Be Out Guest reservations are a joke.

No, that's what I meant. They ARE doing the same thing at BOG. You cannot check-in more than 15 minutes prior to your reservation. We even tried at 20 minutes and were turned away. It was the strictest check-in process I've ever experienced, even moreso than 'Ohana.

Ahh.... glad to hear that. It always makes a long wait more acceptable if you feel like they have taken some precautions. It's always so frustrating to walk into Sci-Fi and experience a lengthy wait watching them add walk-ins to the line as well.

maxiesmom said:
With all of that, you are not understanding what an ADR is to Disney. It is not a reservation for a specific time slot. It gives you the next table at that point that becomes available for your party size.

Expecting it to be an exact time reservation is setting yourself up for disappointment.

I like this perspective on ADRs! Thanks for sharing!

Don't think I have ever been seated on time, but then again I have been late and the CMs have always been great..why do five year olds not understand reservations ..lol..but it is a holiday though it's nice to have a rough plan you don't want or expect military precision...so if some folks take a little longer so what we are all on holiday to enjoy ourselves right ?

And when I am disappointed I don't suck it up and take it either. And, yes when my expectations are not met that doesn't stop me from voicing my displeasure. Why should I not speak up? It's for other's benefit too. I find it fascinating when people say I should go with the flow, who are they kidding, thanks for your help.

I totally understand the disappointment and irritation with a lengthy wait. And voicing that frustration is fine.

But to actually expect a table to be ready at the moment your time pops up is silly, particularly when you mention you don't care of people doddle along.

Do tell, how exactly do you expect tables to be ready on the dot if people are lingering around?

If you have 5 tables, and it takes you an average of 1 hour to sit, serve, and clean the table for the next patron, what exactly are you going to do when someone tinkers around for an additional 20 minutes? They're not going to shoo anyone out (and if they did you'd be complaining that they rushed you out after paying a hefty price for a meal). You're unfortunately, running 20 minutes late on that table now.

Yes, Disney has been doing this a long time. Regardless if they've done it 30 years or 2 years... there will always be nights when they're running behind for whatever reason.

Your frustrations are warranted - your reasoning is not.

Mystery Fan,

I would be upset too. For future reference, it's not a good idea to complain about Disney on this board. It is full of people that think Disney can't do anything wrong. At least you were offered compensation for the long wait.

Mystery Fan,

I would be upset too. For future reference, it's not a good idea to complain about Disney on this board. It is full of people that think Disney can't do anything wrong. At least you were offered compensation for the long wait.

I have seen no examples on this thread of people who think Disney can do no wrong. I HAVE seen many examples of knowledgeable Disney veterans who have tried (apparently unsuccessfully) to educated the OP as to the true nature of ADRs, and to explain to him why his expectations regarding always being seated immediately are unreasonable.

Yes, being seated late for an ADR is frustrating. But this is a brand new restaurant that has JUST opened for crying out loud. How many large places like this have an opening without any glitches? If you can't stand the possiblility of a less than stellar dining experience, I can't think of a single place at WDW that could guarantee to make you happy.

A 45 minute wait is unacceptable. You have children and chose a time for them, or for yourself, that suited you, not Disney. If you have a reservation for 730, but you don't get seated until 815, then kids aren't eating for at least another 20 minutes , leading to possible meltdowns through no fault of theirs.

I owned/managed restaurants. There is an art to it. I see both sides. I want to sit and enjoy my meal without being rushed. But, I also see no reason for a family of 4 to take 1.5 hours or more for a single or 2-plate dinner. If you want to watch fireworks or enjoy ambiance, make a later reservation (example Ohanas). I'm not saying rush but don't sit at a table for 2 hours +, delaying other diners. If you are done, get up and go so other people may have what you enjoyed.

So, as you can see, there are 2 sides to everything. It's all in how you see it. Personally, It's a restaurant. Not really that important to stress. Be thankful you got a reservation but let them know it's unacceptable to wait. There ya go...both sides happy.

The bottom line is that when anyone reserves a table at x time, they should expect to have a table waiting for them at that exact time, no excuses. I don't care if other patrons are dilly dallying around or not. Disney should have booked less ADRs and that's the bottom line. Disney could have easily filled empty spaces with walk ups. Also, had I not shown up they would have tagged me for $60 for not keeping the reservation. I keep my end of our agreement up.

Dream on! Th doesn't even happen at home town restaurrants. I once ate at MacDonalds before a show because ALL the early seating patrons in a nice restaurant where I had preshow reservations lingered way beyond a reasonable time for dinner despite hordes of angry reservation holders glaring at them from the waiting area.

Went to BoG for the cast opening and walked right in. Liked the ordering and serve yourself drinks. The only problem is will you be able to finish desert...LOL

I don't know why they haven't done the same thing at BOG. It surely can't be a surprise to them that it has been really popular. And if it was overbooked, they knew that as well.

Well it has been a surprise and it would be for anyone opening a restaurant. The restaurant had planned for 90 min turn around of tables. That is people taking 1.5 hrs to eat their meal and leave. That's not a bad estimate and fairly standard for sit down restaurants.

But what they have found is that many parties at taking more than 2 hrs and this has not been due to service issues. It has been diners lingering in the restaurant to enjoy the ambiance and features of the restaurant. This completely messes up the ADR system and will cause people to wait excessive periods of time to get a table. Unfortunate and people should move on.

They are aware of this and they either are going to have to change the number of ADRs, unlikely because money is made by table turnover, or do things to make lingering less enjoyable for people. The latter is hard without hurting ambiance for all and making the restaurant less attractive.

It is a tough decision but they are aware and will do something if this problem persists. Regardless, in this it is not bad management of ADRs or planning. Unanticipated things happen at openings and I always recommend never going in the first three months to any new restaurant unless you are prepared for things like this to happen.

Well it has been a surprise and it would be for anyone opening a restaurant. The restaurant had planned for 90 min turn around of tables. That is people taking 1.5 hrs to eat their meal and leave. That's not a bad estimate and fairly standard for sit down restaurants.

But what they have found is that many parties at taking more than 2 hrs and this has not been due to service issues. It has been diners lingering in the restaurant to enjoy the ambiance and features of the restaurant. This completely messes up the ADR system and will cause people to wait excessive periods of time to get a table. Unfortunate and people should move on.

They are aware of this and they either are going to have to change the number of ADRs, unlikely because money is made by table turnover, or do things to make lingering less enjoyable for people. The latter is hard without hurting ambiance for all and making the restaurant less attractive.

It is a tough decision but they are aware and will do something if this problem persists. Regardless, in this it is not bad management of ADRs or planning. Unanticipated things happen at openings and I always recommend never going in the first three months to any new restaurant unless you are prepared for things like this to happen.

Agreed. And as someone else said, since people can make reservations 180 days out there wont' be an obvious change right away. It sounds like for the most part though, they've got it under control on most days.

There's not way to fix that now, unless they would start cancelling people's reservations.... can you imagine the stink that would cause!

1) The buzzer goes of when the guest is ready to be seated.
2) Contrary to popular believe, it is not based upon ADR time.
3) In most cases, it is based upon when you checked in at the podium.
4) My guess, and only a guess, is the other party checked in prior to OP.

NOTE: This may or may not be right in some people's minds, but when
Guest-B checks in early, the person at the podium does not know if the
Guest-A with a later ADR will check in or not. So, Guest-B is placed into
the queue before Guest-A. I have personally checked in early at some
Signature eateries, then went into the bar for an aperitif, and my buzzer
went off before the folks next to us with earlier ADR's had their buzzer
sound off.
[/
QUOTE]

See, I was totally unaware of this. So therefore, that would infact make your original statement make more sense to me. Do I agree, no, but I see how it could happen. Because they can not hold spots for people who don't show. I stand corrected. :)

Ok dont attack me...but c'mon your at disney be grateful. can you just take a second and think of how many parents would kill to have a dinner there but will never be able to. Just trying to put things in perspective. Enjoy yourself

Mystery Fan,

I'm not sure if that was directed at me, but if so, you are off base. I know Disney can do wrong. I have had my share of problems during my trips, believe me! Know anyone else who has been downgraded twice?? That's me!

At any rate, the thing people need to know is Disney does not always operate the same as other places. And how they manage their seatings at the restaurants is a good example of it. You ADR does not guarantee you a table at that time. It gets you the next table available for your party size.

Now you can know that, and still get frustrated by long waits. I know I still do! But you have to know what the system is, and not expect it to be something different. Maybe once someone knows the time is not set in stone they will chose to not make ADRs at all. Or choose to make them when the restaurant first opens for the day, when the odds of a delay are slim. But first you got to know what an ADR gets you, and what it does not get you. Knowledge is power.

It is entirely possible that this is all true.

But it is also quite possible that their operations just aren't quite running efficiently yet. One of the reports I saw here was that it took someone 3 hours from seating time until the check was paid and they could leave. And they were not excited about that, and had not been lingering to take in more of the atmosphere.

And I would totally avoid anything new in the first few months if possible. But we don't just pop into Disney when we get the whim. We might not even be back at WDW for a couple years. So it was now. Or much much later.

For the most part I would go with the flow on how long it takes to get in and how long it takes to get out. But we have BOG scheduled on a party night. Thankfully it's early, but if it takes 3 hours, I'll be a less than happy camper.

I'm just assuming that if there are operational issues that they'll be worked out in a couple weeks when we are there. So I'm very excited. But I can understand the frustration of those dealing with issues now.

The bottom line is that when anyone reserves a table at x time, they should expect to have a table waiting for them at that exact time, no excuses.

That works on a traditional reservation structure, where the restaurant is expected to keep a table open for the prospective party to occupy, but that's not what Disney does. They changed the term "priority seating" to "advance reservation" because guests found the term "priority seating" confusing, but that's just changed expectations to guests expecting a traditional reservation where the table is supposed to be waiting for them and they are not supposed to be waiting for the table.

A Disney ADR means you get the next table to open up for your party size. Sounds like they're also taking guests in the order they check in. And they now need to take into account that tables are apparently going to take longer to turn at Be Our Guest.

This is not sticking up for Disney. It's just to note that if you expect a traditional restaurant reservation that is not what you are going to get. Personally I think they need to go back to the term "priority seating."

1) 3) Almost always, you can count on CP, Tusker, Coral Reef, etc.
QUOTE]

Ahh man. It is still too early for me to make reservations, but every one of these restaurants is on my list for our trip next July! So I could possibly be looking at 4 hours of waiting between BOG, CP, Tusker and Coral Reef!? That is a major bummer. I know it isn't likely to have that wait at all four, but from the sounds of it, it is possible.

I also think a 45 minute wait is unacceptable. I understand how the Disney reservation system works and I've waited up to 20 minutes past a reservation before. I wouldn't get upset about that. But 45 minutes is a lot.

For BOG, my thoughts would have been that it's a new restaurant and they are likely going to have to adjust things until they get a good feel for how the restaurant is going to do. So I wouldn't have been shocked about the long wait. But I still would have been annoyed and would have spoken with a manager as well. They need to know when customers are unhappy so they can fix things for the future.

I think what they did for you OP was satisfactory. Glad you enjoyed your meal. I think the place is really gorgeous and loved lunch. Can't wait to try TS sometime.

emacosta1 said:
Ok dont attack me...but c'mon your at disney be grateful. can you just take a second and think of how many parents would kill to have a dinner there but will never be able to. Just trying to put things in perspective. Enjoy yourself

I very rarely post since most of my questions have been asked and answered beautifully by regular disers.... But I must say I despise this argument. Yes I'm grateful I'm at Disney but after working 45 hour weeks for 2 years in order to afford to be at Disney I think I deserve it and by god if there's something I don't like then I will politely complain.
Just because other people can't get to Disney does not mean we can't complain when service isn't quite what we anticipated.

Ok mini rant over.... Peace and love people!

It's defanitely due to the popularity factor since its so new..

ASMU/POR Dec 16-22, 2012 & POFQ Sept 8-15, 2013

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter