Baby fever

I have it too. DS #3 is going to be 2 soon! Have you guys talked about how many kids you want to have? I would wait 6 months before doing anything.

I have it too. DS #3 is going to be 2 soon! Have you guys talked about how many kids you want to have? I would wait 6 months before doing anything.
He's from a large family(8 kids) . He wants our son to be an only child. We are at an age where time matters. I'm not sure he'll ever change his mind.

Yep, I was ready to start having kids about a year before my husband was ready. I just had to wait it out and in the meantime dropped subtle remarks, etc. But honestly if one person is ready and the other is not then you cannot just try and get pregnant, that's a great way to ruin your marriage.

ETA: I see your response above (he's from a large family, you already have one kid). Kind of unusual that he would want an only child being that he comes from a large family. What are his reasons for wanting an only child? I am an only child and when we (both) decided to have kids I was adamant it was going to be at least 2 because I did not want an only child coming from experience.

Yep, I was ready to start having kids about a year before my husband was ready. I just had to wait it out and in the meantime dropped subtle remarks, etc. But honestly if one person is ready and the other is not then you cannot just try and get pregnant, that's a great way to ruin your marriage.
i was also ready before my DH, but I knew I had to wait for him to come to my side of things. After we had our DD we were agreed we were 'one and done'.

OP, how old is your child? IIRC only a year, right? I wonder if there is a physiological aspect to your baby fever. In any case, you and your DH have to both be on the same page. If either one of you is unhappy about the number of children you have, you may be headed for trouble. Did he tell you he wanted to be 'one and done' when you got married? Is this a surprise?

DDiL had baby fever, after DD's new arrival, earlier this year. We are now expecting DGB #9. :)
:dance3::dance3::dance3:

He's from a large family(8 kids) . He wants our son to be an only child. We are at an age where time matters. I'm not sure he'll ever change his mind.
Did you have an original agreement regarding kids? I have always wanted 4. My doctor is against me having any more children physically. DH and I siad we would discuss adoption when DS #3 is about 5.

After my 2nd, I would see babies and want another but was also happy to be done. Then we had a "whoops" and baby #3 arrived. Now I see babies, ooh and ahh, and thank the lord I'm never having any more. :worship:

Yes, it took five years but I am pregnant with #2 right now. Before we were married we talked about kids and we were both on the same page with having more than one (I wanted 3, he wanted 2). I was furious when he unilaterally decided we should be a one and done. There were a few months when I actually considered divorce because I just couldn't get past it and he wouldn't discuss it. We finally had a few really good talks about it and he realized how serious it was for me when he heard, "All I ever wanted was to be married and have kids. I never would have married you if I knew you only wanted one child". (Obviously barring infertility as that is something we would have gone through TOGETHER)

He's not a bad person, just not big on change, worries about what will happen, always thinks the worst, etc so to get him to commit to anything big is a big deal. It took almost a year to get him to try for #1 even though we agreed to try right after the wedding. Plus we are older parents so that adds to it. Even if he would have been happy with one, he is excited for our new arrival and excited to see our only become a sibling. :)

BTW- I am done, done, DONE after this one.

If I can remember correctly, your son is around my daughter's age which is 2.

I totally get the baby fever thing. One day it hit me, and the following month we were pregnant.;-)

I also wanted to add that my DH talked about having another constantly the first year of my child's life. He was with me when I packed up clothes, toys, furniture with the intent that it would be used for the next baby. We had discussions about another baby, there was never a question on IF we would have another baby, just when. I just wasn't ready at that time and was thinking when our first was closer to two would be a better time to try. When that came around he just got used to having one, being out of the intense baby phase and didn't want to jinx the life we knew we had with our one child. I was having baby fever like crazy, not helped by the fact that my friends who had babies after me were having seconds (and even thirds!!!). Still took three years to have him come around.

Honestly although I would have liked my children closer, I think we will have a really good age spread between our kids. My first is going to school so this one will practically be an only during the day. I also didn't know that age three was going to be much worse for us than two so I'm glad we didn't have a newborn in the mix at the time. So in the end, it it all working out for the best for us. :)

No. Never really got any "fever" in the first place. We knew we would have some, someday, but we knew we needed to be in a good financial position, first. I got our finances in order, took DH on our last big vacation alone, and went off contraception before then (conception during travel would have made for a nice story, but it was not to be). Coincidentally, 5 of our female friends also had babies within a year of ours, so there was something of a "boom" going on in our social circle, but I can assure you that it never influenced me at all.

DH did it right the first time, so I don't have to bug him to try again. I'm undecided on whether we'll have another. He's pretty firmly in the "no" camp, but will do whatever I decide.

Didn't you discuss this before you got married? If DH told me he only wanted one, it might have been a deal breaker. He wanted two, but agreed to three, because I felt strongly about three (my parents had two, his had three).

Yes. After our 3 boys were born DH did not want anymore children and had the big V without my support. I wanted to adopt several years later, but DH would not even talk about it. He finally changed his mind after a couple of years and we went through IVF to conceive our 4th.

I love being a mom and I'll be honest, having 3 kids leave the house for college this month makes me want to have more kids. I'm not ready for the changes it will bring and that makes me panic and want another baby. Im 42 and sure it's probably peri menopause clouding my judgment.

Last edited:
No. Never really got any "fever" in the first place. We knew we would have some, someday, but we knew we needed to be in a good financial position, first. I got our finances in order, took DH on our last big vacation alone, and went off contraception before then (conception during travel would have made for a nice story, but it was not to be). Coincidentally, 5 of our female friends also had babies within a year of ours, so there was something of a "boom" going on in our social circle, but I can assure you that it never influenced me at all.

DH did it right the first time, so I don't have to bug him to try again. I'm undecided on whether we'll have another. He's pretty firmly in the "no" camp, but will do whatever I decide.

Sounds like you pretty much have everything under control.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter