Aulani: What's the One Thing You Wish You Knew?

I'm so glad to hear this! I am a Floridian, and a DCL addict with 10 Disney cruises under my belt. I'm sad to miss DCL next year to go to Aulani, but I think this could easily become my new favorite.
I think you are making a great decision.

Random tip for anybody celebrating a birthday at Aulani and has a car. I thought the Mickey and Friends Luau ice-cream cake from Baskin-Robbins really fit Aulani! We got it from the Baskin-Robbins in Kapolei about 15 minutes drive from Aulani. I think this was the 1/3 sheet size and was about $33. We had 5 adults and 4 kids and had a couple slices left over.

upload_2015-7-13_10-40-7.png

Hi

If getting a taxi to a food shop which one would you recommend and any idea of taxi cost

Probably a stupid question but do any companies deliver to aulani ?

Eeyorefanuk, I could be wrong but my guess is that September is normally pretty calm, but with all us that will be staying pre and post DCL Hawaii cruise, the place will be rocking!!! :flower:

Would you say September is a busy time ?

I can't speak for later on but if you go following Labour Day it is calm. We were there last year from Thursday before to Thursday after Labour day. The first part was busy but the day after the long weekend was so quiet. No lines for anything and no problem getting chairs. I wish I had pushed our trip a few days back.

Random tip for anybody celebrating a birthday at Aulani and has a car. I thought the Mickey and Friends Luau ice-cream cake from Baskin-Robbins really fit Aulani! We got it from the Baskin-Robbins in Kapolei about 15 minutes drive from Aulani. I think this was the 1/3 sheet size and was about $33. We had 5 adults and 4 kids and had a couple slices left over.

View attachment 109545
I love the cake!

Thanks for posting the Makaha beach area pics Carissa-so beautiful!
It was not Makaha beach area...way beyond that. I wasn't sure, but what tipped me off was that there were no houses nearby, nor any lifeguards. It is right under the satellite trackers. I'm going to try to attach a map. Yokohama Bay is what I'm thinking. You can see where the highway ends on the map.

image.jpg

Wow great thread. We just booked feb 12-20 2016 - will be my 'I beat cancer' celebration trip as well as dh 50th birthday and ds' 16th birthday. Has been such a stressful year we all needed something to look forward to and to plan for - should all be over after my stem cell transplant in September!!

can anyone tell me how busy it typically is at that time? And both of my boys (21 and 16) want to do pearl harbour - can we get tickets ahead of time and are we better to do a tour through Disney or just go on our own? We will be renting a car for the whole time. I believe I read dvc members get free parking anyway!!
Also want to do a luau - where is the best place for that?

Aloha BitsnBearsMom!
Wow! What a blessing that you are on your way to being healed of cancer! And what a lovely, lovely way to celebrate that blessing!

We've visited twice in the late January and mid-Feb time period. If your dates are Presidents Week, it will likely be pretty busy, but don't let that deter you. Even if the pool decks are pretty full there are always lots of loungers on the beach lagoon. We had no problem finding nice pool chairs near the new grotto pool this last January. Aulani is amazing!

As for Pearl Harbor, go to the Trip Advisor Oahu forum. "Dusty" on there is fabulous to post the latest news on obtaining USS Arizona Memorial tickets in advance. Yes, DVC Members do NOT pay the daily parking fee. I recommend doing Pearl Harbor on your own. We did get tickets for early morning (be sure to be aware of rush hour as the traffic is BRUTAL going toward Honolulu at morning rush hour), and after we did the USS Arizona Memorial we bought tickets for the Bowfin submarine and toured it as well. There's LOTS to see and do there and you could easily spend the entire day. It is an experience I recommend to everyone.

Happy planning! Oh! And I looooooooove the horse in your avatar!!

Carissa1970, where did you find that darling map of Oahu?? SO cute! I've looked at lots of maps of the Hawaiian islands online, but don't' recall that one. :thanks:

Aloha BitsnBearsMom!
Wow! What a blessing that you are on your way to being healed of cancer! And what a lovely, lovely way to celebrate that blessing!

We've visited twice in the late January and mid-Feb time period. If your dates are Presidents Week, it will likely be pretty busy, but don't let that deter you. Even if the pool decks are pretty full there are always lots of loungers on the beach lagoon. We had no problem finding nice pool chairs near the new grotto pool this last January. Aulani is amazing!

As for Pearl Harbor, go to the Trip Advisor Oahu forum. "Dusty" on there is fabulous to post the latest news on obtaining USS Arizona Memorial tickets in advance. Yes, DVC Members do NOT pay the daily parking fee. I recommend doing Pearl Harbor on your own. We did get tickets for early morning (be sure to be aware of rush hour as the traffic is BRUTAL going toward Honolulu at morning rush hour), and after we did the USS Arizona Memorial we bought tickets for the Bowfin submarine and toured it as well. There's LOTS to see and do there and you could easily spend the entire day. It is an experience I recommend to everyone.

Happy planning! Oh! And I looooooooove the horse in your avatar!!

Thanks!! Will for sure head over there and check that out - my 16yo is a history buff so pearl harbour is top on his list.

Any other suggestions on what we should see or do while we are there? This will be our first time to Hawaii.

Feeling blessed that I will be well and able to do the trip. Has been a long journey but I will be A-ok very soon!!! :) And the horse is my 16yo's jumper!! Terrifying to watch but love being around the horses!! It is great therapy!!

That thread I mentioned on the other site will give you TONS of great info on Pearl Harbor. Here's the website for the national monument at Pearl Harbor:

http://www.nps.gov/valr/index.htm

The USS Missouri is there to tour, there is an aviation museum among lots of other displays and museums. Most days they will have a WWII survivor there to meet. Pretty awesome stuff. The USS Arizona Memorial was beyond moving. Keep in mind you can bring NO bags of any kind to tour the memorial. NONE. You can bring your phone only if it is turned to silent and you are using it solely as a camera. There is a bag check for a nominal charge there. Fabulous local place to have breakfast that's quite close to Pearl Harbor is the Highway Inn. YUM!

Thanks for the clarification and for this awesome map!
image-jpg.110080

Exactly how far before can you do on line check in for aulani please
"Online Check-In is available 10 days before Check-In. This service allows Members to pre-register for an upcoming stay, and upon arrival, pick up their welcome folder at the designated Online Check-In area in the Resort lobby. " :fish:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter