BAD review of GF--please comment, did we make a mistake?

Would these help?

105011_resize-med.jpg

105017_resize-med.jpg

105018_resize-med.jpg

105010_resize-med.jpg

105007_resize.jpg

I stayed there in May, IT IS ALL THAT and then some!
~Even the lamp was impressive~

Regarding pricing versus a Ritz or Four Seasons, give me the location of one that is less than 5 minutes away from a theme park. Again, Disney charges a premium for the deluxe real estate. And the golden rule in real estate is location, location, location. That's why the deluxes in general charge a premium.

Regarding GF vs. other deluxes, I think the GF does have some offerings that the other deluxes don't have. GF has a character breakfast and dinner option, a 24 hour quick place, and three very high quality restaurants on-site (including the however highly rated V&A's). No other resorts has that many options. Also, compare the common areas of the GF to the other deluxes. Lobby - GF is much more ornate and impressive. Grounds - from what I've seen, GF has the best grounds.

So I think there is a 10% - 15% difference in offerings at the GF compared to the other deluxes for the 10% - 15% higher price.

Originally posted by Snurk71
Regarding pricing versus a Ritz or Four Seasons, give me the location of one that is less than 5 minutes away from a theme park. Again, Disney charges a premium for the deluxe real estate. And the golden rule in real estate is location, location, location. That's why the deluxes in general charge a premium.

Some people would think that being on a world class beach (St. Thomas, Jamaica) or one of the best golf courses in the world (Hawaii) is much better than being on the grounds of a theme park. How about Central Park, steps away from Fifth Avenue? Real estate is pricier in these locations than at a man-made (however wonderful we feel it is) theme park. You're talking some of the most amazing vacation destinations in the world. That definately doesn't account for the price difference.

For many vacationers, theme parks are not the be-all, end-all of vacation destinations. What about being minutes away from history and cherished monuments in places like Rome, Athens and Paris? Many of these superbly luxorious hotels are cheaper than the GF and I don't think one can compare a theme park to the Coliseum. I've been having to justify my vacation choice to the people who take these sorts of vacations rather than theme park vacations for years. Though I adore WDW, I don't think this type of real estate can hold up.

No other resorts has that many options.

i'm pretty sure the CR has all of that too ;) , but to each their own. personally the GF wold be the last place i'd want to stay at disney,even if money was no object. it just doesn't suit me very well.

Originally posted by currycook
Thanks for your view. I strongly agree with you on the moderates. I believe they are the best value and deal at WDW.

However I dont agree with you on the value resorts. I think its better to pay a little extra and go up to the moderates. I dont think you get that good of service at the values and you can sometimes have a bad stay there depending on the groups that may be near you.

On the Delux's, we have never had a bad stay at a Disney Delux and love them. We have never stayed at the GF because it is so expensive but we have enjoyed about 5 of the delux resorts and really love them and have only the best experience at them.

Hi Currycook!

I totally agree with you!! :D I think the moderates are a great deal and worth every penny to upgrade from a Value.

Now, I don't feel the same about upgrading to a Deluxe. That pesky law of diminishing returns kicks in. :)

However, in defense of the Deluxes, I do love them. I love that they're there at WDW -- I think they're beautiful. When I can get a code, I treat myself at a few nights at a Deluxe. I've stayed at all of them except BWI, BC and AKL.

I think what they lack is that little something extra in the way of personal service. And, by that, I guess I mean when a guest has a (reasonable) problem, it's taken care of. Pronto. No questions asked. I don't think WDW is consistent in that regard - although there are wonderful exceptions.

A bad day at WDW is still better than a day anywhere else...

:D

Originally posted by harlock_jds
i'm pretty sure the CR has all of that too ;) , but to each their own. personally the GF wold be the last place i'd want to stay at disney,even if money was no object. it just doesn't suit me very well.
So does the Poly! I also think the grounds at the Poly put the GF gardens to shame.

i've stayed at gf concierge (sp). i don't think we could do any better....every time i go back to wdw....we go there and my heart melts....

Thank you everyone for writing --this has been interesting reading. Now for my input....I would still like to try GF, maybe not conc. ...I love the CR --don't rule it out....I love the Tiki Birds....it is one of our don't miss attractions.

Del

Thanks for all the info, I'm the original poster on this and never have I generated so many replies! Thanks!

So now one questions remains......WHAT is tiki birds????

I think that any hotel you stay at, a motel 6 or GF, you should be able to expect it to be clean and the staff should be friendly and helpful. That is what the hotel business is. They are not curing cancer or building rocket ships, they make their money by taking care of their guests. So I can see why someone who pays $300+ a night is upset to have grouchy cm's or a dirty room. Any hotel who can't meet this basic standard needs some serious work. I don't know how disney can let this slide.

Some people would think that being on a world class beach (St. Thomas, Jamaica) or one of the best golf courses in the world (Hawaii) is much better than being on the grounds of a theme park. How about Central Park, steps away from Fifth Avenue? Real estate is pricier in these locations than at a man-made (however wonderful we feel it is) theme park. You're talking some of the most amazing vacation destinations in the world. That definately doesn't account for the price difference.

For many vacationers, theme parks are not the be-all, end-all of vacation destinations. What about being minutes away from history and cherished monuments in places like Rome, Athens and Paris? Many of these superbly luxorious hotels are cheaper than the GF and I don't think one can compare a theme park to the Coliseum. I've been having to justify my vacation choice to the people who take these sorts of vacations rather than theme park vacations for years. Though I adore WDW, I don't think this type of real estate can hold up.
[/QUOTE]

Some people do think those destinations are much better than WDW, and they should go to those great places. (I personally think it is much more than a "theme park", but I digress.) But just because real estate is pricier in those locations, doesn't mean that is the reason for a price difference. The reason there is a price difference between the GF and the others is that people will pay for it! If the market will bear it , Disney will continue to charge that rate.

It doesn't matter what the hotels in Rome, Athens, and Paris charge. This type of real estate will hold up, it has for years and will continue to. Because people are still staying there and will continue to do so.

I don't think you can compare the GF to a Ritz-Carlton or other top-of-the-line chain resort/hotel. That type of place caters to a certain clientele. The WDW customer, even at the GF, is a different crowd. Many, many more children, a slightly more informal atmosphere, a generally less wealthy group.

I have stayed there and we enjoyed ourselves and had a positive experience. Having said that I would not tolerate a room that wasn't clean. I have changed rooms immediately after check in due to an unacceptable situation and was very happy with the customer service and attentiveness that I got. That was at the CR.

Originally posted by J.C.&ALI'SMOM
[B
But just because real estate is pricier in those locations, doesn't mean that is the reason for a price difference. [/B]

I agree about the real estate factor. I was responding to another poster who was giving that reason for the GF charging as much as places like the Ritz-Carlton and the Four Seasons. That doesn't make sense, IMHO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter