BCV pool closed twice.

Scraper

DIS Veteran
Stormalong and the Villa pool closed while we were there last week because a child went potty in the pools. Is this common? I thought swim diapers were suppose to be worn. My kids are grown but I can say they never did this in any pool. I was wondering if maybe it was an older child past potty training who just did not want to get out of the pool. Anyway it happened twice while we were there and everyone had to get out of the pool.:scared1:

Well, swim diapers are supposed to be worn or your child is suppsoed to be pttoy trained. That doesn't mean everyone conforms to the rules though.

They have to do some big chemical shock when someone goes in the pool.

This has to be a common occurrence. It never fails that we encounter this every trip we take to Disney/Universal. I guess its their protocol to close and chemical the pool. I haven't seen it happen when we're anywhere else though.:confused3 Parents need to be more responsible to lessen these accidents.

Swim diapers don't do crap (excuse the pun). Imagine a tea bag...wet.....and the liquid seeps through. That is what a swim diaper does, blech. So when a kid craps, it holds in the some of the crap, but lets a lot strain out, like the tea bag.

Swim diapers don't do crap (excuse the pun). Imagine a tea bag...wet.....and the liquid seeps through. That is what a swim diaper does, blech. So when a kid craps, it holds in the some of the crap, but lets a lot strain out, like the tea bag.

Um yuk you had a way of putting that. Not sure I will be able to drink my tea tonight without a crappy vision popping in my head.:scared1:

So thay did not have swim diapers when my kids were little. I was thinking what a great idea. Guess not.

Ugghh...they closed the pool at Animal Kingdom Lodge for this reason when we stayed there a few years ago. I didn't want to set foot in it the rest of the week. :scared:

This happened to us at the Boardwalk last summer, TWICE. It was gross. The main pool was closed, so I took my daughter over to the kiddy pool. No sooner were we in there 3 minutes than some kid's diaper leaked #2. The mom just quickly got the kid out of the pool and LEFT. Didn't tell a cast member. I was ticked off- she was too embarrassed to say anything, but come on- risk getting other kids ill? I told a CM and we went back to the room for awhile.

:headache:

This is why the Disney Cruise ship does not allow ANY children in the main pools with Swim Diapers on -- ever. They have their own "water play" area.

This has been known to happen in Lake George (NY) at the Million Dollar beach.. The water has been tested - shown to be contaminated for the reasons you stated (or people "dumping" from their boats) - and they have to shut it down for a certain length of time..

Guess it happens everywhere..

The splash park/pool at our gym has closed many times because of this.

When my kids were little, our pool club's rule was a pain - no swim diapers in the big pool - only potty trained kids. However, once they were all trained, I loved that rule! :thumbsup2

And then there are the ducks!!!

Yup.....we had a view of the Villas pool at BCV and the ducks were going in there left and right! It dissolves quickly, but it is in there!

Besides #2, a lot of kids puke at Disney and that could lead to a closure. Many are not eating their normal diets plus being overstimulated and in the sun a lot. Get a mouthful of chlorine water and sometimes lunch comes back up.

This happened when we were at AKL about 4 years ago but it happened twice in one afternoon.
First time it happened we got out of the pool, had a bite to eat, went to hot tub (quickly got out - too many kids) and then went back to the big pool. We were in the big pool no more than 10 minutes when I see a lifeguard with a plastic glove heading into the pool. Quickly got DD out just in time to hear them announce the closure for a second time. :scared:

We stayed away from the pool for awhile after that!

all the swim diper does is keep the water from getting into the diper and becoming very heavy.

They should make parents up plastic pants over them.

How nice of folks to mess up the pool for everyone else.... NOT!

Who are these classless people?

Little kids used to swim in pools and the small accidents (aka "Floaters" LOL) never used to be such a big problem....why is it such a big deal now? 20+ years ago as a beginners swim helper I remember we'd just scoop it out and continue on our way knowing that pools usually have adequate amounts of chlorine in them. Don't remember anyone getting sick from it.

Sadly my grandson caused a closure last fall at our local hotel pool when he spit up a little bit after choking on the pool water..it really seemed like overkill to close the pool for that. He wasn't sick, it was that he choked after getting splashed in the face/mouth.

I was told by a lifeguard that most pools have cut back on the chlorine since the old days (I can remember my eyes watering from just being near the pool when the windows were closed in the winter) So, if something happens, they're supposed to shock the pool to make sure there's enough chemicals to kill any possible bacteria.

That being said, there's enough chemical in a properly monitored pool to kill any bacteria. So it is probably overkill. But one campground where we like to stay (they have 2 pools side by side) closes each of the pools for an hour twice each day to shock them, just in case.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter