Baby Naming Poll

What would you call her?

• Her first name, same as cousin and slightly different than aunt and mom.

Votes: 30 63.8%
  • Em-EE, for her initials

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Other, because there is always an "other"

Votes: 9 19.1%

• Total voters
Here's my two cents. I think your names sound fine. However, if calling her M.E., make sure she knows it's a nickname and also knows her "real" name.

I remember well when I found out my first name from an older sibling - I was six and it kind of devastated me - like I'd been lied to. I switched to going by my first name and went by it for many years before I was willing to be called my nickname again. Surprisingly, I've met quite a few other people with similar experiences. I don't think my parents meant for me to be taken by surprise, obviously my siblings knew my name, but somehow I didn't.

I never thought about this. Well, truthfully, we never thought about any of this because we were always just going to call her by her name. We're only thinking about it because my mom mentioned it and I thought it was kind of cute.

No one minds if we call her by her name. We have a lot of repeats in our family, think my Big Fat Greek Wedding when they introduce Nick, Nikki, Nicole....we actually have a Nick and a Nikki too!:rotfl2:

I'd call her by her name.

The nickname we thought we'd call dd by never stuck. And that's been perfectly fine.

I'd call her by her name and use the M.E as a nickname.

I think it's fine for kids to have nicknames like Sammy for Samuel, but often it sounds ridiculous using those type of names for adults.

Today my mom said you know, you could call her by her initials, think Em-EE sounding. I think it is kind of cute.

So would you call her by her first name, which is the same as my cousin and a slight variation of my aunt and mother or would you call her something different?

Very cute and I love it... both the initials and using the first name. Don't worry, you will have all sorts of nicknames. My daughter's name is Charis (pronounced with a soft C: share-is), her nicknames include : Cher... Sharebear... Sherbert... Shrub... and Gublet (don't ask... I am no longer sure... think it was a variation of giblet and Thanksgiving time)

IMHO: If you want to call her "Emmie" name her that. Unless her actual first name can be shortened to "Emmie" I wouldn't name her something and call her something totally different that isn't a shortened version/nickname of her actual name.

I guess I don't get picking a name for my child and then calling her something else :confused3
Three of my kids have always been called by their nicknames. I like everyone to have a formal first name (if I liked the name Danny, I'd name him Daniel). My dis was named after his grandfather, but no on calls him that name (sort of like Bill vs. Willam). They are always free to use their given names, and it's easy to see the correlation between their given names and nicknames.

I don't think I'd use initials to create a different name.

Just don't call her Late For Dinner.

:crazy::joker:
badumsplish.gif

I think if you like her given M-name better than "M.E." then I'd stick with calling her by her regular name. As someone else mentioned, I doubt there'd be too many times that you'll be with your cousin and I'm sure you can work it out even if you are together.

If you prefer "M.E." then maybe consider naming her Emmie, or a name where Emmie is a common nickname. I do not think "M.E." falls into the same realm as C.J., A.J., or M.J. where people will recognize it as initials. I think people will assume her name is Emmie (or Emily, or Emma, or Emaline, etc.)

That's cool. Anyone that calls my Emily Emmy/Emmie is going to get slapped. :rolleyes1

It's mostly the little sisters now. ;) But we did call her Emmie a lot when she was a little. Among a litany of other nicknames. It's a miracle she actually knew what her names was. She's mostly Emily or Em now. We had considered Madison for her, but disliked the nickname Maddie/Maddy so much that we went with Emily and a more acceptable (to us) nickname of Em or Emmie.

Which apparently was everyone's thought process from 1998-2004.

Here's my two cents. I think your names sound fine. However, if calling her M.E., make sure she knows it's a nickname and also knows her "real" name.

I remember well when I found out my first name from an older sibling - I was six and it kind of devastated me - like I'd been lied to. I switched to going by my first name and went by it for many years before I was willing to be called my nickname again. Surprisingly, I've met quite a few other people with similar experiences. I don't think my parents meant for me to be taken by surprise, obviously my siblings knew my name, but somehow I didn't.

I was the same way! It wasn't until kindergarten when my teacher reprimanded me for not writing my correct name on papers. When I asked my parents, I was really confused. I always was called the nickname by family, but not by friends or at school. Eventually a friend stayed over and heard my nickname, and started calling me it. So then all my closest friends called me that then.

I really like the nickname as "Em-me." I just think that's cute. But I also agree, I would make sure she knows her real name as well.

I know a Mary Kate who goes by MK and I think it's the cutest thing.

I think ME or Emmy, however you are going to spell it, is cute. But I still think plenty of people will call her Mary (just throwing that name out there as an example) because that's her real name.. ME might be kind of a friends and at home thing? Or one of those things that you tell the teacher on your first day? Like "Yes my name is Mary Elizabeth but I go by ME."

I have a friend whose name is Ajaye. As you can guess, really her initials, but I only know that because I've seen her diplomas; she uses the spelled-out version on nearly everything. It does amuse her no end to have people who don't know her try desperately to pronounce her "exotic" name: "Ah-ja-yuh" apparently happens often.

As a person whose initials happen to be M.E., but with names that don't lend themselves to common nicknames, I can tell you that as a kid I was always desperately trying to make a nickname out of them, and it NEVER occurred to me to SAY them rather than try to concoct an acronym sort of thing. This is quite cute, and I'd say that the odds are good that she will like having "Em-me" as her own special code-name. Just be sure to fuss at her by her full name -- no kid should miss that experience! :furious: (My own DD's full name is a mouthful -- and when she hears the whole thing she knows she's in for it, LOL.)

I also don't understand naming her something, and then concocting some other thing to call her. I think all the best nicknames just kind of evolve naturally anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter