avoiding toll roads

grodgers49

Mouseketeer
It seems I have heard that there is a way to get from MCO to WDW without going on the toll roads. How do the routes compare time wise?

It seems I have heard that there is a way to get from MCO to WDW without going on the toll roads. How do the routes compare time wise?

You can see by using online maps, or at least you can with Bing. Set up directions from MCO to your hotel, then select "See Options" on the left, then select "Avoid Toll Roads".

Looking at one representative route to Downtown Disney, it's 20 minutes via the toll roads or 30 minutes via the alternate route. I think that's a little off; I've driven most of those roads and they're mostly surface streets with traffic lights. I think it would be more likely to be 40-50 minutes unless it was late at night. During rush hour, it would be even worse, because the alternate route puts you on I-4, which is terrible at rush hour. The toll route will slow down, but it isn't quite as bad (probably because there's a toll).

So I'd say the alternate route adds maybe 20-30 minutes, worst case scenario. It might only add 10 minutes in the best case.

Considering the hundreds to thousands we all spend on a Disney vacation I just don't see how the time and effort to avoid tolls is worth $2.50. On the 417 2 tolls of $1.25 each amounts to nothing in a vacation's cost.

This route is a compromise since it does not get around all of the tolls.
Using I-4 should not be too bad if it is not the evening rush hour.

Leaving the airport north exit, go left at the first light.
pix3\beeline2.jpg

Although there several routes that allow you to avoid the two tolls on 417 or the two tolls on 528, there are not fast, convenient routes for doing so.

The best toll-free option is probably to use the airport's north exit (without getting onto 528) and to have your GPS direct you to WDW by way of Sand Lake Road (482) and Interstate-4.

I don't think the extra time and distance are worth it just to save a couple of bucks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter