Baked Goods at a Garage Sale?

wdw_dine_junkie

DIS Veteran
We are having a neighborhood garage sale later this month and I was wondering if anyone has successfully sold things like brownies or muffins at garage sales? Do you find people like to buy homemade items or pre-wrapped like the muffins from Sam's? How about bottled water or coffee?

Thanks!

Just personal preference, but I would not buy homemade food at a stranger's house. Too many weirdos out there. However, I know lots of folks do it. I wouldn't mind buying a can of soda or something prepackaged.

i would buy sam's club muffins-i would also buy COFFEE!! i would think that another popular item would be jucie boxes and something small like rice crispy treats for the kids (again prepackaged-buy in bulk at sams).

I would purchase coffee and pre-packaged items but am hesitant to eat food prepared by someone I don't know well. Sometimes I even pass on food at potlucks at work - not everyone washes their hands.

Thanks! I think I would only buy the pre-packaged stuff too, so I probably answered my own question. Good to know others feel the same way!

What is a reasonable price for coffee? 50 cents?

Every time we have a tag sale, my dd sets up a refreshment stand. She has soda, water, and baked goods (cookies, brownies). The first year she did this she also made a sign that said "help me go to Disney World". I was amazed at how many people just donated money to her. She has now graduated to selling hot dogs and soda. All money she makes she keeps. (minus the supplies she uses).

disneysteve said:
Just personal preference, but I would not buy homemade food at a stranger's house. Too many weirdos out there. However, I know lots of folks do it. I wouldn't mind buying a can of soda or something prepackaged.
I totally agree!!! When I hear people selling baked goods I can't believe it, but then it must sell. I would try prepackaged things that you would normally eat (then if it doesn't sell you aren't out anything). We tried chips and ritz sandwiches and cookies. Not many sold, but we did sell a lot of sodas.
I would probably sell coffee for less than soda, see how it goes at .50, it's so hot when we have our Garage Sale people buy sodas at 9:00, I did sell out on the Orange Crush.

I'd be OK with prepackaged stuff, but would be hesitant to eat or sell anything homemade or that was originally prepackaged but removed from the pkg. and put on serving trays, etc. Not only because there are crazies out there, but from the selling standpoint, think of the liability if someone ate something you served and got sick!!! Yikes!! :scared1: I know it's not likely, but with so many people having allergies, or other food borne illness problems, I'd be terrified of getting sued.

I agree with Disneefun... you wouldn't want anyone getting sick or claiming to feel ill from something homemade!

So much safer (and easier) to buy individually wrapped stuff that you would normally eat anyway... if it doesn't sell no real hardship.

We always sell soft drinks at our sales... and they sell very well.

This is kind of a minor issue but still something to think about. In most places, if not all, you need a license to sell food. So you always run a little risk of someone getting annoyed, perhaps a disgruntled neighbor, and reporting you.

I am in the minority here- I would buy homemade cookies or brownies at a yardsale. (Unless the people or the house semmed weird) Especially if kids were selling them.
I would not buy prepackaged items bought marked up and resold. But apparently if this board is a good meter- that would be the way to go.

disneysteve said:
This is kind of a minor issue but still something to think about. In most places, if not all, you need a license to sell food. So you always run a little risk of someone getting annoyed, perhaps a disgruntled neighbor, and reporting you.

I hadn't thought of that, thanks! I am fairly new to the neighborhood and don't know the neighbors that well. Maybe it is best that I don't sell food this year, if any year. I knew this board would be very helpful, this is very good information for anyone having a garage sale!

Coffee and Hot Chocolate are good sellers if it is chilly outside. I will buy Krispy Kreme donuts or homemade goodies but only if it is KIDS that are selling it (I usually eat the donuts but toss the other stuff once out of sight of the KIDS).

:)

I've never had experience selling baked goods at a garge sale, but I do know that many a times while garage saling I was soooo thirsty and hungry for a snack that I would have LOVED it if someone had sold a cold pepsi and a packaged snack (like Little Debbie brownies, etc.)

Maggie

We always buy the baked goods when it's a church or civic group. I guess it is a bit risky, but I never really gave it a thought. Sometimes the goodies are SO yummy and they are usually cheap. Always nice to have a little sugar to keep you going.

Sheila

We made brownies for ours and put individual ones in baggies-they all sold-BUT, my daughters were also selling them (and lemonade) to raise money for an organization that helps women who have breast cancer-they made $28.00!! :cool1:

That being said...I'm a clean freak and I don't know if I'd buy brownies unless I knew the family... :confused3

We sold bottled water for $1.00 and canned pop (reg and diet) for 50 cents. We ended up selling $48.00 in water (2 cases for $8.00) for a profit of $40.00!, and $22.00 in pop (2 cases for $7.98) for a profit of $18.01! Total profit of $58.01! I told my DH that next year we're just going to put a 'drive-thru' at the end of the driveway to sell drinks, and donate all the garage sale stuff!

After reading most of these responses, I too must say I'm in the minority. I guess you could say I like "living on the edge"! I have bought everything from water and soda to brownies, homemade pies and hotdogs. I've never really even given it a second thought until now. Will this thread change my thinking? :scratchin
Not a chance!
I have no idea how to make a good shoofly pie, and if I come across another one at a sale, It's MINE! :tongue:

Small town here, honestly I love buying homemade goodies at sales. I would suggest trying both homemade and prepackaged. If they don't sell, you'll have great cookies to eat yourself!!!!!! :sunny:

We just had a yard sale last weekend. My friend who I did the sale with went to BJ's and bought muffins and chocolate chip cookies and individually wrapped them. She also had cans of soda, bottled water, orange juice and coffee w/ creamer and flavored creamer. The kids worked the stand and made a bundle. I think it helped that we had a poster reading "A portion of the profits going to Hurricane Katrina Relief Fund". The kids were really proud of their efforts!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter