Aulani: What's the One Thing You Wish You Knew?

Another question from me...sorry! In planning mode right now! So I am reading the Marriott has hammerhead sharks and sting rays. But it looks like the Marriott right next to Aulani is closed? So were the sharks and sting rays at the Marriott right next to Aulani, or the one further down? And anyone know when the Marriott will re-open? Was planning on heading over there for walks and Starbucks. TIA!
When we were there last November, they were at the Marriott right next to Aulani. However, I have no idea of the status now with all of the construction/hotel change. Here's some pictures, though:

Fun little diversion (we were meeting someone at the Starbucks and just happened to wander and see these).

When we were there last November, they were at the Marriott right next to Aulani. However, I have no idea of the status now with all of the construction/hotel change. Here's some pictures, though:
Wow. I think this is the first time this has been noted. Too bad they've closed up. I wonder if they moved them or if they are still there?

The Ama Ama Upper/Lower Decks are located to the far left of the Ama Ama deck (if you are looking out to the lagoon). It is a little secluded...which was nice for us. We spent most our day in the hustle and bustle around the pools/slides. We enjoyed having a quieter place to retreat to. Everything is really close...you do not have to walk far to go between the pools, slides and lagoon.
When we had our larger group, we did 2 cabana days (by the Menehune Bridge) and one day with the EL. When DH, DD and I went back March 2015, we did the Ama Ama deck 2 days, since it was HI spring break. I enjoyed spending the day in all 3. I know people that gave booked all of the above at the 10 month mark. If you are interested, I would do it asap. They do not require a deposit.

Are the casabellas near Ama Ama in the sun or are they mostly shaded? We're thinking about reserving these but are sun worshipers so wouldn't want to be in the shade.

Also, did you ever reserve the casabellas on the beach? Its my understanding those are same day only reservations. Just wondering how they were if you reserved them or at least saw them.

Are the casabellas near Ama Ama in the sun or are they mostly shaded? We're thinking about reserving these but are sun worshipers so wouldn't want to be in the shade.

Also, did you ever reserve the casabellas on the beach? Its my understanding those are same day only reservations. Just wondering how they were if you reserved them or at least saw them.
The Ama Ama casabellas are mostly shaded. There is some sun that peaks through during the day.
The beach casabellas are same day rentals. They are in full sun.

Thank you Dugette! I hope the sharks and sting rays return with the 4 seasons. My boys would FLIP! They love hammerheads. =)

I think this might be a silly question, but I want to make sure. Can you use Disney dollars at Aulani?

Is there a separate thread fore Aulani room only discounts and promotions? I'm not a DVC owner and will be booking a package. I don't see threads dedicated to Aulani trip planning or discounts. Thanks!

Is there a separate thread fore Aulani room only discounts and promotions? I'm not a DVC owner and will be booking a package. I don't see threads dedicated to Aulani trip planning or discounts. Thanks!
I'm not aware of any, but you can find the latest Aulani discounts on the official Disney Aulani site here: https://resorts.disney.go.com/aulani-hawaii-resort/

Right now you can save up to 30% on a 5 night stay. That seems pretty typical for Aulani discounts. Plus you get free breakfast every day.

We'll be visiting Hawaii (including Aulania) next year at this time. Can anyone advise how often tsunamis occur or how often they come into the vicinity? Is it like Orlando during hurricane season (minimal issues) or is it more of a concern?

We'll be visiting Hawaii (including Aulania) next year at this time. Can anyone advise how often tsunamis occur or how often they come into the vicinity? Is it like Orlando during hurricane season (minimal issues) or is it more of a concern?

Tsunamis are caused by earthquakes, so it's not seasonal like hurricanes. It would be like going to San Francisco and worrying about earthquakes? But at least you would have advance warning with tsunamis. Here's some history, they're pretty rare.

http://www.civilbeat.com/2011/03/9558-a-history-of-tsunamis-in-hawaii/

Thanks for the info. Good to know. On a related note, hurricanes come to Hawaii too correct? Are those rare as well?
The islands are located in the middle of the ocean...so Yes...they are susceptible to hurricanes. They are very hard to predict how horrible a season is going to be and if any will make landfall (which does not happen often).
I was living on Oahu when Hurricane Iniki hit...that was the last big one over there if I recall. It was heading straight for Oahu the morning it hit, but as the ay went on, it changed course and went right over Kauai about 3pm. Moral to the story...Even if they are coming your way, you never know where it may actually end up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!