DPCummerbund

DIS Veteran
I've always heard that Disco Yeti won't be fixed because it's the headline attraction at AK, & there just isn't enough to do there with Expedition Everest closed. If Avatarland opens, Disney could close Expedition Everest without much fanfare & finally fix the yeti. Even better, they could fix it sooner rather than later, so that when crowds actually start showing up at AK, the yeti is already fixed. Thoughts?

If ever there was a time to fix the yeti, it'd be the first 6 months after avatarland opened. They should absolutely take that opportunity.

I doubt it as much as I want to see the yeti fix. A lot of people you go to AK don't know the yeti isn't working. From what I understand is that it would involve take apart most of the mountain which would cost a lot of money

As much as I'd like to see the Yeti working I just can't imagine Disney (or any company) closing one of their headline attractions unless it was absolutely necessary for safety or major maintenance. I've seen interviews that lead me to believe a good part of the mountain would have to be disassembled just to access the Yeti, not only does that sound incredibly time consuming but also incredibly expensive.

BTMRR at Disneyland has been closed for over a year for a refurb so it does happen but BTMRR is also 30+ years old whereas EE is only 7 years old. I'm sure at some point the Yeti will be fixed but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't happen for another 20 years when EE is finally due for a major refurb.

At the risk of sounding like a total idiot...what's wrong with the Yeti? I am assuming it's the one at the end of the Everest ride??

At the risk of sounding like a total idiot...what's wrong with the Yeti? I am assuming it's the one at the end of the Everest ride??

He (she?) is one of the largest moving animatronics Disney has built but the movement was breaking his foundation so they turned him off and he hasn't moved in years, although it's rumored he's still fully functional and turned on occasionally when an Executive or Joe Rohde are riding and request it. He's now called Disco Yeti because Disney put strobe lights on him after they turned off his movement.

unfortunately, I doubt they will ever fix Betty. They haven't fixed the pterodactyl or the compys in Dinosaur, and would think they are an easy fix. I think most people have forgotten how awesome the yeti was, or never saw her in her glory day (note singular) so they never knew something was missing. What... 2 years of operation? probably not even. I think more like 1.5. Avatar land will take the focus completely off of the fact she is broken, and there will be no reason to fix. I don't want this to be true, but I think it is.

As posted above this comment is the reason. How many people here post on broken yeti threads that they swear on their grandmother's grave that they road it last Thursday and the yeti swooped down and nearly took their head off. Aka it moved.

They don't need to fix it to keep packing them in.

As posted above this comment is the reason. How many people here post on broken yeti threads that they swear on their grandmother's grave that they road it last Thursday and the yeti swooped down and nearly took their head off. Aka it moved.

I suspect this is right on the money.... :sad1:

Rohde said that he was going to fix it eventually. I'm guessing he meant after Avatarland opened.

I'm now freaked out.

Something about broken amusement park rides creep me out. I've got megalophopia or something lol.

The idea of a giant broken animatronic Yeti that has shaken its foundation loose and therefore is essentially abandonned and not moving. :crazy2:

This is a very valid point, but lit leads to another question:

If rides don't need to have functioning multi-million dollar audioanimatronics in order to "pack them in", why does Disney bother building the mulit-million dollar audioanimatronics in the first place? If a statue and a strobe light look the same, why spend the extra money?

I'm now freaked out.

Something about broken amusement park rides creep me out. I've got megalophopia or something lol.

The idea of a giant broken animatronic Yeti that has shaken its foundation loose and therefore is essentially abandonned and not moving. :crazy2:

Technically the ride is still 100% functional but the Yeti movement was damaging his foundation and eventually the movement could have broken it. He was turned off as a precaution, not because anything was actually broken.

No need to worry.

I just got back and can say with 100% certainty, that the Yeti was moving...nowhere.

I've never seen the in action in real life but I've seen it on video enough to know the difference. If was definitely stationary but it does seem like it's leaning down further than it used to.

Y'all leave betty alone.... I actually saw her move.... It was awesome!!! Please fix poor beti I mean yeti...

~Disney is not going to fix this bear. The Yeti's swinging of arm portion lasts all of 2 nanoseconds and it appears to be swinging anyway. It wasn't until several years later on this board that I discovered it was the B-Mode Betty. It's just not considered to be a significant aspect of the coaster anymore.

~Also, Pandora is going to attract massive crowds, so all rides will need to be online.
:cool1:

unfortunately, I doubt they will ever fix Betty. They haven't fixed the pterodactyl or the compys in Dinosaur, and would think they are an easy fix. I think most people have forgotten how awesome the yeti was, or never saw her in her glory day (note singular) so they never knew something was missing. What... 2 years of operation? probably not even. I think more like 1.5. Avatar land will take the focus completely off of the fact she is broken, and there will be no reason to fix. I don't want this to be true, but I think it is.
:thumbsup2

It's just not considered to be a significant aspect of the coaster anymore.

Gotta agree with this. Before I took the red pill and found out about all this stuff here on the Disboards, I have to say the Yeti is not something I ever noticed was broken. When I read on this thread that it was broken, I had to look up youtube videos to be able to tell the difference.

Also, I have seen Yeti construction videos. I know how the moving Yeti is supposed to be THE thing of the ride, and how much effort they put into it, and how awesome it is.... I never felt that way. It's something you see for like less than a second. You can't see the detail in the dark or at the speed you're going. I think for most guests, seeing the Yeti projections and the broken tracks are the highlight of the ride, not the Yeti. Honestly, if the Yeti wasn't even there, I wouldn't really complain. It's not a significant part of the ride for most.

Gotta agree with this. Before I took the red pill and found out about all this stuff here on the Disboards, I have to say the Yeti is not something I ever noticed was broken. When I read on this thread that it was broken, I had to look up youtube videos to be able to tell the difference.

Also, I have seen Yeti construction videos. I know how the moving Yeti is supposed to be THE thing of the ride, and how much effort they put into it, and how awesome it is.... I never felt that way. It's something you see for like less than a second. You can't see the detail in the dark or at the speed you're going. I think for most guests, seeing the Yeti projections and the broken tracks are the highlight of the ride, not the Yeti. Honestly, if the Yeti wasn't even there, I wouldn't really complain. It's not a significant part of the ride for most.

It probably isn't to most due to the fact that they have never experienced it when it was working. For the ones who have, it changes the ride from an experience to just another ride. The cave was lit quite well, and the track gives a strong illusion that you are going to crash into the wall. Can't see that in the dark or on a video.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter