Back to the West 2014

The T2i is a very capable camera. It's what I used up until fall when I got the 6D. I was always comfortable going up to 3200ISO.

I think you'd be happy with that 24-70 and the nifty fifty in the parks. I think I'm breaking out the nifty fifty for the first time in ages to keep my own bag light on our stop at MK this summer.

Let me know what you ended up doing, then come back after your trip and let me know how it went!

Too funny that you hadn't seen those bathrooms. I hadn't either! I'm so glad my friend told me to check them out! :)
I've been quite happy with the T2i - I bought it when I was deployed to the Persian Gulf and haven't regretted it for a second. I went through my lenses and I'm actually doing pretty well as far as EF lenses. I could keep my 75-300mm, my 50mm, and my 8mm Rokinon Fisheye (purchased because there was a single picture I wanted, and really just noodled around with afterwards). The only one I'll be really sad to lose is my 18-85mm, which is my go-to lens on the T2i.

I picked up my rented 6D and 24-70 (and an extra battery), and am also going to bring the 50mm and fisheye with me this weekend. Thought about the telephoto, but decided if I was going to bring a novelty lens, it should be the fisheye. I'll try to get high some time and take pictures of the crowds. No, NOT on the Wheel of Doom!

I like the challenge of going out with just the fifty and seeing what I can do.

Hey Janet! Hope you all are doing well! School is winding down and life is busy, but wanted to check on you :)

Joining in a little late but still.. I love your Christmas Hoodie and again your pictures are amazing!

Luvin Katie's dress from her dance as well.

:wave:

Hey everyone! Are you ready to get this thing moving again? So sorry to be MIA for so long. Life just has a way of getting in the way........ But I'm just not one to leave things undone, so I promise I'll be moving on this again very soon.

My first life distraction was Robbie graduating from college. I know, he barely looks old enough to be graduating high school. Sigh.

IMG_2507 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_2593 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

Then off to celebrate with some down time at our favorite destination.... Sanibel Island, FL. I'm still working on photos from our trip and will share some of those here very soon.

Hello - MOM2RTK - Just wanted to drop in to say hi.. don't know if you remember us.

Happy Mothers Day

You're going to have to help me out. Have you posted in my other TRs?

Welcome to my very late 2014 trip report! :) :welcome:

LOL Oh she could have pulled off the Converse too she is so cute.

That's a beautiful setting for pictures, I can see why you go there!

Hey, ArwenMarie! :wave:

I did see some other girls come out of the dance that night in Converse. I liked the sandals, but the Converse would have been a fun statement.

I've been taking photos in that spot for years. It seem so fitting to take some of her there looking more grown up.

Joining in! Thinking about a 2017 Trip to DLR. Haven't been since 2003 and so many things have changed!

:welcome:

At least you're planning far enough ahead that my slow moving trip report could still be of help!

Our first trip was in 2005. Yes, you are in for a real treat. :) Have you settled on a date in 2017?

Happy Mothers Day! Just catching up. I love the Fantasmic pictures

Thanks Jen. I hope you had a great Mother's Day too! And Memorial Day.... and Father's Day..... and Happy early 4th of July! :rotfl2:

Wow, Katie is gorgeous! So grown up! Her dress is beautiful as well.

Hope you had a great Mother's Day :)

Thanks. :goodvibes It's odd for me to see her so dressed up and looking so old. I think pictures this age really make them look grown up, but when you live with them, they still seem so much younger.

I've been quite happy with the T2i - I bought it when I was deployed to the Persian Gulf and haven't regretted it for a second. I went through my lenses and I'm actually doing pretty well as far as EF lenses. I could keep my 75-300mm, my 50mm, and my 8mm Rokinon Fisheye (purchased because there was a single picture I wanted, and really just noodled around with afterwards). The only one I'll be really sad to lose is my 18-85mm, which is my go-to lens on the T2i.

I picked up my rented 6D and 24-70 (and an extra battery), and am also going to bring the 50mm and fisheye with me this weekend. Thought about the telephoto, but decided if I was going to bring a novelty lens, it should be the fisheye. I'll try to get high some time and take pictures of the crowds. No, NOT on the Wheel of Doom!

I like the challenge of going out with just the fifty and seeing what I can do.

So now I have to ask...... what single picture did you purchase the Rokinon for? I keep toying with getting a fisheye. Isn't that manual focus? That's always held me back on that. I'm just too lazy to want to manually focus.

So what did you think of the 6D? And how was your trip?

Hey Janet! Hope you all are doing well! School is winding down and life is busy, but wanted to check on you :)

Hi Wendy! :wave: Sorry I've been such a slacker here. Are you enjoying your summer? Remind me when your trip is? I'm counting on you to get me all the inside dirt about how to see the new 60th Anniversary stuff. :cool1:

Joining in a little late but still.. I love your Christmas Hoodie and again your pictures are amazing!

Luvin Katie's dress from her dance as well.

No problem. I was waiting for you to show up! :)

Thanks for the kind words on the photos and on Katie's dress.

Congrats to Robbie! :goodvibes

Thanks! It was a great day.

OK, so it's time for my traditional "trip report within a trip report".

Robbie has chosen to stay home from summer vacation in recent years. So I was happy to hear that he wanted to come with us this year. We didn't even have to ask where he wanted to go. He love Sanibel like the rest of the family. He had not been there since 2009 and was ready to get back.

So on Friday May 28th we all few to Fort Myers. There are no direct flights from KC to Fort Myers, so we changed planes in Indianapolis. It was sort of an all day endeavor, but worth it to actually hit the beach that night.

IMG_2753 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

Back to when the boys were very small, they could never resist chasing birds on the shore. I have plenty of photos of them chasing birds through the years. So I couldn't resist this shot when Timmy took out after one.

IMG_2758 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

So now I have to ask...... what single picture did you purchase the Rokinon for? I keep toying with getting a fisheye. Isn't that manual focus? That's always held me back on that. I'm just too lazy to want to manually focus.

So what did you think of the 6D? And how was your trip?

This is the picture - the ship in the photo is about 160 feet from my (then) ship, so the only way to get a full picture is with the fisheye lens. That's how ships at sea get gas (and food, mail, soda...). It turns out that at least this fisheye doesn't work with the full frame camera, you get a funny keyhole look with a huge black vignette around it.

I liked the 6D, but don't think it's the one for me. I felt like it was a little bit slow to respond. I used it for the 24 hour day (which was lots of fun) and for a large group picnic that included sports. I just couldn't get some of the shots I wanted, both in the park and at the picnic. The funny thing was that I ended up sitting near a family of professional photographers while waiting for the parade and fireworks. We started chatting and the guy mentioned that he thought the 5 Mark II might be more what I'm looking for. I'll rent that next and decide after.

:welcome:

At least you're planning far enough ahead that my slow moving trip report could still be of help!

Our first trip was in 2005. Yes, you are in for a real treat. :) Have you settled on a date in 2017?

Probably June or July. My dad is s school teacher and they want to come along with us. Leaves our dates limited but at least California is more bearable in the summer than Florida.

This is the picture - the ship in the photo is about 160 feet from my (then) ship, so the only way to get a full picture is with the fisheye lens. That's how ships at sea get gas (and food, mail, soda...). It turns out that at least this fisheye doesn't work with the full frame camera, you get a funny keyhole look with a huge black vignette around it.

I liked the 6D, but don't think it's the one for me. I felt like it was a little bit slow to respond. I used it for the 24 hour day (which was lots of fun) and for a large group picnic that included sports. I just couldn't get some of the shots I wanted, both in the park and at the picnic. The funny thing was that I ended up sitting near a family of professional photographers while waiting for the parade and fireworks. We started chatting and the guy mentioned that he thought the 5 Mark II might be more what I'm looking for. I'll rent that next and decide after.

Cool photo! I have the same vignette issue with my Tokina 11-16 on the full frame. It works at 16, but if I bump the zoom ring and shoot at anything wider, I get that full vignette. Sort of an interesting look though. I sort of use it as a 16mm prime now. :)

I imagine there will be deals around on the 5DMii for some time. So if you rent and decide it's the one for you, there will be great opportunities to own one. I was mostly interested in the high ISO performance, so have loved the 6D.

Probably June or July. My dad is s school teacher and they want to come along with us. Leaves our dates limited but at least California is more bearable in the summer than Florida.

I call Disneyland our "summer home" for that very reason. Even if it's hot, they don't have the humidity and it cools off more in the evenings. I'm a substantial heat whimp, and we have done DL in the summer a number of times.

Friday May 29, 2015:

With both Robbie and Timmy along on this trip, the goal was to do more active things they would enjoy. In 2013 we tried kayaking for the first time and mostly enjoyed it. Katie and I decided to pass. I really enjoy photographing activities more than doing them. In my defense, I did participate in 2013, but Timmy had to pick up my slack. ;) Robbie decided to share a kayak with Drew and Timmy went on his own. Katie and I dropped them off at Tarpon Bay Explorers then headed off to grab a snack and browse some of the shops on the island.

IMG_2781 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_2784 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_2788 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

We made sure to get back in plenty of time, since I wanted to use my zoom lens to photograph them rowing back in. We were only back about 5 minutes when we saw them rowing in way off in the distance:

IMG_2811 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_2815 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

Not surprisingly, Timmy was in the lead. I think it's far easier to row as one person than 2. But Timmy was pretty sure it was just sheer strength. He was looking all smug about his victory:

IMG_2830 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

Then Drew and Robbie came in right behind him:

IMG_2847 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_2878 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

And suddenly Timmy didn't get to be quite so smug. I had Drew take the waterproof camera with him, and while photography was low on the priority list, he did think to get it out to record Timmy's moment of shame.......... right after tipping over in his kayak after losing a battle with a mangrove tree.

P1000521 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

Everyone was hungry so we decided to stop at one of our favorite island spots. I believe we have eaten at Cheeburger Cheeburger every time we have visited the island. They sell a one pound burger and if you order and eat one, you get to put your photo on the wall. Robbie took the challenge in 2008. They store all those photos in plastic storage boxes when they update their wall. 2 years ago we decided to look for Robbie's photo. We never did find it but thought it might be fun to try again this time. I have added enough of my old photos to Flickr now that I was able to pin down the year this time and knew we were looking for photos from 2008. We looked through every 2008 box and didn't find it when Katie spied more boxes. So we looked some more.

IMG_2884 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

And finally..... Robbie found it himself:

IMG_2890 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

Here's the original shot from 2008:

IMG_6715 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

So we tucked the photo back in the box and put it away, hoping to dig for it again next time we visit. Don't ask me why. It's just good silly fun while you're waiting for your food to arrive.

We came back to the room and they all went to hunt shells at the beach while I took a blissful nap in the cool A/C. After dinner, we visited the Lighthouse Pier hunting for shells and other treasures from the sea. We've always had good luck looking there, but this trip not so much. Still, it's a beautiful area to hang out.

IMG_2931 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

Patient Pelican by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_2946 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_2960 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_2972 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_2978 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

19152744661_f5296f1bab_c.jpg
[/url]IMG_2990 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3005 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

Back at the room later that night, Katie and Robbie inspected shells by cell phone light:

Evening Shell Inspection by Cell Phone LIght by mom2rtk, on Flickr

Last edited:
Congrats for your son graduating college.

Your trip looks amazing and fun. That was neat that you were able to find Robbie picture when you were at Cheeseburger Cheeseburger. I also like your pictures of the birds with the telephoto lens. When I looked at your pictures on flickr and saw that it zoom in was further, I remember that you used a 1.4x extender for those shots which turned out really nice even if you did lose one stop. It was very clear and nice.

Congrats for your son graduating college.

Your trip looks amazing and fun. That was neat that you were able to find Robbie picture when you were at Cheeseburger Cheeseburger. I also like your pictures of the birds with the telephoto lens. When I looked at your pictures on flickr and saw that it zoom in was further, I remember that you used a 1.4x extender for those shots which turned out really nice even if you did lose one stop. It was very clear and nice.

Thanks Bret. Graduation was a great day. I'm really proud of Robbie. The trip was the perfect way to celebrate as a family.

It was fun to find the photo of Robbie in the midst of all those years of photos at Cheeburger Cheeburger. It was sort of our own little time capsule. It's funny though that Robbie didn't look that much different 7 years later!

I'm not a huge bird person, but I had a lot of fun shooting birds on the island.

The 1.4 extender didn't make a huge difference, but I welcomed every bit of extra length I could get. That loss of the crop factor was one of my hesitations when going full frame. I'm used to having a little more reach. I think next time I would rent the 70-300 lens if it's in stock (it wasn't). I'm always just a little too slow to pull the trigger on stuff and I missed out. I thought I'd miss the one stop of light, but it was sunny enough it really wasn't a problem. I'm not sure what I'd think of losing 2 stops if I got the 2x extender though.

You're going to have to help me out. Have you posted in my other TRs?

Welcome to my very late 2014 trip report! :) :welcome:

I think it may have been past WDW July trips... My DD's name is Midori... maybe this will help.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter