Aulani expansion worries.....

We are here now & are interested in what to come this afternoon (it's 6:11a right now)

We have a cabana reservation but may just cancel it if its not too busy poolside.

We shall see

Ok guys, I admit it, the jackhammers are real loud today. We are still enjoying ourselves though! The characters are out with their Halloween costumes on and the staff are real accommodating

We are here now & are interested in what to come this afternoon (it's 6:11a right now)

We have a cabana reservation but may just cancel it if its not too busy poolside.

We shall see

Hope you both are enjoying Aulani as much as DW and I did 7 weeks ago! Any pics you can post will be appreciated. If either of you get a chance to try Roy's restaurant near Aulani, it will be worth your while. We liked it much better than Ama Ama! There is also a small grocery store across the road from Aulani back behind what looks like a jewelry store. The intersection leads back to a condo and there are two small restaurants there as well (a taco place and a BBQ place). There are pre-made and ready made QS type food items at the grocery store that we kept in the room for snacks. The two restaurants aren't there for their ambience but the food was good and very reasonably priced. Have fun!

LisaT91403 said:
Is the jackhammer noise bad everywhere you go outside? All pool areas as well as beach? Just trying to set my expectations, as we arrive in one week.

I did not notice the jackhammer noise by the beach mostly by the main pool. They have closed the main entrance to the beach and created a new one while they are doing construction in that area. I will try to post some pics.

Just checking in to see how the jackhammers were coming along this week! Is anyone there now? I'm trying not to worry about it for our Saturday arrival, but it's hard not to.

Just got back and can concur with what most folks have said. The construction is mostly noticable in the section by the cabana's. We noticed the contruction was widing in the week we were there. They had put up more walls and things down towards the beach.

We did have cabana #4 but did it on the weekend when there wasn't much construction going on.

We will be there in just over a month and wanted to know how the construction work is going. Does anyone have recent photos? Any updates as to whether DVC points will be partially refunded for stays in February.

We will be there in just over a month and wanted to know how the construction work is going. Does anyone have recent photos? Any updates as to whether DVC points will be partially refunded for stays in February.
I'd like to know that as well. From the photos posted earlier in the month, I can say the construction definitely ruins the feel of the resort. HATE all those wood fences everywhere. I too was wondering if we are going to get any point refunds in February.

I have a few from early dec but still need to upload them. There were lots of areas where you don't even know there is construction going on and then other areas where it's obvious but wasn't terrible. The most inconvenient and obvious was the area to get down to the beach but my guess is that should be finishing up soon. The new water play area has a ways to go though and the GV they are converting to the food service was gutted so a ways to go there too.

Got back early last week from our Kauai & Oahu trip. We spent 4 nights at Aulani January 16th-20th. While I believe they did a beautiful job with the resort and the common areas the current construction and other "broken" items were more than I expected. We could hear the construction equipment while relaxing by the pool during the weekdays. Additionally, the 2nd slide and "waterfall" area of the pool was down the entire time we were there.

For your "inconvenience" due to the construction they give you a pin upon check-in. I don't ask for a lot nor do I expect anything above and beyond but for the amount of construction the pin seemed somewhat like an "insult" (And yes I let Disney know on the survey we received once back home). Even a $20.00 voucher for breakfast, etc. would have been better in lieu of a cheap pin made in China.

Bottom line - we will be back but not till after they finish the bulk of the construction. I think they should have only focused on one area of a time. Not only do you only have one pool to "choose" from but when you eat at AMA AMA the ambience is gone with the amount of construction walls.

The pin you get for the construction inconvenience:
IMG_0124.jpg

Some construction photos (I took a few while out swimming in the lagoon and from a distant the construction walls looked a bit like graffiti):
P1170272.jpg

P1170271.jpg

P1170270.jpg

P1170268.jpg

P1170267.jpg

P1170189.jpg

P1170188.jpg

P1170185.jpg

P1170184.jpg

P1170177.jpg

P1170178.jpg

P1170175.jpg

P1170174.jpg

Got back early last week from our Kauai & Oahu trip. We spent 4 nights at Aulani January 16th-20th. While I believe they did a beautiful job with the resort and the common areas the current construction and other "broken" items were more than I expected. We could hear the construction equipment while relaxing by the pool during the weekdays. Additionally, the 2nd slide and "waterfall" area of the pool was down the entire time we were there.

For your "inconvenience" due to the construction they give you a pin upon check-in. I don't ask for a lot nor do I expect anything above and beyond but for the amount of construction the pin seemed somewhat like an "insult" (And yes I let Disney know on the survey we received once back home). Even a $20.00 voucher for breakfast, etc. would have been better in lieu of a cheap pin made in China.

Bottom line - we will be back but not till after they finish the bulk of the construction. I think they should have only focused on one area of a time. Not only do you only have one pool to "choose" from but when you eat at AMA AMA the ambience is gone with the amount of construction walls.
Bummer of a stay.... So, did they give you any points credit for DVC points or did you pay cash?

We returned on 1/25 and just received the pin and no points back. We didn't let it spoil our vacation, but at times it was annoying.

Based on those pictures, the construction noise you heard, having slide and waterfall not working, etc. that sure seems like more than a minor here's-a-pin inconvenience.

From what I've read in other posts from people who stayed in late 2012, it sure seems like the expansion disruptions are worse now than they were then. And considering that guests were given credits/refunds during that time, it seems to me those staying in Jan/Feb should for sure be getting more than a pin. Credits seem very appropriate to me.

Unless I'm wrong, when some guests were given credits that huge "grafiti" wall was not in place and the huge construction vehicles were not parked in front of the grand villas. I agree that they should have spaced the expansion out over different times.

This just really isn't fair to visitors considering that Hawaii obviously is a much more expensive flight for most than a trip to WDW or DL, Aulani is all you got for Disney on the island so it isn't like WDW where you can head to other pools/resorts to get away from the construction, the points per night are much higher than what it costs at other DVC resorts so you are spending more, not to mention the fact that for many guests this is a once in a lifetime trip.

We are heading to Aulani this month and I must say I am very disappointed in how Disney has been handling the construction. Sure seems like they should have thought through the building of the resort better so that a huge expansion like this was not needed a mere 1.5 years after the grand opening.

We have been planning this trip in our minds ever since DVC first reported that Aulani was happening. We purposely waited to take the trip until 1.5 years had passed from opening because we thought that would assure any kinks of the resort would be worked out by then. We had no idea when we booked that this expansion would be happening.

I hope you were still able to thoroughly enjoy your trip and I hope our trip isn't totally dampened by the loud noises and unsightly construction views.

Did they say why the waterslide was closed? I recall (when we went back in November) that we were told all of the pools, slides, etc. were to remain open during the construction. Having the slide closed would have been a big disappointment for our family.

Did they say why the waterslide was closed? I recall (when we went back in November) that we were told all of the pools, slides, etc. were to remain open during the construction. Having the slide closed would have been a big disappointment for our family.

They stated it was broken. The other slide that dumps you into the lazy river was running fine our entire trip.

We did a spa day on Saturday and while we were enjoying the spa "garden" we couldn't enjoy the jacuzzi or the cold dip "pool" as those were also not working.

We still had a good time but Disney definitely needs to get that construction and other bugs in order. The food was "ok" and for the price should have been much better. Next time we will go offsite for more of our meals.

I was there 1/18-1/25, the non-tube slide was closed for half the trip, then they switched, and the tube slide was closed for half the trip. Now, both slides are open and they're closing the menehune bridge.

I don't think it had anything to do with the expansion construction.

As I've mentioned in another thread, I think this time if year is considered off-season, and this is when they are going to do maintenance. It's like going to WDW this time of year. The crowds are low, but big thunder might be closed.

For what it's worth, the photos posted earlier are a little misleading. Most places there is no construction visible. It is unsightly and occasionally noisy where it's taking place, but it didn't stop us from having one of our best vacations ever.

For what it's worth, the photos posted earlier are a little misleading.

The photos I posted? If so we will have to agree to disagree. I could post the other pictures of non construction but this thread was regarding information on the current construction.

While sitting anywhere around the main pool construction walls are present. While swimming/spending time at the beach and lagoon the construction walls are present. While eating at AMA AMA the construction walls were viewable and present. While walking/spending time at the snorkeling reef the construction walls were present.

I enjoyed Aulani but it isn't up to par, with all the construction, with the various other Disney DVC Resorts. One area under construction no biggie but you had two major areas under construction where most of the guests go to relax and enjoy a view of the ocean.

I was there 1/18-1/25, the non-tube slide was closed for half the trip, then they switched, and the tube slide was closed for half the trip. Now, both slides are open and they're closing the menehune bridge.

I don't think it had anything to do with the expansion construction.

As I've mentioned in another thread, I think this time if year is considered off-season, and this is when they are going to do maintenance. It's like going to WDW this time of year. The crowds are low, but big thunder might be closed.

I guess that makes sense, but there's a big difference between a ride being closed (there are dozens of others to go on, as well as more than one park to visit), and the [one and only] Menehune Bridge being closed. Our 4 year old spent about 80-90% of his "pool time" on that bridge, and I'm not exactly sure what he would have been doing all week if it had been closed. It really would have changed our vacation, as the bridge allowed us (the parents) some "down time" to relax while our son had a blast.

LisaT: Yeah, I certainly see your point. I guess they just need to plan and announce these things way in advance to avoid disappointment.

Anjelica: yes, I was referring to your photos... What I meant by misleading was they they don't show the other majority of the areas that are pristine and beautiful. They do accurately represent the construction areas, and I guess that is what the thread is about, as you say. I just want people who are already booked to know it's not all bad... quite the opposite in fact. Most of the resort is just as stunning as one would hope.

Based on those pictures, the construction noise you heard, having slide and waterfall not working, etc. that sure seems like more than a minor here's-a-pin inconvenience.

From what I've read in other posts from people who stayed in late 2012, it sure seems like the expansion disruptions are worse now than they were then. And considering that guests were given credits/refunds during that time, it seems to me those staying in Jan/Feb should for sure be getting more than a pin. Credits seem very appropriate to me.

Unless I'm wrong, when some guests were given credits that huge "grafiti" wall was not in place and the huge construction vehicles were not parked in front of the grand villas. I agree that they should have spaced the expansion out over different times.

This just really isn't fair to visitors considering that Hawaii obviously is a much more expensive flight for most than a trip to WDW or DL, Aulani is all you got for Disney on the island so it isn't like WDW where you can head to other pools/resorts to get away from the construction, the points per night are much higher than what it costs at other DVC resorts so you are spending more, not to mention the fact that for many guests this is a once in a lifetime trip.

We are heading to Aulani this month and I must say I am very disappointed in how Disney has been handling the construction. Sure seems like they should have thought through the building of the resort better so that a huge expansion like this was not needed a mere 1.5 years after the grand opening.

We have been planning this trip in our minds ever since DVC first reported that Aulani was happening. We purposely waited to take the trip until 1.5 years had passed from opening because we thought that would assure any kinks of the resort would be worked out by then. We had no idea when we booked that this expansion would be happening.

I hope you were still able to thoroughly enjoy your trip and I hope our trip isn't totally dampened by the loud noises and unsightly construction views.

Totally agree! I think it is strange that they gave back points and cash in 2012 when it appers the construction is worse (or at least no better) right now. Wish I could reschedule our trip for May. But airfare and non-refundable hotel nights have already been arranged. I decided to go ahead and rent a car. We will probably do more sightseeing and meals away from the resort if the construction is too big of an annoyance. I hate the pictures from the beach looking up to the valley of the resort. It looks pretty bad to me. I know we will have a great time being in Hawaii. We just may spend a lot less time at the resort then I had planned.

I guess that makes sense, but there's a big difference between a ride being closed (there are dozens of others to go on, as well as more than one park to visit), and the [one and only] Menehune Bridge being closed. Our 4 year old spent about 80-90% of his "pool time" on that bridge, and I'm not exactly sure what he would have been doing all week if it had been closed. It really would have changed our vacation, as the bridge allowed us (the parents) some "down time" to relax while our son had a blast.

Excellent point. Test Track was under construction on our last WDW trip. No biggie, we will be back again and it is only one attraction out of hundreds at WDW. But that is not the same as a stand alone resort missing numerous use key attractions at the same time. Also, Aulani is not in Honolulu or on Waikiki Beach. So there isn't much to do in the area besides the resort, unless you rent a car.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter