Baby stays home for 8 weeks?

I was never given any guidelines at all. However, I did keep my babies in for several weeks (4? 6? 8? weeks--I can't remember exactly how long.) It just seemed like the right thing to do.

My oldest is 18. Her doctor told me to keep her away from crowds(the mall, church etc) for I think either 6 or 8 weeks. It seemed like common sense to me actually. Of course, when I had my next 2 it wasn't as realistic to keep them away from people and /or germs since the older 2 were in school. Anyway, to me this is one of those things that is to each their own.

We didn't go anywhere for about 3 weeks because of me. I was in worse shape than DS.

In our area, it mostly depends on the drs. philosophy as to what advice is given on how long to keep the baby home.

For my four kids we were out and about within 2 weeks. Sometimes sooner.

There's a particular dr. in our area who advises several weeks, especially in cold and flu season.

I used reasonable caution when my kids were out--not many people held or touched them, didn't take them out in the middle of a raging flu epidemic, watched that they were properly dressed, etc. and believed in the power of the immunity properties of breast milk.

My BFF mom had their youngest when we were 11. The baby went to our school concert at days old. I think it depends on mom more than baby.

I took both of my sons out probably after the first week to eat or to the mall. I go stir crazy if I'm in my house for more than a couple of days. But both of mine were born during summer.

DS #2 went to WDW at 8 weeks. People thought we were crazy but it was one of our best WDW trips!

I was never told to keep either of my newborns home for a certain period of time, but will admit that we didn't go out much the first 6 weeks my first one was born, mainly because it was in the dead of winter, and I didn't particularly like being out in the freezing temps anyway, and it's a bit of a hassle taking a newborn in and out frequently, IMO.

With 2nd newborn, I think we went out more often because she was born during the summer, and the weather was more bearable.

Parents should do what makes them most comfortable.

My DS attended his first party when he was 14 days old.....no 8 week rule for us.

My BFF mom had their youngest when we were 11. The baby went to our school concert at days old. I think it depends on mom more than baby.

Wow! 8 weeks! I would have gone crazy. DS was out and about at 3 days old. Our pediatrician (who's a mom to 3) said that as long as DS is healthy then there is no reason to keep him away from other people. Hes 15 months now and has been sick once. I can see 8 weeks working for the first baby but any more I can't imagine not HAVING to go to the store at least once a week for something.

My DD10 was born in December and our doctor gave us permission to drive from Virginia to California and back after her 10 day check up.
:thumbsup2

All three of my kids were born in the winter, and I've never even heard of staying inside. Learn something new every day! However, one girl at church had a baby and opted out of vaccinations, and her doctor did tell her to stay inside for 2 months, and she did.

My kids are old, 18,15,13. I remember with baby #2 the Dr. telling me I could take him out, but to "hold him close and don't let people touch him" out in public.

Baby #1 had jaundice, so just like the previous poster, we had to go to the pediatrician every day for about 5 days.

Baby #3 had to go where we went! We gook his brother to Pre-K three days a week and went to play group, etc.

I work at a zoo and we had a guest at the zoo a week or two ago with a baby that was less than 2 weeks old. I was a bit surprised but who am I to judge?

Wow, I probably won't win Mother of the Year, but I took #1 to an outdoor festival one week after he was born. #2 went to an Easter egg hunt at 4days old. #3 did stay home for the first 6 weeks, but only because I was sick as a dog with pneumonia.

I have a 1.5 year old and no one told us we had to stay home when we had him and we didn't. I didn't take him anywhere extremely crowded or anything, but we did go out to the store and went along with our daily lives.

Heck a lot of people have no choice but to put their kids in daycare when their maternity leave ends after 6 weeks (I was lucky enough to not have to do that).

Wow, can't parents think for themselves anymore and use their own common sense. They're told 'everything' to do these days! The Dr. suggested 4 weeks in '84 (he had had bad jaundice) - did I listen? No! He was healthy when he was discharged.

Society doesn't think parents should be responsible for anything any more - just print it all out in black & white. :sad2:

The problem with that is that a lot of people don't have common sense. Or they are ignorant to the things that could happen. Nothing wrong with Drs giving people guidelines....it's a free country(for now) and people can choose to make their own decisions. You chose to ignore your doctor and that's fine. I chose to listen to mine. That certainly doesn't mean I can't use or don't have common sense. I saw my perfectly healthy nephew come down with a fever at 4 weeks and be subjected to a spinal tap to rule out meningitis so maybe I was a bit more cautious than some parents. No big deal. it worked for me. I took her on walks and to see my grandma etc. but not to the mall or crowded stores. I was more relaxed with my next 2 by necessity...not as easy to hole up at home when you have older kids.

Nothing more full of germs than the hospital they were born in. I only stayed home as long as I needed to stay home. As soon as I felt well we went about our every day lives.

My family used to keep the babies in the house (except for Dr. appointments) until they were Christened (we are Catholic).

When my cousins started having babies, they kind of let that tradition go. I don't think I will be keeping them in the house either, when I have a baby that is.

I took my first one out to a retail store when she was about a week old and this older lady came up to me and reprimanded me and made me feel like a horrible mother for having her out so early. I must have gotten over it because I took my 2nd to Thanksgiving dinner the day after we got home from the hospital and drug my 4th all over the county fair at 2 weeks old. They're all still alive.

OP, perhaps the couple had cultural or religious requirements to keep the baby home for 8 weeks. I believe I've read the Chinese keep their baby home for the first 8 weeks and then have a red egg ceremony to introduce the baby to the world. Also, a very religious friend of mine told me once the didn't take their baby out for about 8 weeks to protect the baby from harm until it was christened.

Nothing more full of germs than the hospital they were born in. I only stayed home as long as I needed to stay home. As soon as I felt well we went about our every day lives.

Exactly (although mine were not born in hospitals). I also wondered what the point was when one parent went to work/church/wherever and then came home and held the baby anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter