• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Avatar land coming to Animal Kingdom!!

Remember when the Matrix came out, and people really loved it. Not everyone, obviously, but love for the film was very wide-spread.

Then Matrix Reloaded came out, and a whole lot of the people who loved it kinda went, "Uh, what?"

Then Matrix Revolutions came out, and even more people who loved the original film said, "Uh... no, just NO." After the third movie, the property's momentum pretty much died. The second and third movies sorta killed it for a lot of people.

I can easily see this happening with Avatar. Disney makes an enormous deal to make an Avatar land, after the FIRST film of a planned trilogy. It's too soon to commit that much land and that much money to an entire land based on one property that Disney doesn't even own. If that was the route they wanted to take, the long rumoured "Star Wars Land" update to DHS should have happened first. Even with many of the reviled prequels and changes to the original films, Star Wars has retained an incredibly huge following and isn't going anywhere. If anything it's only become stronger as a brand....
I haven't read all the replies, but I agree with this post. This is going to be a mistake for Disney. Avatar is not a classic like Harry Potter, LOTR, Star Wars, etc. It does not have a large cult following. It probably never will. It would be like if Disney had a Flashdance land, KWIM? In 10 years or so it is going to be so incredibly dated everyone is going to snicker.

When the movie came out, I thought this was a riot: http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/bighollywood/2010/01/05/how-disneys-pocahontas-became-avatar/

All of that aside, I didn't care for the movie. They lost me when they were looking for "unobtanium." Really? you spend hundreds of millions of dollars on a movie and the best space age futuristic element name you can come up with is unobtanium? How dumb do you think we are?

Absolutely love the idea. What a great potential for all the special effects. Do not know why so many against it. Like the movie or not, it did created a totally different world, what Disney is also about. My only concern however if Disney will not kill the idea and create something as horrible and demeaning as Prince Caspian attraction. Avatar deserves something big and serious just like Harry Potter.

I totally agree! I am still on the first page, so haven't read many responses but I am surprised at how many people are unhappy. Whether you liked the movie or not, the setting for the movie and the incredible creatures they created were magnificent! The backgrounds were beautiful and I think it will be amazing to experience a world that looks like that! I am very excited to see what the Imagineers come up with! :lovestruc

There is a huge difference between Potter and Avatar though. The Potter phenom started in 1997, 4 years before the first film was ever released. By time the first movie was being filmed the first 2 books were worldwide best sellers in the multi-billion dollar range, not to mention the extensive merchandising.

You're not just talking movies and box office where Potter is concerned, it is first and foremost the books where the success lies. Just because the final movie is done, it has little to do with the future success of the franchise. The books continue to introduce the series to new people. With Potter the films have always been secondary and while successful they are not the heart of fanbase. The adults who grew up with the books are now introducing them to their kids, siblings, friends ect.

Sorry, but the whole, "The last movie is over, interest will dwindle" thing, as if it were the movies that made the franchise is always something that make me go "huh?" :confused3
You have made very valid points and I fully acknowledge Harry Potter for the powerhouse that it is. :) However, we will have to agree to disagree -- I think it is very unrealistic to think that Harry Potter will sustain the heightened level of interest it has had for a decade now -- to sustain over the long term. I'm not sure if it will have the lasting power of Star Wars but who knows.

You are very correct in regards to the books, but again there are no new books to anticipate. For one to assume that future generations that may or may not be introduced to the Harry Potter series will have the same heightened interest is a bit far reaching IMO. Harry Potter was a kind phenomena that had everyone in the world reading each chapter simultaneously. Harry Potter books were what I considered highly interactive, as readers anxiously awaited the next volume. Generations of kids grew up with Harry Potter in real time -- it was an experience like no other. It swept readers off their feet and took them on a continuous fascinating journey for over a decade, I get it. :)

Those who are just introduced to Harry Potter will have a very different reading journey, they wont experience all the hype and buzz surrounding the next new volume -- the midnight releases at Barnes & Noble -- the Harry Potter sleep-ins and release parties. It was really something magical to receive the next new HP novel fresh off the press. Sorry, but having the complete boxed gift set of Harry Potter books with accommodating dvds is just not the same. But, as the saying goes all good things must come to an end and at least for now HP has seemed to reach it's peak.

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is nothing to scoff at. I never go to Universal but I am planning a trip because of HP. Harry Potter is not going away, I'm not saying that, it will continuously attract new readers and fans but not at level it once did. With no new books and/or movies in the works, its natural to expect interest to dwindle and things to level off. I really wasn't trying to bash HP. :hug:

It's just that I think that Disney's new Avatar land is going to crush Harry Potter world, seriously. I'll still visit though. :wizard:

Remember when the Matrix came out, and people really loved it. Not everyone, obviously, but love for the film was very wide-spread.

Then Matrix Reloaded came out, and a whole lot of the people who loved it kinda went, "Uh, what?"

Then Matrix Revolutions came out, and even more people who loved the original film said, "Uh... no, just NO." After the third movie, the property's momentum pretty much died. The second and third movies sorta killed it for a lot of people.

I can easily see this happening with Avatar. Disney makes an enormous deal to make an Avatar land, after the FIRST film of a planned trilogy. It's too soon to commit that much land and that much money to an entire land based on one property that Disney doesn't even own. If that was the route they wanted to take, the long rumoured "Star Wars Land" update to DHS should have happened first. Even with many of the reviled prequels and changes to the original films, Star Wars has retained an incredibly huge following and isn't going anywhere. If anything it's only become stronger as a brand....

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Disney messed up not getting Harry Potter rights. When I look at Harry Potter land I can see that at Disney. When I think about Avatar land, I see that at Universal. It seems....cheap to me. If I wanted to ride cheap, I'd go to Universal Studios.

I go to DisneyWorld because I like DisneyWorld. I don't go to Universal Studios for a reason. It kind of disturbs me that they are trying to follow the trail of a subpar theme park.

I'm probably in the minority but if Disney really wanted to shoe horn in a film franchise with a truly "rabid fan base" in AK and still appease those of us who are still irate over the lack of a Beastly Kingdom they would have purchased the theme park rights to THE LORD OF THE RINGS.

Then we could have had dragons, hobbits, orcs, a forest of Ents and on and on.

You have made very valid points and I fully acknowledge Harry Potter for the powerhouse that it is. :) However, we will have to agree to disagree -- I think it is very unrealistic to think that Harry Potter will sustain the heightened level of interest it has had for a decade now -- to sustain over the long term. I'm not sure if it will have the lasting power of Star Wars but who knows.

You are very correct in regards to the books, but again there are no new books to anticipate. For one to assume that future generations that may or may not be introduced to the Harry Potter series will have the same heightened interest is a bit far reaching IMO. Harry Potter was a kind phenomena that had everyone in the world reading each chapter simultaneously. Harry Potter books were what I considered highly interactive, as readers anxiously awaited the next volume. Generations of kids grew up with Harry Potter in real time -- it was an experience like no other. It swept readers off their feet and took them on a continuous fascinating journey for over a decade, I get it. :)

Those who are just introduced to Harry Potter will have a very different reading journey, they wont experience all the hype and buzz surrounding the next new volume -- the midnight releases at Barnes & Noble -- the Harry Potter sleep-ins and release parties. It was really something magical to receive the next new HP novel fresh off the press. Sorry, but having the complete boxed gift set of Harry Potter books with accommodating dvds is just not the same. But, as the saying goes all good things must come to an end and at least for now HP has seemed to reach it's peak.

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is nothing to scoff at. I never go to Universal but I am planning a trip because of HP. Harry Potter is not going away, I'm not saying that, it will continuously attract new readers and fans but not at level it once did. With no new books and/or movies in the works, its natural to expect interest to dwindle and things to level off. I really wasn't trying to bash HP. :hug:

It's just that I think that Disney's new Avatar land is going to crush Harry Potter world, seriously. I'll still visit though. :wizard:

I disagree. You have generations of people who are in love with the LOTR series, and that was well before the movies came out. Those books were not written in my lifetime, but a lot of 30-somethings are very much in to them, and now their kids are getting in to them. People love the epic saga and journey, even back to the Odyssey and before, so I don't see LOTR, Star Wars, or Harry Potter going anywhere any time soon. Avatar, though? That's just a blip on the blockbuster movie scene. It doesn't have the lasting power that movies made from classic literature do.

This is an unfortunate move by Disney, because they see the success that the WWOHP is, and they are trying to play catch up now. This is going to be compared unfavorably to HP, and especially 10+ years down the line it is going to seem really dated.

I'm probably in the minority but if Disney really wanted to shoe horn in a film franchise with a truly "rabid fan base" in AK and still appease those of us who are still irate over the lack of a Beastly Kingdom they would have purchased the theme park rights to THE LORD OF THE RINGS.

Then we could have had dragons, hobbits, orcs, a forest of Ents and on and on.
I agree a LOTR-themed land would have been fantastic, but my understanding is that the Tolkien estate keeps a pretty tight hold on rights (although I may be wrong here); I'm not sure if they would license Disney to create a theme park land...

I disagree. You have generations of people who are in love with the LOTR series, and that was well before the movies came out. Those books were not written in my lifetime, but a lot of 30-somethings are very much in to them, and now their kids are getting in to them. People love the epic saga and journey, even back to the Odyssey and before, so I don't see LOTR, Star Wars, or Harry Potter going anywhere any time soon. Avatar, though? That's just a blip on the blockbuster movie scene. It doesn't have the lasting power that movies made from classic literature do.

This is an unfortunate move by Disney, because they see the success that the WWOHP is, and they are trying to play catch up now. This is going to be compared unfavorably to HP, and especially 10+ years down the line it is going to seem really dated.

:thumbsup2 Exactly. I hope they make it easily dismantlable.

I'm just amazed that there are so many people that think because they cannot visualize it, they cannot see it fitting in, they are better visionaries for Disney that the Disney imaginears are. Reminds me of suits, never having trained a day in art and design tell me how to do my job, how to make a design/painting/etc. balance and be eye-catching and what font looks best. :rolleyes1 Those people are geniuses and the brightest visionaries. I trust in them to make is feel like we've walked into an entirely new land/world. If anyone can do it, they can. :thumbsup2 They're exceptionally good at their jobs. I also think that the "land" will make people think about being surrounded by HUGE plants, beasts(?) etc. Story like a "shrunk the kids" thing but completely new and fantastic foliage. The next movie involves the world under Pandora's oceans. I wonder if that will come into play too. No other theme park has created an alien world have they? It's an ambitious undertaking but one I trust in them to be able to do. I see that as being the theme there, nor a fixation on the storyline other than being kind to your environment. None of us are the visionaries for Disney, so lets let THEM do what the do best. :worship:

I thought Avatar was silly, but I'm excited about this new land. Visually, Avatar was gorgeous. I can imagine this new land being very beautiful, as well as having some good rides (those flying things?). With sequels and all coming out in the future for Avatar, I can see it making sense. The tie to James Cameron isn't a bad thing either.

The opportunity for semi-individualized simulator technology here is insane. Think "New Star Tours + Mission Space" type implementation where YOU "become" a Navi.

There's some pretty cool opportunities for attractions built into that movie, that's for sure.

Why am I not suprised by the cheering for this on here? The dis was better when it was an objective fansite, not a contest to see who could break there arms patting every decision on there backs contest.

Avatar is a forgettable movie with some offensive (to some) plotlines. These are not well hidden ideas, so for those that think anyone that disagrees hasnt watched it enough, your not paying attention to the discussion about this movie. (one of the reasons I avoided it for so long, but personally didnt find it as over the top as I was expecting FWIW).

Disney has a limited budget. This is my problem with this decision. Green lighting this idea means not being able to do the 10,000 other things that would have been better.

Dont see the fit in AK. Not even interested in the imaginary animals from that world, most of which were deadly/vicious. How this carries over to an entire land...

For anyone that doesnt think Disney can mess something up and that they are THE authority on all this, have you never been to the Dino land at AK?

Please... I did not say that HP was going away. :eek: You quoted me, yes but did you actually read what I wrote? "Harry Potter is not going away, I'm not saying that, it will continuously attract new readers and fans but not at level it once did. With no new books and/or movies in the works, its natural to expect interest to dwindle and things to level off."<---------- If you disagree with this, than okay, I respect that. I never wrote HP was "going anywhere soon". :rolleyes:

As for Avatar, I expect the theme park experience and attractions to be far greater than the films. I'm looking at the budget, the technology and level of creative effort that will be put into this project --it's going to be major. I have hope. :wizard:

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: Isn't the movie FICTION??? I mean seriously people need to chill out. I simply sit here in shock (with a side of mild humor) at how a fictional movie, with undertones of environmentalism and, well, anti-bullying for lack of a better word, can p*$$ people off so much. Geesh. This is probably one of the more shocking degradations of a thread I've seen on the Dis in my many years and that is saying a LOT....just.freakin.wow. Soooo....Pocahontas didn't paint the early settlers, our American ancestors, in the best light? Beauty & The Beast AND Bambi is anti-hunter am I right, please alert the NRA? I mean COME ON!?!?! Where does it end?! I like the concept of AK being a land with undertones of conservation which fits well with Avatar. Beyond that, I don't think it's an evil liberal conspiracy. It is an opportunity for the Imagineers to have a blast creating unique rides and venues that will offer a new "land" within AK that will, in fact, draw a heck of a lot of people to WDW. Which I do believe is the point.

TRUE!!!

I just had a realization- my parents (in the +70 age) are not up on their Disney Movies and Charcters like they used to be.
MEANING- they still love and enjoy all there is to see and do and don't have to have the background knowledge.
I'm sure there will be thousands and thousands of visitors who will enjoy Avatar Land without ever seeing the movie!
I expect to be one of them.

They have a ton of animals from the Americas already. Everywhere I look I see chipmunks and squirrels.

And cannibalist birds who try to steal your BBQ chicken at Flametree or your enormous Turkey Leg in Africa.

The problem is that it's really polarizing--Avatar, while being very pretty, was the sort of annoying environmental extmism that alienates about half of the country. And the sort of leftist who salivated over Avatar isn't a large part of Disney's demographic; they'd rather go somewhere "authentic."

The environmentalism certainly fits in with Animal Kingdom, but is likely to do so less in the "reasonable steward of the Earth" style that permeates most of AK, and more in the nagging "people are evil" style found more at Rafiki's Planet Watch. And that's the reason I don't go to Rafiki's Planet Watch any more.

They should be able to make some good rides out of it, but Beastly Kingdomme or Night Kingdom were better ideas.

Alienates half the country? Bold claim.

It bothers me that this announcement is creating reactions of "Oh no, more environmental extremism." If that is the reason you didn't like the movie, please open your eyes to the other point of view. I'm not saying it is correct, but it is important to listen to both sides of everything. It is also important to not pout because someone else has a different opinion. (For a good example of polarization see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Congress)

I'm more worried about the "shelf-life" of the franchise. If the sequels flop, it leaves DAK with a $500M mistake most likely larger (in size) than Hester and Chester's. Avatar will seem dated in 5 years, and will lose its draw.

Disney does have the ability to make something last. If they can create an awesome product maybe someday kids will be riding the Avatar rides and saying, "Oh man, I didn't know Avatar was a movie." ...Just a thought.

Why am I not suprised by the cheering for this on here? The dis was better when it was an objective fansite, not a contest to see who could break there arms patting every decision on there backs contest.
:rolleyes:

I love AK, I can spend a long time there just watching the animals. I don't think AK particularly needs an expansion. A attraction or two would always be nice (personally I'm looking for something along the lines of The Adventurer's Club)

I have to say the thought of it being Avatar doesn't thrill me, just not a fan, and not for any reason other than I didn't enjoy it all that much.

I guess we will wait and see what they come up with. I'd rather real animals to be incorporated into an area. I like the Yeti idea, however, over in Asia, because of the folk lore, it's sort of entwined culturally. You can place it alongside native species and it works.

I'm sure I will still check it out when it opens. But I'm not especially wowed about the idea.

I'd rather they put it in Hollywood Studio's. They could use it there and I feel it would fit better, IMO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter