Discussion in 'Disney Rumors and News' started by Buffalo2Disney, Sep 5, 2012.

1. granmanh603

granmanh603 DIS Veteran

Boy do I agree, I could never understand the hype??? when I wiggle in my seat and look at the time I know it was not a good movie...and when I heard Avatar land at Disney...WHAT were they thinking... this is great news...hope it gets cancelled...:cheer2:

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. MJMcBride

MJMcBride Barely lost is barely found

please come back Beastly Kingdomme

4. donaldduck1967

donaldduck1967 DIS Veteran

And if you've seen Dances with Wolves, you've seen Pocahontas and Avatar.

5. 2DisPrincesses

2DisPrincesses DIS Veteran

6. granmanh603

granmanh603 DIS Veteran

Oh that is too funny but sooooo right!!!!:rotfl2:

7. BEANTOWNDR7

BEANTOWNDR7 To Infinity and Beyond

Thank God; Don't ruin AK - its one of the most overrated films ever

8. ToddS

ToddS Mouseketeer

Death to AvatarLand. Long live Beastly Kingdomme.

9. granmanh603

granmanh603 DIS Veteran

Wow glad to hear, I thought I was the only one who thought that especially about the movie...

10. MJMcBride

There is very little chance of it

my vote is for Australia

11. Dreamer7787

Dreamer7787 Mouseketeer

Yes!!

12. DanBoris

DanBoris DIS Veteran

Jay Rasulo at the 2012 Media, Communications & Entertainment Conference 9/13/2012:

"Avatar is coming for Walt Disney World" in "15-16" and will be funded out of the normal capital expenditure profile.

http://www.veracast.com/baml/media2012/main/player.cfm?eventName=2041_thewal

Make of it what you will.

This is my big problem with people who want to see the Avatarland project canceled, they seem to think if it is, it will immediately be replaced by something better. There are no guarantee of that.

13. twebber55

twebber55 DIS Veteran

i agree dan...BK is not coming because it would have already been built...how about we give pandora a chance before we rip it

14. MJMcBride

It was already built at Islands of Adventure

15. mjc2003

mjc2003 DIS Veteran

Bingo.

I personally liked the movie, but this wasn't about replicating the movie; this is about encapsulating the vision of Cameron, and the visually stunning world he created. Whether you liked the movie or not is sort of irrelevant, because there is little doubt that this endeavor would have utilized cutting edge technology, intriguing if not captivating rides, and would, simply put, be another option. For those of us that go annually, I welcome anything new. Now that this has been put on hold there is absolutely no guarantee that something will replace it, and if it does that means we will wait even longer than the initially proposed 2015. So everybody who is so thankful that this concept has been shelved can rest easy knowing that in a few years they can visit AK and there will be....nothing new. Why is that so exciting?

I think it's fairly obvious that Disney Imagineering latched onto Avatar BECAUSE of Harry Potter and the success that it has brought to Universal. While Avatar is not a franchise ala Harry Potter (yet), there are at least 2 (rumored to be 3) more movies coming and there is a solid consensus that this will become a mega-franchise that will rake in billions. With a "B". And while many here seem to kick the original to the curb, it only earned just north of $760,000,000, which happens to be the highest grossing US film EVER (the highest grossing Harry Potter film barely grossed half of that number). So there is no arguing that the film has a cult following, was tremendously successful and would be a major draw.

Fact: AvatarLand (or whatever they call it) would be a MAJOR draw. I would not assume that this is a dead issue. WDW has lost some market to Universal, and they are not going to sit tight.

Finally, for those who think that movie based attractions cannot be enjoyable or successful unless they are tied to a great film, look no further than Splash Mountain, a ride based on a racist, thoroughly pedestrian film.

To the original point, I guess what I'm saying is that we should not be so quick to dismiss AvatarLand, b/c in it's place we'll probably end up with nothing. And as my grandpa always told me, "something is usually better than nothing!"

16. super mike b

super mike b DIS Veteran

I really don't see that as a fact. I lot of people really didn't think much of this movie. To them it would have zero draw.

I really don't understand why Disney doesn't do something more with the Lion King in AK.

17. Hoopfamily

Hoopfamily We're 3 Caballeros, We're 3 Caballeros, They say w

I HATED Avatar. I hope they decide to scrap it. If they want to do a single ride I'd be okay with that and would even probably ride it even though I HATED Avatar. Btw did I mention I HATED Avatar.

18. ASteelersMidget

ASteelersMidget DIS Veteran

You're not the only one, but it is the highest grossing film of all time. :sick:

The issue is everyone is focusing on the MOVIE and how they dislike it so much. The fact is that it could be a land based on the color white. If it has good quality attractions than that trumps anything else.

Avatar Land is still a go and personally as much as I HATE the movie I will refrain from making any opinion (other than I hate the movie) until I see concrete plans of what kind of attractions are actually coming to avatar Land

19. Violet Parr

Violet Parr DIS Veteran

I LOVE this idea!

VP

20. MJMcBride

Australia

Eucalyptus Forest with koalas and tree kangaroos

Crocodile Falls log flume

Nemo Stage show

21. tentaguasu

tentaguasu Mouseketeer

Loved the Avatar movie. Yep, loved it.

Would welcome AvatarLand, though would probably like Australia more (just cause I like the natural, real-world look and feel of Animal Kingdom.)

That is all.