Aulani Frustrations

adykate

Mouseketeer
So we checked into Aulani yesterday, and discovered very quickly that the Menehune Bridge area, one of the big reasons we came here, was shut down. We were told it could be just for a couple days, but no one had a definite timeframe. Then we discovered one of the slides was closed...another reason we came here. Today, for most of the day, both slides were closed, at several times the kiddie splash area was closed, and the Menehune Bridge area remained closed. Now, I understand there are lots of other water things to do- different pools, hot tubs and the beach area. But let's be honest, for a substantially lesser cost, I could stay at one of many other area resorts, and have a beach and a couple of pools. We decided to pay more and be at Aulani because of the water area specifically for younger kids and the slides. To say we have been disappointed is an understatement.

We have also been frustrated at how early things close down. The lazy river, that hot tub and beach rentals close at 6pm, along with the pool snack shop and shave ice. The kids were disappointed we couldn't check out any sand toys to play with because it was too close to 6pm when we made it down to the beach. Then we trekked all over the resort trying to find a hot dog after 6pm and were told the only place to get one was by the pool during the day. Maybe it is trivial to complain about that, but we ARE at a kid resort. My kids are horribly picky eaters and besides fruit, won't eat much off of restaurant menus. I guess I was the foolish one to assume I could find a hot dog for dinner after 6pm in a kid oriented place.

It IS a beautiful resort, and we love the 1 bedroom villa we are in. The kids love the pools that are open and playing on the beach. But for the price we are paying, we expected to have use of all, or at least almost all of the facilities. I understand things break or need to have maintenance done, but to have so many of the specialty water things down at the same time is very frustrating. The worst part is at no point in time have I seen anyone actually working on any of these items. Maybe they don't want to make noise during the day? I don't know, but if something is not working to the point it can't be open, then I would think the priority would be to get it up and running asap.

I guess Aulani truly is a Disney business - just like in one of their parks, you pay a premium price but on any given day several main attractions might be closed down.:rolleyes:

That really sucks. I would be fuming. It costs way to much to go there to be so disappointed. Have you spoken to anyone about it? I am not one to go looking for free things but for something like that I would expect a significant discount on our stay. People work too hard for their money and vacation time for that to happen. I could understand one thing but not all that.

Disney often closes attractions to reduce costs and they will reduce hours and attractions when the attendance level is down . Is it possible that the closings are not a maintenance issue?

:earsboy: Bill

Did they give you a reason for why the bridge and the slides were closed (maintenance, accident?) I agree the quick service by the pool closes way too early. When we were there in March, we would grab something to eat across the street from the resort, plus we had a rental car so we we had some groceries (like hot dogs!) and also could drive elsewhere for a more inexpensive meal when we wanted.

In terms of the slide hours I did read this in the last Disney files magazine: "Operating hours recently changed for Aulani pools, slides, whirlpool spas and the Waikolohe Stream. New hours for pool and whirlpool spas are 8 a.m.-8 p.m. daily, while the Waikolohe Stream and slides operate from 8 a.m.-6 p.m. daily. Note that these closing times extend by two hours during select periods. Upcoming dates for extended hours include March 20-April 5 and May 29-Sept. 6." So they do extend the slide and lazy river hours during summer and other busy times like easter.

OP expressed our frustration with Aulani perfectly! We felt that the whole place just shut down too early. If we went off on an excursion and returned to the hotel, we found that there was nothing open. We felt penalized for taking advantage of island activities. For the price that is charged for Aulani, they should have their facilities open until midnight ..... Like any other high end resort. I get it that's it's not Vegas, but geez, it's not the retirement home either. We had the same frustrations with the food issues, as I had one picky eater in my group. Is it really that difficult to keep at least one quick service place open late? It just seemed to us that Aulani had adopted too much of a Hawaiian "hang loose" philosophy.

OP expressed our frustration with Aulani perfectly! We felt that the whole place just shut down too early. If we went off on an excursion and returned to the hotel, we found that there was nothing open. We felt penalized for taking advantage of island activities. For the price that is charged for Aulani, they should have their facilities open until midnight ..... Like any other high end resort. I get it that's it's not Vegas, but geez, it's not the retirement home either. We had the same frustrations with the food issues, as I had one picky eater in my group. Is it really that difficult to keep at least one quick service place open late? It just seemed to us that Aulani had adopted too much of a Hawaiian "hang loose" philosophy.
The Ulu Cafe is open to 9pm and offers pizza, a hot entree item, rice, soup and grab and go sandwiches. -- Suzanne

I have not yet spoken to guest services about my frustrations. I am not one to complain about little things, and I wanted to give it a couple days to see if the closures continued before speaking to some one. I plan to talk to them this afternoon if we encounter the same number of closures today.

I know the bridge area is closed due to "some" issue, as when I asked a CM about it they said it had been drained that morning and they were working on "something". It was expected to be back "sometime in the next few days". I do not know about the issues for the slides or periodic closures of the splash area. While I have never been here before, to compare crowd levels, I can say that finding an open chair is challenging, and the it is like bumper boats in the lazy river much of the day. But it could seem more crowded than it actually is just because everyone is funneled into fewer areas due to the closures.

Yes, we do have a rental car so we have picked up groceries. We just had not gotten a chance to get hot dogs yet (didn't need a 50 pack from Costco ;). We do plan to eat in our room more often than not, but it was just frustrating to have limited options to begin with, and then have some of them closed so early.

We won't let this ruin our trip, and plan to have another fun day at the pools and beach. I just wondered if anyone else had encountered similar issues while visiting Aulani.

I can totally understand your frustration, Adykate. As SuzanneSLO said, Ulu Cafe is open later, as are both lounges and AMA AMA. The lounges each have a variety of finger foods, and it seems Off the Hook tends to have more of the pool menu offerings, though not hot dogs as I recall.

As for the closings, I know that is maddening and I agree there needs to be an explanation, but Disney is big on safety so if there is any issue of any kind that needs addressing, I am not surprised they closed down the entire area. Same for the slides. If they're working on one, it's highly possible that they might have to close the other. Sometimes closings happen because a guest has done something….um, stupid. Like a swim diaper getting sucked into an intake in a pool area. Or what-have-you. Sometimes it's just routine maintenance.

WDW has closings of all kinds all the time, and it is always going to impact someone. It just always stinks when it happens on your vacation.

The ABC Store across from Aulani (you can easily walk) has a good assortments of eats as well. I hope all the Waikolohe Valley water features are up and running very soon for you and your family to enjoy!! If your kids haven't done the Menehune Scavenger Hunt, be sure to check out a handheld and do that. It's great fun for all ages and a great distraction if the pool features are still down. Oh! A fun fact for you…shhhhh. It's a secret…… go to Kalepa Store, turn around and walk across the hall, just to the right a bit toward the main entrance, to that open air "room". It has some seating I think, but look for a little chest of drawers with a keyhole at the top. Have your kids get down and look into that keyhole and have them tell you what they see. Then YOU get down on a knee and take a look! SO fun!!!! When I was there early this year, that's where this special little piece of furniture was. If you can't find it, ask in Kalepa Store. The CM's will know. :flower:

When we were at Aulani in October of 2014, the slides and lazy river were closed because someone had a bowel movement accident in the either the slide or the lazy river. It was closed for a day and half as they replaced the water and until the new water tested clean of any bacteria. The CM said it happens in all the pools, hot tubs and even the Menehune Bridge play area. The CM said it was nice when a guest reports the accident. Aulani would not say when the area would be reopened they gave a time range like the OP was told.

There are restaurants nearby that would probably sell items your son would eat like Monkey Pod or the pizza or taco places down the street. Even the ABC market sell food. Keep in mind that the menus are also made to attract Hawaiians not just mainlanders.

Here is the menu from the Ulu Cafe which is open until 9:00 PM. I would think a lot of kids would eat chicken strips.

DSCN2336_zps85dfa6cf.jpg

WDW has closings of all kinds all the time, and it is always going to impact someone. It just always stinks when it happens on your vacation.

I agree with this.... but at WDW- you usually can find out in advance. I am really getting worried about this sort of thing for our upcoming trip. First Aunty's was shut down for a week, then the beach was all blocked off and now this- all without any warning or notice? We have the Menhunhue Bridge cabanas reserved for 2 of our days (or at least that is what I requested- if we end up at the family pool, it'd be okay). If the bridge is going to be shut down, I would like to know so I could change my request. I booked the cabanas 10 months in advance, so I gotta guess I am high up in the line.... but if I wait to get there to switch my request, it might be too late. OP I am really sorry and I hope you complain at Guest Services. For as expensive as Aulani is, major things should not be shut down without notice or compensation- and I have never complained at a resort or restaurant in my life.

My daughter is what we call a pool pooper. Something about the water.... We know this about her and so even though she is normally potty trained, she still wears a swim diaper (she's 3). We make her go ahead of time, which helps, but often the water gets things moving. As soon as we know she went, we get her out and change her... But think of a tea bag. I've seen them clear the pool at our swim lessons over a dozen times (not for her thankfully) although they don't drain it (gross....). So, I could totally see if someone else has a pool pooper, unbeknownst to them, yeah, it could totally happen that there is major accidents with no swim diaper on.

I agree with this.... but at WDW- you usually can find out in advance. I am really getting worried about this sort of thing for our upcoming trip. First Aunty's was shut down for a week, then the beach was all blocked off and now this- all without any warning or notice?

FYI: Aunty's Beach house was not "closed down" for a week. Kids and their parents could still enter and make use of Aunty's facilities while the bath rooms were being repaired. It was only the drop-off service that had to be temporarily curtailed for several days until the bath rooms at Aunty's were being fixed.

True- and I know it was bathroom issues, but when you travel to Hawaii expecting to be able to drop off your child so you can have some adult time, this would be a shock to anyone I think. It was shut down for the purpose I intend to use it for. Not just no big deal. Did they have the classes still? Like the volcano and space goo stuff? I would guess they had to cancel the premium experiences like Surfs Up with Chip and Dale that people had prepaid for. I just think people affected by these sudden extended closures have every right to be unhappy.

Nalajms, unfortunately, and oh-my-gracious-that's-GROSS, I've seen "tootsie rolls" in pools or known of them closing because of the same all over the place, including WDW. We were at the Westin Villas on Maui our first ever trip to Hawaii, and I looked over and saw the unspeakable. Yep. One of THOSE pool shutting down tootsies. :crazy2::crazy2::crazy2: We got our family out as quickly as possible and reported it. The pool has to be shut down.

I am the mom of 3, but it amazes me how many people INSIST on bringing their babies/toddler in swim diapers in the pool. Little ones are going to "go" in their britches. It's just what little ones do. They DOO. :sad2: Didn't DCL recently begin a policy of no swim diapers in their pools for this very reason? (I may be mistaken, but that's what I'm remembering, that swim diapers are only allowed in the kiddie splash areas)

Trust me folks, if you've not yet seen a pool have to be shut down, it's only a matter of time. Heck, in my little village which is very nice, our pools get shut down for the same reason. Not to be a meanie, but I think little ones that aren't FULLY potty trained should not be allowed in pools, just splash areas. Some may say I'm a meanie, but it's is not fair to the masses. Disney is pretty good about having splash areas for those cute little people.

And as a DVC Member for 22 years, I can tell you there have been a good number of times that I arrived to find things closed, either briefly or for our entire stay of which I had NO previous notification. It happens. If folks can be notified, I agree wholeheartedly they should be. It's just that this is not always possible. I think what makes things like this happening at Aulani seem worse is that for most of us, it is a very, very long flight to get there.

So we checked in Friday, it is now Tuesday, and as of last night the bridge was still closed, as was 1 of the slides and a small part of the pool area where that slide exits . We were told by a CM that when the current closed slide was up and running (in a couple days from Monday), they planned on closing the other one (that has mostly been open since our arrival). Which makes it sound like these are all scheduled maintenance. If they do in fact close the current slide when the other one opens, and the bridge area remains down, there will be no slides my young kids can go on, as they won't go down the dark, enclosed one by themselves. Several CM's we have spoken to about the bridge area say they were told it would open Tuesday...but none of them seemed to think that was going to happen.

I did go speak with one of the concierge CM's about our frustrations over closures yesterday. I just asked if it was common for so much to be closed down, as that would deter us from making future reservations. I was told no, it is not common for so much to be down. That this "use" to be a slow season so they do tend to do maintenance during this time. But lately there is no low season, so yes, they were almost at capacity right now, but still doing maintenance. I told him I understood they need to work on things, but if they know ahead of time they are closing certain attractions at a particular time, they should post that on their site. They also shouldn't close two main things down at a time, unless it was a safety issue. As a parent of young kids, it would be nice to know if the attractions I am coming there mostly for are going to be closed. I would plan to come another time. For people who don't care about those attractions, they could book that time. When planning our vacation we debated between Atlantis and Aulani. Aulani won out due to the higher number of activities geared for younger kids, the main one being the Menehune Bridge and gentler slides. I also commented on the early closure of food places and pool areas. He said to be sure to comment on that when filling out their post trip survey. He said he hears that a lot, and the CM's who stay there have commented on it, so the more people who comment the more likely it will change. I told him I was happy to do that. He was very nice, and very understanding, and it appeared he was very prepared to have this type of conversation (as in it had been happening a lot with other guests). He offered to comp our parking for the week, which was way beyond what I would have ever expected them to do. It was a wonderful, unexpected compensation, but in the end, we would have rather had full use of the facilities ;).

A side note...At the main pool yesterday we saw a toddler throw up right in front of us on the side of the pool (did not appear to go IN the pool thank goodness!). I offered to the dad to find someone to have them clean up, as the dad had the look of "Oh god! What do I do?!". I went over to the bar area and told a waitress, as the closest lifeguard was across the pool and would take longer to get to. Long story short, it took almost 15 minutes for someone to come over and put a sign over it so it wasn't stepped in, and that was after I told a second waitress, and finally a lifeguard. Once someone came and put a sign on it and stood by it, it was another 10 minutes before housekeeping came to clean it. I was just shocked that they don't have a better system in place when accidents like that happen. It was just very odd it wasn't dealt with quicker, and not to mention stinky, lol!

Anyway, we have had a great time in the pools. river, and on the beach. All of the staff have been very friendly. I wish our kids would adjust better to the time change because that has been brutal for them and we have not been able to do as much as we had hoped because of them falling asleep mid day or being out cold in the evening. We just need to come back for longer than a week next time so if things are closed they will hopefully be up before we had to leave ;).

Adykate, you got more than we did. We couldn't use aunties for 4 out of our 6 days and we got comped rainbow reef :rolleyes1. Like, if we really can have adult time if the kids spend 5 minutes snorkeling

Please keep us posted on the opening/closing of these features! Parking is nice, but I agree- not as good as having the facilities open.

I totally agree about the lack of kid food after 6. One night I wandered around the resort trying to find a burger or hot dog to take back to the room for my son at 6:15 with no success. The options at Ulu Cafe were very limited.

I agree with all the previous posters who have said that the closures are beyond frustrating. We have been here since Friday, and my kids have been really disappointed by the Menehune Bridge closure. We asked a CM when we arrived when it would be open, and she said Monday. That day has come and gone and it doesn't look any closer to being open. She said it was something about resurfacing the bottom due to repeated problems with slipping, so it doesn't sound as if this closure was spur of the moment. If I would have known ahead of time, I could have prepared my kids for the closure. Instead, they watched the Menehune Bridge videos a million times before we left and were totally looking forward to playing on it. :( Plus, with one water slide being closed as well, the lines are reaallllly long for the one that is open, and the main pool is much more crowded due to the crowds not being able to disperse throughout the various areas. (I was told that at the beginning of our trip the resort was at 80% occupancy and that it would continue to rise throughout the week, so it's definitely not a slow period.)

That said, the resort is beautiful, The kids have LOVED Aunty's, and overall we are having a wonderful time. I just wish we would have been given a heads up as to the closures before we arrived (and not been given conflicting/inaccurate info with regard to opening).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter