Average savings from disney dining plan

lkool

Earning My Ears
On average when paying full price for the disney dining plan how much does money does it save? We used it last time and liked it for ease of use and budget but its hard to say how much we actually saved, I should have tracked it wen we were there.

Anyways I am wondering if the savings are more than 10% because on our next visit I am thinking it might make more sense to take advantage of the 10% off of dining that I get from the disney premiere card.

Thoughts?

On average when paying full price for the disney dining plan how much does money does it save? We used it last time and liked it for ease of use and budget but its hard to say how much we actually saved, I should have tracked it wen we were there. Anyways I am wondering if the savings are more than 10% because on our next visit I am thinking it might make more sense to take advantage of the 10% off of dining that I get from the disney premiere card. Thoughts?

I took hours to figure this out. I went over menus and prices and figured out average meals for our family of 4 on our 6 night trip. We are saving $220 by using the DDP compared to paying OOP.

But of course each family is different and results will vary.

I'm wondering the same thing about the benefit of the Dining plan. We're going in April, family of 4, staying 6 nights (but only 5 days at parks). So far we've got reservations for Biergarten lunch, Chef Mickey's dinner, Ohana dinner, Be Our Guest dinner, and lunch at Sci Fi Dine I Theater. I'm leaning towards not getting the dining plan. I'm open to advice. Thanks.

I'm wondering the same thing about the benefit of the Dining plan. We're going in April, family of 4, staying 6 nights (but only 5 days at parks). So far we've got reservations for Biergarten lunch, Chef Mickey's dinner, Ohana dinner, Be Our Guest dinner, and lunch at Sci Fi Dine I Theater. I'm leaning towards not getting the dining plan. I'm open to advice. Thanks.

Well I don't think you can get a dining plan for less days than you are staying at resort, but check on that, because that would factor into your decision.

I love the plan, and would not vacation without it, unless I could save substantial money. If you have a disney premiere visa you get 10% off dining, but It's hard to say if that is a better deal than the plan.

The plan miakes life way easier, because you standing in a quick service line or sitting at a table looking at a menu with hungry kids and a hungry wife while your trying to determine what meals you can order and still stay within you budget. Also, it's paid for before you even get on the airplane so you don't need to think about it at all.

It all depends on how you want to eat. If everyone in your party wants their own dessert at every meal and everyone drinks soda/coffee/tea, then you can save on the DDP. How much still depends on what you order.

For a rough breakdown, the TS credit is worth $37.50, the QS $17.50, and the snack $4. This doesn't take into account the free refillable mug as that needs more math than I can do. I see that as a free souvenir as we find it difficult to use it while there since we eat most of our meals in the parks.

We paid out of pocket in Sept, eating how we wanted. In retrospect we would have shared more meals. Unless you are really big eaters, or have several kids, the dining plan doesn't work out. At 18 bucks per kid it's great if you have 2.5 kids per adult. In my house with 2 adults and one kid and pretty light eaters, there's just no way it makes sense.

You also have to add in the fact that your tip increases when you add on dessert/drinks for each person if you don't normally eat like that. (We don't.)

DDP does not save us money.

By the way, what's this 10% off with the Disney Premiere Visa thing?

You also have to add in the fact that your tip increases when you add on dessert/drinks for each person if you don't normally eat like that. (We don't.)

DDP does not save us money.

By the way, what's this 10% off with the Disney Premiere Visa thing?

It's the Disney Premiere Card from chase. It's helpful at the parks because you get 10% off on most merchandise and special character greetings. You also get 10% off dining at some restaurants.

I was looking into the Dining Plan but will probably skip it. Seems like you can easily lose money. I really don't understand why they include a dessert for everyone in the group at lunch and dinner. That is 8 desserts for our family of 4 per day. Does Disney really want us to gain weight? That is way too much food in my opinion.

It would cost me more money if I did it.

My issue is kids that eat like kids but Disney thinks they are adults.

Plus I don't need soda and dessert every meal.

And several places I want to go are not on the plan.

DDP costs more for us than OOP since there is no plan that fits the way that we eat.

I took hours to figure this out. I went over menus and prices and figured out average meals for our family of 4 on our 6 night trip. We are saving $220 by using the DDP compared to paying OOP.

But of course each family is different and results will vary.

That is about what we saved when we were there on the DDP. For me, moreso than the cost it was knowning that everyone could order what they wanted and I wouldn't "worry" about the cost.

It's the Disney Premiere Card from chase. It's helpful at the parks because you get 10% off on most merchandise and special character greetings. You also get 10% off dining at some restaurants.

I have the card. Can you tell me what restaurants participate?

I agree that it is different for each family and their eating styles. For us it is a savings if only for the fact of he ease of use. I love the convenience of it and already having it paid for when I arrive.

I'm so on the fence about the dining plan. I agree, I know we wouldn't get a dessert with every meal if we are paying OOP. I've tried plugging in numbers and it is just taking me forever! Right now, I'm thinking it might be better to just pay OOP.

Forgot- one thing I am wondering. One of my children just turns 10 later this month-- of course, being 10 when we go I would have to pay for the adult prices for the dining plan. If I pay OOP would I be able to tell them he's just 9- like for buffet prices? I'm sure he could order off the kid's menu, no problem!

You have to figure out for yourself what your savings might be, because it is extremely dependent on the makeup of your party and how you will be using it. You'd need to add up where you would go and what you would order if you had the dining plan and compare it to where you would go and what you would order if you didn't have the dining plan.

You must also decide if you are looking at it from a strict monetary standpoint, or if the "convenience" of having your meals prepaid may make up part of the value for you.

If I pay OOP would I be able to tell them he's just 9- like for buffet prices? I'm sure he could order off the kid's menu, no problem!

This board is not going to suggest that you lie about your child's age to prevent paying adult buffet prices for him. Disney's rule is that if he is 10, he pays adult buffet prices.

Yes, in most places (non-buffet or AYCE) you should be able to order a kids' meal.

What if you go to a restaurant and you're not using the dining plan? Do they still say if you are 10 and up you still have to order off the adult menu? I'm not talking about a buffet, just a regular menu? Just looking at some of the menus, I know my youngest wouldn't even eat some of the adult meals. He's more of a chicken nugget and fries kinda guy! :) He certainly won't eat (or appreciate) a $40 filet :lmao:

We have used the QSDP once and the DDp once and only used them because they were free.

You can eat much cheaper paying OOP.

The TS credit is worth 37.50. Most entrees I order at TS places are $20 or less. We do not eat dessert with our meals. We do not use the snacks.

I can eat 3 meals a day cheaper than what the DDp costs.

Example: CS breakfast $8
CS lunch $11
TS dinner $25

That's $44 paying OOP. The DDp is around $58 per person. So I got 3 meals and saved $14 by paying OOP.

Even if I would have had a $4 dessert at lunch and a $6 dessert st dinner I still would have paid for 3 meals and 2 desserts for less than what 2 meals with the DDp cost.

What if you go to a restaurant and you're not using the dining plan? Do they still say if you are 10 and up you still have to order off the adult menu? I'm not talking about a buffet, just a regular menu? Just looking at some of the menus, I know my youngest wouldn't even eat some of the adult meals. He's more of a chicken nugget and fries kinda guy! :) He certainly won't eat (or appreciate) a $40 filet :lmao:

In most restaurants that are not buffet or AYCE you should be able to order a child's meal for him.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter