Awesome time on the Disney Wonder/WDW - January 2009 UPDATED 1/31

Sweet new update!!! We have a Cat 5 room in a couple weeks on the Wonder. Do you remember what room you had? Did you notice the motion? Can't wait for more. :coffee:

Enjoying your report so far! To bad about all the lost items. Sorry to say that I'm glad we aren't the only ones who lose items.:scared: We've been there before. Can't wait for more!

Sweet new update!!! We have a Cat 5 room in a couple weeks on the Wonder. Do you remember what room you had? Did you notice the motion? Can't wait for more. :coffee:

We were in 7104, we were very happy with the location. Close to the elevators, and I didn't feel much motion at all.

Before I start Day 5, I forgot to mention that we were doing Fish Extenders! But since our stateroom had changed (we ended up right next to another FE participant - Hi Teri :wave2:), I had to put little notes in our FE bags that we handed out the first day. I didn't see a fish extender in 1 cabin, and I tried again that evening, but I never saw one. So I'm sorry 2081 that we never caught up with you!!! We truly enjoyed the FE trade though, it was so much fun putting little bags together and it was such a nice surprise to have treats in our FE. We did have very extravagant gifts from mdwings (very cool items - :cheer2:), so much so that DH wanted to go out and buy them more presents. We didn't have time for that though.

DAY 5, January 5 (2nd day of the cruise, Nassau day):

DS #2 and I woke up late, and DS #1 was already begging to go to Oceaneer's Club. So DH took DS #1 to breakfast and dropped him off at the Club while DS #2 and I took our time getting ready. DH came back and we went up to the buffet for breakfast. The line was REALLY long and it took at least 10 minutes to get through it. Food was standard breakfast food and it was okay.

We dropped off DS #2 at Flounder's, and he wasn't too happy about it. I wasn't really surprised, but we had an 11 am Rasul appointment, with DS #2 at Flounder's from 1030 to 1230. Since we had booked this cruise pretty late, I think I was lucky to get a Rasul appointment that coincided with Flounder's availability. The plan was that after lunch, DH would then go to Nassau, and DSs and I would relax enjoy the ship.

We got to the spa to check in for the Rasul, and I also asked about the 2 hour special in the navigator that day. It was a mini-back massage, mini-facial, scalp massage, and tropical rainforest time for $129 (or something like that, I'll look up the navigator later). We signed DH up for a late session (8 or 9 pm that night), and an early morning (8 am) session for me the following day. I was hesitant to book anything on Castaway Cay day, but I figured I'd be done in plenty of time to enjoy Castaway Cay. The spa attendant then showed us to the locker rooms, where we got into the robes (we wore our swimsuits underneath), and I asked for some slippers as I didn't want to bring my flip flops. I grabbed extra towels for, um, comfort, and the spa attendant told me there were towels in the Rasul already. I ignored her and brought them anyway (bring the extra towels!). I had brought some bottles of water based on trip reports that I had read, and I'm glad I did. There were 2 cups of ice water in there, but that wasn't enough.

The Rasul was fabulous and we'd definitely do it again. We kept the sauna door closed and that kept the shower/sitting room cool - this gave us a chance to go back and forth between the rooms when the sauna room got too hot. I loved that mud stuff, it made my skin SO soft. I used some of the facial stuff, which I won't do again though, as I was pretty pink the rest of the week (although that could've been a combination of sun exposure and all the facial products from the Rasul). I think that's enough elaboration on the Rasul, but let me just say this was a definite must-do on our next cruise.

We tried picking up DS #1 after the Rasul, but he had already eaten lunch and didn't want to hang out with us (we were starting to wonder what they gave those kids at Oceaneer's Club :rotfl2:). DS #2 was watching TV at Flounder's when we picked him up.

We took him to lunch at Tritons. Both DH and I had salad, then I had the roasted chicken and DH had the cheeseburger. DS #2 shared my chicken, and I ordered him a side of fries and fruit. For dessert, I had the banana cream pie and DH had the key lime pie. All food as usual was good, not exceptional.

We then went to pick up DS #1 and by this time, DH had convinced me to walk around Nassau a bit. Sigh. I don't know why I gave in (he and I both knew I would!) as I'm not really one to enjoy walking around cities such as Nassau.

This is us leaving the ship:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Nassau was okay, at least I can say I've been to Nassau! The kids didn't really enjoy it either, as we just walked around. DH bought a hat (since he'd lost the one he got at Epcot), and we headed back to the ship.

We took both kids to the splash area, as the Mickey pool was closed (they were cleaning it).

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

I wanted to go to the DVC members presentation for the freebies, and DH stayed with the kids at the splash area since the Navigator said that the DVC presentation was adults only. NOT. There were kids there, but I'm sure my kids would've been bored anyway.

I wonder how they know if someone's a member or not, as they just hand you a bag as you walk in. The bag had 4 bright red DVC hats and 2 DVC lanyards (oh and some other paperwork about prices, etc). Everyone also placed their names in a bag for a drawing. I really just attended for the freebies since as much as I'd love some BLT points, that's just not in the budget for a while. There were some pretty good incentives though, and I'd recommend going to the presentation. They talked up the RCI change quite a bit. Giveaways were small beach bags, passport holder, towels. The "big" prize was a $100 OBC which I didn't win. Funny story was that I won a passport holder, and the couple next to me won a small beach bag. And I said -- "oh that's what I wanted," and the wife said -- "that's what I wanted," and we said at the same time - "wanna trade" and everyone around us laughed. I love when things work out nicely.

Headed back to the room and it was time to get ready for formal (or "dress-up") night. We'd brought some dress-up clothes, as we don't get a chance to do nice pictures often. We got ready and DSs were adorable. We did pictures (I need to scan in our Shutters pics!):

One thing I noticed is that people during the later seating really got into things a lot more than the early seating diners. For both formal and pirate nights, hardly anyone was dressed up during early seating. When we walked by during late seating, there were quite a few people dressed accordingly.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Dinner tonight was at Triton's, nice place to have formal night, but as I said, most people during our seating just wore normal clothes (shorts even). I had the tomato soup as an appetizer, which I liked. I don't remember what appetizer DH had (I think it was some other type of soup) but I know he didn't like it. DH and I both had the beef, it was better than the Parrot Cay meal. For dessert I had the creme brulee and DH didn't want anything but Grace brought him some apple thing because he had ordered some apple schnapps. I liked both desserts, especially the creme brulee. I don't remember what DSs ate, probably some fruit and more kids meal stuff.

This was the evening that they were bringing DS #1's birthday cake, so I wanted to make sure that he hung around long enough for it. They sang to him and brought him a pretty cake. I don't know what's up with the grouchy face, as he really did enjoy his cake:

ry%3D400

When the birthday thing was over, DH took DS #1 to Oceaneer's Club again (more begging). Poor DS #2 - he was getting tired of DS #1 leaving him all the time LOL.

DS #2 and I went to Bingo, while DH got ready for his spa treatment (he was told to wear or bring swim shorts). They gave DS a Disney-Pixar calendar at bingo (I have it hanging on my wall at work), and I wish I had asked for another one because they had extras and it is a really nice calendar. Nope, didn't win anything, but I did learn how to play electronic bingo. Picked up DS #1 and we went to see Toy Story Musical (forgot to report that we also liked the Golden Mickeys show on the first night). We were right on time, as the cruise director was finishing up his spiel as we walked in to find seats. I found that if you are a little late, walk down on the right side of the theater toward the front and there are plenty of seats.

Toy Story was great, and all the stores right outside the theater were ready with their Toy Story displays. All the kids sounded the same - "can I have this? can I have that?" My kids weren't exceptions, they had most of the stuff in the store though. We did get some Buzz Lightyear gloves that they haven't played with since that night. I also bought a $10 tube of sunscreen because our sunscreen had spilled in the suitcase.

We headed back to the room and DH was already back! I guess the tropical rainforest room was closed so he didn't get to do that part of the treatment. DH thought it was just okay, he said the spa attendant he had didn't really do a firm massage.

We ordered room service (like we hadn't eaten enough already!) because room service is cool! We ordered 2 cheeseburgers (DH and DS #1), hotdog (DS #2), and the meat lasagna (me). We liked the cheeseburgers and hotdog, they were pretty standard. The lasgana was okay, I wouldn't order it again. It was very very saucy, and I don't know where the meat was :)

That was the end of our day, What's up next? My spa treatment, Castaway Cay, braids, and Pirate night

Another great update. Sounds like DS#1 liked the Oceaneer's Club a lot. Can't wait for more.

WOW, I am really impressed by all the work you did to put this together....it gives me a sense that I was really there in person...

Thank you for doing all this....

WOW, I am really impressed by all the work you did to put this together....it gives me a sense that I was really there in person...

Thank you for doing all this....

Thanks for the encouragement, it is fun to relive a little bit at a time as I write out each installment. Working on the next one now!

DAY 6, January 6 (3rd day of the cruise), Part 1: Castaway Cay:

Here's the day we were all looking forward to -- Castaway Cay!!! :cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

I had an 8 am spa appointment, so the plan was for DH and the boys to get breakfast and I'd meet them back in the cabin. My spa treatment was a little bit better than DH's but I was definitely expecting a little bit more (guess I shouldn't have for that $129 price!). It was about 15 minutes of a back massage, 15 minutes of a mini-facial (the spa attendant rubbing some stuff on my face -- more redness!), and then about 5 minutes of a scalp massage. She took me to the tropical rainforest room and brought me some muffins. And that was it! The treatment itself was fine, but OMG for 35 minutes of "treatment", DH and I could've done that for each other :rotfl2:. I was expecting at least an hour's worth of "treatment." I don't think we'll be doing spa treatments on a cruise again.

I spent about 10 minutes at the Tropical Rainforest room (all by myself) and headed back to the cabin. No point just sitting there when Castaway Cay was waiting!

I was back in the room a little after 9 am. We headed to Castaway Cay (almost forgot our IDs but our steward reminded us!) with our new DVC hats and my new DVC bag :thumbsup2 I had also borrowed a stroller from guest services the day before, so we wouldn't have to bring our own stroller to Nassau and Castaway Cay. I'm glad we did this, but there were also strollers at Castaway Cay for anyone who forgets. There was a little bit of a walk until you get to the strollers so I'm glad we had the stroller from the ship. Side note - guest services also had hair dryers but were out by the time I'd picked up the stroller. They said if you want one, you need to get one as soon as you embark.

We'd brought our own cheap beach toys from home so that I wouldn't have to worry about bringing them back with us (great choice - there was a Mom next to us constantly scrounging around for their beach toys that they'd paid $45 for!).

Instead of taking the tram, we walked to the family beach, we were really needing some exercise. Here's DS #1:

ry%3D400

I was hemming and hawing about getting some braids in my hair. I liked the idea, but I thought I was too old for it. It was so warm though, and I really wanted my hair out of my face, that I finally just decided to go for it. I had brought a comb, but the hair braider lady didn't use it, I think she used a pick. Anyway, not sure I'm ready to embarrass myself :rotfl: but here it is:

ry%3D400

It was $2 per braid and I guess I have a lot of hair :lmao:. So I paid $59 and gave her a $10 tip.

The water was COLD! DSs didn't care though:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Here's me and DH on dry land (DS #1's really getting better at taking pictures as we actually have pictures of me and DH on this trip!):

ry%3D400

We had lunch and it was good, as usual. We had burgers, hotdogs, ribs. But the fresh fruit was fabulous!

We explored a little bit. Here's the obligatory Castaway Cay picture:

ry%3D400

We had intended for DS #1 to hang out with us the whole day, but yes, you guessed it, he wanted to go to Oceaneer's Club. We walked over there to let him hang out with kids his own age for a while. His age group was at the other end, so DH walked him over there.

DS #2 was so tired by this time, so I walked him around in the stroller until he fell asleep. DH met back up with us, and we walked to the end of the family beach a couple of times, we ran into Peter the cruise director a few times.

We then went to pick up DS #1, and his age group wasn't there, and he WASN'T! I thought he might just be hiding or playing somewhere, and I couldn't find him and I told the counselors in his age group. They asked what he was wearing -- it was easy as he was the only one with a long-sleeved swim shirt. They asked if I was sure he was signed in, or if another adult was allowed to pick him up. I was about ready to PANIC! We looked for about 5 minutes, then they took me to the sign-up area to make sure he was signed in (as if he wouldn't be!). We went over there and the sign-in lady said, oh yeah I know your DS, I signed him in, are you sure he didn't go to the bathroom? OMG! Why couldn't those counselors have said that in the first place?! :confused3 They had looked just as panicked as I felt. Anyway, DS had been in the bathroom and he was back and playing by this time. Phew.

I hadn't had a grown-up drink in years, by circumstance and not really by choice. But it was 2 for 1 and I'd just had a harrowing experience, so DH and I got a couple of drinks. Here's me with a pina colada and DS #1:

ry%3D400

DS # 2 was STILL asleep:
ry%3D400

I sat on a beach chair :beach: while DH and DS #1 played in the water. Here's DS trying to be brave enough to do that rope thing:

ry%3D400

DS #2 slept forever this afternoon. He must've been exhausted, as he's usually a child that needs quiet and darkness to nap. DH and DS #1 were able to relax in a hammock while I hung out with sleeping DS #2.

When DS #2 finally woke up, we let the kids play in the water a little bit more, and started to head back to the ship around 3:45. Kids were exhausted, so I took them on the tram while DH walked back with the stroller. We met up right at the tram stop, and we walked back to the ship just in time to see Captain Hook boarding. We never saw him again though, characters weren't our priority since we figured we could see them at WDW.

What's up next? Part 2 -- Pirate night! pirate:

I am enjoying your report, you write very well. Thanks so much for sharing!!

Your braids came out great! Sorry about the lost items.

Did you eat on CC? If so was the food okay?

We did - we tried the cheeseburgers, hotdogs, ribs. As usual the food was okay, not great, but definitely satisfactory. All the fresh fruit was wonderful though.

I am enjoying your report, you write very well. Thanks so much for sharing!!

Your braids came out great! Sorry about the lost items.

Thanks for hanging in there with me. Writing the trip report helps with the Disney itch :rotfl2:

The Disney-Pixar calendars were the gift that DCL gave the kids on Christmas day. They must have been giving out the extras on later cruises. My kids did like them better than a stuffed animal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter