Before DTD....

G8r4evr

DIS Veteran
Just out of curiosity, what was on the land before DTD was built? As a child, I remember something called "Disney Village" I believe it was and Im wondering if thats where it was =)

Trees, trees and more trees.

The "Disney Village" was basically what is called the "Marketplace" now. it was built in the early 1970's. It was a quiet place to shop and get something to eat. Fultons Crab House was called the Empress Lilly, and if you Google it you should be able to find pics of what a beautiful spot it was to have dinner in. The Pleasure Island area was added in the late 1980's, and the West End was added most recently.

Walt Disney World Village is basically still there, in the form of the Marketplace section of Downtown Disney. Of course, the place has changed so much (buildings demolished and replaced, others completely redone, etc.) that the original structures are not exactly recognizable anymore and I'm not even sure how much is really left of the original Village. Pleasure Island and the West Side were simply later additions to the existing Marketplace/Village.

The next-door Vacation Villas (across from the Buena Vista Palace), now partially the site of Saratoga Springs, survived until just a few years ago.

lakebuena.jpg

Nametag worn by cast members at the Lake Buena Vista Shopping area at WDW, ca. 1975.
This area later became the Downtown Disney and Pleasure Island district.

:cool1:

OrlandoMike is right--it was a beautiful spot and MUCH more quiet than it is now. Chef Mickeys used to be where Rainforest is now--it was larger and a much nicer place than the current Chef Mickeys. And the Empress Lilly actually LOOKED like a riverboat!! With 3 fine restaurants and a lounge.

OrlandoMike is right--it was a beautiful spot and MUCH more quiet than it is now. Chef Mickeys used to be where Rainforest is now--it was larger and a much nicer place than the current Chef Mickeys. And the Empress Lilly actually LOOKED like a riverboat!! With 3 fine restaurants and a lounge.

Yea, remember the huge paddlewheel that actually turned? What a shame......:confused3

I was on a school trip in July '87 when they were building Pleasure Island and Typhoon lagoon. I remember looking through holes in the fences surrounding PI. That was my first trip and from then I was hooked...

As I think about it now, about the only original place that is still there {from the Marketplace} is Cap'n Jacks restaurant. As I recall, Chef Mickeys was attached to that building. Of course the Rainforest Cafe stands there {Chef Mickeys old spot} now.

We used to go when I was a kid. I enjoy it now, but it was so lovely back then. I remember buying a pretty knit poncho (I think that is the right term) that I had for many years - I'd bought it at whatever the main store was (like the World of Disney, but smaller).

I can always judge how long people have been coming to WDW by what they call DTD. If it "the Villages", they have been coming a long time. ;)

DTD is always PACKED. And almost anytime finding a parking spot is like try to find one at a mall on the weekend before Christmas.
And people wonder why Disney plans on building another large shopping/entertainment complex on the other side of property. Anyone who goes to DTD often can fully understand why. DTD is bursting at the seams. Even if they built a parking garage, the whole area needs expansion.

I can always judge how long people have been coming to WDW by what they call DTD. If it "the Villages", they have been coming a long time. ;)

DTD is always PACKED. And almost anytime finding a parking spot is like try to find one at a mall on the weekend before Christmas.
And people wonder why Disney plans on building another large shopping/entertainment complex on the other side of property. Anyone who goes to DTD often can fully understand why. DTD is bursting at the seams. Even if they built a parking garage, the whole area needs expansion.

You know, as much as I agree with you on the fact that the DTD area is becoming a real zoo, with the parking being ridiculous most times of the day AND night, I'm not really looking forward to the buildup of the new area they are considering at the new entrance by the greenhouse area that leads to that new toll road {429}. This has become a wonderful super uncrowded route for us to get from Rt75/Turnpike, avoid Rt4 completely, and get in the back door. Saves us a lot of time in traffic as well as gas.:guilty:

I've never had a problem finding parking behind Cirque if nothing else is available. I don't mind walking over to the Marketplace if the lots are full.

Parking is going to be a bit more difficult when they put that T-Rex restaurant in the parking lot near McDonalds and Fultons.......

I just wish they would bring back a character meal at DTD (used to be a breakfast on Empress Lilly) or maybe really theme Cpt Jack's to be, well for the real Cpt. Jack.

Parking is going to be a bit more difficult when they put that T-Rex restaurant in the parking lot near McDonalds and Fultons.......

There were practically abandoned lots and even bus stops on the West Side, so I think they could lose some.

The back parking lot is the only remaining place where people don't have to drive for several minutes just waiting for a spot to open. And that is getting used A LOT lately. On nights HoB has events (which is OFTEN) that lot can get pretty full too. Have a Cirque night, HoB event and a popular movie all in one night and there goes most of that lot even.
Several boats have been running lately. That does help the foot traffic. It is nearly impossible to walk in DTD, even on a week day.
At least we have been able to park there in the back area. But at the rate DTD is accruing guests, how much longer can that last stand hold out?
It really is getting to the point it is easier to park at a resort or park and take the bus to DTD.
Agree, I much rather have something else, even green space, than more shopping and dining. But DTD is just way too crowded without something drastic happening. And there genuinely seems to be a need for DTD 2.

Thanks! I used to love visiting there "back in the day", it's nice to see the pics. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter