Back to the Island-Double Dip Delight!Western COMPLETE~Cruising with a baby w/PICS!

As we left and headed up the brief remainder of the coastal road before arriving at the crossroads with Transversal road (also called cross-island road which would take us west back across to the downtown and port area), we passed a curious sight. It was, on one side of the road the “Mexican Kmart” and directly across the street, the “Mexican Target”. I don’t know what’s more intriguing…pondering what these places are like, or wondering where the “Mexican Wal-Mart” is!

cruise272-2.jpg

cruise273.jpg

cruise274-1.jpg

Right past the discount store drag, we arrived at the intersection with Transversal, where Mezcalitos and Senor Iguana’s Bar are situated. Both of these are more wild tourist bars, Mezcalitos having a reputation not unlike Coconuts.

Here’s the visual if you want to see where we are.

cruise275-1.jpg

We stopped here for a brief time; Ron wanted to check these places out. Sarah was sleeping so I decided to stay in the car with her while he and the kids explored.
We quickly noticed we were now in “real” Mexico, and here is some evidence of that!

cruise279.jpg

While they were gone, I amused myself by watching the iguanas loping around the abandoned building we were parked by.

cruise281-1.jpg

Mezcalitos was even more dead than Coconuts. There was certainly nothing titillating going on here, even a trip to the naked beach yielded no results.
cruise282.jpg

cruise283-1.jpg

cruise288.jpg

I never said my TR’s weren’t educational:

cruise290.jpg

cruise291.jpg

Meanwhile back at the car, some policia approached and pulled over not far from where we were parked. I watched them intently as they hung out with a local who was certainly comfortable enough to relax his elbow on the hood!

cruise292.jpg

I hoped and prayed they did not decide to target us for some of the awful scams we read about on the internet…you know the ones where if you are caught for drinking and driving they impound the vehicle and bring you back to the station and refuse to release you until you provide them with the bribe money they request, which is some random amount they deem well enough compensation for their time. These guys seemed pretty laid back, as I watched the conversation they hardly took notice of me, la gringa. As Ron and the kids headed back from looking around the area, the kids stopped to check out some Mexican dogs, much to the amusement of the federales looking on!

cruise293.jpg

cruise295.jpg

We pulled out and watched the rearview intently for more than a few kilometers before relaxing enough to breathe comfortably and no longer be concerned with dealing with withdrawing large amounts of money from our account and skeevy Mexicano pokeys.

As we drove back towards downtown and our exciting adventure was coming to a close, we were marginally drunk (I was still buzzed, but I was shotgun of course!), full, happy, and having a blast.

But we aren’t done taking (or being taken) for a ride just yet.

Next (finally!): The Great Filling Station Holdup

I really enjoyed this installment - it is so good to see the island off the beaten track and the local life and landscapes, and you seem to have had a real adventure exploring everywhere. Thanks for sharing. Loved the photos!

Yay! Great update. You are definitely getting me excited about Cozumel.:thumbsup2 Did you find English speakers at most locations? My spanish is limited to "Una mas margarita, por favor." and "Donde es el bano?":laughing:

Ok, just to let everyone know, we hung around Coconuts for quite awhile to let the drinks wear off (of me anyway). :goodvibes I was no longer feeling buzzed after eating all that food and hanging around for over an hour. Be careful to do the same if you make this trek or get a taxi. The last thing you want is the the Mexican polica ruining your vacation or worse yet getting into an accident. These drinks a potent... :rolleyes1

I really enjoyed this installment - it is so good to see the island off the beaten track and the local life and landscapes, and you seem to have had a real adventure exploring everywhere. Thanks for sharing. Loved the photos!

Thank you! Yes it was great fun! We were a bit apprehensive at the time since we had never been out on our own in a foriegn country before but we really should have totally relaxed! It was so neat!:thumbsup2

Yay! Great update. You are definitely getting me excited about Cozumel.:thumbsup2 Did you find English speakers at most locations? My spanish is limited to "Una mas margarita, por favor." and "Donde es el bano?":laughing:

Oh yes, everyone spoke english. Actually I don't recall hearing much spanish at all. We were at tourist magnets or alone most of the time though (of course really, everything there is a tourist magnet;)) And you certainly won't have to ask "Donde es el bano?", the places that have them advertise "CLEAN AMERICAN BATHROOMS" in big letters. I did run into a not-so clean Mexican bathroom later on so when I get to the next installment (hopefully not in another month! :rolleyes1) I'll explain in better detail just what makes a Mexican bathroom Mexican!

Ok, just to let everyone know, we hung around Coconuts for quite awhile to let the drinks wear off (of me anyway). :goodvibes I was no longer feeling buzzed after eating all that food and hanging around for over an hour. Be careful to do the same if you make this trek or get a taxi. The last thing you want is the the Mexican polica ruining your vacation or worse yet getting into an accident. These drinks a potent... :rolleyes1

Oh yeah, we were there for a couple of hours total. And I am really a lightweight. I didn't mean to give the impression that we were wasted lushes driving all over the foreign country with our kids in the back! LOL! No, the drinks packed a punch but we did wait until they wore off before moving on. Mexico is pretty notorious for thier extremely strict drunk driving laws and they aren't known for their ethics when it comes to arrests and prosecution. It is very corrupt (or so I have heard, we did not have a negative experience with law enforecement down there in any way). We weren't about to take any chances, trust me! :goodvibes

WOW you really did some research. Love that you got off the beaten path really were able to see more of Cozumel (and share it with us!) Those drinks looked good.. not all watered down like the tourist place we went to.. yet they did their job LOL.

Oh and the federalies scare me too.. even when Im with E or my parents that speak spanish... corupt beyond words down there. lol

Jen, loved the update! The pictures of the kids and the Mexican dogs were great! Too bad you couldn't have brought them back on the ship! :)

WOW you really did some research. Love that you got off the beaten path really were able to see more of Cozumel (and share it with us!) Those drinks looked good.. not all watered down like the tourist place we went to.. yet they did their job LOL.

Oh and the federalies scare me too.. even when Im with E or my parents that speak spanish... corupt beyond words down there. lol

Oh yeah. Ron couldn't believe I didn't mention how we saw those cops pull over two tourist girls in a jeep right as we pulled off. I totally forgot about that! We had seen the girls approach in the jeep and they certainly were not speeding or doing anything wrong so that did raise our eyebrows at the time. It probably had more to do with them being young and hot than it did the idea of them pulling a scam...but who knows! ;)

Jen, loved the update! The pictures of the kids and the Mexican dogs were great! Too bad you couldn't have brought them back on the ship! :)
Oh yeah! (I don't think our SR host Calvin would have liked that too much! :rotfl2:) She would have loved that, though. The only thing she would have liked more was some Mexican cats, alas we never did run into any gatos.

Okay, so I've just spent the last three hours reading all 18 pages of this thing, and all I have to say is..... EIGHT MONTHS?! Eight months writing a trip report and it isn't even done yet. ;)

Is that a record? PLUS, no one has yelled at you about it! When I had huge gaping gaps in my TR I was threated with death by stoning and other such vicious demises. A woman could have grown an almost fully formed child by now! ;)

All joking aside... amazing TR... perfect reading to get me pumped for my sail in 17 days!!! :banana:

Okay, so I've just spent the last three hours reading all 18 pages of this thing, and all I have to say is..... EIGHT MONTHS?! Eight months writing a trip report and it isn't even done yet. ;)

Is that a record? PLUS, no one has yelled at you about it! When I had huge gaping gaps in my TR I was threated with death by stoning and other such vicious demises. A woman could have grown an almost fully formed child by now! ;)

All joking aside... amazing TR... perfect reading to get me pumped for my sail in 17 days!!! :banana:

:worship: Wow! RV! Thanks for the compliments! :goodvibes

One of your TR's was one of (if not THE) first I'd ever read!!! :thumbsup2

Yeah I am bad. I admit it. I only think there has been no backlash since I lost most everybody over these long months....:rotfl2: Actually I am doing pretty well if you consider last years TR took from Oct-May and that was only a 3-night cruise so if you break it down I am way ahead of schedule! ;)

(and of note, last year I *was* growing a child during that timeframe!!)

I hope you have an awesome cruise!!! Can't wait to read about it! I was totally lurking on your PTR yesterday! :rolleyes1

(and of note, last year I *was* growing a child during that timeframe!!)

I hope you have an awesome cruise!!! Can't wait to read about it! I was totally lurking on your PTR yesterday! :rolleyes1
GROWING A CHILD lmao.. you make yourself sound like a plant LOL:rotfl2:

Uh uh, no lurking allowed! Post!!

Can't wait to read more!! :thumbsup2

OH MAN.. im gonna have to go over there I was supposed to be on that cruise.. but we opted to do 10days at the World instead... im bummed now :guilty:

Woohoo, I've finally caught up with you! Read all three trippies and am now ready to put enormous pressure on you to continue writing this one ;)
(yeah right, as if I was allowed to say anything, I can't even finish my dining report! :lmao:)

I really enjoy reading your reports, and they make me look forward so much to my own first cruise!

Woohoo, I've finally caught up with you! Read all three trippies and am now ready to put enormous pressure on you to continue writing this one ;)
(yeah right, as if I was allowed to say anything, I can't even finish my dining report! :lmao:)

I really enjoy reading your reports, and they make me look forward so much to my own first cruise!

Aww, thanks...and it's not too late to finish yours, you're only a couple of months removed...not nearly a year like me! :rotfl2:

It will likely be a few weeks before I can get another installment up. The laptop is going in this weekend for service (the one with the bad cord, not the one with the bad screen) and I just can't handle doing that much typing on my ipod..LOL!

Thanks for reading, it's fun to get to know fellow cruisers! :goodvibes

Just found this last night and have been reading intently! I cant wait to hear what happened on the rest of the trip! All the great TR's have coninced us to try a DCL cruise for ourelves next summer!

Just found this last night and have been reading intently! I cant wait to hear what happened on the rest of the trip! All the great TR's have coninced us to try a DCL cruise for ourelves next summer!

Thanks so much for reading! You definitely should try a cruise on DCL! They are so, so, so much fun! :goodvibes

It will be a little bit before I can get more up but I promise it will be worth checking back for! :thumbsup2

OMG - I can't believe I hadn't found this until now!!!! I'm totally caught up awaiting the next installment!!!!

Well, I now have reason to take another Western. We never really hit the shops in town and I never knew that Margaritaville was like a little complex with pool and everything. Definitely have to check that out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter