Awesome time on the Disney Wonder/WDW - January 2009 UPDATED 1/31

javaj

DIS Veteran
I read many trip reports before our cruise, so I thought I'd try to relive the vacation a little bit by trying to write one of my own. I hope this is the right place for a combined WDW and Disney cruise vacation trip report!

TRIP BACKGROUND:

This was kind of a last minute trip - we booked it in November 2008 when we were able to get a special rate for this sailing. I knew I wanted to do a few nights at WDW before and/or after the cruise (how could we go to FL and not go to WDW?!), so I had to make those plans quickly too.

Ideally, I wanted to spend 3 nights at WDW after the cruise. But DH was going to be on a business trip until 1/2, so instead of having him fly home then jump back on a plane the next day, I decided that he would meet us at WDW on 1/2. And I decided that since we were already spending 2 nights at WDW before the cruise, that 2 nights after would be enough, especially since I had to make non-DVC reservations due to lack of availability using points.

I made a Beach Club Standard Room Club Level reservation for 1/8 to 1/10, we'd never stayed there before and I wanted to be close to Epcot. I then made an Animal Kingdom Lodge reservation from 1/2 to 1/4. DS #2 is really into animals and we've never stayed at AKL. But when I started to look at Southwest flights from Denver to Orlando on 1/2, it was about $50 cheaper per person to fly out on 1/1 instead. But AKL wasn't available on 1/1, so I switched us to the Contemporary for 1/1 to 1/4.

I started looking into transportation to and from the port, and ultimately decided that I wanted to use DCL transfers. I didn't want to do one way rentals because I wanted to avoid car seats and having to drop off the car at Port Canaveral. We briefly considered a town car but it was going to cost more than DCL transfers. Next time we go, DS #2 will be older so a town car will end up being cheaper for us. And the appeal of the luggage transfer from the WDW resort to the stateroom was a big plus. But then I found out that DCL didn't pick up at the Contemporary! So I called again and found availability for a studio at AKV (non-DVC), switched to that. Then another week later, made our final change to the Wilderness Lodge Club Level, as I found a pretty good deal, spending about $35 more per night over the AKV studio. I had some people on the boards tell me that DCL did not pick up at WL, but DCL ensured me that they did (and they do!). Phew. Lots of changes, but that's half the fun, right?!

This was going to be a pretty brief trip to WDW, but that was okay with us since we have been on many (at least a dozen) WDW and DL vacations since 2003. There were 3 things that I wanted to do at WDW though: Make sure to do Splash on 1/3 (because it'd be closed after we got back from the cruise) and 1/2 was out as DH wouldn't be there yet to watch DS #2, watch Philharmagic, and ride Test Track. I all of those and always try to do them at least once per trip.

FINAL ITINERARY:

1/1 - Fly in from Denver to Orlando, check into the Wilderness Lodge
1/2 - DH flies in to Orlando
1/4 - DCL transfer to Port Canaveral
1/8 - DCL transfer to Beach Club
1/10 - Fly home :confused3

I guess this would be a good time to introduce the cast, DH, DS #1 and I have all been on 1 cruise before (Carnival - I know, I know but they were CHEAP!) when I was pregnant with DS #2 back in March 2006.

Me: 30-something Disney geek along with many other DIS-ers, need I say more?
DH: 30-something hubby of a Disney geek, basically enjoys Disney but would probably be thrilled with a non-Disney annual vacation. Sailor at heart.
DS #1: 6 yo, turned 7 in mid-January. Loves Disney but is getting to be a "big" kid and likes the more "mature kid" parts of Disney. Cruise/WDW is partially his Birthday gift
DS #2: 2.5 yo, loves Disney and doesn't remember his WDW trips (when he was 8 weeks, 8 months, and 1.5 yo) but loved Disneyland last October and November

Pre-trip:

We didn't tell the kids about the cruise/WDW until right before Christmas. It was supposed to be part of the Christmas surprise but DS #1 saw some cruise documentation out one day. I forgot he could read (well enough to figure out a cruise anyway)!!! So he asked me if the Christmas surprise was a cruise and I said oh darn it. So the cat was out of the bag about 5 days before Christmas, which actually made getting ready a wee bit easier.

Anyway, the holidays were SO hectic and packing did not happen as planned. I meant to take the Dec 25th through January 9th off from work, but ended up working from home a little bit between the 26th and 30th. Well, at least I rolled over about 1.5 extra days of vacation! I was able to get some door magnets printed up for the kids but I really procrastinated on getting everything else ready. I really just started packing the night of the 29th. We were supposed to drive up to Denver to a park and fly hotel on the 31st, and do a bit of shopping on the way, but I was still packing at 8 pm on the 31st, so I called them and asked if I could still park at their hotel and not actually stay there. I couldn't cancel since this was a pre-paid priceline reservation. They said yes so I decided we were just going to drive up at 445 am for an 820 am flight. Got the kids to bed, and got all our suitcases loaded up in the minivan by midnight. I was hoping to bring 2 or 3 suitcases max, but ended up with 4 plus DH was going to have 1 large suitcase from his business trip. Thank goodness for Magical Express!

DAY 1, PART 1: January 1st

It was surprisingly easy to get the kids ready at 430 am, we were in the van driving off by 455 am. We got to the Denver park and fly hotel ahead of schedule at 557 am. Shuttles departed on the hour and half hour, and the nice driver got us on the 6 am shuttle even though I had to stop by the front desk to get a parking permit. Did curbside check-in, and again the nice driver helped me get our bags to the curbside checkin. I had gotten A 16-18 boarding passes the morning before, so everything went smoothly. We were ready to go through security before 630, I don't think we've ever had that much time at the airport before a domestic flight before.

No lines at security, and it was really easy to go through security without a car seat! We picked up McDonald's and the kids ate at the little kids tables at the gate. Flight was uneventful, I brought DS #2's CARES restraint, and it worked SO much better than it did when we first tried it 14 months ago.

We got to Orlando EARLY! About 120 pm, just a little bit early - about 20 minutes. I love Southwest. MCO and check-in at the Magical Express counter was uneventful as well, I made sure to double check that they had DH arriving a day later, which they did. We waited for the bus for over 30 minutes though. Here's the kids waiting:

ry%3D400

Here are the kids on the bus:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

The bus dropped off at the Poly and GF first, so it was after 330 by the time we got to the WL. Here was our first mishap - I guess I was so excited to check-in that I forgot our sweatshirts on the bus. Reported it as soon as we got to the room, but nobody ever turned them in. I know, my fault for forgetting but I'm still disappointed nonetheless.

Advised bell services that we were checking in club level, and they directed us to the cartoons area. No lines at regular check-in at all but I suppose club level was busy as we waited about 15 minutes or so.

Our next mishap (and more costly one) was about to happen, but we didn't realize it happened until the next day. Here's a picture of the kiddos waiting, note the backpack, as this is the last time that we saw it.

ry%3D400

Here's DS #1 putting the backpack down in front of the rocking chair:

ry%3D400

The backpack (ready for this?) had DS #1's PSP, PSP games, digital camera (one of our old cameras but nice nonetheless), some toys (precious bakugans!) and stickers. We can't remember for sure if this is where we left it, as I think I vaguely remember hooking it on the stroller when the Club Level CM finally came to get us, but the backpack definitely never made it to our room. This is DS's and my fault together. He is primarily responsible for his stuff, but he's only 6 so I do take responsibility in monitoring him. I know we should've been more responsible but I am SO disappointed in whoever took it, especially as it was obviously a kids backpack (Star Wars with DS's name on it!).

I thought for sure it would turn up eventually, but no go. I checked with WL Lost and Found, Bell Services, Concierge, and I filled out their official yellow card, but no luck. I called Lost and Found again when we got home to make sure. Luckily DS's birthday was last week and he will be able to replace his PSP and a couple of games with his birthday money, especially since grandparents and aunts have sent extra $ to help his cause out. They just feel so bad for him because he really is such a sweet kid (and usually pretty responsible).

A little funny side-note story is that DH was sympathetic but was kind of upset with us for losing the sweatshirts and the backpack - well guess what? He lost his brand new hat from Epcot on the DCL bus on the way to the port, and he lost his glasses on the ship somewhere! So in terms of personal property, none of us really had a good trip.

But that's the last sob story of this trip report (well, unless you count all the times DS #2 kept tripping and falling :rotfl2:)!

Next: Day 1, Part 2, Wilderness Lodge and Magic Kingdom

DAY 1, Part 2: January 1st PM

Our room was great, got a room in the North wing with 2 queen beds and an awesome view of the castle. The kids loved the big flat-screen TV and the DVD player.

Here's a towel animal, welcome to the concierge floor letter, and a birthday card for DS #1:
ry%3D400

There was a bounceback offer in the room:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

The kids and I relaxed a bit in the room, then they played in the playground for a little bit.

ry%3D400

DS #2 watched the ducks in the pool (is it only me that's a little creeped out swimming with ducks?)

ry%3D400

We had a little snack at Roaring Fork at 430 (we totally should've waited for the 5 pm snacks in the lounge). We split a cheeseburger and kids chicken nuggets between the 3 of us. Food was okay, but I thought the bun tasted a little funny (is it whole wheat maybe?).

Checked out the lounge evening offerings and they were yummy! I fully intended for us to have dinner later that evening, but we filled up at the lounge. We had cheese and crackers, fruit, bread with tomato pesto spread (OH SO YUMMY), soup, and chicken with peppers and onions. Okay, so the kids weren't thrilled with chicken with peppers and onions, but I thought it was delicious. They were very happy with the rest of the food though.

We weren't sure whether we should head to the park, as I was sure it was going to be packed, but the kids were wide awake because of the 2 hour time difference, so we headed to Magic Kingdom. Not too many people in line for the boat.

Here's DS #1 on the boat:
ry%3D400

We were at the MK pretty quickly. Activated our DVC AP vouchers (for me and DS #1), no issues.

Let me go off on a little tangent. We purchased the DVC AP vouchers last year before prices went up, but this was originally planned for a longer trip last November which we ended up having to cancel due to DH's gall bladder removal. I knew that we'd feel pressured to go again in 2009 if we used our APs, but I didn't really want to shell out $700 for 4 or 5 day hopppers, so I thought we could go back in December (like my Disney math?!).

My Disney math actually gets a little more creative here - I always wanted to try BWV, and I thought we'd also bring some family members (to be identified at a later time) along with us. I wanted to try to get a standard BWV room, which would mean better chances if I could transfer some BWV points. Went on the Rent/Trade board to see if I could get a good deal on a BWV transfer, and I did! So today I made a BWV ressie at the 11 month window, and I used our own points to make a reservation for family members at SSR (just recently decided as my MIL, SIL, and niece, and even more recently a tentative addition as my FIL, his wife, and her grandson). I'll try to get them over (or waitlist) to BWV or BCV at the 7 month window in May.

So my Disney math not only got me a whole other trip, it got me to do a points transfer too!

Okay, off tangent, back to my trip report -- at the Magic Kindom, I knew we couldn't do much with the crowds, but figured we could just do some shopping and walk around. We did TTA, got Buzz Lightyear fastpasses (which we didn't use since we (well, we meaning me since the kids probably would've stayed if given a choice) didn't feel like sticking around late. We also did Pirates and did some shopping at the Pirates shop, where I discovered the awesome sale (can you see how the Disney math was churning in my head?) - t-shirts, baseball caps, and some other items were 40% off!!! Had to get some pirate t-shirts, and some pirate guns for the kiddos. They had each brought $70 of spending money, all from grandparents and godparents, and it was nice not having to budget for their souvenirs.

Took the boat back to the WL, luckily it was the bigger boat again so I didn't have to fold up the stroller. Had just enough time to get some desserts from the lounge (brownies, cookies - which were just okay, but hey they were free!) and take them back to the room to watch the fireworks. It was awesome watching Wishes from our balcony, such a wonderful view, but a little disappointing not to have the music piped in. When we stayed at the Contemporary (and the Grand Californian in DL), there was a channel where they piped in the fireworks music. It was still magical nonetheless.

Here's Wishes from our Balcony:
ry%3D400

We also called the concierge CMs to try to get our case of water ordered from Costco and to check for last minute availability at the Crystal Palace for lunch the next day (I wasn't planning on any table service meals until DH arrived but we changed our minds when we walked past CP). No availability but not surprising. Our case of water was supposed to be delivered right after we checked in but it never was, a concierge CM did deliver it at this time, and refused the $1 gratuity I tried to hand over. He just smiled and said "It's my pleasure." That's one thing I forgot to check before we left, if we were supposed to tip concierge CMs.

That's the end of Day 1. Next up: Will we get up early enough for Magic Kingdom EMH tomorrow?

great start. looking forward to reading more. :cool1: Sorry to hear about the lost items. I can't believe someone didn't turn them in.

great start. looking forward to reading more. :cool1: Sorry to hear about the lost items. I can't believe someone didn't turn them in.

Hey a reader! :thumbsup2 I was starting to wonder whether I should continue. I know, I'm still in disbelief over not getting DS's stuff back.

Day 2 coming right up!

DAY 2: Friday, January 2nd

It was EMH at Magic Kingdom, which means 8 am. We wanted to try to make that, since I knew it was going to be a busy day. We woke up a little later than planned, about 7 am (5 am back home!) and made it to the lounge by 725 am. We all had a little fruit, and quickly headed to the boat dock. We were walking toward the boat dock at around 740 when we saw the boat leaving. Sigh. Waited about 15 minutes and a small boat came (darn, I hate folding up the stroller for the boats!) but it was quick boat ride to Magic Kindom, I think we got there about 805. Good thing we had traded in our AP vouchers the night before! Headed straight for Peter Pan which was already a 10 minute wait at around 810 am. Did the Pooh ride and headed over to Buzz Lightyear. Bought DSs some really cute Buzz Lightyear shirts that we never would've gotten without the 40% off.

ry%3D400

Also watched the Monsters Inc show. DS #1 was bummed about not getting picked and not getting his joke used.

Kids got a cream cheese pretzel snack (which they love), and writing this reminds me to order some from Schwans. Anyone that loves those cream cheese pretzels, Schwans has some that taste exactly the same!

Here's where we were planning on seeing Philharmagic (one of 3 things I was trying to do), but we somehow got sidetracked to Toontown. We saw Mickey (can't believe we waited about 25 minutes! - is it me or do character lines take so much longer than they did about 5 years ago?).

ry%3D400

Then I let the kids play at the Toontown play areas. We then went to play in the Pooh playground. Yes ladies and gentlemen, my kids go to DisneyWorld to do exciting things like play on the playground and watch TV :rotfl2: Here are some examples:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Headed over to Tomorrowland Terrace to pick up some lunch. Completely forgot about the AP discount here :confused3 I got an orange chicken and kids had mac and cheese and nuggets kids meals. Thumbs up on the orange chicken.

ry%3D400

Kids meals were standard fare, but that small serving of mac and cheese was definitely a little too tiny for a growing almost-7 year old boy. He also had half his brother's chicken nuggets. And the chopsticks were used as pretend lightsabers. They're funny creatures, those boys. pirate:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Tried to do a little shopping as the Disney math in my head was screaming 40% off shirts, 40% off shirts. Can you believe I didn't find any shirts for myself???!!! There just aren't that many good quality, appealing-looking women's shirts, or is that just me? Lots of those flimsy material t-shirts don't seem worth it at all, and so many designs are SO loud. I may just be getting frumpy in my old age though LOL.

Headed over to the boat dock and waited about 10 minutes for a boat to the WL. I love the new boat route (well new to me as we hadn't stayed at WL in a couple of years) where I didn't have to worry about the boat going to FW first at certain times of day. Nice to know it just always went back and forth from the WL to MK.

ry%3D400

Next Post has Day 2, Part 2 as I've exceeded my image limit on this post!

DAY 2, Part 2: Friday, January 2nd

When we got back to the room, we had a little present - a sand pail with some snacks. What a cute little surprise.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

We rested a bit (no, kids didn't really rest much), then we went swimming. Water was FREEZING! I can't believe how cold it was, but we did get in for a bit and DS #1 really enjoyed the slide.

Went back to the room to try to get the kids to rest again (sigh, no luck again). Turndown service had been done (so early!):

ry%3D400

We went to the lounge and as with the previous night, had no intention of making it dinner - but it was! This time it was some sort of beef thing, which was even better than the chicken. They had my pesto spread again, I wish I knew how to make that!

Plan was to get to Spectro tonight, and get back to the room to watch Wishes from the balcony. Headed to Magic Kingdom and got there about 25 minutes prior to Spectro. Plopped ourselves down on the sidewalk in front of the main train station. DS #1 did some jump rope while waiting. DS #2 was surprisingly patient and just sat in his stroller watching everything.

ry%3D400

Kids LOVED Spectro. I don't think we've ever actually sat down and watched all of it before. DH isn't big into parades so we rarely schedule time for parades. We were going to head back to the hotel, but we ended up going with the crowd (why did we do that again?) and used a fast pass for Buzz from earlier in the day. Again, we meant to head back to the hotel, but got caught right in front of the castle. Crowds weren't moving and we had a stroller and nowhere to go, so we just stayed and watched Wishes, which was great as usual.

Fought the crowds to the exit and it was awful. I kept DS #1 in between me and the stroller so I could keep track of both DSs. Made it to the boat dock and there was a very LONG line for the Wilderness Lodge (just a couple of people for Ft Wilderness). Didn't make it on the first boat (small) but the big boat came about 15 minutes later. Boat pulled up to the dock around 956, and the cheapskate in me rushed us off the boat and through the first side door, through the 7th floor corridors, and at the lounge by exactly 10 pm. No go, lounge was already closed. One of the CMs felt bad
for us though, and brought us out a plate of cookies.

Went back to the room and the kids really wanted to wait up for Daddy, and what the heck we're on vacation, so I let them stay up. DH also waited a long time for the bus to leave (but he got to wait on the bus), and he had to go through 2 drop-offs before getting to the WL. He called us when the bus was pulling up and we went down to the lobby to meet him (kids in their PJs). We had dropped off a key at the front desk since I wasn't sure if the kids would be up when he arrived, so we had to pick that up first. They were working on taking down the large Christmas tree in the lobby, and it was kind of cool, but I wouldn't sit and watch the whole process like it seemed others were doing.

DH was exhausted but we all didn't get to sleep until after 1:30, so we planned on sleeping in and relaxing in the morning. What's up for tomorrow? A relaxing day at the World Showcase!

Your report is perfect. We have stayed at many of the DVC resort but we have our first ressie at VWL for Oct, 2009 and we are leaving on the Wonder in 3 weeks. Can't wait to read more.

Sounds like a great trip. Your boys are cuties!

Where are you at in CO?

Jill in Co

Oooh sorry for the delay, we just got back last night from a house hunting trip!

We are currently in Colorado Springs, but we are moving to NW Houston in March. I'll post an update tonight!

Good luck on the house hunting. Looking forward to the next update.

Oooh sorry for the delay, we just got back last night from a house hunting trip!

We are currently in Colorado Springs, but we are moving to NW Houston in March. I'll post an update tonight!

Why??? You do know that Houston is hot and humid! j/k Good luck on the move. ;)

Jill in CO

DAY 3, January 3rd:

DS #2 and I slept in, but DH and DS #1 were up quite early and had breakfast in the lounge. DH had jet lag from just getting back but I thought he'd be tired enough from his day of travel that he'd be able to rest.

Had about a 15 minute wait for the Epcot bus, and a stop at Ft Wilderness on the way. DH had to trade in his voucher for an AP when we got arrived, and DSs and I looked for our Leave a Legacy tile (which we never found). We had a Biergarten reservation, but neither DH nor I were in the mood for a big buffet lunch, so we skipped it. DH had just gotten back in from overseas and was actually happy to have chicken mcnuggets with the kids. I waited it out until France (my favorite counter service meal).

Stopped in England on the way:
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Here's half my quiche and half of my eclair from France (thumbs up as usual):

ry%3D400

Made the way around the world. Not too many pictures here as we just strolled and looked. Here are the kids playing the drums:

ry%3D400

We rode the Norway and Mexico rides and I really like what they've done with the Mexico ride. Guess we hadn't been on that in a while.

DS #2 was really ready for a nap by the time we got done, so I took the 2 DSs back to the bus stop while DH went back to Germany for a baseball cap (the one he lost on the DCL bus).

DS #2 was throwing a fit at the bus stop so I knew we'd done the bad parent thing having let the day go by LOL, but it happens to the best of us. He fell asleep on the bus though, so I was able to take DS #1 to Cub's Den to play while DS #2 slept in his stroller. Cub's Den still has free play time in the afternoons (I think it was from 2 to 4). DH met us at Cub's Den until it was time for them to close. Here are some Cub's Den pictures:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

We headed back to the room and DS #2 was still napping. DH was exhausted (jet lag, didn't sleep much from the previous evening) and fell asleep at 5 pm. DS #1 and I got some snacks from the lounge and brought them back to the room. Evening meal was sausage, which isn't one of my favorites, so I went to Roaring Fork and got the kids and myself some cheeseburgers and chicken nuggets. I also did some laundry, as DH had some laundry from his trip. DSs and I watched fireworks from the room again, beautiful way to end the day.

I stayed up and packed up, as we had received a voice mail instructing us to have our luggage ready for pick up by 9 am the next morning.

Next day: The Disney Wonder!!!

DAY 4, January 4th:

We weren't absolutely sure if we wanted to go to Magic Kingdom this morning. We wanted to, but we also wanted to sleep in. Sleep won out! DH was up early again due to jet lag, but DSs and I got some rest this morning.

We called Bell Services at 9 and they picked up our luggage promptly. This included a box of water from Costco - I like how Costco sends their case of water in a box, since we were able to seal the box back up even though we'd drank some of the bottles. I'd forgotten to bring packing tape but the club level CMs had some they let us use.

Grabbed some breakfast from the lounge, here are DSs watching TV in the kids area:

ry%3D400

We had a little while before DCL check-in - we were told to find the DCL rep in the lobby around 11. While DH did some last minute work in the room, I took DSs around the resort, to the playground, and to play in the VWL games area:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Finally it was time to find the DCL rep, and it was quite anticlimactic. I found him and he was this really nice man who checked us off the list and told us we were the only family being picked up from WL, and to come find him in about 30 minutes or so.

So we went to Roaring Fork and had a quick lunch. I had the pizza (quite good). DS #1 had chicken nuggets, DH had the cheeseburger, and DS #2 shared with us all. Found the DCL rep again, but we waited another 15 to 20 minutes before the DCL bus finally came (probably around 11:45 or so).

The bus was full except for about 2 rows in the back, and some single seats in some rows. The bus ride was pleasant, it took about an hour. DS #1 kept asking why the show wasn't starting, but it finally started about 20 minutes into the ride.

We got to the port and a DCL rep came on and asked if anyone hadn't checked in yet, and I was the only one who raised my hand. The rest of the people on the bus were on a package and were all checked in.

They let everyone off the bus and we all stood in line to get into the terminal. Unfortunately, there were some smokers out there and it was unpleasant to stand there right next to the smoking area. It took about 10 minutes, and we were past security.

DH took the kids to the cartoons area, and I went to check us all in. There were about 5 people in line ahead of me, but it went quickly. There was no wait in the Castaway Club line. Check-in was easy, I presented our passports and the CM said our room was ready (it was about 1:15). I asked if upgrades were available (we were on a special discounted rate, assigned a Cat 10) and she said there were quite a few, and for me to talk to the supervisor at one of the desks at the end after check-in. I got our keys and went over to the supervisor's desk, I was quoted upgrade rates based on our assigned Category. Oceanview was under $200 and a balcony was a little under $400 (I think - I can't seem to remember these exact amounts!). Anyway, I hemmed and hawed for a while, but ended up with a Cat 5 balcony on Deck 7.

We then checked in DS #1 at the kids club check-in (no wait), got a pager (these are the ancient style pagers!). Took some obligatory pictures, but DS #2 wasn't cooperating. Here's one of me and DSs:

ry%3D400

We headed in and did a quick pic (again, DS #2 was tired and not cooperating), and boarded the Wonder for the "welcome." It was a little uncomfortable, as I'm not one for this type of attention, I kinda wish we could skip this part. Headed to our cabin to check it out. I know the Disney Wonder rooms are larger than our Carnival cabin when we sailed on Carnival , but for some reason it felt smaller, maybe it is the way things were organized. Here are DSs all energized after getting to the room:

ry%3D400

Got the kids in their swim shorts, and headed up to the pool:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

DH grabbed some buffet food, and I got some hotdogs for DSs. We explored just a little bit, as we weren't sure what time to head back to the room for the drill. Headed back and I guess we still had another 30 minutes until the 4 pm drill. There was only 1 child vest, so I put on an adult one on DS #1. The child one was HUGE on DS #2. We didn't mention not having enough child vests but one of the CMs noticed during the drill, and gave us another child vest.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Went back to the cabin and I made everyone quickly go up to deck 10 with me as I wanted to get a good spot to watch the party. I knew the kids would be more into it from Deck 10 because they'd be able to see everything from above. It was completely empty when we got there, but people soon started to congregate.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

The party was fun, and listening to the ship's horn was as magical as I had imagined. I could listen to that thing over and over. We just couldn't wait long enough for the ship to set sail though, it was taking a long time. So we headed back to the room to watch the ship sail from there. It was a good thing we didn't wait, as I don't think we actually left until after 5:15 or maybe later.

Our luggage still hadn't made it to our room, despite having informed our steward earlier that we had moved cabins. We headed to dinner anyway, as I assumed casual was definitely okay for Parrot Cay. We went to dinner in our shorts (well I had on a denim skirt) and t-shirts, but most people were dressed the same when we got there.

We got to dinner about 5:55, as we had waited for our luggage a bit. We were seated at a table for 8, with 2 high chairs. Our table mates weren't there yet. We had Grace as our server, and Suzanna (I'm sure she didn't spell her name that way) as the assistant server. Both were great, although on the first night, the "friendliness" seemed really forced. We got the "excellent service" spiel on the first night, and there always seemed to be a memorized spiel on entrees, etc every night. I mentioned that we would like our dinners to be at a faster pace, and Grace remembered that and tried to do this for us every night.

I ordered the onion soup for an appetizer, not sure what DH got. Our table mates came as we were finishing up our appetizers. They were a very nice family from South Carolina, it was a little girl about the same age as DS #2, her Mom, and 2 grandmothers. Turned out that they were on the same discounted rate we were, and had been originally assigned a Cat 10 also, but they had called and were able to get a Cat 9 at no extra cost. I'm jealous, I should've tried that too!!!

Anyway, I ordered the rib-eye and DH had the sirloin, both were good. We had the Creme Brulee Cheesecake and the Lemon Meringue Pie for dessert, both were good too. I wasn't overly impressed with all the food on DCL, nothing was exceptional, but everything was definitely satisfactory. DSs had some standard fare kids meals this evening, pizza and chicken, neither of them liked those too much. DS #1 didn't even make it to dessert though as he was begging to go to the kids club throughout the meal. DH took him while DS #2 and I waited for the desserts.

After dinner, we headed back to the room and our luggage was finally there. There was also a towel animal (swan? DSs thought it was a snake though) waiting for us. The chocolate mints at turndown were the same as at the Wilderness Lodge. These were a mix of milk and dark chocolate mints, we especially didn't like the dark chocolate ones. I wish they were just plain old chocolate coins like during Pirate night.

ry%3D400

Here's DS #2 on the top bunk (no he didn't sleep there):

ry%3D400

DH then took DS #2 to Flounders while I unpacked. We were going to do bingo, but we were too late so we just enjoyed our no-kids time for a little bit. Picked up the kids around 9 who'd had a good time and that was the end of our first day on the Wonder.

What's up next? Rasul, Nassau, and formal night!

Why??? You do know that Houston is hot and humid! j/k Good luck on the move. ;)

Believe me, I know it!!! I'd really rather stay here....but we do what we have to do.

We've been trying to sell our house in Colorado for a LONG time and we are finally under contract. DH's job is actually based in Houston (has been for 2 years) but we've been getting away with continuing to live here in Colorado because he works overseas a lot anyway.

We didn't want 2 mortgages, and now that our house is almost sold (won't really believe it until it happens), my work will let me move to TX and mostly work from home (I'll have a desk at one of the Houston facilities). Most of the people I actually work with aren't in Colorado anyway so I guess it wasn't too much of a concession :rotfl2:

Believe me, I know it!!! I'd really rather stay here....but we do what we have to do.

We've been trying to sell our house in Colorado for a LONG time and we are finally under contract. DH's job is actually based in Houston (has been for 2 years) but we've been getting away with continuing to live here in Colorado because he works overseas a lot anyway.

We didn't want 2 mortgages, and now that our house is almost sold (won't really believe it until it happens), my work will let me move to TX and mostly work from home (I'll have a desk at one of the Houston facilities). Most of the people I actually work with aren't in Colorado anyway so I guess it wasn't too much of a concession :rotfl2:

I totally understand. My house in Kansas City has been on the market since the first of June last year. I escaped my old company between layoffs and found a new job here and moved in August.

Congrats on selling the house! Send some of that house pixie dust to me. :) Good luck on the move.

Jill in CO

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter