Autograph Quilt!!!!!

kritter

<font color=deeppink>I need a Disney FIX!!<br><fon
Anyone know how I can make an autograph quilt???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking to find a way to make a quilt with autographs on it!!!!!!!!!!!! Any suggetions??!!!!!!!!!

Depends on what occasion or however you want it autographed.

I did a 50th anniversary quilt with pictures of the happy couple throughout their life on the front and then on the back had everyone at the party sign it with a sharpie pen.

Then another time for my Brownie troop I gave each girl squares totaling the number of girls in the group (6 girls - 6 squares each girl) then they had to make a special square that represented something about them and sign it and then recreate the number of squares they had, so if they had 6 squares they did that 6 times. They did this with fabric pens, fabric crayons and sharpies...then at the end we sewed them together and made a small quilt for each girl.

if you wanted characters from the park, you would have to take the fabric squares and a fabric marker (which seems too involved for me). Or you could trace the signatures from a book or paper onto fabric squares once you were home.

or were you talking about non-WDW autographs? just be sure you use fabric markers for everyone to sign so that it doesn't wash out of the fabric later. (we did one of those for my DH's grandmother when she turned 80 - the great-grandkids even drew pictures with fabric crayons!!) Just look for the supplies in your local craft or fabric store.

good luck!!

Thanks, I wanted to use it with autographs from the DCL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To do this pick out the fabric you want the autographs on. Cut out bigger than the size you will need. Iron on freezer paper (you get it in the wrap aisle of the grocery store. this helps to stabilize the fabric) Use a pen made for writting on fabric. Don't use a ball point pen. Go to a fabric store and ask them. I have used a pigma pen in a variety of colors.

Does anyone know of anyone who would be willing to assemble the quilt for me??

I did this for my son's 1st trip to Disney. He was 7 months. So I ordered 100 squares of 8 x 8 denim from a quilter on Ebay. Then I learned a couple of tips about getting autographs on fabric at Disney.

1) Take 1" masking tape and tape around each edge because it gives the Character a perimeter otherwise they could sign from edge to edge and you need room around the edges to sew the squares together.

2) Take Sharpie Rub a Dub markers specifically made to withstand washing so your autograph won't fade.

3) You will also need a small clipboard to clip the fabric to and give the Character something to bear down on.

4) Because the fabric is flimsy unlike paper we also taped pieces of cardstock to the back of the paper to help give it substance when they signed so it didn't slip or fold on the clipboard.

It was a alot of work in both preparation and when we got back. But we took them in double seal ziploc bags with extra sharpies and it worked like magic while we were there. I kept a gallon bag of signed ones and a bag of blank ones. I also had a gallon bag in the room that I left the previous days signed ones in so we weren't lugging those everyday.

When we got home I ordered Disney fabric quilt squares from Ebay and sewed it together. It took more time for me to lay it out in groupings then it did to actually sew it together.

It looks great but its alot of work. Hope this helps.

I'm actually in the process of making one now. What I did was get white fabric and cut it into 12"x12" squares (I wanted the final squares to be 10"x10" or 8"by 8"). Then I got fabric markers from Michaels (any craft store should have them), got a 12"x12" hard wooden board from scraps at Home Depot for the characters to press on, and got binder clips to clip the fabric to the board. I then clipped the fabric to the board and got autographs. It took a while in between each character to clip a new piece of fabric on, but after I did it a few times I got a system down and I could do it pretty fast. The characters thought it was pretty cool and they would usually ask how big they should sign. For my quilt, I let them sign as big as they wanted and just adjusted the size later. Now I'm in the process of cutting down the squares to the right sizes and adding pictures of the characters on each square using iron on transfers and an at home embroidery machine. I'm also planning on adding Disney fabric to the quilt so it's not so white. It's a lot of fun, but a lot of work too. I can't wait to get it done and see it completed. Hope that helps.

Does anyone know of anyone who would be willing to assemble the quilt for me??

Quilting is a LOT of work, so I'm not sure if there's anyone who does someone else's work for them. You may check out quilting shops in your area and see if there's someone like that - you're likely to pay through the nose, but then you wouldn't have to do it yourself. I also saw a kit that I believe included everything at Joannes closer to graduation time. My mom was upset because she came up with that idea way before a kit and had to do it all on her own! Twice, for both her daughters! She never wanted to quilt again after mine, but couldn't leave my sister out. If there aren't quilting shops, you could ask at the bigger craft stores instead - a quilt shop is just more likely to know quilters.

Actually there are lots oif people who do the final quilting of your top for you. (it is what I do for a living) There are several ways to find someone to do the quilting for you after you have assembled your quilt top. You can check at local quilt shops. Most have lists of local long arm quilters. These have varying skills and prices. But they are local. Another option is to check on ebay and etsey. Both of these sites have people that do long arm quilting for customers. Again, there is a range of skills and prices.

The most important thing is to get references...these are your memories we are talking about. The price to actually get it quilted varies widely and is based on the complexity of the quilting pattern among other things.

I'm sure you will have no trouble finding someone to complete your quilt...and thanks for the idea. I've made several signature quilts, but never thought about making one for Disney...I feel another project coming on!

Nini

Actually there are lots oif people who do the final quilting of your top for you. (it is what I do for a living) There are several ways to find someone to do the quilting for you after you have assembled your quilt top. You can check at local quilt shops. Most have lists of local long arm quilters. These have varying skills and prices. But they are local. Another option is to check on ebay and etsey. Both of these sites have people that do long arm quilting for customers. Again, there is a range of skills and prices.

The most important thing is to get references...these are your memories we are talking about. The price to actually get it quilted varies widely and is based on the complexity of the quilting pattern among other things.

I'm sure you will have no trouble finding someone to complete your quilt...and thanks for the idea. I've made several signature quilts, but never thought about making one for Disney...I feel another project coming on!

Nini

Nini,

Thanks, for the tips....Would love to see some pictures of your quilts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did this for my son's 1st trip to Disney. He was 7 months. So I ordered 100 squares of 8 x 8 denim from a quilter on Ebay. Then I learned a couple of tips about getting autographs on fabric at Disney.

1) Take 1" masking tape and tape around each edge because it gives the Character a perimeter otherwise they could sign from edge to edge and you need room around the edges to sew the squares together.

2) Take Sharpie Rub a Dub markers specifically made to withstand washing so your autograph won't fade.

3) You will also need a small clipboard to clip the fabric to and give the Character something to bear down on.

4) Because the fabric is flimsy unlike paper we also taped pieces of cardstock to the back of the paper to help give it substance when they signed so it didn't slip or fold on the clipboard.

It was a alot of work in both preparation and when we got back. But we took them in double seal ziploc bags with extra sharpies and it worked like magic while we were there. I kept a gallon bag of signed ones and a bag of blank ones. I also had a gallon bag in the room that I left the previous days signed ones in so we weren't lugging those everyday.

When we got home I ordered Disney fabric quilt squares from Ebay and sewed it together. It took more time for me to lay it out in groupings then it did to actually sew it together.

It looks great but its alot of work. Hope this helps.

I would LOVE to see this quilt!!
It sounds beautiful!

would love to see pics anyone have any they can post

I have all my squares cut out and taped. I am just waiting for my trip

Instead of having to prepare and lug the squares to DW, what about just scanning the autographs that you get while there and then printing them on iron-on transfer paper? Then you don't have to carry anything separate to DW & can put the autograph and maybe even the pic taken with the character on the squares. I want to try to do this, but I am nervous since I have started, but never actually finished a quilt!

Sorry it's taken so long...I lost this post...I don't know how to insert a picture if someone could tell me how I will get one of it uploaded...thanks.

Sorry it's taken so long...I lost this post...I don't know how to insert a picture if someone could tell me how I will get one of it uploaded...thanks.

Upload the pic to photobucket or some other photo sharing site. Copy the img code then paste it into your post. You may need to resize the pic first, depending on it's size.

If you are making an autograph quilt of the Disney characters simply go to this site:
WDWAUTOGRAPHS.COM - Disney World Meet and Greet Characters 2009 (Ben's Autograph Book!)
or if that link didn't work try this one:
http://home.att.net/~disneysue/characters/wdw/disneycharacters.html

find the character you want on the quilt and scan or copy the autograph directly on the fabric.
I see more characters on this site than you will ever get to see in Disney and you won't have to give up your vacation to hunt characters.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter