thing as the bone in strip solt at the yahctsman.

But, if the different restautants are using the same vendor, and they are all ordering choice filets, you can bet the steaks are just about identical. Ordering a different cut, or a different quality (difference between triple trimmed filet, or choice vs prime, or bone in) is like ordering an entire different dish and cannot be compared to a different steak at another location.

Like the wine example I gave earlier. It's like getting a glass of of frog's leap from Boatwrights and a glass of ravensood from Narcoosees and saying Boatwrights has better wine.

Here is good website that goes into alot of detail on how the USADA grades meat.

http://www.steakperfection.com/grade/

Because the 1987 changes led consumers to experience a decrease in the quality (taste) of beef, a market for higher quality beef developed, which itself led to the development of branded beef programs. The best marketed and thus best known program now is the Certified Angus Beef (CAB).

CAB uses the top third of the Choice Grade, which is called the Moderately Marbled level of Choice. With the consumer confusion caused by the USDA's changes, CAB allows consumers an alternative to the confusing (for them) government grading. According to a report, "After the USDA issues a grade, an Angus grader comes through and stamps the meat that fits their program. What they are taking is, by and large, the top level of USDA Choice." CAB and other programs market their beef without the USDA labels and pass off as the highest quality those cuts which are not quite Prime Grade but are nevertheless affordable.

Most consumers and even many barbecue cooks believe incorrectly that CAB is Prime Grade. Of course, that is exactly what CAB wants consumers to believe (and it is the reason that CAB itself does not usually label the USDA Grade on its products).

CAB is only one of the many branded beef programs. Sterling Silver and others are also widely available.

In addition, there are a new generation of "organic", "natural" and "hormone-free" beef sold in the U.S. While these in the past had been available only from "health food stores", they are now becoming commonly available in supermarkets.

Basically, certified angus beef is certified angus beef. The $43 Mushroom Filet Mignon served at le Cellier is the same cut as the $41 Oak-grilled Filet of Beef served at Citricos.

Now, if they use different distributors for different restaurants, then it makes sense that some restaurants might chose Choice +, while others choose choice -, but if they are using the same vendor, companies/resorts/cruise lines etc. will generally keep the same guidelines across the board.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter