Aulani expansion worries.....

Beachbumpirates said:
Pakey - can I ask your opinion since you are there now? We are not DVC Members - I booked thru AA Vacations for Oct 12 arrival. AA has offered to move us to another hotel due to the construction and the fact that they cannot credit us the 2 nights. Would you stay at Aulani with the construction? Or let them move us to another property in Waikiki? I appreciate your opinions. Thanks and enjoy!

Right now the construction is minimal. I would have been happy with my stay even without getting 2 nights back in points. However, I spoke with a CM and the expansion of the adult pool area will start in October. Once that starts, I would imagine the noise at the family pool (which is next to adult pool) and the spa garden area (which is in front of adult pool) could be worse. I also think those staying with views on outside of the wing will hear it from balconies.

Also, the Marriott next door was starting some outside work yesterday that was a bit noisy while at the adult pool (not sure if it would be heard elsewhere). I have no idea if it was a one day project of if they are renovating too.

We are adults only so my opinion is from that slant. The family pool and kids' section are very good and will be fully open. However, as adults only, we have stayed at better resorts. The beach area at Aulani is better than Waikiki because it's never crowded. So I think my decision to stay at Aulani or move to another resort would depend on what my vacation plans were and what my other resort options were. I've been to Hawaii many times so I spend most time at resort now.

There is an article on the DVCNews showing some of the construction occurring at Aulani this week. Click here to jump to the article.

Well, due to a back pain issue that has temporarily left me in a wheelchair, I have had to cancel my Aulani stay for next month--so I guess the construction won't bother me after all. Hopefully I'll be up and around soon, and can look at rebooking next February or March. (Won't get two free nights' points though=--rats!)

Right now the construction is minimal. I would have been happy with my stay even without getting 2 nights back in points. However, I spoke with a CM and the expansion of the adult pool area will start in October. Once that starts, I would imagine the noise at the family pool (which is next to adult pool) and the spa garden area (which is in front of adult pool) could be worse. I also think those staying with views on outside of the wing will hear it from balconies.

Also, the Marriott next door was starting some outside work yesterday that was a bit noisy while at the adult pool (not sure if it would be heard elsewhere). I have no idea if it was a one day project of if they are renovating too.

We are adults only so my opinion is from that slant. The family pool and kids' section are very good and will be fully open. However, as adults only, we have stayed at better resorts. The beach area at Aulani is better than Waikiki because it's never crowded. So I think my decision to stay at Aulani or move to another resort would depend on what my vacation plans were and what my other resort options were. I've been to Hawaii many times so I spend most time at resort now.

When you say kids section are you hearing that the splash pad will be open in October too or just the pool, lazy river, and water slide?

Thank you!:beach:

Well, due to a back pain issue that has temporarily left me in a wheelchair, I have had to cancel my Aulani stay for next month--so I guess the construction won't bother me after all. Hopefully I'll be up and around soon, and can look at rebooking next February or March. (Won't get two free nights' points though=--rats!)

Sorry to hear you have to postpone your trip Cheryl. I hope you feel better soon.

Hope you are feeling better soon. Maybe you can be there in February with us! We just got a lovely welcome packet from Aulani for our Feb. visit. Oh, and no mention at all of any construction during our stay.

DVCNews.com has another article about construction projects at Aulani that will be starting in October. Click here to jump to the article.

:offtopic:One of the highlights of our trip last January was our daily swims with Lucky, the turtle, in the cove in front of Aulani. The biologists at the sting ray area named him Lucky because he's missing a fin and they presumed he survived a shark attack. She said he's become a permanent resident. Is Lucky still there? For that matter are the biologists still there with the sting ray area closing? We're hoping to go back and visit Lucky again.

I can't figure out how to post pictures but we got some great ones from swimming and snorkeling with him every day.

The Makai Preserve, which has the Sting Experience, is closing permanently in early October. In its place, Aulani will have a new kids' splash zone. We talked to one of the animal keepers at the Makai Preserve and he said that the sting rays will be moved to new homes shortly.

Great news - thought I would share. Starlit Hui resumes this evening in it's new location. YAY!

Thanks for the news. I was hoping this would be back in time for my trip in a couple of weeks. Do you know if this is still on Monday and Thursday evenings?

We live minutes away, and just spent the day over the hob-nobin around and enjoying ourselves. Its absolutely amazing, and all they are doing is improving it. The buffet is getting a covered lani, and the adult area is going to be replaced by more kids areas. Sorry to you adults who liked that peaceful area...boon to parents that want an option. bottom line, the quiet side just was unused compared to the rest of the resort...so Disney saw it as unused space. Disney is spending money making this an even better place to visit and take advantage of. Let me know if you are comming, lets have a glass of wine at the Olelo bar!!

I just returned from a week in Aulani and boy was DVC generous to comp us 2 nights! Seriously, the construction next door at the JW was FAR noisier and an eyesore than anything Disney was doing... Now that may change, but that's the size of it last week. Heck, I even saw the lanai (off Oleo Room / Makahiki) workers putting strange boxes atop the corners of their metal patio cover. I couldn't figure out what they'd theme these boxes into. Then, the next day they moved. Turns out, Disney has its welders work on the joints under these "hoods" so people don't see/hear/smell the welding and grinding! Now that's classy!

FYI, the JW is currently closed for 3 months of renovation. Their workers are busy building another pool out front and redoing all of the balconies somehow. Lots of jackhammering from there. I'm glad they are coinciding with the Aulani construction! Good news: the lagoon has virtually nobody other than Aulani guests.

Last week, too, the sting rays were all removed and the shade cover to their habitat was removed too.

One major hint, too, as they prep the old Hui lawn for a pool, check out the cabanas before reserving one. Last week, a worker was jack hammering the light and audio pole footings just 6' from cabanas people paid lots of $$ for. That was lame.

BTW- the Wailana Pool is not an adult pool, nor a quiet pool. It is secluded and hardly used. That's a great thing for those in the know. It also doesn't have lifeguards. But it is open to all and a VERY nice place to be out of the sun for much of the day, too (except it gets more noise from the JW construction than anywhere now)

DisWitt, you make a great point! We were at the beach today, and it was ALL Aulani guests! It was sooo relaxing! Tip for locals, the beach cabanas are only $18 for half a day (DVC discount) Have lunch @ Aulani, get one of those, and it comes with beach toys!

Hmm, we are planning to make reservations this week for May. Do you think the majority of work will be done? It is my 50th and I so want to go.

dstupper said:
DisWitt, you make a great point! We were at the beach today, and it was ALL Aulani guests! It was sooo relaxing! Tip for locals, the beach cabanas are only $18 for half a day (DVC discount) Have lunch @ Aulani, get one of those, and it comes with beach toys!

What would the beach cabana's price be for non DVC members?

I spoke with concierge today and yes - Starlit Hui is on the same schedule of Monday and Thursday evenings. 730 pre-show and 800pm show.

We are checking in this Friday and can hardly wait to see Aulani!

Thanks for the cabana tip - any idea which it was? I have requested #1-4 if possible for our stay. Wondering if that was not such a good idea?

I spoke with concierge today and yes - Starlit Hui is on the same schedule of Monday and Thursday evenings. 730 pre-show and 800pm show.

We are checking in this Friday and can hardly wait to see Aulani!

Thanks for the cabana tip - any idea which it was? I have requested #1-4 if possible for our stay. Wondering if that was not such a good idea?

We are checking in Friday as well, hope you have a great trip!

We are wanting to go in Mid April , now I am wondering if we should wait until July?? Any thoughts?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter