Autographs or not?

lucifie

DIS Veteran
I'm torn about whether or not to get autograph books for the kids. I think it seems kind of dumb, but at the same time, if I was on vacation and got to meet a celebrity I'd probably want an autograph. To the kids these "celebrities" are probably just as real. They probably wouldn't think of it on their own, but if we meet a character and they see other kids asking for autographs they might want to do it too and then we would have missed it for that character and any others we might have seen up to that point.

I saw someone mention an encyclopedia of Disney characters that they used for autographs, which sounds like a good idea. the other advantage to that is that it will be something to get my 7 year old newish reader to keep reading while we're on vacation. Another option would be to get a pack of card stock and have each character sign a page and later put them in an album or scrapbook with a picture of the kids with that character. I don't want to spend a lot of money on autograph books or supplies when I have no idea if they'll even be interested.

And how many books should I get? Is one for the family good? I really don't want to get 4 of everything since I'm fairly certain 2 of them won't care and the other two might not care.

What creative ideas have you come up with?

I got a 4x5 sketch pad and decorated the cover with scrapbook paper (Disney phrases and stickers) for dd to use as autograph book. She didn't fill the book but can use the back pages for a mini scrapbook too. She was responsible for carrying it with sharpee marker so that if she saw character she wanted she would have it.

I had index cards on ring so I could cut them to size for in big scrapbook. The characters didn't think twice about signing for me (a grown up who held out book like a kid).

I'm planning on making autograph books for my little two. I'm going to wait until a month or so before our trip, and use the Kenny the Pirate Blog to know which characters we need and I'll download autograph picture pages (a few generic ones for and surprise characters we meet) from the Creative DISigns board and have them printed through Snapfish and bound at Office Depot. My oldest has acted funny about the idea of meeting characters at local theme parks. I can't tell if he's just really not interested, or if he's embarrassed by them. :confused3 Even when I was a kid, they've kind of weirded me out, so I don't blame him. I'm hoping to get over my weirdness, because I want to hug Stitch!:rotfl:

I seem to be the only one on DISboards who hasn't seen Lilo and Stitch. I started reading the story book to one of my kids in the pediatrician's office and thought it was kind of dumb, but we didn't get very far before we got called back.

I would wait until you are there - that is what we did last time. At first my dd just took pictures with the characters but got caught up in the excitement and wanted autographs too. We plan on bringing it again this time... if we can find it.

Your second post you talked about Lilo and Stitch. It is one of my least favorite movies. Mainly because Lilo is five or six and swimming in the ocean alone and going to dance classes alone. It really bothered me. The fact that an alien is her friend never did though. lol.

Oh my gosh. I LOVE Lilo and Stitch! I can see where the PP was coming from about Lilo being to young to be doing those things on her own, but I think it was part of the point of the movie. Her sister was doing the best that she could, but it wasn't good enough, that's why CPS was involved with the family. When my oldest was born, I got all excited after my oldest son was born, and I realized I wouldn't have to feel like a weirdo anymore for watching it once a week. :stitch:

When I went in 2010 my two kids DD4 and DS18mo did autograph books. We
Went with my sister and her kids 10-12-12 and they at first thought it was dumb, until they saw all the autographs mine had, so they went out and bought books and tried to get as many as my children. It was fun, they thought it was kind of cool after they started.

We have a canvas bag that we use so it is a keepsake and useful as well....it is my favorite Disney souvenir b/c no one else has one like it :)

First time I went in 92 I was 9, sister 11, brothers were 7, 5 & 2 ... we had autograph books but didn't know it until we arrived and mum got them out. I think I had one the second time around as a 13 year old. I still have mine from our 1992 trip ... call me sentimental but I am never going to throw it away, so many happy memories in that little book.

I don't know where my Mum got them from but they were Disney autograph books. If I had kids to take, especially little ones, I'd have a book for them each. It may sound silly but getting an autograph from a character is an extra piece of interaction between character and child rather than just posing for a picture ... I remember my brother "chasing" after Donald Duck in MK because Donald had become distracted and when he turned back to my brother "couldn't" see him, so started looking for him.

I'd definitely get some books, they aren't a silly add-on, they're a book full of memories.

We did "autograph books" in the past. When we surprised the kids with a trip to WDW, I took blank 4x6 index cards and a 4x6 photo book from the dollar store. The characters signed the cards and then when we were home, we put the photos of the kids with the character on facing pages with the signature. The kids had fun with it, but if they had decided not to do it, it wasn't a big investment.
This past trip, I thought they wouldn't want to do autographs, but asked them. To my surprise, they did. This time we decided to go a different route. I made canvas slipcovers for 16x16 pillows and we had the characters sign them with fabric markers. I love my pillow now that we're home! I see it everyday as compared to a book on a shelf I have to think about and pull out. (I also bought a Mickey Mouse apron and had the characters sign that for myself. I actually use an apron when I cook everyday and it hangs on a hook in my kitchen. Best Disney souvenir yet for me!)

We did it the first few years we took our oldest but after a couple of years doing it, it just became redundant for us. We still do the pictures and I LOVE the new autograph scrapbooks and ideas that people have to get the autographs. If our younger ones ever wanted to get an autograph, I'd definitely put together a cute autograph book or use the pillowcase idea...etc, so far they're not too interested in anything other than a few photos LOL

Why don't you just ask them if they want to spend the time getting autographs. My kids never did.

Well my DD when she was 4 got an autograph book and if we cam across one walking around or without a line we got it but never stood in a long line. But that was the only trip and we spent very little time.

My DS couldn't care less! He wanted nothing to do with the characters so it was great and we never had to stand in any lines with him.

I would just ask them what they want to do.

I'm considering getting or making something small so they have it if they want it. Is one for all the kids, considering at least 2 of them won't care, good or do kids like to have their own? this is goign to be their Christmas gift, but we're not going until january so we'll have time to talk about what they want to do.

You might end up spending more if you make a custom one (depending on what supplies, etc. you already have on hand).

I have two kids. My daughter (age 7 at the time) wanted a book, and my son didn't. We just bought the autograph book for her when we arrived. I think it was between only about $6 or $7. She loved collecting the autographs. Even now she loves to flip through the book looking at the different signatures. She loves how they are all different and unique.

It all depends on what the books will mean to the you and kids after you get home, I did this when mine were 7 and 10. The books ended up being looked at only a few times and I was sorry we did it because of the time spent standing in line.

Ask them about it and think about everything else you could be doing with this time.

Well I did autograph books in 2005 for my then 4 yo & 22 month old. They still sit in the closet.

I did a photo matt in 2008 with all 3 kids & just had the fab five sign it & it hangs up on the wall.

I will be doing a photo matt again next year. I only took it to Chef Mickeys since I didn't want to lug it around & I was afraid it would bend.

Well I did autograph books in 2005 for my then 4 yo & 22 month old. They still sit in the closet.

I did a photo matt in 2008 with all 3 kids & just had the fab five sign it & it hangs up on the wall.
I will be doing a photo matt again next year. I only took it to Chef Mickeys since I didn't want to lug it around & I was afraid it would bend.

I might do this next trip. First trip I almost didn't do the autograph book for my son, but I'm so glad I did. Collecting character autographs turned out to be his favorite activity in the parks. You won't know if your kids are into it unless you try. We brought pictures of the characters printed on cardstock (I got the designs here on the dis), so it only cost me the ink to print them. Then last trip I ordered a photobook with pics of the characters on each page for them to sign (again a design from here on the dis - and picaboo was running a free photobook promotion, so I only had to pay the shipping).

;) Be sure to put your address in it so it can be returned to you--which Disney does regularly.

On my first trip..age 34 I wanted an autograph book, so I got one....got about 50 signatures then lost it....I did not have my address in it...note to self

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter