• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Avatar-land coming to DAK-just hit the Orlando Sentinel

I thought this was an April Fools joke, but it's not April....hmm....

Really? Avatar? Come on, there are many better choices out there.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jim-hill/avatar-park_b_973615.html An interesting article on the new deal from everybody's favorite, Jim Hill.

What I find interesting is the mention that WDI was most intrigued by things like the creatures of Pandora and the world of Pandora after dark. They also mentioned the possible use of technologies such as projections and holography to help bring the world to life.

That got me to thinking.... Imagine how awesome and immersive the new land could be if they integrated the same tech used to bring us the Magic Memories and Me Castle show at the MK into this new land to create the atmosphere of Pandora at night. :goodvibes:goodvibes

I thought this was an April Fools joke, but it's not April....hmm....

Really? Avatar? Come on, there are many better choices out there.

My thoughts exactly! While I usually enjoy hearing about anything new coming to the parks, I just don't understand this at all. :confused3

... But... Disney is so great with the "dark rides". It can be a crazy hot and bright day outside and the crowds can love the coolness and dark of the attraction. :lovestruc

So they would make an outdoor world an inside attraction at Animal Kingdom? That would kinda defeat the purpose of putting it there wouldn't it?

So they would make an outdoor world an inside attraction at Animal Kingdom? That would kinda defeat the purpose of putting it there wouldn't it?

mmm, not imo. you can do indoorsy things that are natural world related very nicely and we visit things like that all the time at home. the franklin park conservatory here has lots of lovely indoor gardens. we often go when they have the butterflies each year. At the Columbus zoo, we love the manatees, the big aquarium building, the nocturnal house, etc.

A love of the outdoors or of animals or of the natural world can also extend in many directions other than just experiencing the type of outdoorsy thing they have there. Oooh when I was a kid I remember getting just as excited about the Natural History Museum as much as the living pandas at the National zoo.

It seems to me like not being able to move outside of the scope of a safari/outdoor zoo theme has really limited AK unnecessarily, hence the constant stream of people citing the need to give something new to AK.

But I do admit I'd be just as happy if they moved all this to DHS and did something totally different to improve AK

I'm not saying people who don't like what I like are stupid and ignorant. That was a saying I've always been told since I've been little. If everyone liked the same things, this world would be boring. It's in the same context of people who don't like a certain race/culture because they don't understand them/it. It's in the same context who won't give someone a chance because they have tattoos all over them so people assume that they're mean and bad. These are not my own opinions, but stereotypes from all around. It is known that when people don't like something..don't like change..the first thing they do is complain and buck about it. I've done it and then once I've gotten to know someone or tried whatever it was, I either liked them/it or I didn't.

All I'm saying is that people need to give something a chance before try start bashing it and saying that it won't work especially when it hasn't even been created yet or shown yet. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and I can appreciate that. But sometimes, we humans, tend to complain a bit too much before understanding something we don't know about and that is new to us.

I don't know that I would put not being thrilled about Avatarland into the same category as stereotyping people or not liking certain races or cultures. I also don't think there is anything wrong with giving an opinion about a purposed project at an theme park that you aren't interested in. Several people have commented that they saw the movie, but aren't wild about Disney making a "land" out of the premise. Wouldn't it be funny if we all kept out opinions to ourselves and then no one showed up at Avatarland and Disney said "Well, why didn't anybody tell us they didn't like the idea?"

Wouldn't it be funny if we all kept out opinions to ourselves and then no one showed up at Avatarland and Disney said "Well, why didn't anybody tell us they didn't like the idea?"

Have you even read the comments that have been posting here today? I've been watching them scroll all day. (This is not necessarily directed at you so don't blow up) Expressing a dislike for the idea is one thing, but some of the comments here have been downright brutal against Disney and some have been a little more contained but still with an air of arrogance that they know for a fact that the land will fail and that Disney was stupid for going with this idea. How about everyone just ease up a little and accept the fact that you A- don't have a degree in engineering and B- do not work for Disney in Imagineering? How many of us that have posted that we like this idea have gone to the level of extremes that the nay sayers have and said that Disney Imagineers are geniuses for coming up with such a ground shaking, Earth shattering, life changing idea? None. But those that do not like this idea have certainly taken it to the other extreme saying that Disney is making a huge debacle of this and a mistake that could cost the company tons of revenue and visitors and even may ruin the park forever.

How about we forget about the movie and just look at this new addition in a fresh light. Then, in 5 years, we see how the land works out? If Disney majorly fouls this up then the glass half empty people can scream all they want and say "I told you so!". But.... if this has even half the impact that WWoHP had then it will be a win for Disney. The one idea that I get from everyone complaining here today has been "They aren't doing what I want them to do!!"

Btw, the pp that mentioned the Lord of the Rings as an alternative. Wow. Nice one. That would have been a better choice especially since Peter Jackson has started the next two movies in that franchise. Nice. But Disney went with Avatar. We can see it with an open mind and see if the idea comes to a great and wonderful culmination or we can sit around festering over it for the next 5 years.

Have you even read the comments that have been posting here today? I've been watching them scroll all day. (This is not necessarily directed at you so don't blow up) Expressing a dislike for the idea is one thing, but some of the comments here have been downright brutal against Disney and some have been a little more contained but still with an air of arrogance that they know for a fact that the land will fail and that Disney was stupid for going with this idea. How about everyone just ease up a little and accept the fact that you A- don't have a degree in engineering and B- do not work for Disney in Imagineering? How many of us that have posted that we like this idea have gone to the level of extremes that the nay sayers have and said that Disney Imagineers are geniuses for coming up with such a ground shaking, Earth shattering, life changing idea? None. But those that do not like this idea have certainly taken it to the other extreme saying that Disney is making a huge debacle of this and a mistake that could cost the company tons of revenue and visitors and even may ruin the park forever.

How about we forget about the movie and just look at this new addition in a fresh light. Then, in 5 years, we see how the land works out? If Disney majorly fouls this up then the glass half empty people can scream all they want and say "I told you so!". But.... if this has even half the impact that WWoHP had then it will be a win for Disney. The one idea that I get from everyone complaining here today has been "They aren't doing what I want them to do!!"

Btw, the pp that mentioned the Lord of the Rings as an alternative. Wow. Nice one. That would have been a better choice especially since Peter Jackson has started the next two movies in that franchise. Nice. But Disney went with Avatar. We can see it with an open mind and see if the idea comes to a great and wonderful culmination or we can sit around festering over it for the next 5 years.

Who do you think you are? How dare you be objective, and who gave you the right to actually make sense? :thumbsup2

The one idea that I get from everyone complaining here today has been "They aren't doing what I want them to do!!"

And this is wrong?:confused3

This is a discussion board and this topic has certainly made for some lively conversation.

There is a great deal of passion for and against this idea.

It's a thin line we all walk. We want Disney to change and evolve, we just don't want them to change the things that hold memories for us.

I had a fit a couple of years ago when they changed the sign in front of Fort Wilderness....and I've only stayed at Fort Wilderness one night in my life. But....I liked the old sign.

This discussion will rage for a while and then die down until people start seeing progress being made. Then it will start up again.

If you really want to talk controversy....you need to hit the hot button issues.....the really important stuff....like saving pool chairs and refillable mugs.

If you really want to talk controversy....you need to hit the hot button issues.....the really important stuff....like saving pool chairs and refillable mugs.

:lmao: :thumbsup2

That made me smile again after sitting here nearly slack jawed for the better part of the day watching people eviscerate Disney over this decision. I know what you mean though. I about lost my mind when I heard that Disney was putting their characters into IaSW. That ride, while always a "Disney" ride was simply a nostalgic treasure that shouldn't be changed. And as for the refillable mugs.... not even touching that one with a ten foot straw. :rotfl2:

:lmao::rotfl2: The last two things you said will certainly start up some very heated debates!!!!

I would like to apologize if I what said has offended anyone at all. I..in no way, shape, or form...was saying that anyone on here was stupid and ignorant or not liking this idea.

One of the PP said that this isn't in the same category as stereotyping and other things. My whole point about that was that people..who don't like something and/or understand something...will buck up against it..in a sense become 'prejudice' towards it..meaning that they are "pre-judging something before they give it a chance." This is all I'm saying. I never once said that everyone else's opinion doesn't matter and only mine does. I even said that I appreciate the different opinions on this topic!!!

I just wish that we as a people, would stop bashing everything we don't like or understand before we even have a chance to see it for ourselves. If we had more open minds to things like this..maybe more and perhaps..better ideas could come about!!:thumbsup2

And this is wrong?:confused3

This is a discussion board and this topic has certainly made for some lively conversation.

There is a great deal of passion for and against this idea.

It's a thin line we all walk. We want Disney to change and evolve, we just don't want them to change the things that hold memories for us.

I had a fit a couple of years ago when they changed the sign in front of Fort Wilderness....and I've only stayed at Fort Wilderness one night in my life. But....I liked the old sign.

This discussion will rage for a while and then die down until people start seeing progress being made. Then it will start up again.

I have not read every post, but what I have read just shows again what a passionate fan base Disney has...not a bad thing...and they have strong feelings about this announcement. I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong. I'm not happy about it. In my opinion this is an attempt to show Disney is as "cool" as Universal. I think it's a poor choice and a waste of resources. "Cool" is not Disney's niche, nor do I think it should be. It bugs me that they are so bent on satisfying the teen boy market. I think they should focus on what has served them so well since long before Universal broke ground. It's like the Outback trying to compete with Mc Donald's. In my opinion. I don't remember any negative comments after Universal announced Harry Potter. There may have been some, but all I saw was excitement and I think it says something that Avatarland opinons are so divided.

So, Do you think I can park at DTD to avoid having to pay that stupid $14 a day to park just so I can experience that cool new AvatarLand?

:rolleyes1

I didn't know that there were more Avatar films planned, although I haven't even seen the first one so I wasn't planning to pass judgement on whether Avatarland is a good idea or not. It's certainly a better idea to base a land on a franchise rather than a single movie.

Wonder what the chances are of a particular drink appearing prominently in a future Avatar flick so that gu-gu-juice or whatever can be sold in souvenir cups? :rolleyes:

Was just thinking this morning. I wonder if the addition of Avatarland will finally push DAK's theme park hours to 9:00PM on a consistent basis? I'd certainly welcome that...It would help make the other theme parks less crowded at night.

Was just thinking this morning. I wonder if the addition of Avatarland will finally push DAK's theme park hours to 9:00PM on a consistent basis? I'd certainly welcome that...It would help make the other theme parks less crowded at night.

Honestly, I'd almost consider that a given. Right now the primary reasons for AK's early close would be the Animals and the fact the Safari just wouldn't be that interesting at night (both animals sleeping and lack of visability), the lack of nighttime entertainment (fireworks are out because of their ability to startle the animals), and quite honestly.... the fact that most people are done with their touring of the park pretty early in the day and are already filtering out by the afternoon.

If they can build this land to include enough to keep people entertained/busy, and maybe add a decent nighttime entertainment option (I keep thinking World of Color would be a perfect fit since it doesn't involve any pyrotechnics), There is no reason they couldn't keep the park open later.

Well....listening to the podcast, I realize there IS a bright side to Avatarland that I didn't think of ... it's better than Twilightville. :rolleyes1

Well....listening to the podcast, I realize there IS a bright side to Avatarland that I didn't think of ... it's better than Twilightville. :rolleyes1

:lmao:quick, get some garlic! the vampires will be out for ur blood now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter