Being made a Saint TWICE deserves a trip to Mickey's House! PTR Update pg.12 06/06!!!

Oh my gosh guys....BIG PTR changes happened tonight...I seriously almost can NOT believe it...I want to give it at least a night to sink in to make sure it is really going to happen before I post, but I am in SHOCK!!! :goodvibes I will let you know all about it tomorrow once the shock has worn off!!!

HOW can you leave us hangin like this???? :eek: I am excited to read a TR while we wait for your next trip though. ;)

Okay gang...now that I have had a good night's sleep to digest the big news, I wanted to hop on here and share it with you....

What is it you say?!?!!?!?!

Well, it is a first for us...

WE ARE FLYING DOWN TO DISNEY NOW!!!! :dance3::banana::yay::cool1:

I don't know what happened last night, besides Tom taking Megan to the annual Father/Daughter Dance at school (yes, I will post pictures later today), but he came home, hopped on the computer, and after a little surfing, announced that he thought we should fly now. He found a good rate out of Dayton, but after searching the web together, we finally found a pretty decent rate out of our own Cincinnati airport (which is practically in our own backyard) flying non-stop! We are departing at 9:40am on the 13th, and will be flying back in at 3ish on the 23rd! We have some mixed emotions--we have always enjoyed our car rides together--but wanted to give Megan the experience of flying because she has asked to fly so often. (Although Tom and I are both experienced air travelers, this will be Megan's FIRST FLIGHT!)

Now I feel I have a HUNDRED more things to do and research for this change in our trip, but I am definitely looking forward to the changes!

Okay...so all you frequent WDW flyers, give me all the scoop on ME, how you deal with getting groceries, and just how much can I get in our carry ons?!?!?!

YAY for flying!!! We were going to drive too, this time, but we are even farther away than you. So our 20 hour drive is now cut to 5. (we have a short layover) ME is really quite easy. Just make sure you actually attach your ME tags to your luggage and not just carry them in your purse. ;) (I did that last year. DUH!) As far as food, in the past we have packed a suitcase with pb&j, cereal, poptarts, fruit snacks, and other snack items. This was nice because once the food is gone, you have an empty suitcase for souvies!! You can buy bread at your resort and we made a trip to the Hess station across from the Boardwalk for bags of chips. For my DD12 trip, last year, I made airplane goodie bags for her and her friend. I bought one of those reusable bags that they sell at the Disney Store. I picked up some Minnie Mouse hair ties and Minnie Mouse earbud covers at the Disney Store. I also found a small Disney puzzle and memory game for like $.25 each at the party store. I put in a pair of new flip flops, travel size hand sanitizer and lotion, a new pair of sunglasses, candy and a metal Minnie Mouse water bottle from Old Navy. It was fun seeing them look at all of the things. I also made them a paperbag scrapbook album in their favorite colors. Just an idea. I think that you will like flying. I just couldn't believe the airfare prices!! :eek: We live in Toledo and usually get the best rates out of Detroit. I actually found the cheapest rates out of Columbus this time. So we have to drive 2 hours south and then we have a layover in Cleveland and then to Orlando. But if I fly out of Cleveland I would pay around $300/ticket! Makes NO sense.

Thanks for the kudos for Megan! I will have to show that to her...she will LOVE it!

I am so looking forward to our plans too! I agree that the drive for us really isn't that bad! We are in NKY...right by the Cincy airport! Not a bad drive at all! Were you guys okay after all the tornadoes? I hope so!

Tom is not THAT crazy about seafood. I would love to try Cape May sometime, but it would be a waste for him!

Yes, we were not affected by the tornadoes at all. The storms came right over us but had luckily died down after the destruction in Moscow. We drove down the other night and it is so sad to see that town. I work in Adams County for the electric company and the tornadoes touched down in that area. It was a small area but we had outages the entire weekend. There were several homes destroyed and a 99 year old woman died. Very sad.

:banana:Yay for flying!!! We have flown 3 times to Disney and while I enjoy the drive, I would prefer flying any day. Megan will love it and ME. It is so much fun in my opinion. We leave in 12 days and I took another look at flights yesterday and right now the cheapest I could find was $650 per person. :scared1:I really wish I had bit the bullett several months ago and bought when they were about $250 each but DH thought it was cheaper to drive. I am thinking now those flights were pretty darn cheap compared to what we are about to pay in fuel. :confused3

Love the video of Megan!

I'm soooo excited that you get to fly!!! Is Megan pumped? How did you tell her?

I have a few tips for sure...

YAY for flying!!! We were going to drive too, this time, but we are even farther away than you. So our 20 hour drive is now cut to 5. (we have a short layover) ME is really quite easy. Just make sure you actually attach your ME tags to your luggage and not just carry them in your purse. ;) (I did that last year. DUH!) As far as food, in the past we have packed a suitcase with pb&j, cereal, poptarts, fruit snacks, and other snack items. This was nice because once the food is gone, you have an empty suitcase for souvies!!

THIS!!

We also pack candy & gum. I do keep some in my carry-on too because I like chewing either gum or skittles during take-off and landing...but it's also nice to have at the parks, especially when you're bored waiting in lines. LOL

I totally love that we have that suitcase for souvenirs on the way home too!

Another flying tip I would suggest would be EARPLANES (you can buy them at Walmart or the drug stores by the ear care section). My DH and I both wear them during takeoff and landing. I have always had problems with my ears, ever since I was little. (I had tubes when I was 2) I find that the earplanes help to relieve a lot of the pressure. DH likes to wear them too and he's never had any problems with his ears, but I suppose for the price (about $4 a pair and you can use them for a couple flights) it's worth it to him to ensure that he doesn't have any pressure issues.

I think Megan will get a kick out of going into the Magical Express area at MCO (Orlando airport) and being greeted by the man with the Mickey glove!

Remember that your luggage will be a couple of hours behind you, and can sometimes be more delayed if they are very busy. So if you plan on swimming at all on your arrival day, I would pack swimsuits for each of you in your carry-ons. Make sure you have your camera(s) also. And keep your first day's ADR number(s) on you.

It also might help to take pictures of your luggage JUST IN CASE. During our last trip, one of our bags did not end up in our room. When I went down to the ME luggage area to inquire, they had one of our items labeled in the system as "tackle box" and another as something else very strange which I can't remember. I said "well no wonder you can't find it!" I described what we were missing and they finally did locate the missing luggage after a few minutes, but if I'd had a picture it would have been that much easier.

I don't want that last story to scare you. During that trip I had booked our flight pretty late (was waiting on a deal) and as a result, I wasn't able to link our flight number ahead of time. I had to give that info to the ME desk when we arrived at MCO. And I guess they were SUPPOSED to ask what our luggage looked like, but we weren't asked. So someone was trying to have a little fun????

If I think of other tips, I will come back to share!

LOVE the video of Megan getting excited! This trip already started off with so much excitement!
Sorry about that doggone bad weather though!

So I am curious if you had to pay for a one day ticket in order to go to MK that day? I hope not because a one day pass is super expensive!

I didn't even realize they had queue games at WtP! How cool. Hope you rode again and got some pics for us ;) Although I suppose I could just google....LOL

I would totally turn in early too. You two ARE nuts for wanting to do all the switching that early and get to the park before ropedrop! LOL Although it's quite ambitious, I sure hope you made it!

*I* would be the one to want to do something like that but DH would neeeever have it! He'd rather his sleep, even at Disney. (such a shame, right??)

It was so fun to start out early! The Tinkerbell top is a sundress that my Mom got for her at Easter. It was TOO cute! :)

Did you by any chance watch the videos? I want to make sure they work for everyone...hoping I am not the only one who can see them! :goodvibes

I need a tink sundress, I wish they made it in Adult sizes. The videos did work and were adorable.

:banana::banana::banana:for flying, with DH having cousins in Florence, I know right where the airplane is located.

Megan is just too cute. Her first reaction was not what I would have expected. Glad to see she got excited.
Nice start to the vacation.

YIPPEE for flying. I can't wait to hear what Megan thinks about it.

Can't wait to hear more.

You had good tips Cherbear!!! There are so many things that I just do and not think about it, and then when asked I pull a blank. :rotfl:You had great new ones too!!! Jen should be all set by the time her flight comes around.

Jen, there's a thread on the DIS that has word finds and car activities. I will have to look in my favorites and see if I can find it.

You had good tips Cherbear!!! There are so many things that I just do and not think about it, and then when asked I pull a blank. :rotfl:You had great new ones too!!! Jen should be all set by the time her flight comes around.

why thank ya! I try :) My biggest tip would probably be to fly Southwest or Airtran so that there are no baggage fees....but I know not everyone has that option! ;) :rotfl: We have flown Southwest to Disney every time and we love it. We've flown United and US Air on a couple other trips in the last couple of years and both of those airlines were worlds apart from SW! We were pretty sickened by our baggage fees, that's for sure!

why thank ya! I try :) My biggest tip would probably be to fly Southwest or Airtran so that there are no baggage fees....but I know not everyone has that option! ;) :rotfl: We have flown Southwest to Disney every time and we love it. We've flown United and US Air on a couple other trips in the last couple of years and both of those airlines were worlds apart from SW! We were pretty sickened by our baggage fees, that's for sure!
We usually fly Spirit, but they didn't have the cheapest rates. We are flying United and with 4 of us, the luggage costs are going to be just as expensive as another ticket.

Yay on flying!!!! Megan is going to love it. :cool1:

YAY for flying!!! We were going to drive too, this time, but we are even farther away than you. So our 20 hour drive is now cut to 5. (we have a short layover) ME is really quite easy. Just make sure you actually attach your ME tags to your luggage and not just carry them in your purse. ;) (I did that last year. DUH!) As far as food, in the past we have packed a suitcase with pb&j, cereal, poptarts, fruit snacks, and other snack items. This was nice because once the food is gone, you have an empty suitcase for souvies!! You can buy bread at your resort and we made a trip to the Hess station across from the Boardwalk for bags of chips. For my DD12 trip, last year, I made airplane goodie bags for her and her friend. I bought one of those reusable bags that they sell at the Disney Store. I picked up some Minnie Mouse hair ties and Minnie Mouse earbud covers at the Disney Store. I also found a small Disney puzzle and memory game for like $.25 each at the party store. I put in a pair of new flip flops, travel size hand sanitizer and lotion, a new pair of sunglasses, candy and a metal Minnie Mouse water bottle from Old Navy. It was fun seeing them look at all of the things. I also made them a paperbag scrapbook album in their favorite colors. Just an idea. I think that you will like flying. I just couldn't believe the airfare prices!! :eek: We live in Toledo and usually get the best rates out of Detroit. I actually found the cheapest rates out of Columbus this time. So we have to drive 2 hours south and then we have a layover in Cleveland and then to Orlando. But if I fly out of Cleveland I would pay around $300/ticket! Makes NO sense.

Great tips! Thanks so much! So did the Pop Tarts survive the travel? Or did they get all crushed up? I love the idea of packing up food, and then having a bag ready for souvies! :goodvibes:goodvibes I don't think we will need that much stuff...we have noticed recently that we have overpacked on food the past few years. We really just need stuff for breakfast (pop tarts, oatmeal packets, granola bars, fruit snacks)...maybe some bags of microwave popcorn for the hotel at night.

Flying prices are CRAZY!!! The only reason I think Tom was swayed on flying was that gas prices are just as CRAZY right now too!!! We could have saved about $200 flying out of Dayton, OH, but then we would have had to have someone drive up there to drop us off and pick us up. We are about 50-60 miles away from Dayton...and like 5 miles away from Cincy's airport. It will just be easier and more convenient to swallow the extra cost this time!

LOVED the airplane bag goodies for the girls! I think Megan is going to be so excited with the actual experience, she won't have time to think or look at anything else! :)

Hurray for flying! That will add a good bit of extra time onto your trip, and I bet Megan loves being on an airplane! :thumbsup2

Hey sweet lady!! I almost can't believe we are really going to fly! Do you think the ME bus will mind when the three of us starting screaming and clapping like we usually do when we go under the WDW Resort sign?!?!?!? :rotfl: There are moments when I get sentimental about NOT driving, but then I think about how much sooner we will be walking down that glorious Main Street, and I kind of forget about all of that! :lmao:

Yes, we were not affected by the tornadoes at all. The storms came right over us but had luckily died down after the destruction in Moscow. We drove down the other night and it is so sad to see that town. I work in Adams County for the electric company and the tornadoes touched down in that area. It was a small area but we had outages the entire weekend. There were several homes destroyed and a 99 year old woman died. Very sad.

:banana:Yay for flying!!! We have flown 3 times to Disney and while I enjoy the drive, I would prefer flying any day. Megan will love it and ME. It is so much fun in my opinion. We leave in 12 days and I took another look at flights yesterday and right now the cheapest I could find was $650 per person. :scared1:I really wish I had bit the bullett several months ago and bought when they were about $250 each but DH thought it was cheaper to drive. I am thinking now those flights were pretty darn cheap compared to what we are about to pay in fuel. :confused3

Love the video of Megan!

There are SO many sad stories that I have heard from the tornado damage...it is hard to hear some of them. Makes you that much more grateful and feeling blessed for our safety!

We are SO looking forward to it! I know what you mean about flying actually now becoming cheaper than the drive...gas is RIDICULOUS! I think the sudden spike towards $4/gallon sparked Tom's interest in checking out flights. Enjoy your trip!!! HOW FUN!!!

I love that video of her too...she just cracked us up with her first reaction...it was TOO funny!

I'm soooo excited that you get to fly!!! Is Megan pumped? How did you tell her?

I have a few tips for sure...

THIS!!

We also pack candy & gum. I do keep some in my carry-on too because I like chewing either gum or skittles during take-off and landing...but it's also nice to have at the parks, especially when you're bored waiting in lines. LOL

I totally love that we have that suitcase for souvenirs on the way home too!

Another flying tip I would suggest would be EARPLANES (you can buy them at Walmart or the drug stores by the ear care section). My DH and I both wear them during takeoff and landing. I have always had problems with my ears, ever since I was little. (I had tubes when I was 2) I find that the earplanes help to relieve a lot of the pressure. DH likes to wear them too and he's never had any problems with his ears, but I suppose for the price (about $4 a pair and you can use them for a couple flights) it's worth it to him to ensure that he doesn't have any pressure issues.

I think Megan will get a kick out of going into the Magical Express area at MCO (Orlando airport) and being greeted by the man with the Mickey glove!

Remember that your luggage will be a couple of hours behind you, and can sometimes be more delayed if they are very busy. So if you plan on swimming at all on your arrival day, I would pack swimsuits for each of you in your carry-ons. Make sure you have your camera(s) also. And keep your first day's ADR number(s) on you.

It also might help to take pictures of your luggage JUST IN CASE. During our last trip, one of our bags did not end up in our room. When I went down to the ME luggage area to inquire, they had one of our items labeled in the system as "tackle box" and another as something else very strange which I can't remember. I said "well no wonder you can't find it!" I described what we were missing and they finally did locate the missing luggage after a few minutes, but if I'd had a picture it would have been that much easier.

I don't want that last story to scare you. During that trip I had booked our flight pretty late (was waiting on a deal) and as a result, I wasn't able to link our flight number ahead of time. I had to give that info to the ME desk when we arrived at MCO. And I guess they were SUPPOSED to ask what our luggage looked like, but we weren't asked. So someone was trying to have a little fun????

If I think of other tips, I will come back to share!

WHAT WONDERFUL TIPS CHERBEAR!!! THANK YOU!!! I think I am going to print out that post and put it into my planning binder with our airplane ticket print outs!

She is SO excited...she literally kept bouncing up and down on the couch when we told her. Tom and I told her we had a surprise about the trip, and then we started running around the great room with are arms out like airplanes. (Yes, we are SUCH geeks!) She figured it out right away and just started squealing!!!

LOVE the video of Megan getting excited! This trip already started off with so much excitement!
Sorry about that doggone bad weather though!

That video is one of my favorites too!!! It was SO exciting! The rain was crazy, but we were just thankful to make it through it!

So I am curious if you had to pay for a one day ticket in order to go to MK that day? I hope not because a one day pass is super expensive!

We had a 10 day pass, so we had plenty of days on our ticket to go! :)

I didn't even realize they had queue games at WtP! How cool. Hope you rode again and got some pics for us ;) Although I suppose I could just google....LOL

I really DON'T think I have a picture of that area...I think we either passed it too quickly, or were too busy having fun in it! ;) It really is cute!

I would totally turn in early too. You two ARE nuts for wanting to do all the switching that early and get to the park before ropedrop! LOL Although it's quite ambitious, I sure hope you made it!

*I* would be the one to want to do something like that but DH would neeeever have it! He'd rather his sleep, even at Disney. (such a shame, right??)

Yes we were NUTS...you won't believe how it all worked out!!!

I need a tink sundress, I wish they made it in Adult sizes. The videos did work and were adorable.

:banana::banana::banana:for flying, with DH having cousins in Florence, I know right where the airplane is located.

I KNOW!!! I wish they had half of Megan's cute clothes in adult sizes too!! I am so glad you enjoyed the videos!

We are so excited about flying! What a small world that your DH has cousins in Florence!!! Tom and I both grew up in Florence...we moved out to Hebron (where the airport is located) when we bought our first home.

Megan is just too cute. Her first reaction was not what I would have expected. Glad to see she got excited.
Nice start to the vacation.

YIPPEE for flying. I can't wait to hear what Megan thinks about it.

Can't wait to hear more.

We didn't expect that at all either!!! Once it sunk in, we couldn't contain her enthusiasm!!! It was a great start to a great vacation!

We are so excited about flying...she was SO excited she kept bouncing up and down on the couch and squealing...too cute!

I am so grateful to you lovely TIPSTERS!!! :goodvibes I am making a list of tips, "and checking it twice!" I feel so set right now!!!

Jen, there's a thread on the DIS that has word finds and car activities. I will have to look in my favorites and see if I can find it.

Oooohhh...that sounds like FUN! I will have to search for it! Thanks! :thumbsup2

Unfortunately, we have to fly Delta out of CVG for the most part. Now that it is no longer a classified "DELTA HUB" we are hoping that one of those two will be allowed to move into our airport SOON!!! Now don't laugh...but we are going to try some strategic packing to get as MUCH as we need in the three carry-ons we will be allowed, and the three additional bags we are allowed to stow under the seats. If I can pack REALLY well, then I would think at the MOST we would have to check is one larger suitcase. I am known for being a packing QUEEN...but I think my "reputation" is going to be put on the line with this one! :rotfl:

We usually fly Spirit, but they didn't have the cheapest rates. We are flying United and with 4 of us, the luggage costs are going to be just as expensive as another ticket.

OH MY LORD!!!!!!!!! That is SCARY!!!!

Yay on flying!!!! Megan is going to love it. :cool1:

Thank you! I think it is going to be SO much fun!!!

As promised, I have come to share a couple of cute pictures of Megan and Tom from their Father/Daughter dance from last weekend. This year's theme was "A Grand Ball," so of course, she had to be glammed up to the max!

2012FatherDaughterdance2.jpg

2012FatherDaughterdance1.jpg

They were just TOO cute! He took her to one of our town's fanciest restaurant for dinner before the dance. She said she felt like a princess because the napkins were folded so pretty and the silverware was SO sparkly! They had a wonderful time, and danced until our princess could not hardly move anymore! Another GREAT memory!

I don't have much to update on the trip this week...I have been TOO busy with our school play. I am the Assistant Director for our school's annual play, and have been out VERY late every night this week with dress rehearsals and stage set-up. We are performing Beauty and the Beast, Jr., and it has been just AMAZING! We opened on Thursday night with a great show, but then topped it last night with a SPECTACULAR show! Our last performance is this afternoon, so wish us luck! I will be sentimental about the show closing--we have been practicing since October--but SO looking forward to some much needed rest on Sunday!!!

My short-term "To Do" list should be simple--I need to get an ADR in or near MK on the Wednesday we are arriving now that we will be there so much earlier, and I still need to decide on an ADR for the last Friday night we are there...again near or in MK. I am planning on tackling that tonight when I get home from the show.

I know this sounds crazy, but I am VERY close to our two month mark, and I feel like I am SO behind in planning!!! Now that we are flying, I feel like I have to completely rethink how and what we normally pack. That is next on my list after finalizing the ADRs. I know...calm down Jen...you have two months, but BOY are those two months BUSY!!! We are looking forward to our 10 day Spring Break that starts next Thursday...so hoping to get MUCH planning done then. But I also need to find Megan a First Communion veil, make her First Communion banner, plan her First Communion party and send invites, prepare for the last month of school after Spring Break when my 8th graders will be writing their BIG research papers, organize all the special activities for 8th grade graduation, close up my classroom for the summer, AAAAACCCCCKKKKKK!!!!! Okay, I think I just really flipped out there...so sorry! :goodvibes For now, I think I will just need to take it one day at a time! WOW, this trip is going to be so needed after all of this! :rotfl:

See you real soon! Jen

Glad they had a great time at their dance

Not sure if it is my computer or not, but I do no see any pics in this post of Megan and your Dh??

WOW...that is a lot of stuff to do. But that will make time fly by faster and your trip here sooner at least :cool1:

The Pop Tarts made it in one piece. If you place the box strategically in the suit case, they should be fine. We pack breakfast food too.
I can't believe that your trip is almost 2 mos away. My dad told me today that our trip is 80 days away! Less than three months!! I really think that you will like flying. So much more relaxing and less time consuming.
Sounds like you have a lot that will keep you busy until the time comes to leave.

Glad they had a great time at their dance

Not sure if it is my computer or not, but I do no see any pics in this post of Megan and your Dh??

WOW...that is a lot of stuff to do. But that will make time fly by faster and your trip here sooner at least :cool1:

I don't know about the pictures...they are there for me each time I pull up this page.....Okay, can anyone else verify if they see the two pictures of Tom and Megan in my last post? I want to make sure they are on here correctly! Thanks!

The Pop Tarts made it in one piece. If you place the box strategically in the suit case, they should be fine. We pack breakfast food too.
I can't believe that your trip is almost 2 mos away. My dad told me today that our trip is 80 days away! Less than three months!! I really think that you will like flying. So much more relaxing and less time consuming.
Sounds like you have a lot that will keep you busy until the time comes to leave.

Awesome! So glad to hear the Pop Tarts should be fine! :rotfl:

I am excited that it is almost 2 months away, but then obviously, nervous as heck!! I think having the 10 day break from school will help though! You all are about to be slammed with LOTS of updates over break! ENJOY!!! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter