Aulani: What's the One Thing You Wish You Knew?

Thanks Phil for checking. That's really a bummer that those are premium experiences now - especially since they didn't used to be.
When I was there in March 2015, it seemed like they were charging for more (if not all) of the workout classes on the beach vs. when I was there in summer 2014.

Thanks Phil for checking. That's really a bummer that those are premium experiences now - especially since they didn't used to be.

DW has been doing yoga out on the lanai. She also went out to the left side of the cove. The grassy area near the trees

Hi! I haven't actually been to Aulani yet, but I just booked our trip! And wanted to pass this along:

We were going to book hotel only, not a package (using Amex points for one airline ticket). I assumed a package was flight and hotel, and I was wrong! The wonderful CM I spoke with (Michael) was so helpful and told me that booking a rental car, airport shuttle or excursion along with the hotel room would qualify as a package. This meant that instead of having to put a one night stay, plus tax down on a deposit (over 1,100 dollars since we reserved a 2 bedroom villa) for a hotel only reservation, we only had to put $400 down to secure our reservation because it's considered a package! The package just has to be paid in full 30 days prior to arrival. This helped us immensely since we were booking flights at the same time. Just wanted to share in case someone else did not know that, just like me!

Here's a question, when you book the Pearl Harbor tour through Aulani, can you also visit the Missouri? Thank you!!

Wow great thread. We just booked feb 12-20 2016 - will be my 'I beat cancer' celebration trip as well as dh 50th birthday and ds' 16th birthday. Has been such a stressful year we all needed something to look forward to and to plan for - should all be over after my stem cell transplant in September!!

can anyone tell me how busy it typically is at that time? And both of my boys (21 and 16) want to do pearl harbour - can we get tickets ahead of time and are we better to do a tour through Disney or just go on our own? We will be renting a car for the whole time. I believe I read dvc members get free parking anyway!!
Also want to do a luau - where is the best place for that?
That is when we will be there! Im SO excited:D

We're here at Aulani right now. Some things: We're DVC members and staying in a one bedroom suite. Someone told us that there's filters in the coffee machines, ours has none. There's no salt/pepper in the room, but I got some from the snack stand next to the rainbow reef area, plus I got some soy sauce. There's an exit from the parking garage on the bottom level that saves you a few minutes of driving and a U-turn. Line up early for just about everything. We went to the Star Lit Hui show tonight and the line was forming up at 630 or so. We got in line at 645 or so and were about 15 feet from the stage. From our room on the 9th floor we're overlooking the stage. Great room.

Another great thing you might not know about! There's a room where you can hang out before or after you check in/out next to the Pau Hana Room, since check in is at 4pm and check out is at 10am. There's a TV and couches and A/C. It's a nice place just to hang out while you wait for your room.

Thanks for the report! How are you finding the crowds at Aulani this time of year?

We checked in on Saturday 5 sept. and the place was crowded, but it was Labor Day weekend. This morning, 8 Sep, the crowds have dissipated a little, parking is easier on site, pool chairs aren't as full, pools aren't as crowded. We didn't bring the kids so Auntie's Playhouse isn't somewhere we line up for. The night show wasn't too bad a crowd, and the movie going on outside of our room isn't jam packed.

Has anyone got an email address for room requests please rather than through the "contact us"

Many thanks

Has anyone got an email address for room requests please rather than through the "contact us"

Many thanks
For DVC points reservations, the website contact link to member services worked fine for me for room requests--they were able to assign a room that matched my request. I sent the request about 2 weeks before arrival.

We checked in on Saturday 5 sept. and the place was crowded, but it was Labor Day weekend. This morning, 8 Sep, the crowds have dissipated a little, parking is easier on site, pool chairs aren't as full, pools aren't as crowded. We didn't bring the kids so Auntie's Playhouse isn't somewhere we line up for. The night show wasn't too bad a crowd, and the movie going on outside of our room isn't jam packed.

That sounds pretty good. Thanks for the info! We're considering this time frame next year.

That is when we will be there! Im SO excited:D

Wow, what a coincidence! We will be there February 12-21, 2016 too!

Regarding Pearl Harbor....if you have a car, I would skip the cost of the excursion through Aulani and just go yourself. I like to go on a Wednesday, then I can hit the Aloha Stadium swap meet while we are in the city. Tickets for Pearl Harbor can be obtained in advance here: http://www.recreation.gov/showPage....arbor/home.jsp&contractCode=NRSO&parkId=72369

There is a Luau next door at Paradise Cove https://www.paradisecove.com/luau-packages/?gclid=CNvuzpG56scCFUhgfgodOjIDqw

Hi! I haven't actually been to Aulani yet, but I just booked our trip! And wanted to pass this along:

We were going to book hotel only, not a package (using Amex points for one airline ticket). I assumed a package was flight and hotel, and I was wrong! The wonderful CM I spoke with (Michael) was so helpful and told me that booking a rental car, airport shuttle or excursion along with the hotel room would qualify as a package. This meant that instead of having to put a one night stay, plus tax down on a deposit (over 1,100 dollars since we reserved a 2 bedroom villa) for a hotel only reservation, we only had to put $400 down to secure our reservation because it's considered a package! The package just has to be paid in full 30 days prior to arrival. This helped us immensely since we were booking flights at the same time. Just wanted to share in case someone else did not know that, just like me!

Here's a question, when you book the Pearl Harbor tour through Aulani, can you also visit the Missouri? Thank you!!
Hi Crystal ~ You are going to love Aulani. When are you going?
There are two different Pearl Harbor excursions you can book through Aulani. One is for the USS Arizona Memorial only (we did this one). You leave Aulani about 6:30 am. When you get to the USS Arizona Memorial grounds (also has a bunch of shops, museums and the Bowfin Submarine. We had time to tour all of these before our 8:30 movie and tender time. We were back at Aulani by noon. The other goes to Punchbowl cemetery, USS Arizona and the USS MO. I have not done that one personally, but have heard good things about it.
Let me know if you have any other questions about Aulani or Hawaii in general (I used to live there). Happy planning.

Many thanks
We paid cash for our rooms last summer and I just called Aulani directly to put in my room requests (I had 2 rooms booked). My request was fortunately honored as well.
The # I called was 808 674 6200.

Hi Crystal ~ You are going to love Aulani. When are you going?
There are two different Pearl Harbor excursions you can book through Aulani. One is for the USS Arizona Memorial only (we did this one). You leave Aulani about 6:30 am. When you get to the USS Arizona Memorial grounds (also has a bunch of shops, museums and the Bowfin Submarine. We had time to tour all of these before our 8:30 movie and tender time. We were back at Aulani by noon. The other goes to Punchbowl cemetery, USS Arizona and the USS MO. I have not done that one personally, but have heard good things about it.
Let me know if you have any other questions about Aulani or Hawaii in general (I used to live there). Happy planning.

Hi Girimama33!! Our trip is July 11-18, 2016! We are SO excited!! We are going to celebrate our 15 year wedding anniversary and my parents 41st wedding anniversary! (and my parents and DS6 and DS8 have never flown on an airplane before!) We are now considering just renting a car for the day, since there are so many of us instead of the tour. Do you park in the same area for everything (USS Arizona and the USS MO)? Thank you so much!!!

Also, since we are not DVC members, we are thinking to take the Speddi-shuttle to and from the airport, but I am reading some not so great reviews. Anyone offer any advice and/or experience with that? We just really don't want to pay the $35 parking fee and other than Pearl Harbor, don't have plans to venture offsite much. We really want to relax and enjoy all that Aulani has to offer. TIA!

Hi Girimama33!! Our trip is July 11-18, 2016! We are SO excited!! We are going to celebrate our 15 year wedding anniversary and my parents 41st wedding anniversary! (and my parents and DS6 and DS8 have never flown on an airplane before!) We are now considering just renting a car for the day, since there are so many of us instead of the tour. Do you park in the same area for everything (USS Arizona and the USS MO)? Thank you so much!!!

Also, since we are not DVC members, we are thinking to take the Speddi-shuttle to and from the airport, but I am reading some not so great reviews. Anyone offer any advice and/or experience with that? We just really don't want to pay the $35 parking fee and other than Pearl Harbor, don't have plans to venture offsite much. We really want to relax and enjoy all that Aulani has to offer. TIA!
Happy anniversary all around!

My first trip was July 12-19. My parents took the kids and grandkids to Aulani. There were 13 in our group total. We came in separate groups, since we live in different areas. DH, DD (5 at the time) and I had already booked Speedi Shuttle (as did the rest of my family due to enjoying the resort and not paying parking fees). Our plane was delayed a few hours. We got a private ride in an SUV to Aulani somehow with a Speedi Shuttle driver. The ride back was a shared shuttle. Both experiences were very positive. I didn't hear any complaints from my family regarding their service either.
We also booked a rental car through the Alamo desk on site. If you are a Costco member, make sure to check their rental car rates...and often. You should also check through http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com. Neither one of these cost to reserve, so you can always change your reservation if a cheaper rate becomes available.
Since you are going during a peak time, I highly suggest looking into reserving an Ama Ama deck, Executive Lanai or Cabana on days you plan to stay and enjoy the amenities. The EL and cabanas are a definite splurge. The upper Ama Ama deck is less than $100-you get 2 casabellas overlooking the lagoon, and really good service. It is nice to not have to stake out a place at 7 in the morning, and then risk having our stuff moved around.

Happy anniversary all around!

My first trip was July 12-19. My parents took the kids and grandkids to Aulani. There were 13 in our group total. We came in separate groups, since we live in different areas. DH, DD (5 at the time) and I had already booked Speedi Shuttle (as did the rest of my family due to enjoying the resort and not paying parking fees). Our plane was delayed a few hours. We got a private ride in an SUV to Aulani somehow with a Speedi Shuttle driver. The ride back was a shared shuttle. Both experiences were very positive. I didn't hear any complaints from my family regarding their service either.
We also booked a rental car through the Alamo desk on site. If you are a Costco member, make sure to check their rental car rates...and often. You should also check through http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com. Neither one of these cost to reserve, so you can always change your reservation if a cheaper rate becomes available.
Since you are going during a peak time, I highly suggest looking into reserving an Ama Ama deck, Executive Lanai or Cabana on days you plan to stay and enjoy the amenities. The EL and cabanas are a definite splurge. The upper Ama Ama deck is less than $100-you get 2 casabellas overlooking the lagoon, and really good service. It is nice to not have to stake out a place at 7 in the morning, and then risk having our stuff moved around.

Great tips! Thank you so much! How far in advance can I reserve the Cabana and the Casabellas? 2 Casabella's for under $100 is sounding like a great deal compared to the more expensive cabana. My DH has expressed interest in the cabana for at least one day but this might change his mind. Now I have to go find a map and see where the Ama Ama deck is compared to the pools! =)

Oh, and thank you for the anniversary wishes! (and too funny we are almost there the same dates!) I feel much better about the shuttle now too! Thank you!

Great tips! Thank you so much! How far in advance can I reserve the Cabana and the Casabellas? 2 Casabella's for under $100 is sounding like a great deal compared to the more expensive cabana. My DH has expressed interest in the cabana for at least one day but this might change his mind. Now I have to go find a map and see where the Ama Ama deck is compared to the pools! =)

Oh, and thank you for the anniversary wishes! (and too funny we are almost there the same dates!) I feel much better about the shuttle now too! Thank you!
The Ama Ama Upper/Lower Decks are located to the far left of the Ama Ama deck (if you are looking out to the lagoon). It is a little secluded...which was nice for us. We spent most our day in the hustle and bustle around the pools/slides. We enjoyed having a quieter place to retreat to. Everything is really close...you do not have to walk far to go between the pools, slides and lagoon.
When we had our larger group, we did 2 cabana days (by the Menehune Bridge) and one day with the EL. When DH, DD and I went back March 2015, we did the Ama Ama deck 2 days, since it was HI spring break. I enjoyed spending the day in all 3. I know people that gave booked all of the above at the 10 month mark. If you are interested, I would do it asap. They do not require a deposit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter