Back to the West 2014

There have been some awesome deals on the 6D. If you are considering that as an alternative, subscribe to Canonpricewatch.com and you'll get notice on all the deals.

The lenses were indeed an issue for me. That part was really hard to swallow. But I had some decent EF-S lenses and was able to sell some. Good glass holds its value pretty well.

What camera do you have now?
Right now I have a T2i, and a mix of EF and EFS lenses, so I might be able to keep one or two of my better ones if I go to the 6D. I'm about to hit "send" on my shopping cart at borrowlenses.com and play with it during the 24 hour day at the end of the month. Right now the only lenses in my cart are a 24-70mm/f2.8 and a 50mm/f1.8. I'm still thinking about what else to add to keep my bag light. And I need to go see if my own 50mm prime lens is EF or EFS.

I can't believe I've been going to Disneyland for almost 30 years and never noticed that bathroom!

Right now I have a T2i, and a mix of EF and EFS lenses, so I might be able to keep one or two of my better ones if I go to the 6D. I'm about to hit "send" on my shopping cart at borrowlenses.com and play with it during the 24 hour day at the end of the month. Right now the only lenses in my cart are a 24-70mm/f2.8 and a 50mm/f1.8. I'm still thinking about what else to add to keep my bag light. And I need to go see if my own 50mm prime lens is EF or EFS.

I can't believe I've been going to Disneyland for almost 30 years and never noticed that bathroom!

The T2i is a very capable camera. It's what I used up until fall when I got the 6D. I was always comfortable going up to 3200ISO.

I think you'd be happy with that 24-70 and the nifty fifty in the parks. I think I'm breaking out the nifty fifty for the first time in ages to keep my own bag light on our stop at MK this summer.

Let me know what you ended up doing, then come back after your trip and let me know how it went!

Too funny that you hadn't seen those bathrooms. I hadn't either! I'm so glad my friend told me to check them out! :)

A very nice update from your trip. I always enjoy going in NOS to see the decorations. The decorations at NOS has changed over the years and it can be sad to see something replaced with something new. Almost every year, NOS changes some type of decorations. If you pay attention closely, you can tell what has changed and the same. You can ask @Sherry E about that which she has a great memory of what has changed.

The f/1.4 lens is a must for any dark rides especially with PP. I will have to try the f/1.4 one day which I have enjoyed using the f/1.8.

Thanks Bret. I know the decorations have changed through the years, mostly due to the photos in Sherry's superthread. I know they aren't as good as they used to be, but they're new to me and better than anything they do at WDW. So it's all good. :)

The Sigma 35mm f/1.4 lens is awesome and super sharp. (It's hard to believe it's made by the same company as that 18-35 lens I returned). I love it to bits. But I'm probably going to take my nifty fifty to MK this summer to try and keep my bag lighter.

Janet --

I think you'll enjoy Halloween Time, but as the main person who has been championing Halloween Time visits to people on this forum for the last several years, I am being honest in saying that it is nowhere close to being on the same level as the holiday season, in terms of immersion and all-around decor. Halloween Time is fun in its own way, but I am always a bit surprised that Disney manages to stretch it out for 6 or 7 weeks when the offerings are on the 'thin' side.

I think it all comes down to perception, and which holiday one prefers more. If you are more of a Halloween person, then what Disneyland has to offer will be delightful. You won't notice what's there or not there. If you are more of a Holiday season person -- now that you have experienced DLR for the holidays for 2 years in a row -- you might notice all of the spots around DLR that are not decorated for Halloween as they would be for the holidays. The contrast becomes more striking.

I remember reading someone's review on Yelp that said that "all of the rides" at DL get Halloween makeovers... which is unequivocally untrue. TWO rides get Halloween overlays -- and one of those rides shares its overlay with the Holidays, as we know! But, in this Yelp person's mind, his perception was apparently that there was so much Halloween fun to be had that "all of the rides" had Halloween overlays! It's a nice, optimistic way to view Halloween Time at DLR, but it's just not true!

As Bret said, there always seem to be small (and sometimes large) changes to the holiday décor every year. With each new Halloween Time and new holiday season I am anxious -- and a bit afraid -- to see what has been added, gone missing or been moved or changed in some way. Even the Winter Castle has looked different over the last couple of years than it did in the past.

About watermarking -- it's certainly not a bad idea for your stunning photos, but I will say that Internet thieves will steal photos and claim them as their own even if the photos are not of the caliber and quality of yours! It has happened to me. Someone stole photos of mine (not Disneyland photos), put their OWN watermark on them -- :lmao: -- and posted them on other sites. And these photos were taken with ancient, crummy cameras back in the '80s. People think that they own whatever they see on the Internet because it's on the Internet, and have no idea or concern that they are incorrect.

The other day I was rounding up some photos that I was using in... a project... (more on that soon, hopefully) and I batch processed them to save myself some time in resizing. While I was using the feature I almost, almost slapped a tiny watermark on them and then changed my mind. If I make it too tiny and put it in the bottom right or left corner, someone could just crop it out anyway. And if I put a giant watermark in the center of the photos, it would not be good for "the project." So I was stumped and then gave up on the idea.

By the way -- off-topic, but I wonder if PrincessInOz realizes that I mentioned her in the Catalina Island-related podcast I did last month (with the DIS Unplugged folks)??

Sherry..... I'm so glad to see you here! I kept meaning to message you and just kept putting it off until I got more posted. And of course, as you can tell, I am yet again moving at my glacial pace. I will keep with it though. I haven't left a trip report hanging yet. :) Life is just crazy right now with school finishing up and Robbie graduating college next week. :)

I really think we'll end up there for Halloween. After seeing DLR in its full Christmas splendor, I would likely be disappointed in the lack of Christmas parade anyway. So time to try something new! And while we're big Christmas people, we're definitely big Halloween people too.

I thought the castle looked a bit different this year. I'm glad you confirmed that for me!

Too funny about that Yelp review. All of the rides? LOL. I loved the ones that had overlays but I can't even imagine them doing that to all of them. I would like to experience ghost galaxy though. So that's another vote for Halloween Time!

We have mostly done Christmas at WDW but also did Halloween once. And they have the same issue with almost nothing outside Main Street for the holiday. I'm sure I'll feel like something is missing, but I guess that's the price I'll pay for a little variety..... and for the chance to make Katie a creative new gown for the Halloween party!

That's awful about someone stealing your photos. There's probably even more of that going on with older photos since there are fewer of them to find online. Now that everyone has a camera, there are more to pick from to steal I suppose! :rotfl2:

One of my issues with it has been the same one you had. If I make it small enough to not detract from the photo, someone will just crop it out. And I have to say I really don't want to make it huge or put it across the photo. Sigh.

Anyway, so glad you are here. When do you plan to make it back? Are you braving anniversary day?

Last edited:
Great shots... and boy, I need to go into the washrooms more often! I love those doors!

Thanks Tina! You mean you don't go on a photo tour of the restrooms when you're in the parks? :rotfl:And yes, I did feel a bit conspicuous snapping that photo. :p

You did?

I didn't know! Thanks for the mention. I need to go find that podcast then.....:)

I don't listen to enough podcasts. I need to load some up on my phone to listen to on vacation this summer.

Joining late but I am loving your camera and TR. My dh, ds and I where there the weekend of the processional, and looking at your pics probably a section over in the WOC show! Boy was it a mad house but I was happy to finally see all the great Christmas decoration.

Thanks mrsskehan2013! And :welcome:

It really was a madhouse that weekend, probably made even worse by the problematic customer who caused one of the guest relations windows to close for an extended period of time............. :badpc:

So glad you found us. Lots more photos to come!

OK totally :offtopic: But why do people think flash photography in a dark ride is all right and never annoying for anyone else?

Take your pick:

1) They just don't care about the other guests' experiences because after all they paid a lot of money to be there..............

or

2) They just don't know how to turn off their flash. I suspect this one is just as common as the first reason.

Found your newest TR today and caught myself up. Loving it so far! You really got some nice shots of the Christmas Parade!

So glad you found us! :welcome:

I really love that parade. Thank you for the nice comment.

Hey Janet! Haunted Mansion had FP?? I don't think they offered it in 2013. It was the one ride we never got on because of the line.

Glad you get to stop at WDW. Have you done your FP+ yet?

And I didn't know about the playing card bathroom either! Might have to check it out in August.

Lovely photos as always!!!!

Hey Wendy! :wave: And thank you. :)

I KNOW! How awesome was that about HM?! That was a huge life improvement. After waiting in that long line in 2013, it was a real treat to find FP in use this time. :cool1:

I wonder if the playing card bathroom is now going to be the busiest in the park! :rotfl:

Sunday December 7, 2014 Continued:

A quick shot in Fantasyland before heading back across the park:

IMG_2626 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

When we got our HMH fastpasses, Katie found a pair of Indiana Jones fastpasses just laying there on the ground. She looked around and there was nobody around looking for them. The time worked perfectly with our schedule. So we took them and were able to squeeze in yet another headliner that night. We got in line for Fantasmic around 7 and chose our seats at 8. We got second row seats and had just enough time to hit Indy up right before returning at 8:30 to be seated.

There was a family with several kids in the row right in front of us. I let Katie sit behind a child's seat, but I was right behind the mom, who was hard to see around. So I asked the CM if I could stand in back to take some photos and they said that was fine. I enjoyed getting a second shot at photographing the show after over-exposing so many of my shots last year. It's a great show and I'm glad we saw it again.

We decided not to stay seated for the fireworks since we were going to stake out a spot the following night. It was amazing to walk out of the park past all those people standing wall to wall all down Main Street. As we hit the exit turnstiles, we heard them making an announcement that they could not continue the show because of the high winds. We had escaped just in the nick of time!

When we got back to the hotel, we were treated to a beautiful view of World of Color from the hall windows on our floor. We watched for a bit, but my feet were begging for mercy.

IMG_2673 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_2688 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_2692 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_2717 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_2742 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_2755 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_2761 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_2765 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_2787 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_2796 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_2832 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_2847 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_2854 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_2855 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_2857 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

Sunday December 7 2014 Continued:

IMG_2877 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_2894 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_2912 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_2914 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

Fantasmic Fun by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_2956 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_2975 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3002 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3010 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3011-2 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3011 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3016 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3032 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3040 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3051 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3059 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3069 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3084 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3090 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3112 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3159 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

And here's the spectacular view of World of Color from the window in our hallway:

The Back Side of Water by mom2rtk, on Flickr

World of color looks so neat! Are some of those photos from Fantasmic as well? I've never seen either so I'm not 100% what is what. Lovely photos! :D

World of color looks so neat! Are some of those photos from Fantasmic as well? I've never seen either so I'm not 100% what is what. Lovely photos! :D

Thanks Glittercat! That last shot was of World of Color, but the others were from Fantasmic. They do it over the Rivers of America at DL.

I am very impressed with your shots from HMH and Fantasmic! that day. The body with the high ISO makes a big difference when in HMH where it was very clear.

Good thing you didn't stay and watch BIHM fireworks that night or you would have been caught in those crowds.

I love this trip report, but it keeps getting harder to keep up since there are so photography nuts on this thread. :flower: Do you photogs realize you speak a different language? ;) Anyway, back to my whine. Are you going to post chapter links so that I can skip all of the high tech photography chat and just gaze fondly at the pretty pictures? :love:

I am very impressed with your shots from HMH and Fantasmic! that day. The body with the high ISO makes a big difference when in HMH where it was very clear.

Good thing you didn't stay and watch BIHM fireworks that night or you would have been caught in those crowds.

Thanks, Bret! The new body really did give me a huge advantage in the dark rides. It was a lot of fun seeing what it is capable of.

And we really did get out of Dodge just in the nick of time! :)

I love this trip report, but it keeps getting harder to keep up since there are so photography nuts on this thread. :flower: Do you photogs realize you speak a different language? ;) Anyway, back to my whine. Are you going to post chapter links so that I can skip all of the high tech photography chat and just gaze fondly at the pretty pictures? :love:

LOL, so you don't want to have philosophical discussions about the exposure triangle? :)

I'm considering chapter links. To tell the truth though, I have had some stalkers around the boards. I don't mind anyone reading my trip reports. I know what I post is all public. But they have taken to sifting through them to try and use tidbits from my TRs to use against me on other threads. At that point it just feels uncomfortable. And they have professed to using the chapter links to make that easier for them.

You do make a good point though. I might do it anyway.

And to my stalker friends? :wave:

That last picture is stunning!

Thanks ArwenMarie! It was a stunning sight. It was almost like I could reach right out the window and touch it. :)

Great shots, Janet. Bet you're happy with the body!

I'd be happy with it about 20 pounds lighter. :p

OK, what Body is Janet happy with?:p

:rolleyes1 :rotfl2:

Your pictures of Haunted Mansion and Fantasmic are amazing!! And what a great view from your hotel! :)

Thanks. I had a lot of fun with the camera that night. And the view of WOC from the hall really tempts me to spring for the price of a theme park view room one day. Sigh.

Thanks, Bret! The new body really did give me a huge advantage in the dark rides. It was a lot of fun seeing what it is capable of.

And we really did get out of Dodge just in the nick of time! :)

LOL, so you don't want to have philosophical discussions about the exposure triangle? :)

I'm considering chapter links. To tell the truth though, I have had some stalkers around the boards. I don't mind anyone reading my trip reports. I know what I post is all public. But they have taken to sifting through them to try and use tidbits from my TRs to use against me on other threads. At that point it just feels uncomfortable. And they have professed to using the chapter links to make that easier for them.

You do make a good point though. I might do it anyway.
And to my stalker friends? :wave:
Thanks ArwenMarie! It was a stunning sight. It was almost like I could reach right out the window and touch it. :)

Well I have a confession, I follow you. I'm not stalking. But I discovered that you were posting on the same threads that interest me. So I thought I could ride around on your coat tails to find interesting threads. If it creeps you out, let me know and I'll stop. I certainly don't want to be regarded as a stalker.o_O

Well I have a confession, I follow you. I'm not stalking. But I discovered that you were posting on the same threads that interest me. So I thought I could ride around on your coat tails to find interesting threads. If it creeps you out, let me know and I'll stop. I certainly don't want to be regarded as a stalker.o_O

LOL, I wasn't talking about you at all. The ones I'm talking about don't actually post in my trip reports. I don't have issue with anyone here. :) I'm glad you're following along, even if you aren't a big photography buff.

Just please tell me you know how to turn off your flash in dark rides! :rotfl2:

LOL, I wasn't talking about you at all. The ones I'm talking about don't actually post in my trip reports. I don't have issue with anyone here. :) I'm glad you're following along, even if you aren't a big photography buff.

Just please tell me you know how to turn off your flash in dark rides! :rotfl2:
Very funny! But for the record, no I don't so I don't take pictures.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter