Back from SSR **Victims of a crime**

Status
Not open for further replies.

wisbucky

3 Years until we our Floridians permanently!!
We came back from SSR on July 12th. Due to some problems along the way I have waited until now to post our trip report. We had a trip that was horrible, however, we have some good things to say about our stay. I will start with the positive areas first.

We arrived at 12:00 p.m. on July 8 at SSR. Checked in but our room was not ready. We asked what view we had and were told that we did not get a DTD view. We were told that all of the studios were already filled. So we had our luggage stored and took off for the parks. Headed to OKW to shop at Conch Flats and then to BC for Beaches and Cream. DELICIOUS!!!! We then headed to DTD to shop some more. Had a great time doing this.

Checked back in at SSR at 5:00 p.m. room was ready but we requested to change to a different room. Note: we did not go to our room first but requested a change while at the front desk yet to see if we could get a view of DTD. The desk clerk was very helpful and indicated that there was a smoking optional room available. He checked and found that all the previous guests had been requesting non-smoking for this room. The room was beautiful. We had room number 2101. We were on the first floor and the pool was directly out from us. We could see the fireworks from DTD at night and the landscaping was just gorgeous.

The room itself was very very clean. Loved the design and the room had plenty of space for two adults. Also at night it was extremely quiet when we slept. I would definitely stay here again.

There is lots of construction going on but now of it interfered with our stay. We did not get a chance to try the main pool by the Carriage House but we did take in the quiet pool by our room. The main pool was always busy.

We spent most of this trip at MK. We did do E-ride night and had a blast. We only found that the waiting line to be long for Peter Pan and Winnie the Pooh when Philharmagic let out. But it was only at the most a ten-minute wait. We rode the rides over and over and over again. It was awesome.

We were lucky enough to share an illuminations cruise on July 11th. Our guide was great. The view of illuminations was outstanding. I would highly recommend everyone to try the cruise at least once. After Illuminations the guide gave us and two other guests from the boat a ride over to MGM so we could catch Fantasmic.

It was hot during our stay but we made good use of the day. We spent the hottest portion of the day either back at the pool or inside buildings. The nighttime tempature was just perfect for us. Remember we have been stuck in Wisconsin with nothing but rain rain rain and temps in the 60's for most of our summer so far.

Now for the sad news. On July 9th we discovered we had money stolen. Once our investigation is completed I will give you all the details. After retracing our tracks we discovered that the money was stolen while we had our luggage in the luggage room. We called the front desk and indicated we needed to report stolen money. They sent a security guard down who spoke with us and took our information. Being left with no cash what so ever we were in a bind. So we went to the front desk and asked for some assistance in trying to obtain cash. The duty clerk wouldn’t even offer to allow us to write out a check for cash. She just said her hands were tied and left us hanging. We finally spoke with the DVC group and they helped us out by calling the front desk. We were finally allowed to write a check out.

Now most people would believe that after having spoken with the security guard that you had just reported a crime.

WRONG!

We were given a claim card. On the claim card the security guard wrote a number and said this was our claim number. We could call on Monday July 13 and find out what had been done. Without going into a lot of detail we had a good suspect. So on that Monday I called claims and was told that no claim was filed and that I needed to call to put a claim in. Being slightly frustrated here I did give the person on the other end all the details and she indicated someone will call me.

A few days later I did speak with an individual in claims. I gave him my story again and he indicated that Disney DOES NOT PROSECUTE ANYONE. He also went on to say that Disney is not responsible for any criminal activity on their property. Now I did not ask any questions that would of required that response. I then asked what law enforcement agency I needed to call in order to file a criminal theft complaint. I was given a short run around and finally was given the number to the Orange County Sheriff. I was told again that Disney is not responsible for any criminal activity. This man informed me that Disney would do their own investigation to see if they should of known if the suspect had any history of theft. But that is all.

I informed this individual that I would be calling the Orange County Sheriff to pursue a theft complaint. I was met with silence for approx. ten seconds. I did call Orange County Sheriff and was informed that they will assign an investigator to look into this matter. I was also informed that Disney does not like to have the Orange County Sheriff involved in criminal matters. Disney apparently has a large amount of crime taking place on their property. They would prefer to keep it all quiet.

So now I just have to wait to see what takes place between Disney investigation and the Orange County Sheriff. I should know more by the end of this week.

Now to add to it all on Sunday (our last day) I ended up having to take a ride from MK in an ambulance to Florida Hospital for a kidney stone. We didn’t even make it to the gate at MK and I basically couldn’t go on. Not knowing why I was having such horrible pain DH had an ambulance called. Obviously this is not Disney’s doing. But it sure put a sad end to our vacation.

I have to say that I am extremely disappointed in the way Disney is set up to handle criminal matters. It is my opinion that Disney intentionally misleads you in hopes that you either drop the issue or fail to actually follow through properly. Having a security guard speak with you is certainly misleading to any reasonable guests. If anything Disney should inform you that you need to call Orange County Sheriff to file a complaint. We have informed Orange County Sheriff that we want the person responsible prosecuted and we will see it through.

Sorry this was so long. Guess I needed to finally just vent.

So sorry there were bad circustances on your trip. Kidney stones are an awful thing to have!

I agree that I would have assumed also that talking with the security guard was the same thing as filing a complaint. That is good to know, because now if anything happens, we will know to call the sheriff immediately!

Now I'm going to sound like the older parent and scold you fo putting cash in your suitcase! NEVER put cash in a suitcase. If you think you must have cash, take it in travelers checks.

I'm sorry that your trip wasn't the best. But I'm confused about how the cash was taken...

You checked your luggage and left valuables in it?

Now don't get me wrong, it should have been still there when you returned, but don't you think that some of the blame has to fall on you?

I would never leave cash or jewelry or anything else of value (credit cards, passports, plane tickets, etc.) in my luggage and check it. I'd either carry it with me or check it at the front desk into the managers safe.

Anne

Oh my gosh, what a nightmare! Are you feeling better?

I hope the criminal is found, and punished by the authorities of Orange County. I don't want Disney to appear to be a possible place of employment for thieves. It could be looked upon as a training ground for crooks, you even can get caught and it doesn't matter.

The darker side of the mouse is raising it's ugly head. Thank you for being so insistent on getting outside people in to check.

Bobbi

I am so sorry for the sad turn of events during your trip. Your report makes it sound as if you had cash in your luggage, is that the case or am I misunderstanding what I read?

Hope you have "recovered" from your kidney stone. Please keep us posted on the outcome of your complaint with Orange County.

Sorry to hear about the theft and our kidney stone. Sure hope you are OK.

Thanks for the heads up. If anything ever happens to us that appears to require police intervention, I know to call the Orange County Sherrif and not rely on Disney.

Best wishes -

Ya know, this post has given me a pause to think.

How many people drop off their luggage for the day and then pick it up and head for the airport with it? While I would love to say that I can trust EVERYONE that Disney hires, the point is that there can be a rotten apple in the bunch that could slip something in that luggage and have it carried aboard the plane!

I hate to sound like Henny Penny here, but we always take our luggage and lock it in the car after we check out. I know it isn't an option for those that use other means of transportation, but it is really gving me something to think about.

pinnie

That is awful. The stolen money and then a kidney stone OUCH. I hope you feel better and that your money is returned to you.

I get laughed at everytime we go away and I get travelers checks! It's nice to know who to call in an emergency. Thanks for the warning.

I know this is going to sound harsh, but WHY would you leave cash like that? I am just amazed that people will head off on vacation with all their funds in CASH.

The truth here is that Disney has NO way of even knowing if you had cash with you. Cash cannot be traced and leaves no trail.... which is probably why someone took it!

If you don't want to use credit cards, then get Travelers checks. In this same situation, you would have been able to call Amex and get a refund, now you are out of luck and won't ever see any money.

As to calling the local cops.... if they are like most local police they are busy and once again with cash all you have is your word which in this day and age means nothing. You aren't a local taxpayer and...basically there is no way to prove that (A) you had anything stolen and (B) that the money in the suspects pocket is yours!

As for Disney procsecuting... I am pretty sure you have to be a goverment entity to prosecute so nope Disney can't prosecute. They can and do fire however.

Originally posted by Pinnie
Ya know, this post has given me a pause to think.

How many people drop off their luggage for the day and then pick it up and head for the airport with it? While I would love to say that I can trust EVERYONE that Disney hires, the point is that there can be a rotten apple in the bunch that could slip something in that luggage and have it carried aboard the plane!

I hate to sound like Henny Penny here, but we always take our luggage and lock it in the car after we check out. I know it isn't an option for those that use other means of transportation, but it is really gving me something to think about.

pinnie
I agree completely! You know, on my last solo trip, I just didn't want to leave my luggage with anyone the last day so I remember sitting around SAB with my rolling suitcase. I'm sure more than one person thought I was strange. At the time, I wasn't sure why, but I just didn't want to leave it-now I'm glad I didn't!

To clarify a few matters here. The cash was in the luggage room but not in the luggage. I dont want to go into detail as this is being investigated and the area the cash was at had a lot to do with the person who is the suspect.

I dont want to get into a debate here but be careful not to bash the victim of a crime. Someday you may be the victim of a crime. I hope that never happens but if it does and you have others putting blame on you to a certain degree, you will wonder who they really are supporting. The criminal or you.

Just a thought to keep in mind.

I feel really bad about your situation. I would be pretty frustrated, especially since it sounds like you have a good suspect, yet Disney doesn't seem to willing to want to do much.

I appreciate the warning. We rarely check our bags with valet since we usually have a rental car and leave everything in there, but I will remember this for future.

For those who are criticizing wisbucky for leaving cash in their suitcase, ease up. They don't need a lecture 3, 4, 5 times about it. I think they got the message already. I think what wisbucky needed is a place to vent and they probably feel bad enough that they lost their money.

I am so sorry on your first trip to your new DVC this happened to you.

I try not to carry cash - I mean if you need cash that is what grocery stores and ATM are for - I mean yes the ATM will charge you - but as I said if you need cash.

Carrying cash at any time is dangerous - people have been killed for a few dollars.

I am so sorry that this happened to you. Maybe it was to help you understand the dangers involved in carrying cash so that next time you won't be killed.

I know little help now and I can understand how mad you are. Stop and think losing money (even alot of money) is far better than losing your life.

I can also understand not wanting to use American Express - there are now places in Florida that are refusing them - believe me I have tried.

I carry a couple of CC, my ATM (or debit charge would work) - and very little cash. when I need more cash I either use one of the ATM machines in WDW or if there is more time I will go to a grocery store and use the ATM card there.

This is one reason we do not like to have someone handle our bags. It always makes me nervous when someone 'takes' our bags for us. I don't leave valuables in them, but they don't know that and I don't want to have to worry about it.

We do use luggage service sometimes (recently we did at VWL--and no problems), because of the distance of the parking lot to the room. But this post makes me rethink that decision. We could pull them to our room (we pulled them from our room when we checked out).

The idea of someone going through my luggage, even if there is nothing worth stealing, is unsettling.

So sorry to hear of all that happened on your trip. Thanks for reminding us to be careful with our luggage. I hope your next trip goes smoother.

DJ

Sorry that this happened to you!

I had a much different thing happen at BCV. I called the housekeeping to ask if they had seen my sons pj bottoms, they did a bedding change that day and his pjs were on the bed and his bottoms had come up missing. The person I talked to on the phone told me should would check into it. About 15 minutes later a manager from the BCV showed up at my door along with a person from Security. I was shocked. They said to me "you had a theft occur, we are here to take the report". I told them that it was not a theft, meerly an accident and I didn't think we needed to write up a report. The security person confirmed that I did not want a report written up and left. Of course this was not truely a theft and it was not money being stolen, but I was surprised at how responsive they were.

Originally posted by wisbucky
To clarify a few matters here. The cash was in the luggage room but not in the luggage. I dont want to go into detail as this is being investigated and the area the cash was at had a lot to do with the person who is the suspect.

I dont want to get into a debate here but be careful not to bash the victim of a crime. Someday you may be the victim of a crime. I hope that never happens but if it does and you have others putting blame on you to a certain degree, you will wonder who they really are supporting. The criminal or you.

Just a thought to keep in mind.

Now I'M TOTALLY confused.

I've never left my luggage at the luggage room, so I'm confused too. So is there a drawer or something that you can lock your cash in, like a safety box or something?
We usually don't carry much cash with us when we go on vacation, it's a mix of cash, traveler's checks and cc. That way if something does happen, we still have money. I think some crimes are crimes of opportunity. I give crimals as little opportunites as possible. I try to think of all the ways that a crime can happen and plan according. While I can't think of everything, I try to the best of my ability to not leave myself open to be a victim. Yes, I have been a victim of crime, my purse was stolen when I was in high school and my visa was just stolen last year and they charged up a storm. It was my checking visa too so it came directly from my account. It's devasting when things like that happen and you just feel so mad and helpless, but I do take responsiblilty for my part in it. I now don't leave my purse in the car without locking it and I keep track of my credit cards better ( still don't know how they got my visa).

I often feel a little uncomfortable leaving my bags but only once has the room been ready upon arrival, we always take a very early flight and take airport transports to the hotel.We always stay at the Boardwalk and the baggage staff seem to be competant. I don't leave cash or credit cards but I probably leave other items that would cause me great distress if they were gone.

It's a lesson you'll never forget and I pray that someone will be saved the same grief because they've heeded your warning. Thank you for sharing.

Susan

Originally posted by wisbucky
...be careful not to bash the victim of a crime.

I don't think there is any bashing going on here. I just think many of us are incredulous that someone would check a significant amount of cash with their luggage.

That said, I do appreciate your report and I'll certainly be more cautious about what I check. However, if, in the future, I am careless enough to hand cash over to someone I don't know I'll certainly take responsibility for the consequences.

and sharing. Since there are so many other perfect people in the world, Im sure it was hard for you but you cared enough about others to share your experience.

I learned something from reading your post and I appreciate it.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter