Baby stays home for 8 weeks?

My DS went Trick or treating at 5 days;) Ok really he was in the stroller & I went with my sister & my niece.

Kae

I was told 6 weeks by my pediatrician with both of my babies. Not quarantined. But no malls, indoor places full of germs etc. She said to practice common sense. My son was born during flu season, I was very careful and protective of him, not as much with my summer baby.

And that makes me sad. What am I starting on?

It did not add anything of value to the thread and is potentially going to start a discussion on staying at home vs going back to work, which is a very hot topic.

It is the type of post that does nothing but stir the pot.

It did not add anything of value to the thread and is potentially going to start a discussion on staying at home vs going back to work, which is a very hot topic.

Actually, you did that when you quoted me and responded. Should have just ignored me.

I took my DD to church when she was a week old, and she was 10 days old the first time she went to Disney! DS was also about a week old the first time I took him to church. I remember having DS out at Target two days after he was born.

One of my friends faithfully kept her first baby at home for 8 weeks...and then took her second baby camping at 6 weeks!

I agree.

OP, I kept my first one home for a few days, but we got on a plane when she was 4 weeks old and went to grandmas! DD#3 is due in less than 4 (!) weeks, and we'll be taking a 13 hour road trip to grandmas when she's about 3 weeks old.

My first was in the NICU (8 years ago) and I was told to keep her home about 4 weeks (after she came home from the NICU, and she was in there 7 weeks). I'm about to be induced (June 9th) and they haven't mentioned anything. I could see keeping the baby home a week or 2 only because some deliveries don't go so well and some women might not feel up to being out and about. But I know the one I am having now will have a follow up doctor appt when he is out of the hospital (a couple days) and then they start the shots and though its been 8 years, I thought that was a pretty frequent thing at first.

I was told to keep DD who is now 15 months in for 8 weeks. I was a little shocked and it was inconvenient but she was born in flu/RSV season so I did it. She was also 5 weeks early.

LOL, I think that's actually funny.

I would have gone NUTS being cooped up for 8 weeks with a baby. Maybe these people have more family support than I did, but no way could we have done that. I had other kids to pick up and take to school, sporting events to attend, shopping to be done. I wore my 3rd baby a lot and she was a real trooper being carted all over creation for the very early days.

Absolutely! When we were trying, my hope was to have a spring baby so we could get out of the house. Thankfully (and luckily) it all worked out and we had an April baby. My pediatrician never gave me guidelines like this, I took her to the grocery store when she was a week old (during the day when it wasn't too busy). She was so curious, even as a newborn, so she seemed to like being out and about

I was never told to isolate my kids - all three healthy, full term babies, two of them summer babies - and I never did. I was in college full time when my oldest was born. I think he was a week old the first time my BFF watched him in her dorm room while I went to class. My middle child was born a week before my oldest started school, and missing his first day and open house wasn't an option so off she went in the snuggli. With my youngest, we stopped for dinner out on the way home from the hospital.

That makes me so sad.

Oh please.

My daughters are 20 and 22 and each went to day care at 6 weeks because I had to go back to work, and let me tell you that there is no reason whatsoever for you to be sad that someone else has made the choice to send her children to day care. Not your choice? Fine. My life, and my children's lives, have been absolutely wonderful these past 22 years, and I have no regrets whatsoever about them being in [horrors] day care.

Please don't impose your desires and your values on other people's choices.

Oh please.

My daughters are 20 and 22 and each went to day care at 6 weeks because I had to go back to work, and let me tell you that there is no reason whatsoever for you to be sad that someone else has made the choice to send her children to day care. Not your choice? Fine. My life, and my children's lives, have been absolutely wonderful these past 22 years, and I have no regrets whatsoever about them being in [horrors] day care.

Please don't impose your desires and your values on other people's choices.

That poster appears to be Canadian. They get a year of paid maternity leave up there. Must be nice!

My DD was born with slight jaundice, not too severe, and after she was discharged (at 1 day!) I had to bring her back to the hospital daily for 4 days for blood tests. It involved riding in a crowded elevator twice per visit with a bunch of people leaning over her and "oooh-ing" all over her.
She was fine!

Please don't start on that. Some women have to go back to work at 6 weeks.

That doesn't make it any less sad... not that they have to or want to go back to work, mind you, but that we don't do a better job of supporting working mothers with more reasonable/generous maternity leave policies.

With my first I waited a full 6 weeks. With my second it was a little less. With my third back to the full 6 weeks. I had also been told to be very careful with people touching and germs, ec...so I had the time and just kept them home. And I loved all that mommy time!♥
When I was working at Epcot I saw several babies that were days old. That was ridiculous to me with all those germs from everywhere!

Absolutely! When we were trying, my hope was to have a spring baby so we could get out of the house. Thankfully (and luckily) it all worked out and we had an April baby. My pediatrician never gave me guidelines like this, I took her to the grocery store when she was a week old (during the day when it wasn't too busy). She was so curious, even as a newborn, so she seemed to like being out and about

After years of infertility, I gave up caring what season we had a baby. God was kind though and made our first 2 spring babies. It was a lovely time to be out with a little one. :goodvibes

Our third was a fall baby. Not nearly as easy to get out and about that winter but we did. With 2 older kids, we had no choice. And honestly, it was pointless to try and quarantine her. The boys were in grade school and I'm sure brought all those germs home to us anyway!

So my husband told me last night that a coworker of his posted on FB recently that she is so happy that her baby is almost 8 weeks old and they can finally leave the house. He asked another coworker (also has a young child) if the baby was sick and the he was told no, this is standard procedure for newborns now.

Our kids are 9 and 17 and we both think this is nuts. :scared1:

So, is it now recommended for healthy, full term infants to be kept at home for 8 weeks after birth?

Wow, can't parents think for themselves anymore and use their own common sense. They're told 'everything' to do these days! The Dr. suggested 4 weeks in '84 (he had had bad jaundice) - did I listen? No! He was healthy when he was discharged.

Society doesn't think parents should be responsible for anything any more - just print it all out in black & white. :sad2:

That poster appears to be Canadian. They get a year of paid maternity leave up there. Must be nice!

Yeah, must be. My older one was born before FMLA and my then-employer didn't treat me well when she was born. I survived. Got a much better deal from my employer when the younger one was born.

DS is 17 years old. I was never told not to take him out. I went to stay with my parents for most of my maternity leave with him. We went up after his 1 week doctor appointment. The family wanted to see him so we went. I took him everywhere with me.

Now, DD had to stay home. She was 2 weeks late and born ill. They ran tons of tests but could never figure out what it was. She was in the hospital and on IV antibiotics for a week before her white blood cell count was at an acceptable level. She was also born in December. Doc said 30 days no leaving the house except for doctor appointments and she had us back almost as soon as we checked in. Doc said if DD so much as caught a sniffle she would put her in the NICU for 30 days minimum. She wasn't playing around either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter