Because it's all about that Race, 'bout that Goofy Race 2015 Updated x2 2/14 Diagon Alley!!

ZellyB

DIS Veteran
Hi, fellow Disboard folks and RunDisney enthusiasts and welcome to my little trip report about our recent Disney/Universal trip and completion of our first (and possibly last :) ) Goofy Challenge.

This weekend represented the third marathon weekend in a row for me and my husband, Chris. Our previous two weekends were to run the Marathon race (and, no, I refuse to say ONLY the marathon). Seriously where else but at Disney do people say things like only a marathon? It's nutso.

I came to running pretty late in life after getting hooked on the Jeff Galloway Run Walk Run method of doing long-distance races. As of this marathon weekend, I've completed 4 half-marathons and 4 marathons which still astonishes me to say given how I vowed for many years that I hated running. HA! Boy, how things have changed.

In this report, you'll also be seeing my husband and running partner, Chris.
Pictured here with me after our first Disney marathon.

Our first year was just the two of us and last year we ran along with my sister-in-law and brother-in-law. This year we decided to pull our two youngest kids out of school to come along on the trip.

Meet Paige and Sophie, our 11-year old twins. Pictured here in front of the Racing Pigs event at our local fair this summer. :thumbsup2

My oldest son, Drake, is a junior in high school and he just couldn't afford to miss out on that much school, so he had to stay home. :sad:

We also brought along my sister, Damaris. She played nanny for us during the weekend while we were running.

She's been called various names by nieces and nephews including Moo Moo and Mar Mar, so for this trip she ended up with the new title of Nanny McMarMoo. :rotfl2:

This trip would be 8 days in total with 4 park days at Disney and 2 park days at Universal. Next time I plan a trip like this I need to remember that I'm 50 years old and don't have nearly the stamina that I used to have. I need a vacation after my vacation! :faint:

So, that's our cast of characters along on this Goofy journey.

Next up...The Journey to Disney and the Expo.

Hi Gisele!

Loving your TR title! My buddies and I used that song a lot too, except for us it was: "We're all about that bling, 'bout that bling, NO SWEEPERS!" :goodvibes

So looking forward to your report! Can't wait to hear your thoughts on Universal...we're thinking about a 1-day trip there in July (got a cruise the next day). I HAVE to see Diagon Alley and Springfield!!

You and Nanny McMarMoo look so much alike!! :rotfl2:

Now...are you guys SURE this was your one and only Goofy? Like, really really sure? We runners do have short-term memories for that kind of thing (i.e. how tired and in pain we were), you know...;)

Following along! It's great seeing so many race recaps happening now (esp in my post disney funk)

Hi and thanks for joining in! :goodvibes

It helps me to write a trip report since it also helps me get through my post disney funk. :thumbsup2

Hi Gisele!

Hi, Shannon! :wave2:

Loving your TR title! My buddies and I used that song a lot too, except for us it was: "We're all about that bling, 'bout that bling, NO SWEEPERS!" :goodvibes

Sophie had that song on her phone and played it for us every morning as we were heading out for the day. It became our anthem, so when I was thinking of a title for this report it just seemed perfect.

Love your twist on it as well. :woohoo:

So looking forward to your report! Can't wait to hear your thoughts on Universal...we're thinking about a 1-day trip there in July (got a cruise the next day). I HAVE to see Diagon Alley and Springfield!!

You will love it. We had been to Universal already to see Hogsmeade and Hogwarts, but Diagon Alley just takes things to a whole other level. We had such a great time. Although we saved it for the last two days of our trip and the grown-ups were all exhausted by then! :rolleyes:

You and Nanny McMarMoo look so much alike!! :rotfl2:

Yeah and we sound even more alike. I have one other sister and we wanted her to come along as well, but it was a bad time at work for her so she just couldn't do it. :(

Now...are you guys SURE this was your one and only Goofy? Like, really really sure? We runners do have short-term memories for that kind of thing (i.e. how tired and in pain we were), you know...;)

Well, of course we aren't sure. :lmao:

Yesterday I was talking to Chris about the 5-year Dopey anniversary. Mostly because it coincides with the 25-year marathon anniversary. That's a temptation that will be hard to resist. Realistically I know I'll cave again at some point, but I am looking forward to focusing on half-marathons for a while and leaving the marathon distances alone for a bit.

But, I can't wait to read about your Dopey experience. I'm sure that will help to encourage me to consider it even more!

joining in! I was so jealous following all the runDisney news the last two weekends! Congrats on your race, looking forward to reading along

Emma x

Joining in! Even though your title now has THE most annoying song of all time stuck in my head, lol.

(Side note, Shannon I do kind of like your version, haha! Reminds me of a sign I saw at another (non disney) half once-"Its all about that pace, don't dawdle" lol)

Can't wait to hear your take on Goofy, and also your comparison to the marathon from previous years!

I am also interested to see what you thought of Universal...did you go to the Harry Potter areas?

Yesterday I was talking to Chris about the 5-year Dopey anniversary. Mostly because it coincides with the 25-year marathon anniversary. That's a temptation that will be hard to resist. Realistically I know I'll cave again at some point, but I am looking forward to focusing on half-marathons for a while and leaving the marathon distances alone for a bit.

But, I can't wait to read about your Dopey experience. I'm sure that will help to encourage me to consider it even more!

Emily and I are considering Dopey in 2018 for that exact reason! Those anniversary medals lure me in...after all, the Goofy medal did live up to the 10 year hype!

Hi, I'm subscribing! Trying to decide if I'd like to do a marathon at Disney, so I'm using these great TR's as "research". :)

joining in! I was so jealous following all the runDisney news the last two weekends! Congrats on your race, looking forward to reading along

Emma x

Hi, Emma. Thanks for joining in. :goodvibes

Joining in! Even though your title now has THE most annoying song of all time stuck in my head, lol.

(Side note, Shannon I do kind of like your version, haha! Reminds me of a sign I saw at another (non disney) half once-"Its all about that pace, don't dawdle" lol)

Can't wait to hear your take on Goofy, and also your comparison to the marathon from previous years!

I am also interested to see what you thought of Universal...did you go to the Harry Potter areas?
Hi, Caitlin,
Glad you are here. :wave2: Sorry to get that song stuck in your head. :) We literally started every day of our trip hearing that song. Lovely.

We really loved Universal and spent a lot of time in both of the Harry Potter areas. It's really an amazing experience.

Emily and I are considering Dopey in 2018 for that exact reason! Those anniversary medals lure me in...after all, the Goofy medal did live up to the 10 year hype!

Oh, Disney, they sure know how to suck us in, don't they? I love my 20 year marathon anniversary medal and now the 10 year Goofy. They are just so awesome.

Hi, I'm subscribing! Trying to decide if I'd like to do a marathon at Disney, so I'm using these great TR's as "research". :)

Thanks for joining. I highly recommend a Disney run. And, when I decided to run one I definitely used TRs to help me understand more about the race weekend. They really helped build the excitement too.

Thursday, January 8, 2015
After many months of planning this trip we were finally ready to head out. And when I say months of planning I mean that very literally. I'm one of those crazy people who plans out our vacation schedule practically to the minute. I spend hours planning things out and creating spreadsheets. Yes, I'm crazy. But the truth is, the planning just helps me in building the excitement for the trip. I get nearly as much pleasure out of thinking about the trip and planning for it as I do once on the trip.

I use one of those accordion type of file folders to store all of the travel/trip documents with everything organized by day. We call it the "trip bible" and everyone is responsible to be sure it doesn't get left at home. I had the girls so paranoid they must have asked me a dozen times that morning if I had the bible with me.

Anyway, Thursday morning we were all packed up and my mom drove us to the airport. We have a pretty small airport that is really easy to get in and out of with short check-in lines and security checks. We were flying out on Allegiant. We love having Allegiant here since we can get inexpensive flights and even better they are non-stop! So, we can get to Orlando in just a little over 2 hours which is great. On this day, we were flying into St. Petersburg instead since we wanted to arrive on Thursday and Allegiant only flies in and out of Orlando on Friday and Monday.

Within a few minutes we were all checked in and posing for our first selfie of the trip, Missouri style.

The flight was a little bit late leaving, but made up some time in the air so we landed in St. Pete only about 10 minutes behind schedule. While Chris and the kids gathered our luggage, Damaris and I got the rental van. I had scored a GREAT deal on a minivan for only $9 per day!!! Woohoo!!! :cool1: This was another small airport, so we had our bags and were quickly on our way to Orlando. It took just about an hour and a half or so and we were pulling into Wide World of Sports for packet pick-up. This was the earliest we had ever made it to the expo, so I was hopeful that we would have good choices on merchandise still.

Selfie, Orlando WWoS style

We also got a quick shot in front of the Goofy banner. Only a few more days and that beauty would be mine.

Next we headed up the walkway toward packet pickup.

Love those palm trees!!

We quickly got to our area for bib pick-up and had our Goofy bibs in hand within a few minutes.

Yikes! I guess we are really doing this. :eek:

Next we were directed to an area where we were photographed with a headshot of us holding up our bibs. I'm assuming this was to prevent having someone else run one or more of the races for you??? :confused3

Next it was off to get our gear check bag and race shirts. In our case it was three new race shirts. YAY!!! I really like the shirts. I think the marathon shirt is probably my favorite just because I felt like Mickey really showed up well on it.

With all the official business taken care of we headed over to the main Expo area. The girls saw these cute guys on the way out.

I really only had a few things I wanted to get at the Expo. One was a Goofy race hat. Chris and I had bought hats on our first marathon year here and loved them, but last year none were to be found by the time we got to the expo. Boo! :( Fortunately this year there were still hats there. We each grabbed one up. I also wanted a Goofy car magnet and one of the mini medal pins. I also picked up the Goofy sweaty band which was on sale for $5. I've never used these before, but am trying to grow my hair out currently so as the spring and summer runner season approaches I know I'll be wanting something to hold my hair back. Lastly was a trip over to pick up my Dooney pre-ordered wristlet. I LOVE this thing. I carried it to the parks each day and thought it was awesome. My favorite purchase by far.

With our purchases in hand, we headed out from WWoS to go find our house and get settled in.

Next up: Home sweet home and the first day in the parks!

I can't wait to read more. I think I've talked myself into doing the Dopey Challenge next year, so I am soaking up all of these race trip reports!

I am interested to see how it went touring the parks with your daughters on tired legs. I am torn on whether or not I should bring my sons with when I do Dopey. Of course they will want to be there, but I don't think it's worth the cost if we can't do as much in the parks as we usually do.

I agree, planning the trip and building up to it is half the fun!

I think I'd want to buy everything I see at the expo! All of the cool Disney race shirts and merchandise is part of why I want to do it so badly!

I can't wait to read more. I think I've talked myself into doing the Dopey Challenge next year, so I am soaking up all of these race trip reports!

I am interested to see how it went touring the parks with your daughters on tired legs. I am torn on whether or not I should bring my sons with when I do Dopey. Of course they will want to be there, but I don't think it's worth the cost if we can't do as much in the parks as we usually do.

I agree, planning the trip and building up to it is half the fun!

I think I'd want to buy everything I see at the expo! All of the cool Disney race shirts and merchandise is part of why I want to do it so badly!

Thanks for joining in. I know at some point I'm going to end up doing Dopey. I won't be able to resist forever. :rolleyes:

I'll go into some detail on our park days, but I could definitely feel the after effects of the races on the first couple of days. I can tell you we didn't cut back much at all on our park touring, so it can be done. :thumbsup2

The merchandise is so fun!! I was proud of my self-control. :lmao:

I love all of the crazy planning talk - hooray for spreadhseets! :cool1:

I am still in awe of your awesome car rental deal - what a bargain!! :worship:

I agree with you on the shirts! I think the Mickey and Donald ones are my favorite, but I really like the color of the Goofy shirt.

Those cut-outs the girls found are so cute!! Somehow I missed those...

Good haul at the expo! LOVE the wristlet - awesome character placement!

YAY!! can't wait to read more!

I love all of the crazy planning talk - hooray for spreadhseets! :cool1:
My sister took a picture of one of the sheets. It's a bit embarrassing, but at least I know on this board I'm in good company in my lunatic planning. :rolleyes1

I am still in awe of your awesome car rental deal - what a bargain!! :worship:

It was funny when we checked in to get our car, the guy at the counter was also really impressed. :rotfl:

I agree with you on the shirts! I think the Mickey and Donald ones are my favorite, but I really like the color of the Goofy shirt.

The Goofy one took me some time to appreciate. At first I felt like it was just TOO bright, but now I sort of love it. Maybe that's more because now that I actually completed it, I'm happy to have something loud and proud to show off.

Those cut-outs the girls found are so cute!! Somehow I missed those...

Good haul at the expo! LOVE the wristlet - awesome character placement!

YAY!! can't wait to read more!

I think they were as we were exiting the Field House, but I don't really remember for sure.

That wristlet...:love: Ridiculous how much I love it. At first I was unhappy because I wanted a good shot of Goofy on it, since, you know, I ran Goofy. But, the lady at the table showed me a lot and just none of them were great. She said she'd already gone through the entire box several times because a lot of people wanted a good Goofy placement and there just weren't that many. I didn't take a picture of the back, but there's a good shot of Goofy on the back and I really liked the way Minnie and Mickey were placed, so I went with it. It's tough on the wristlet because it's so small.

After leaving the Expo, we drove out to find our vacation house that we rented. We rented a 4 bedroom house in the Emerald Island Resort.

Photo credit: www.emeraldislandhoa.org

We’ve stayed in this resort area before and the location is great. It’s a short distance off 192 and you can be on Disney property within about 10 minutes and to the gates of Animal Kingdom in less than 15.
We were at the house in no time and walking through the front door.

Photo credit: www.vrbo.com

The house looked just like the VRBO posting, so we were really happy. My sister had her own king bed and separate bathroom just like us and the girls shared a hall bath and switched up which of the other two bedrooms they slept in each night. The girls were so excited to finally be here and I told Sophie at the time, “By the end of the vacation, you’ll be ready to go home.” She, of course, didn’t believe me.;)

The pool and hot tub were heated and the girls were anxious to get a chance to swim, but it was late and already pretty cool out, so I told them that would have to wait. There was also a pool table and basketball shooting game in the garage. They actually played in here a lot during our evenings at home, so that ended up being a really nice bonus.

The other thing I like about having a vacation house is the laundry room. It was really nice to be able to throw in our running clothes after the races instead of repacking them. Really, I mostly went home with almost all clean clothes because Nanny McMarMoo is a compulsive cleaner, so she did a little laundry each day. It was nice to get home and only have a few things that needed to be washed.

We had decided not to mess with cooking that night, so we left the house and stopped at a nearby Red Lobster for dinner and then headed to Wal-Mart to grocery shop. This is again where my obsessive planning helped out. We were all getting tired by this point. It was probably 7 or 8 o’clock by now. I had already planned out our meals and made the shopping list before we left home, so we were actually in and out of the store in pretty short order with all our groceries. I think we were all in bed by 9 PM after a very long day.

Continued in next post

Yay, I've been waiting for your review!! I'm with you, the phrase "only the marathon" should never be used. I can't wait to read about the races!

Yay, I've been waiting for your review!! I'm with you, the phrase "only the marathon" should never be used. I can't wait to read about the races!

Thanks for joining in. :goodvibes It's tough during these challenge weekends to know what to say when people are running a single race, but there has to be some better way!!

Fabulous start - looking forward to reading more!

Villa looks awesome!!

OMG Red Lobster...I hate seafood but I love their cheddar biscuits. :)

Can't wait for more!

Hi Zelly! :wave2: Count me in for reading along! I loved your first marathon TR! :thumbsup2

Glad you got to the expo without a hitch and were able to get the merch you were looking for! That hat looks nice! I love your Dooney too! I almost ordered myself one of those but decided to pass this time around. As Caitlin said, we're tossing around the idea of Dopey 2018 so maybe I'll get a Dooney then :scratchin

My goodness- your vacation home looks BEAUTIFUL! With a private pool/hot tub to boot- how nice! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter