• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Before I get hate mail....

DLgal said:
Thank you for proving that there are actually reasonable people on this thread. :worship:

Now, I will say this, because it has happened to me more than once. What happens if an "able bodied" person (myself) enters a restroom where the ONLY open stall is a handicap stall? And, that "able bodied" person is desperately ill and needs a toilet A.S.A.P. No one else is waiting. What should happen?

I will tell you what did happen (this was in an Epcot bathroom, FWIW). I was violently ill with a stomach bug. TMI, but I spent a good 30 minutes in that accessible bathroom stall. When I got out, a woman in a wheelchair proceeded to berate me about having been in there. I was so sick, I just didn't even respond to her.

While I do subscribe to the notion that the handicap stall should be left available if at all possible, and I try to use regular stalls as much as possible, I will not lie and say I never use handicap accessible stalls. Sometimes, bathrooms are small, with only 3 or 4 stalls. If I have to "go" and there isn't a noticeably handicapped person in or approaching the bathroom, I'm using whatever stall is open. Unfortunately, you never know the condition of the person who emerges from the accessible stall, and no one should feel that their needs trump anyone else's.

If people with disabilities want to get equal treatment, then they want to get equal treatment. That means sometimes, you wait for what you need. Seems to me like "preferential treatment" is what a lot of disabled people are after.

My person feeling is that it is okay for anyone to use the wheelchair stall if the regular ones are occupied. I do not mind waiting my turn.

The problem that I have is when the restroom is empty except for the wheelchair stall, and "Mr. Universe" comes walking out without a problem. That is when I get annoyed.

Angel Ariel said:
While it hasn't happened yet, a family member of mine has Parkinson's. I can see a future where he would need the assistance of the hand rails in the accessible bathroom while still being able to open a door and walk. I don't think anything surrounding disabilities is black and white.

If a person has needs the bars, then they should use the stall with the bars.

If there are regular stalls available and a person is capable of using a regular stall, they should.

If there are regular stalls available and a person is capable of using a regular stall, they should.

My point was responding to the idea that you're able bodied if you can open a door and walk out the stall, therefore you must not need the handicapped stall. Just pointing out a situation where that might not be the case and the person may appear "able bodied" while still needing the accommodations of the handicapped stall.

I think that what a discussion like this teaches us is that there is a need for improvement in areas at the parks - more family restrooms, infant changing tables, larger restroom stalls, etc. This is something that I feel is worth writing to guest communications about if one has an opinion on the topic. If you have been in such an experience, I really encourage you to write. It's the only way change can happen. :)

Even if there aren't any regular stalls available, I think a person capable of using a regular stall should still wait and use the regular stall.

Even if there aren't any regular stalls available, I think a person capable of using a regular stall should still wait and use the regular stall.

Um, are you maybe a guy? It is a frequent occurrence in the women's restroom that there is a long line all the way out of the door waiting to use the toilets. In some restrooms there are only 2 or 3 regular stalls and 1 handicapped stall. (Part of the reason our restrooms are so much worse is that we only have stalls - we don't have the quick urinal option the guys have. :rotfl2: The same sized men's will usually have 1 or 2 regular stalls, the handicapped stall and a couple urinals.) It is pretty much general practice everywhere I've been for anyone to use the handicapped stall as long as no one handicapped is waiting for it. Otherwise, we lose 25% - 33% of the capacity of that bathroom - when there are a dozen women waiting for those stalls it is ridiculous to leave 1 empty just in case someone who needs it shows up.

The vast majority of the time, if someone handicapped gets into the line, the line will tell them to go ahead when the handicapped stall opens. I have only once or twice seen people NOT do this & if I am close enough to the front will rather loudly suggest to the others that we do this.

When there is no line, it is obviously basic courtesy to use a regular stall if you able.

Um, are you maybe a guy? It is a frequent occurrence in the women's restroom that there is a long line all the way out of the door waiting to use the toilets. In some restrooms there are only 2 or 3 regular stalls and 1 handicapped stall. (Part of the reason our restrooms are so much worse is that we only have stalls - we don't have the quick urinal option the guys have. :rotfl2: The same sized men's will usually have 1 or 2 regular stalls, the handicapped stall and a couple urinals.) It is pretty much general practice everywhere I've been for anyone to use the handicapped stall as long as no one handicapped is waiting for it. Otherwise, we lose 25% - 33% of the capacity of that bathroom - when there are a dozen women waiting for those stalls it is ridiculous to leave 1 empty just in case someone who needs it shows up.

The vast majority of the time, if someone handicapped gets into the line, the line will tell them to go ahead when the handicapped stall opens. I have only once or twice seen people NOT do this & if I am close enough to the front will rather loudly suggest to the others that we do this.

When there is no line, it is obviously basic courtesy to use a regular stall if you able.

Ummmmmm, no, I am not a guy and I am quite familiar with the long lines that can form in the ladies room, but in general unless it's absolutely necessary I will wait for a regular stall. Just this weekend at the airport there were 4 or 5 women in line with me in about a 10 stall bathroom, the woman in front of me took the handicap stall and a woman on crutches came in 2 seconds later. When I came out the 1st woman was still in the handicap stall and the woman on crutches was still waiting. It's entirely possible the first woman needed the rails in the handicap stall, I don't know, but if I can wait for the regular stall, I do.

I have to admit that this thread has definitely opened my eyes some. In situations where I am using a public bathroom, I almost never wait for a regular stall. A lot of times this is because I’m at the theatre, and going to the bathroom at intermission means a very limited time to get hundreds of ladies through the restroom line as quickly as possible. In those situations, it doesn’t seem realistic for to leave the handicapped stall empty. But maybe I’m wrong.

DLgal said:
If people with disabilities want to get equal treatment, then they want to get equal treatment. That means sometimes, you wait for what you need. Seems to me like "preferential treatment" is what a lot of disabled people are after.

How can you say they are wanting preferential treatment when there is only 1 or 2 handicap stalls compared to the 20 or so regular ones? If it was equal treatment there would be many more accessible stalls, since there isn't it is logical to think if you don't need the stall, don't use it.

I have to admit that this thread has definitely opened my eyes some. In situations where I am using a public bathroom, I almost never wait for a regular stall. A lot of times this is because I’m at the theatre, and going to the bathroom at intermission means a very limited time to get hundreds of ladies through the restroom line as quickly as possible. In those situations, it doesn’t seem realistic for to leave the handicapped stall empty. But maybe I’m wrong.

I totally agree with you! In a crowded restroom situation.....the wheelchair stall is up for grabs.

If they get up, open the door, walk out with no problem. Yes they are able -bodied!!!! They can use the 16 open regular stalls.

Wrong! Just because you don't think they are disabled enough is your problem. They are disabled and have every right to use the stall.

Wrong! Just because you don't think they are disabled enough is your problem. They are disabled and have every right to use the stall.

I think it would be great if nobody told anyone else they were or weren’t disabled. Someone knows if they NEED a handicapped accessible toilet.

I think it would be great if nobody told anyone else they were or weren’t disabled. Someone knows if they NEED a handicapped accessible toilet.
This, bolding mine. I can think of a number of instances where people use the handicapped stall for convenience (extra room, mostly) instead of NEED. FTR, I think that's fine as long as someone who has a NEED isn't waiting for that stall. And, if someone has an invisible disability then they welcome to speak up and ask for the next open HA stall.

If a person is CAPABLE of using an AVAILABLE regular stall, they should.

You have no idea what their needs are nor what they are capable of. That's why people refer to hidden disabilities. They don't have to explain their disability to anyone.

I think that what a discussion like this teaches us is that there is a need for improvement in areas at the parks - more family restrooms, infant changing tables, larger restroom stalls, etc. This is something that I feel is worth writing to guest communications about if one has an opinion on the topic. If you have been in such an experience, I really encourage you to write. It's the only way change can happen. :)
Nikki, do you think you could post that address here for folks? I for one would not know where to send such a letter.

Thanks,
Sayhello

You have no idea what their needs are nor what they are capable of. That's why people refer to hidden disabilities. They don't have to explain their disability to anyone.

Ok.......I was not going to post this, but.....

Here is a solution: Toilet Stalls should be like parking spaces. DISABILITY PERMITS!

Of course, I'm kidding. :) However, this makes my point.

There ARE people who are CAPABLE of using a regular stall. If nobody could use a regular stall, they would not exist. If one or more regular stall(s) are available, and people are CAPABLE of using a regular stall......the disability stall should be left for people who need it.

Again, I do agree that if the regular stalls are occupied, the disability stall is fair game for anyone to use.

Ok.......I was not going to post this, but.....

Here is a solution: Toilet Stalls should be like parking spaces. DISABILITY PERMITS!

Of course, I'm kidding. :) However, this makes my point.

Sadly, it doesn't. There are people who would still make assumptions on whether others were disabled enough. It happens all the time with parking permits. My 1st husband was confronted and harassed on more than one occasion because someone decided it was their business to decide if he should have a parking permit. He shouldn't have had to explain anything and he died at the age of 39 while looking "so healthy." What you THINK you see is not always what you are actually seeing. That's my whole point. We'll just have to agree to disagree. :)

Looks like in an ideal world all the bathroom stalls would be wide enough for everyone to use. But they are not. In my personal experience Disney bathrooms usually have a changing table along the marble counter top. Maybe I just avoided the ones that didnt.

In my opinion..if the handicapped stalls are going to be the only ones that are wide enough for a mom with a preschooler to go in, then they dont have a lot of choice. Ive been in stalls that were so narrow that I barely fit...and I am NOT a big person. I couldnt imagine how some larger people could use it.

The Odyssey building has some roomy accommodations just so you all know. Its my first choice for epcot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter