Aulani: What's the One Thing You Wish You Knew?

I just read through all 33 pages! Thanks so much. I've taken notes.
We plan on going late June 2016.

Any other must do excursions that haven't already been mentioned? Kids will be 8 and 10.

This thread is an invaluable treasure trove of information -- thank you everyone!
We are planning a two-week vacation, first to Aulani and then to Maui. Pearl Harbor is definitely on the list. Would you recommend staying first in Honolulu for one night and then doing the tour -- or would it make any difference if we just started from Aulani anyway?
Also, we are wondering about best recommendations for tours. I know everyone is saying that Island Time will take over. I'm interested in surfing lessons for our daughter, who will be 16, as well as food truck finds, snorkelling excursions and other 'must dos'.
I note that many people have mentioned booking trips through the resort -- when and how did you do this?
I also am looking for info on on-site reservations for dining. How is this done?
Thanks!

I note that many people have mentioned booking trips through the resort -- when and how did you do this?
I also am looking for info on on-site reservations for dining. How is this done?
Thanks!
You can make on-site dining reservation thru Aulani website: https://resorts.disney.go.com/aulani-hawaii-resort/dining/reservation/
Only 2 restaurants are open for reservation. If you are interested in the Character breakfast, definitely book that ahead of time as it is quite popular!
You can book excursion thru Aulani on this website: https://aulaniexcursions.pleasantactivities.com/#/Home
You can also visit their tour desk at Aulani's lobby or Call Pleasant Activities at 1-800-840-6820.
Enjoy!

We booked an excursion after we arrived at the resort. If your travel times are not flexible you might want to book in advance. We have always rented a car and done most excursions on own and paid less for them at the site.

papertraveller, we just got back from Oahu and did surf lessons through West Oahu SUP. They are very convenient to Aulani, just up the road in Waianae. I cannot recommend them enough. They were absolutely wonderful and so kind to our kids. My ds said it was the "best day of his life" learning to surf.

My dh and ds went to Pearl Harbor from Aulani, but not on a tour. FYI, traffic is TERRIBLE from just east of Kapolei all the way to the Pearl/Hickam area in the early mornings. If you don't already have Arizona tickets, then you'll need to leave Aulani VERY early to get in line for the ones they release first thing in the morning. If you don't do a tour, then trying for tickets the day before at 7am is your best bet. My guys spent the ENTIRE day down there doing all the Ford Island and Pearl stuff. My ds enjoyed the Missouri the most.

I made reservations for the character breakfast well before our trip, but I was able to get some non-dinner reservations at Ama Ama at the last minute through the website. We really enjoyed eating at the poolside bar, Off the Hook (which doesn't need a reservation). The food was a little more expensive than the counter service places, but much better and with fruit and veggies for the kids. We ate there a few times, since it meant the kids could get right back to swimming.

We went to Pearl Harbor, on a weekday, and did not find traffic difficult- it keeps moving at the speed limit. We found that following the speed limit is typical (unlike other cities we've visited). We had one (thought it was better than none) advance purchase ticket, but didn't need it. They gave us three tickets for 1:30, which was 2 1/2 hours later, so we left, went to eat nearby (did some shopping at BestBuy and Goodwill [lots of sporting goods for kids, perfect to buy and give away] then returned. Parking can be full but people come and go often. Leave all bags in the car or you'll have to walk them back or pay for a locker.

Go to the north shore, if possible. It's incredibly beautiful, perfect size waves in June/July for children to play and not get beat up. The slope of the sand is perfect too. Wear shoes to walk in the afternoon as the sand gets hot. There are feral chickens all over Hawaii, it's fun to watch them up by the vegetation. Dole plantation is something to see- a total tourist trap, but you'll likely never again see so many pineapple-themed items. Even if you aren't into pineapples, it's right on the way to the north shore, is free parking, and has great lotions to sample. They make you smell like a pineapple, however.

We did not rent a car, so we booked the Pearl Harbor excursion through Aulani. It was great - bus ride with a very entertaining driver!

Jollygreengirl is absolutely spot on about early morning rush hour traffic. We meant to leave by 6:30am for our 8:00am USS Arizona Memorial tickets, but left about 6:45am. Traffic was like a parking lot! If you go later in the morning as it sounds Sur's trip was, you should have little to no issue. It took us over an hour to get to Pearl Harbor from Aulani early in the morning.

How far in advance can you make dining reservations at Aulani? How quickly do restaurants book up?

I've heard conflicting reports about being able to use the mask/snorkel you rent from rainbow reef in the ocean. Do they allow you to take the mask/snorkel with you if you rent for the week? Or do you turn it back in after using it at Rainbow reef? Thank you! (trying to debate buying my kids a mask/snorkel at the convenience store when we arrive or not)

I've heard conflicting reports about being able to use the mask/snorkel you rent from rainbow reef in the ocean. Do they allow you to take the mask/snorkel with you if you rent for the week? Or do you turn it back in after using it at Rainbow reef? Thank you! (trying to debate buying my kids a mask/snorkel at the convenience store when we arrive or not)
You need to return the mask at Rainbow Reef after your snorkel time, but you can get them from Makiki Joe's at the beach and take them offsite. They need to be returned by 5 pm when the shack closes. Even if you have the length of stay pass for Rainbow Reef, the snorkeling equipment must be returned daily.

Thank you Girimama33! When we get them from Makiki Joe's, are they free to use or is there a fee? TIA!! =) This thread is SO helpful!!

Are you a Costco member? There's a Costco and that Big Target (not a SuperTarget, but has lots of groceries plus alcohol for those that want that) just about a 5 minute drive from Aulani.
Can one join Costco in person at the Kapolei store? Or does it take too long so best done at home?

Jtkboston, the Costco's in Hawaii are pretty much exactly as we have on the mainland except that they carry some cool stuff we can't get here at our home Costco. :) The membership desk looks like any other I have ever seen. You should have zero problems joining there at the Kapolei Costco.

hi:
We are planning a trip to Aulani on Feb 21-27. I was wondering is their any shuttles to Pearl Harbor , or do you have to rent a car?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!