Best Deals on Disney Gift Cards??

jenhelgren

DIS Veteran
I know this topic gets brought up quite a bit but all the threads I found were from 2011. Are there any stores currently offering deals/promotions on the purchase of Disney gift cards? I have bought some from Target but our Target only carries the $50 cards and I need some larger cards. I am in Illinois so Giant Eagle is not an option. I did see that Giant Eagle offers cards on their website but there are no discounts that I know of. Thank you in advance!

I know this topic gets brought up quite a bit but all the threads I found were from 2011. Are there any stores currently offering deals/promotions on the purchase of Disney gift cards? I have bought some from Target but our Target only carries the $50 cards and I need some larger cards. I am in Illinois so Giant Eagle is not an option. I did see that Giant Eagle offers cards on their website but there are no discounts that I know of. Thank you in advance!

You used to be able to consolidate smaller gift cards into 1 bigger one. It worked for me in January 2011 if you called during normal business hours. YMMV.

I know this doesn't necessary answer your question but I buy all of our Disney gift cards thru my son's school thru their Scrip program. Lots of schools have this as fundraisers. For each gift card I buy, they donate a percentage back to the school. Our school the deducts that $ from our tuition bill. So even though it's not a direct discount, I eventually gets me a little money back. Just an idea for you. We bought $1000 cards and $100 cards.

I bought 15 of the $50 cards at Target and used those during our trip earlier this month. The 5% off that Target offers (when you use their cc) is the best I've found lately. It was no problem applying a bunch of smaller cards to our reservation. They spend the same way as bigger value cards.

The Sam's offer from the last few Christmases -- $100 gc for ~$98 plus a free $10 Disney Store card -- was good. Not sure whether that will be offered again. It seemed to be a seasonal thing.

I hit a great deal at Acme (Albertsons chain) last year on fathers day. I think it was a $20 Catalina for food with each $100 spent on gift cards. So, I'm hoping Acme or Genuardis will ave a similar deal this mothers or fathers day. I'm going to be scouring the ads starting next week.

Keep me posted if anyone finds a good deal. I have done the Target thing, but would like something like the grocery deal.:surfweb:

I purchase gift cards at Dillons. I receive $1 off of 35 gallons of fuel for every $250 in gift cards. This equates to a 13.7% savings if i get the full 35 gallons.

I get our Disney gift cards at Kroger (our grocery store). Every now and then they'll run 4x fuel points on gift card purchases. We can also get up to $1.00 / gal up to 35 gallons, so I take advantage of that alot. Normally the gift cards are 2x fuel points, which is still good.

We just upgraded to the Disney Premier Visa which gives us 5% for the first 3 months on certain categories. (grocery stores are one) So, it dawned on me... buy a gift card from Kroger w/ the Disney Visa....get the 5% disney dollars plus the fuel points. SO I'm going to get a $1500 gift card. (I'll have to do 3- $500 cards there). for that, I'll get $ 75 Disney dollars plus 3,000 fuel points. (I will be able to fill up 3 times @ $1.00 off a gallon) Our savings for filling both cars per fillup will be about $ 28.00 (or $ 84 for the 3 fillups) So that's not too bad! :yay:

OOOH! It just dawned on me....gas stations are also included in the 5% for the first 3 months... so if I don't pay cash and use my Disney visa, I'll get the Disney dollars for the gas too. (then I'll just take my gas cash and pay the card off quick) Score!

I get our Disney gift cards at Kroger (our grocery store). Every now and then they'll run 4x fuel points on gift card purchases. We can also get up to $1.00 / gal up to 35 gallons, so I take advantage of that alot. Normally the gift cards are 2x fuel points, which is still good.

We just upgraded to the Disney Premier Visa which gives us 5% for the first 3 months on certain categories. (grocery stores are one) So, it dawned on me... buy a gift card from Kroger w/ the Disney Visa....get the 5% disney dollars plus the fuel points. SO I'm going to get a $1500 gift card. (I'll have to do 3- $500 cards there). for that, I'll get $ 75 Disney dollars plus 3,000 fuel points. (I will be able to fill up 3 times @ $1.00 off a gallon) Our savings for filling both cars per fillup will be about $ 28.00 (or $ 84 for the 3 fillups) So that's not too bad! :yay:

OOOH! It just dawned on me....gas stations are also included in the 5% for the first 3 months... so if I don't pay cash and use my Disney visa, I'll get the Disney dollars for the gas too. (then I'll just take my gas cash and pay the card off quick) Score!

Well done. I plan to pay the $49 to upgrade to the Premier Disney Visa at just the right time ... about 2 and a half months before our Disneyland vacation in January. I'll look for a grocery store near me that offers points for Disney Cards. However, even if I don't find one, with me being within the 3 month introductory 5% back period at Disneyland, that means I don't have to buy Disney Gift Cards ahead of time to get 5% off Disney. I'll buy a couple with the Premier Card or at Target with my Target Visa to give to my wife, but that's it.

I'll then cancel the Premier card and go back down to the free one sometime before they charge me $49 for the second year.

ETA: I found a similar 2x on Gift Cards deal in Texas at a grocery store called Randall's, although the rules say ... "Savings are limited to 30 gallons in a single fill-up and a limit of 1 vehicle per transaction." For my cars, my max tank is about 17-18 gallons. So the savings per $500 in gift cards purchased is $17-$18, assuming the Randall's fuel prices are comparable to the cheapest stations around, and assuming I don't have to spend $5 in gas driving 10 city miles each way to a Randall's that has a gas station. Randall's sells $50 Disney Gift Cards.

I have contacted Disney multiple times to try and combine gift cards, but they keep telling me that it can't be done!
Maybe it is something new for 2012:confused3
I e-mailed their support and tried that way and again they said it is not possible.
I would like to pay for the dining plan with gift cards but I am renting points this trip and I do not want to torture the poor renter with 20+ gift cards to read out!!
I have read on a couple threads that Disney will only accept 2 gift cards at a time over the phone when paying down a reservation balance. Does anyone know if this applies to all payments like tickets etc?
I was considering buying a bunch of cards at Target and then using these cards to purchase a larger gift card from Disney directly. Anyone have any luck with doing that?

Let's keep the ideas rolling :goodvibes

I have contacted Disney multiple times to try and combine gift cards, but they keep telling me that it can't be done!
Maybe it is something new for 2012:confused3
I e-mailed their support and tried that way and again they said it is not possible.
I would like to pay for the dining plan with gift cards but I am renting points this trip and I do not want to torture the poor renter with 20+ gift cards to read out!!
I have read on a couple threads that Disney will only accept 2 gift cards at a time over the phone when paying down a reservation balance. Does anyone know if this applies to all payments like tickets etc?
I was considering buying a bunch of cards at Target and then using these cards to purchase a larger gift card from Disney directly. Anyone have any luck with doing that?

Let's keep the ideas rolling :goodvibes

Oh boy - they're just gonna love me when I pay my bill at California Grill for 7 of us with a thousand and one gift cards in denominations from $25 - $50! (That's all they offered at my Target at Xmas...)

Well done. I plan to pay the $49 to upgrade to the Premier Disney Visa at just the right time ... about 2 and a half months before our Disneyland vacation in January. I'll look for a grocery store near me that offers points for Disney Cards. However, even if I don't find one, with me being within the 3 month introductory 5% back period at Disneyland, that means I don't have to buy Disney Gift Cards ahead of time to get 5% off Disney. I'll buy a couple with the Premier Card or at Target with my Target Visa to give to my wife, but that's it.

I'll then cancel the Premier card and go back down to the free one sometime before they charge me $49 for the second year.

ETA: I found a similar 2x on Gift Cards deal in Texas at a grocery store called Randall's, although the rules say ... "Savings are limited to 30 gallons in a single fill-up and a limit of 1 vehicle per transaction." For my cars, my max tank is about 17-18 gallons. So the savings per $500 in gift cards purchased is $17-$18, assuming the Randall's fuel prices are comparable to the cheapest stations around, and assuming I don't have to spend $5 in gas driving 10 city miles each way to a Randall's that has a gas station. Randall's sells $50 Disney Gift Cards.

Just so you know. According to the website, the 5% for three months is only good through April 30. Of course, it may be extended or another offer may be forthcoming. -- Suzanne

If you fill prescriptions at Target, you get a 5% off all day shopping pass for every five prescriptions you fill. It can be stacked with the 5% off Target RedCard. I plan to buy enough cards to pay off my trip when my next one arrives.

If you fill prescriptions at Target, you get a 5% off all day shopping pass for every five prescriptions you fill. It can be stacked with the 5% off Target RedCard. I plan to buy enough cards to pay off my trip when my next one arrives.

This is my plan, too! I just signed up for the pharmacy rewards and have filled four prescriptions. Question for you, though. How long does it take to receive your 5% pass? And is there an expiration date on them? I'm holding off filling a skin cream prescription for now.

Thanks!! :)

Get a gas can!! Randalls....30 gallon tank max. We get ours at giant eagle and I can get the entire tank for free - 30 gallon max - so 120.00 worth of free gas after buying giftcards. I tank up my 18 gallon car and bring gas cans for the remaining 12 gallons and then put them in the other car when I get home.

We do the Kroger thing as well. Even 2x the fuel points is a good deal.
Also, my daughter receives 5% towards her drill team account for everything I spend on the KRoger gift card. So, I load up the Kroger gc - then use the Kroger gc to pay for the Disney gc. I can load $500 at a time. $500 = $25 towards her clothes, fees etc....
Then a 1000 fuel points at least. We bring both cars up there and fill up at the same time. When we have the boat going, this will be huge.

This is my plan, too! I just signed up for the pharmacy rewards and have filled four prescriptions. Question for you, though. How long does it take to receive your 5% pass? And is there an expiration date on them? I'm holding off filling a skin cream prescription for now.

Thanks!! :)

Online says 1-2 weeks. I filled number 5 last Wednesday and still haven't received anything. I'm hoping it will show up any day. I have no idea about expiration, but I plan to use mine immediately.

Are you sure you can purchase gift cards with the 5% off?

I was able to purchase the gift cards with my Target Debit Card and get 5% off and was able to use my pharmacy 5% off card also, so I got my Disney gift cards 10% off.

Yes, the pharmacy cards do have an expiration date. The one I got last week has an expiration of 5/28/12.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter