Aulani expansion worries.....

All the walled areas were there in Dec when we visited and it doesn't look any busier as far as construction goes.

My guess on the point credit issue is due to the timing of the initial announcement. Those that were scheduled to go by the end of 2012 didn't have time to reschedule where as those going in 2013 did or at least knew about the construction early enough to be able to reschedule.

I was there 1/18-1/25, the non-tube slide was closed for half the trip, then they switched, and the tube slide was closed for half the trip. Now, both slides are open and they're closing the menehune bridge.

I don't think it had anything to do with the expansion construction.

As I've mentioned in another thread, I think this time if year is considered off-season, and this is when they are going to do maintenance. It's like going to WDW this time of year. The crowds are low, but big thunder might be closed.

For what it's worth, the photos posted earlier are a little misleading. Most places there is no construction visible. It is unsightly and occasionally noisy where it's taking place, but it didn't stop us from having one of our best vacations ever.

I agree with your post above. I don't think the slide closure had anything to do with the other construction.

We still had a great time in December and can't wait to return in June 2014.

Got back early last week from our Kauai & Oahu trip. We spent 4 nights at Aulani January 16th-20th. While I believe they did a beautiful job with the resort and the common areas the current construction and other "broken" items were more than I expected. We could hear the construction equipment while relaxing by the pool during the weekdays. Additionally, the 2nd slide and "waterfall" area of the pool was down the entire time we were there.

For your "inconvenience" due to the construction they give you a pin upon check-in. I don't ask for a lot nor do I expect anything above and beyond but for the amount of construction the pin seemed somewhat like an "insult" (And yes I let Disney know on the survey we received once back home). Even a $20.00 voucher for breakfast, etc. would have been better in lieu of a cheap pin made in China.

Bottom line - we will be back but not till after they finish the bulk of the construction. I think they should have only focused on one area of a time. Not only do you only have one pool to "choose" from but when you eat at AMA AMA the ambience is gone with the amount of construction walls.

[/IMG]

I could not agree more. We were there at the same time, returned February 1st. The construction was WAY more than I'd expected and I agree that I felt like the pin was an insult. We could not hang out at the beach without hearing the constant weekday jackhammering or 'beep-beep' of backing up trucks or heavy construction noise. Yes, it was a big inconvenience to not have the quiet pool or the water slide or countless other things. But the noise of the construction that was going on both sides is what got to us the most. We used extra points to have an ocean view villa and couldn't go out on the balcony during the day because of the noise - it travelled up and echoed and we'd hear it from both sides. Very, very disappointing trip to Aulani. I'd like to go back sometime but now I'm hesitant because I wouldn't want to deal with that again.

So what exactly are they doing??? I just called and the lady said they are expanding the pool deck, but this looks and sounds like alot more than expanding part of the pool deck. It looks like there is something going on on both sides of the resort-urgh. We will be there March 15th....I really wish we knew months ago it was going to be this bad, we would have canceled the trip!!! Now it seems like we are stuck going with all this construction. We planned on spending almost all of our time at the resort. Now I'm really starting to worry!!!!

Erika

So what exactly are they doing??? I just called and the lady said they are expanding the pool deck, but this looks and sounds like alot more than expanding part of the pool deck. It looks like there is something going on on both sides of the resort-urgh. We will be there March 15th....I really wish we knew months ago it was going to be this bad, we would have canceled the trip!!! Now it seems like we are stuck going with all this construction. We planned on spending almost all of our time at the resort. Now I'm really starting to worry!!!!

Erika

On the Waianae side they are adding a kids splash pool/grotto area and snack place. From what we have been told that is now delayed completion until Fall 2013. I can see why it is delayed, the workers seem to move at a snails pace. We can see the construction area from our room and they stand around a lot and take a lot of breaks. This is true on the Menehune Bridge which is being repaired. We watched a worker sitting on the ground for an hour reading newspapers and magazines -- and no it wasn't lunch time.

Sure seems like Disney corporate needs to get a better handle on all this construction. We visit WDW frequently and have never seen this kind of approach to construction at that location!

Also, they are building another pathway to the beach from the Ewa side in front of Ama Ama (I'm wondering why in the world a second beach access wasn't part of the original build of Aulani?!). So the problem with construction noise is that you can't get away from it because it surrounds you on the pool decks and whether you go to the right side of the beach or the left side of the beach construction noise follows you. Sure seems like the construction in front of Ama Ama should be done, though, by the time you arrive.

That's interesting that on the phone they told you all it included was a deck expansion. But we have found that when you ask a CM a question here at Aulani you have no idea whether the answer is accurate. We will ask other CMs the same question and get totally different answers.

The construction can be really frustrating but I will say that thank goodness Aulani is an absolutely gorgeous place. Your vacation may not be as perfect as you planned due to the construction but if you are like us you will still have a lovely time.

Does anyone have any recent updates about the Menehune Bridge repairs? The Aulani website states that the repairs were due to be completed February 8, but from the posts here, it seems like it may still be ongoing. I'm going in March with an almost 4 year old and it would be more than a minor bummer for us if this attraction wasn't available!

We are here now the Menehune Bridge is still closed and looks like it will be for awhile. We do not see anyone working on it today.

We are here now the Menehune Bridge is still closed and looks like it will be for awhile. We do not see anyone working on it today.

This is such a bummer! They are doing repairs on Hawaii time....while the rest of us would really like to enjoy all these things when we are spending our time in Hawaii!!!

Erika

I noticed a few constructions guys off and on around the bridge today. Seemed to be sporatic.

I'm in Ewa and, although I can hear the construction, it's not an unsightly sound to me. And I've been around my room off and on quite a bit today by choice and have had my doors open. As pixie said, it started about 7 this morning and I'm hearing some hammering off and on. There was a singer/band at about 7:15 down outside one of the restaurants that I could hear that annoyed me more than the construction because it was so early. I guess it's what you make of it. I came on this trip with a positive mindset and I'm keeping it that way. So the construction isn't bothering me. I could be home hearing my snow blower or the sound of freezing rain instead.

This is such a bummer! They are doing repairs on Hawaii time....while the rest of us would really like to enjoy all these things when we are spending our time in Hawaii!!!

Erika

Couldn't agree with you more. It is very frustrating! All the CMs I talk to also say that the construction crews move very, very slowly. This slow pace would never be acceptable at other Disney locations. Don't understand why it is acceptable here.

My kids are quite disappointed that they don't get to try out the Menehune Bridge after being excited about it for 8 months! By the time we are able to afford to come back to Aulani my kids will most likely be too old to try the bridge. So, I do wish the Aulani staff would put a little more urgency into repairs.

As I stated in another post, watching the workers sit around and read newspapers and drink coffee rather than working is quite frustrating.

Website now says Feb 13 as well... fingers crossed!

I walked by the bridge today and stopped to check out the work. One of the workers smiled at me and gave me the hang loose sign. So I motioned to him and asked if the Bridge would indeed be opened back up on Wednesday. Sadly he said it would not re-open on Wednesday.

So bummed. My kids really want to try this out but it doesn't look we are going to get to.

Very frustrating that they said it would reopen on 2/7, then changed it to 2/9, then changed it to 2/13. And it still won't be open. Doesn't seem right to keep giving us dates and then not meeting them.

Three days ago I spoke to a manager and to my shock he guaranteed me that the bridge would be open on Wednesday. I was very surprised that he would make that kind of commitment. He said if it wasn't that I could ask for him specifically to come and explain why it wasn't open. Hmmm, wondering if I should do that.

On the Waianae side they are adding a kids splash pool/grotto area and snack place. From what we have been told that is now delayed completion until Fall 2013. I can see why it is delayed, the workers seem to move at a snails pace. We can see the construction area from our room and they stand around a lot and take a lot of breaks. This is true on the Menehune Bridge which is being repaired. We watched a worker sitting on the ground for an hour reading newspapers and magazines -- and no it wasn't lunch time.

Sure seems like Disney corporate needs to get a better handle on all this construction. We visit WDW frequently and have never seen this kind of approach to construction at that location!

Also, they are building another pathway to the beach from the Ewa side in front of Ama Ama (I'm wondering why in the world a second beach access wasn't part of the original build of Aulani?!). So the problem with construction noise is that you can't get away from it because it surrounds you on the pool decks and whether you go to the right side of the beach or the left side of the beach construction noise follows you. Sure seems like the construction in front of Ama Ama should be done, though, by the time you arrive.

That's interesting that on the phone they told you all it included was a deck expansion. But we have found that when you ask a CM a question here at Aulani you have no idea whether the answer is accurate. We will ask other CMs the same question and get totally different answers.

The construction can be really frustrating but I will say that thank goodness Aulani is an absolutely gorgeous place. Your vacation may not be as perfect as you planned due to the construction but if you are like us you will still have a lovely time.

That's ridiculous! If that's true then we'll likely be canceling our cabana in August (unless the noisiest part of the construction is over with by then). :( You would think that Disney would lean on this construction crew a little harder. Perhaps the guests aren't complaining loudly enough about the situation?! :confused3

I walked by the bridge today and stopped to check out the work. One of the workers smiled at me and gave me the hang loose sign. So I motioned to him and asked if the Bridge would indeed be opened back up on Wednesday. Sadly he said it would not re-open on Wednesday.

I think that the worker pretty much showed you the issue, Hawaii is the hang loose State. Laid back, they will get it done when they get it done. :sad1:

:earsboy: Bill

I think that the worker pretty much showed you the issue, Hawaii is the hang loose State. Laid back, they will get it done when they get it done. :sad1:

:earsboy: Bill

Exactly what we witnessed while we were there.. Hard to relate..

My kids have barely noticed the menehune bridge being down. They have enjoyed the lazy river and the pool and lagoon so much. No complaints here!

I have noticed the same thing as pixie in regards to the slowness of them moving on the construction side. I wondered what they were doing over by the firepit when I heard a lot of hammering on Monday.

I have to say I was gone most of yesterday and most of today. But I did notice the beeping of the trucks this morning more than yesterday. However, I came with a certain mindset, positive, and won't let it bother me. Monday I stayed around my room a lot and noticed it but tuned it out. I'll be here one more day hanging around the room and then on Sunday as well until I leave for the airport. The other two days I'll be out exploring. I'm just determined to not let it bother me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter