BCS National Championship Game

The point is that many of us strongly believe that this year the best two or three teams all come from the SEC. Just because LSU played Alabama last year does not mean that two SEC teams should not have played again this year. So many people whined about the all SEC championship last year the thought is that there was no way there would be a repeat again this year.

After that farce of a game last night how can you not think that A&M or Georgia did not deserve to be there instead of Notre Dame? Georgia's second loss came in the very close conference championship game against Alabama. I think a rematch of that game would have been a much better game.

The SEC has had a team in each of the last 7 BCS title games because they were the best. With the strength of our conference, the argument can be made that the second team in the title game should come from the SEC more often.

The main problem with your arguement is that we all watched an SEC championship game just a few weeks ago and the victor played for the national championship. That was the purpose in having conference championships, to decide the best representative going forward. The SEC rarely plays teams of merit from other major conferences during the season, so the entire rest of the US would like to see how they actually will do against other conference champions. For the first time the SEC had to play some new blood from the big 12 this season in Texas A&M and they beat Alabama..............and a bunch of other SEC powers This is a first season transplant from the big 12 with no SEC credentials. They were a 6-6 team in the big 12 in the bottom half of their division before the move. If anything, this season showed the chink in the armor.

No, the goal of the BCS is to provide just enough of a championship-like substance to keep the bowl system alive. It is certainly not in place to determine the best team. And the number of losses argument is just ridiculous.
The BCS came about because of all the complaints surrounding the old bowl system and "split" polls. It's goal is not to provide an "even" game.

I said it before, ND deserved to be in the came as the BCS is currently structured. That is because ND was undefeated, is a well-known brand, and was able to navigate a favorable schedule. None of these factors indicate that they are one of the top two, or even five teams, in college football.
"A well known brand" factors into the computer polls how? I think we can all agree an 8 or 16 team playoff is the right way to crown a National Champion.

Finally, are you seriously arguing ND's case by relying on a spread that was "only" 9.5?
I am "arguing" that no one predicted the blowout that happened. Yet folks are now saying the blowout was so bad, ND shouldn't have been invited to the game. Hindsight is 20/20.

In case you're wondering how ND fans are feeling this week, this article perfectly sums it up:

http://nymag.com/daily/sports/2013/...et-hammered-last-night.html?mid=twitter_nymag

My favorite quote: In movie terms, we wanted to be Emma Stone — likable, adorable, just plain nice, likely to triumph on the strength of her moxie. The rest of the world wanted us to be Lindsay Lohan. Notre Dame Football means everyone yearns for you to cry, then cackles and salivates when you inevitably do.

As for another SEC team in the title game... why in the world would Georgia have been there? The goal of the game, in my mind, is to figure out who the best team in the country is (which has NOTHING to do with providing a "good game") Is George or Alabama better? We already know that answer, not based on polls or stats, but based on a game on the field: Alabama is better. No reason to ask that question again. Is ND or Alabama better? We didn't know that. (Clearly, now we do. :rotfl: ) So you play it on the field. Any SEC team COULD have been the NC game, but we already knew who the best SEC team was, so why would we need to play another SEC v SEC game to figure that out?

There are many years in the NFL where either the AFC or NFC championship games are really the Super Bowl. One of those games is often better than the SB as the 2 best two left are from the same conference.

So sure....Georgia / Bama was a better game then ND / Bama and maybe was the game to decide the "real" national championship. However, there was no way a month after playing that a 2 loss GA was going to get another shot at Bama for the title.

They had their chance and blew it -- as did LSU/Florida and all the other SEC teams. If they wanted to play in the championship, they should made it to the SEC title game and taken a shot at Bama.

ND was undefeated....and by most every strength of schedule measure out there played a schedule better than or equal to the level of difficulty that Alabama played.

ND played horrible Monday night....it may have been due to Alabama's experience, skill, nerves, ND lack of talent or all of the above --- we'll never know for sure....but Notre Dame EARNED the right to play in that game. Going 12-0 and playing a good schedule will generally earn you a shot at the title. This team was unranked at the start of the year and became #1. That wasn't just given to them for tv ratings.

Had to share, from Facebook

Twas the night of the Championship, and all through South Beach, Notre Dame fans were saying, "Another title's in reach!" The luck of the Irish had carried them through, with wins over Pittsburgh and even Purdue. The Damers were nestled all snug in their seats, with visions of crystal... just one team to beat! And I in my houndstooth and crimson and white, knew for the Irish, it will be a long night.

When out of the tunnel there arose such a thunder. Fans stood to their feet with amazement and wonder. The ground shook like an earthquake had just hit the turf, and I felt Irish fear begin to give birth. They scattered and looked for some place to hide, as the announcer proclaimed, "AND HERE COMES THE TIDE!" I sang "Yea Alabama," yes I sang every word, as Notre Dame marveled at the elephant herd. Led by a man both lively and quick, everyone knew that he was Saint Nick. More rapid than eagles, his coursers they came..... He whistled and shouted and ...called them by name. "Now Lacy! Now Milliner! McCarron and Fluker! On Barrett! On Mosley! On Yeldon and Cooper!" " Miami is where Notre Dame's luck shall end. The BCS trophy is ours once again!"

Then after the kickoff, a beating began. The Irish now knew that they were out-manned. They tried to get going, but never could start. They were simply no match for the defense of Smart. Brian Kelley cried out, "This just isn't fair! Saban was given a month to prepare!" But his cries were not heard, they fell on deaf ears. "We have to adjust! We have to switch gears!"

Then Notre Dame ran what nobody expected. They faked the reverse, but the pass was deflected. The ball was picked off! The crowd let out a roar, as the Bama defender walked in for the score. Saban spoke not a word to his crimson machine. As the seconds ticked off, to number 15. If one thing was learned in Miami that night, it's that you don't bring a leprechaun to an elephant fight.

And I heard the crowd yell to the losers in blue, "We just beat the hell outta you!"

--
Michael Barker
mbarkerua@gmail.com

There are many years in the NFL where either the AFC or NFC championship games are really the Super Bowl. One of those games is often better than the SB as the 2 best two left are from the same conference.

So sure....Georgia / Bama was a better game then ND / Bama and maybe was the game to decide the "real" national championship. However, there was no way a month after playing that a 2 loss GA was going to get another shot at Bama for the title.

They had their chance and blew it -- as did LSU/Florida and all the other SEC teams. If they wanted to play in the championship, they should made it to the SEC title game and taken a shot at Bama.

ND was undefeated....and by most every strength of schedule measure out there played a schedule better than or equal to the level of difficulty that Alabama played.

ND played horrible Monday night....it may have been due to Alabama's experience, skill, nerves, ND lack of talent or all of the above --- we'll never know for sure....but Notre Dame EARNED the right to play in that game. Going 12-0 and playing a good schedule will generally earn you a shot at the title. This team was unranked at the start of the year and became #1. That wasn't just given to them for tv ratings.
Well said. The other teams (A&M and Oregon) had their shot too. If they would have "taken care of business", THEY would have been in the title game.

It's kinda funny to watch the ND supporters try to justify that their team belonged in the title game when the result showed that they clearly didn't.

Based on the current system it's understandable why ND was there.

The game showed how flawed the current ranking system is. That, of course, includes strength of schedule which tends to be based on the ranking system. (there are not enough head to head matchups between the top teams in each conference)

I did not attend a SEC collage and I am not really a SEC fan but anyone that follows football can see that 2-3 of the SEC teams would have had the same result against ND.

It's kinda funny to watch the ND supporters try to justify that their team belonged in the title game when the result showed that they clearly didn't.

Based on the current system it's understandable why ND was there.

The game showed how flawed the current ranking system is. That, of course, includes strength of schedule which tends to be based on the ranking system. (there are not enough head to head matchups between the top teams in each conference)

I did not attend a SEC collage and I am not really a SEC fan but anyone that follows football can see that 2-3 of the SEC teams would have had the same result against ND.

:thumbsup2 Very well said!

A) I'm not a ND supporter. The first game I saw them play was Monday night.
B) No one predicted this blowout. It's not like Alabama was schedule to play "Our Sisters of the Poor".
C) Other teams can't complain because, wait for it, if they would have won all of their games, they would have been in the championship.

A) I'm not a ND supporter. The first game I saw them play was Monday night.
B) No one predicted this blowout. It's not like Alabama was schedule to play "Our Sisters of the Poor".
C) Other teams can't complain because, wait for it, if they would have won all of their games, they would have been in the championship.

Except for Ohio State, of course. But that's another thread entirely. :teeth:

Of course. But, if they would have "taken care of business" (correctly), THEY could have played for the title. :rotfl:

Could you imagine the SEC outrage if an undefeated Ohio State played an undefeated ND for the NC?

The scenario actually shows why the 4 game playoff will be a much better thing. I suspect Alabama would have handily wiped the floor with Ohio State as well, so at least with a 4 game playoff, you have a pretty decent shot at avoiding 4 undefeated teams. (And I refuse to believe that a 2 loss team, even one from the SEC, is worthy of being in the NC game. You want to play for an NC, don't lose 2 games.)

Could you imagine the SEC outrage if an undefeated Ohio State played an undefeated ND for the NC?
But they controlled their own destiny.

The scenario actually shows why the 4 game playoff will be a much better thing. I suspect Alabama would have handily wiped the floor with Ohio State as well, so at least with a 4 game playoff, you have a pretty decent shot at avoiding 4 undefeated teams. (And I refuse to believe that a 2 loss team, even one from the SEC, is worthy of being in the NC game. You want to play for an NC, don't lose 2 games.)
I personally think they need to go to 8 teams if not 16. 4 is at least a start. :thumbsup2

The problem with labeling Ga as a "2 loss team" is that one of those losses was in the SEC championship. Florida sat at home that day and because of it, ended up with a higher ranking and better bowl game because they had only lost one game (to Ga) at that point.

It's like Ga was punished for making it to that championship.

To me this reveals a big flaw in the BCS.

The problem with labeling Ga as a "2 loss team" is that one of those losses was in the SEC championship. Florida sat at home that day and because of it, ended up with a higher ranking and better bowl game because they had only lost one game (to Ga) at that point.

Exactly. Some posters on this thread don't understand this. The BCS punished Georgia for being the Eastern Division SEC champion. It is ridiculous that Florida received a better bowl bid when Georgia handily beat them and had the same record without the championship game. Georgia came very close to beating Alabama (something ND couldn't do) but was shut out of a BCS bowl.

Notre Dame played a good schedule and went undefeated so, regardless of the outcome of the game, they deserved to be in the BCS championship. I don't think many people here think they were one of the two best teams in the country, but that's how the system works.

Exactly. Some posters on this thread don't understand this. The BCS punished Georgia for being the Eastern Division SEC champion. It is ridiculous that Florida received a better bowl bid when Georgia handily beat them and had the same record without the championship game. Georgia came very close to beating Alabama (something ND couldn't do) but was shut out of a BCS bowl.

Wait until the 4 game playoff starts, then you could see a scenario where the SEC title game loser is left out but a team that wasn't good enough to make the title game makes the playoff instead. I think the conferences recognize that risk but like the revenue generated by the title game more.

Exactly why analysis based on number of losses is completely ridiculous. A 16 team playoff with 11 automatic berths for conference champions might actually encourage teams to play difficult non-conference schedules instead of trying to avoid a loss.

The sport is much worse when the goal is to avoid a loss. This system is ridiculous.

No reason FL should leapfrog GA because GA lost the championship. But GA did have two losses and against 2 different teams. So I don't believe anyone feels too bad for them having no shot at the NC. Pre BCS Alabama would not have been eligible LAST year as they were essentially in the same boat as FL this year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter