• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Back from SSR **Victims of a crime**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Wisbucky,

What awful things to have happened to you while on vacation. I do hope the situation resolves itself for you (and that you are feeling better after your kidney stone trouble).

Thank you for taking the time to share this with everyone, I appreciate you doing this.

Best wishes,

Karen

Sorry you had to learn this lesson the hard way.

I never leave anything of value with bell services.
After 20 years in the locksmith industry, I saw all manner of suposedly "trusted" people commit larceny, big and small.
Even members of the locksmith profession have been caught with their hands in the proverbeal cookie jar. Yes, it is a sad cmmmentary on humanity, but there will always be those who feel it is their calling to make their way in this would by preying on the hard earned rewards of those who are trusting in others.

Hope you never let this happen to you again.

Originally posted by goofy4tink
While a steak knife in my sheets would be 'better' than a sportsman's knife, I have to wonder how any knife could end up in the sheets, since they are supposed to be changed with each guest. I would hate to think the DVC resorts aren't changing the linens after each room is emptied.

EEEEEWWWWWW OMG was so fixated on the knife I did not think it meant they did not change the sheets EWWWWWWW

Originally posted by cvemom
No, not a steak knife. It was a untility knife with the blade fully extended.:mad:

OMG OMG! Thank God the kiddos weren't hurt OMG!

Unless that means that the knife was left there by housekeeping or someone else with access to the room post housekeeping....i.e. housekeeping did change the sheets, the knife came along later.

Wow...That's a heck of an experience to have to go through--especially at a place that's supposed to leave us with only happy memories!

Thanks so much for posting this, Wisbecky...without a doubt, I'll rethink what I hand over to someone to "watch" at a hotel now. My own upbringing has probably taught me to err on the side of being too trusting....I think it's time that mindset is altered a bit!

The thought that Disney has all this random crime taking place that is literally being swept under the rug is pretty disturbing, as far as I'm concerned. I realize they need to maintain a feeling of safety for people--and too much publicity of these crimes could jeopardize that...but THIS is ridiculous! How in the world can they seem so callous and un-caring about the whole situation---there's NO excuse for that, IMHO.

I sincerely hope you get some resolution to this whole ordeal, and that your future trips to Disney are memorable for good reasons!!

--Sarah

you know I agree with how petty crimes are handled by Disney. They can never know what is authentically a crime and what is not so if everytime someone misplaced their wallet but said it was stolen made the news then it is not fair to Disney they have to protect their image. BUT what I don't agree with is how they handle the tragedy that happens at the park like deaths, major injuries etc.

FWIW, I think some may have missed the fact that she doesn't want to post additional details on a public forum until after the situation is resolved.

This is an awful thing to have to experience while on vacation, especially the stones. Now don't take this as bashing, but by posting what happend and not able or willing to give all the facts, has just opened up a huge can or worms.

My suggestion to all, is if you have a bad experience, and can't or don't want to give out all the facts, then wait to post until you can. Once you are comfortable and have all the facts, please post, because with all the good Disney has to offer, there are bad circumstances, and they should be addressed.

I am completely missing something here. After reading 6 pages of this thread, I haven't really seen anyone ask the OP the simple question......Why did you seperate from your cash in the first place?? And why did you hand it over to someone else for "safe keeping"? Why all the secrecy about this cash and why post the whole situation for 60,000 people to all wonder about? :confused:

ClarabelleCow, I'm in the middle of the road on this one. I'm glad to get the warning or reminder to be extra careful when checking luggage. We are usually in Disney mode at that point which can blur the mind. If I were going to WDW in the next few weeks the warning is appropriate. But I can understand how things can get out of hand, open a can of worms. We need to be careful how we react to this type of infomation especially without all the details.

Sandy

Originally posted by TwirlerGirl
I'm glad to get the warning or reminder to be extra careful when checking luggage.

I would agree except that the OP says that the money was not even in the luggage. I think all of the secrecy in this post has led people to make false assumptions because the facts aren't all there.

twilrgirl -
I'm in the middle of the road on this one. I'm glad to get the warning or reminder to be extra careful when checking luggage.

I agree with you but I get the impression the money was not in the luggage, so where was it??? Maybe the front desk safe? Who knows, that is why I questioned why post this until they are able to give all the facts!

It's amazing how often people blame victims for being the victims of crime. Maybe it makes us feel safer to think crime only happens when someone "asks for it", but it's a little disappointing to read all of these "it's your fault" posts. I'm sure the OP would have done things differently knowing what they know now, but pointing out how "we" are so smart and would have done things differently doesn't help anyone at this point. That's my opinion anyway and obviously I'm not in the majority here. wisbucky, I hope everything works out for you. Best wishes!

Wisbucky

Hope you are feeling better and that your situation gets resolved soon.

Thank you for the heads up. We always have to be on or guard I guess.

I just want to add that last year before our cruise we stayed at VWL. We were given a HA room without a safe. Since we were going on a cruise I had jewelry that I would normally not take on Vacation, we also had extra cash and passports. I went to the front desk were they helped me to get my things into a safety deposit box. I had to fill out a card with the exact contents to be deposited, myself and the castmember had to sign off on the card that I was in fact depositing these Items. I was given a receipt. Several days later when we were checking out I went to retrive the items. I felt the whole transaction went very smooth and was very professional. I felt like I was dealing with a major banking institution instead of the WL. I would not hesitate to do this again.

Originally posted by jarestel
It's amazing how often people blame victims for being the victims of crime.

I don't think anyone blames the OP for what happened. The experience is being cited as an example or warning to others so that it might not happen to them. However, unless we get further clarification, I'm not sure that the blame can be placed on Disney either. We assume a certain amount of risk when we leave our cars, baggage, etc. When leaving real valuables, the safety deposit box is the way to do it.

Hi there!

I am so sorry that your cash was stolen!

We had our camcorder stolen on a previous trip.

Making all those phone calls and filling out the report paperwork is quite the hassle. Very unmagical in my opinion.

It stinks to have a crime happen to you when you are on vacation on what is supposed to be the most magical place on earth.

The best of luck to you in your endeavor to sort this all out.

My advice to you is to go back to Disney as soon as you can. Replace the magic so to speak and never look back.

Crime can happen to any of us, anytime anywhere. Disney is no exception.

Best regards to you!
Reneeprincess:

Originally posted by PamOKW
I don't think anyone blames the OP for what happened. The experience is being cited as an example or warning to others so that it might not happen to them. However, unless we get further clarification, I'm not sure that the blame can be placed on Disney either. We assume a certain amount of risk when we leave our cars, baggage, etc. When leaving real valuables, the safety deposit box is the way to do it.

My point was that reading the OP's story was sufficient warning to anyone else. Posting "what I would have done" just sounds like ego stroking to me. It's not exactly difficult to say what a better course of action would have been AFTER a situation happens. And I don't recall the OP asking for advice on how to better handle the situation next time. I'm not placing blame on anyone. Thieves can be anywhere.

Please refrain from the argumentative posts here.

I have to agree with the thought one cannot present only a portion of the facts and expect unquestioning support from the internet community.

Perhaps if the OP can enlighten us as to where the money was left, then it would clear up the matter here.

I believe the Front Desk safe is the only place one can actually leave cash and be assured of its safety. Please use Travelers Checks or go with the credit card method instead of bringing all your trip money as cash. Very risky anywhere nowadays. IMHO.

Well, I have at least one idea of why OP may have been separated from their cash, although this is just my experience.

On first and last day, when my room is not yet ready to check in, and when storing luggage, I am never sure of the safest place for my cash!! If it's the first day, and I have lots of cash, (there have been trips where I just didn't plan well enough to get to the bank to get the traveller's checks-hence large amount of cash) I have been very wary of taking all that cash with me to the parks! I have definitely left cash in my purse, in my luggage in the luggage room, never even thinking for a minute that it might be stolen!!! Naive????? I guess so; just never gave any thought that those oh so friendly luggage guys at OKW could actually be thieves!! And guess what???? It never occurred to me that there would be a safe available at the front desk!!! And I'm sure you are all thinking, "duhhh", LOL!

Now, a question for a previous poster -- why are places beginning to refuse to take American Express traveller's checks??

And finally, everyone is focusing on why OP left cash unattended, when I believe the point of the post is to make it known their impressions of how Disney reacts to crime happening on property, and the lack of cooperation at the front desk in helping them to get some cash by cashing a personal check --very inhospitable.

Just my .02:wave2:

If you ask me, the victim here is Disney. Everyone is quick to hold them responsible for the actions of others. The only safe place for your cash is in your pocket or in the bank. My parents tought that to me when I was young and I teach that to my children and hopefully they will pass that on to their children. I am sorry that you lost that money, but it sounds like you trusted someone you should not have trusted. If this was not in your luggage, then one can reasonably assume it was given to someone to hold as a valuable and that is like holding up a sign "prime for the picking" I am not chastising you, on the contrary, I feel for your loss and empathize with your situation, but it is evident that the money was in a non secure place and that is what led to it's disappearance. If it were left in a secure place, someone could have been held accountable for it's loss. I hope you have better luck next time on your vacation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter