• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

August No Buy!

We spent a lot the past two days on back-to-school shopping, vacation shopping, and we had to buy 2 more tires for our car. The good news is that the majority of the school and vacation shopping is done, so from here on out, we should be spending much, much less than we have the past 2 days.

August 1st- Dinner-$23, Baby Shower Gift-$25
August 2nd- Dinner- $70
August 3rd- No Buy #1
August 4th- August 5th- Back-to-School, Tires for the car, Vacation Shopping= Way too much spending! LOL!
August 6th- No Buy 2

No Buy Days: 2/10

I'm in again, however, I am only going to track MY buying, not DH (unless we shop together). Goal for this month is going to be strict, since the following 6 weeks are mega-spend with my first September/MNSSHP and an out-of-town wedding coming up. Goal: 20/31
1: $0
2: $141 Christmas/birthday gifts
3: $47 gas
4: $0
5: $42 clothing for DD and myself at the local thrift store + drinks while we were out.
6: $0
7: $0

4/20 20% there!

Hi, I'm new to all of this. Planning my first WDW trip as a "grown up" to visit a friend in the college program next month. As I booked my trip on Tuesday (I saw an 80-dollar a night deal at Pop Century I couldn't say no to), I'm going to start my "month" there. I'm shooting for roughly 10 no-buy days. (And I'm not counting buying things related to my trip as "buys" because I'm so late on planning this.)

4: ...I booked a flight and a hotel. and bought lunch. then realized "holy smokes I need to start saving money because I'm going to Disney!" I then spent $17 on groceries for food prep for the next few weeks.
5: No Buy #1
6: No Buy #2
7: No Buy #3

I really need to keep this goal in mind throughout the day! I was just counting my days and realized I stopped and bought a coffee I did not need and ruined one of my no buy days.:crazy: Anyway at 2 days so far, new goal.....keep my no buy goal in mind all day!

Sounds like everyone's thinking, even if we're still spending! :)

I'm going to aim for a whole 6 days.

Aug. 1: away
Aug. 2: away
Aug. 3: clothes for DS, new shorts for me (I'm down to 5 pairs -- not enough for 7 days in Disney!)
Aug. 4: groceries, things for school
Aug. 5: no buy #1
Aug. 6: no buy #2 -- on a roll!
Aug. 7: supplies for a long promised art project (like 8 months ago long promised!)
Aug. 8: fruit (calling it early!)

I am in. I am shooting for 10 days. We have some random virus in the house, so I am just going to be as hopeful as I can.

First week is down. Lots of good starts so far. Sounds like a few Disney trips are coming up! Good luck to everyone in the saving home stretch before they leave. Disney in the Fall/Winter is my favorite. I like the fall more so cause the weather is just perfect. Im looking at visiting in Nov or Dec with family.

Last edited:

1- $16.22 for pizza. We did get dinner and lunch out of it the next day for two of us!
2- $140.53 for gas and groceries.
3- no buy!
4- $100 for hay for my horses.
5- no buy!
6- $13 at Target
7- no buy!

Today is definitely a buy day! Oh well.

Just wondering if anyone knows what became of member MickeyMomofThree? Haven't seen her post for ages; she used to be on this thread all the time. A search shows she was last here 4 years ago and at that time was feeling tired all the time ( pregnancy was ruled out). Although I just joined the site this year, I'm a long time lurker. I love the Budget Board and have gotten so much useful info/great tips here. Anyway, just wanted to know if anyone knows about this poster. Thanks.

It's strange that you mention this, I used to frequent the disboards often, but rarely make it on anymore due to a busier schedule and kid activities. I always enjoyed the no buy thread, often started by MickeyMomofThree. We used to chat occasionally via messages as we had a lot in common, 3 kids, etc. I too have wondered what happened to her, I hope she is healthy and doing well, it makes you wonder.

I'm back and have to try harder this month! I've decided to limit myself to a budget of $50/week including groceries (not utility bills) because my credit card is out of control and my air conditioning needs to be replaced.

My goal will still be 15 No Buy Days.

1-No Buy #1
2-groceries
3-bought lunch so I could eat with my friend from work
4-No Buy #2
5-No Buy #3
6-went to a fundraiser and bought dinner afterward
7-got my hair done and went to dinner with a friend
8-groceries
9-No Buy #4

4/15 Days So Far, a slightly better start than I expected, but I could have 2 more days already if I had been more conscious

5 $143 groceries saved over $25 by buying things on sale
6 $12.53 groceries. Decided to bake some cakes to divide into sections and freeze to help out in the next few months.
3/15. Doing good so far real test is vacation time next week.
7 - $81.01 school supplies for both my son and my class
8 - no buy
9 - no buy
10 - no buy home all day
6/15

We need to start planning our spending days much better. We planned on 1 No Buy day this weekend, but we under-estimated the materials my DH would need for a home repair and ended up back at Home Depot the next day. So, we spent all 3 days, but we have a No Buy day today.

August 1st- Dinner-$23, Baby Shower Gift-$25
August 2nd- Dinner- $70
August 3rd- No Buy #1
August 4th- August 5th- Back-to-School, Tires for the car, Vacation Shopping= Way too much spending! LOL!
August 6th- No Buy 2
August 7th- August 9th- Back-to-school, house repairs, vacation shopping, lunch= More way too much spending!
August 10th- No Buy #3

No Buy Days: 3/10

I love this idea! Late to the game, but in desperate need of spending intervention. I'm in for 10 no spend days for the rest of the month. Starting out at 0/10 :sad2:

I'm in again, however, I am only going to track MY buying, not DH (unless we shop together). Goal for this month is going to be strict, since the following 6 weeks are mega-spend with my first September/MNSSHP and an out-of-town wedding coming up. Goal: 20/31
1: $0
2: $141 gifts
3: $47 gas
4: $0
5: $42 clothing
6: $0
7: $0
8: $125 groceries
9: $50 groceries/drugstore
10: $0

5/20 25% there!

Playing catch up. I was out of town on the 7th and 8th and will not record that spending as it came out of the vacation budget.

8/1- $37.52 Disney store (birthday gifts) and $12.49 dinner at the food court
8/2- $0
8/3- $45 co pay at dr, $37.48 Joann Fabrics, $22.70 Denny's, and $75.06 target
8/4- $0
8/5- $0
8/6- $45 grocery and $4.89 chick fil a
8/7- out of town
8/8- out of town
8/9- $0 (used my free pizza from papa johns for dinner)
8/10- $0

5/15 No Buy Days

I'm back and have to try harder this month! I've decided to limit myself to a budget of $50/week including groceries (not utility bills) because my credit card is out of control and my air conditioning needs to be replaced.

My goal will still be 15 No Buy Days.

1-No Buy #1
2-groceries
3-bought lunch so I could eat with my friend from work
4-No Buy #2
5-No Buy #3
6-went to a fundraiser and bought dinner afterward
7-got my hair done and went to dinner with a friend
8-groceries
9-No Buy #4
10-No Buy #5

5/15 Days So Far, on pace

1- $16.22 for pizza. We did get dinner and lunch out of it the next day for two of us!
2- $140.53 for gas and groceries.
3- no buy!
4- $100 for hay for my horses.
5- no buy!
6- $13 at Target
7- no buy!
8- $75 to get my ring appraised for insurance, $7.14 at the grocery store, and $13.12 for lunch.
9- $26.96 for gas. We also went to a theme park this day. We had bought the tickets on a groupon deal several months ago, so I won't count the price of those here. We spent about $30 on food that day between both us.
10- First day of my new job! I had to pay to park downtown this day, so that was $19. I would have parked in a cheaper lot that was farther away, but it was pouring down rain. I spent $6.50 on lunch out with coworkers, and $12.99 at the grocery store that night.
11- no buy!

I'm only at four days so far! Yikes! Need to up my game!

Hi, Just joining in today for the first time ever and so I will start today. I love this idea. So do I just count things that are not normal weekly things like groceries or do I just count extra stops at the store over and above weekly shopping and all the extras like eating out? Anyway, I will start small and shoot for 8 days. Thanks!
12- no buy!

So far I am at 2/10. It has been a sucky week. sick kids, sick parents, lazy mommy. So I have been getting fast food a lot.

UGH!!!!!!!!

1 - bath and body works $18
2 - Target $40 back to school list complete!
3 - Trader Joes $25
4 - uh oh, went on vacation!
5 - I remember this was an official no buy day
6-12 spend spend spend!!!!
13 - No Buy #2
14 - No Buy #3
15 - $4.70 library fine

3/10

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter