August 22nd 2009 Western Carribbean Anyone?

Welcome gonzalj1 and family
Did you see Maria and Dave's fish extender and magnets here? http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1653806&page=11
great for leaving little gifts in. We had a game of Distag on last 7 night cruise hope it gets arranged for next year, with all these scouting families I am sure it will. We just exchanged a little something from our local area, ended up with CD's of music, postcards, pins etc
We also fill cabin door with magnets, some of them are great, worth a walk around sometimes.

I have added you to my website, hyperlinked your location to Wiki, not much on there so if you know a better site let me know(local newpaper, anything) If you want names, ages, cabin or any other info adding let me know.
www.astersflorist.co.uk (bottom left)
Wayne

Hi All,

I'm sitting here typing with a cast on my leg up to my knee.

Sorry I've been MIA for the past month but we've had one of those "bad things come in 3's" kind of month.

I had my foot surgeries on May 5th. All went well with the surgery. In fact, better than expected because the MRI I had taken a few days before showed way more damage than initially thought.

But it turned out not to be the case. The broken toe was repaired and I now have a metal pin inserted through the tip of my toe. The damaged ligament was cut in half and grafted on itself to shorten and strengthen it. Plus a nearby ligament was cut and grafted onto the shortened ligament to help stabilize the ankle joint.

Needless to say my poor foot has been traumatized.

To be blunt - the recovery has been awful. Way worse than I expected. The first week I was in incredible pain. The toe was the worst - it felt like it was on fire. I could feel where the skin was cut open and how the pin is pushing apart the bones.

I was prescribed pain pills but all that did was make me sleep a lot and then feel groggy and nauseous.

That lasted about five days and then the pain gradually went away.

I'm in a cast up to my knee and am on crutches.

Being on crutches is just horrible.....horrible, horrible, horrible. All your body weight rests on your hands and forearms and those body parts are just not designed to take that kind of weight.

Its exhausting just getting around the house. Plus, you've lost the use of your hands so you can't do things like cook/clean/etc.

Fortunately, my mom stayed with me for the first five days and she did everything for me.

When she left, I went to a medical supply store and rented something called a "kneel walker". It has literally saved my life. It looks something like a razor scooter where I rest my knee on it and just push myself around.

I use the crutches when outdoors. But let me tell you, public places are extremely unfriendly to people on crutches. Doors are too heavy to open, wheel chair ramps are no where near the front doors, curbs are extremely high and steps are everywhere.

I had no idea how important it is to have two working legs. Everything is exhausting. Here I was thinking that I won't be doing much and I'll gain weight and lose my strength because I can't work out.

Wrong!!!! My arms and good leg take all my body weight and I'm so exhausted I don't feel like eating so I'm losing weight.

I've got two more weeks on the crutches then two weeks in a surgical boot.

So we're halfway there.

And just to add to the misery......DD was hurt in a bicycle accident. She and her best friend and DH were riding in our neighborhood when a speeding car came around a corner and didn't see DD. She had to swerve to get out of the way and lost her balance and fell off the bike. This happened on a hill.

She didn't break any bones but she was literally covered in blood from the neck down from road burns and a bad laceration on her arm.

Fortunately, our neighbor is an EMT so DS ran and got him and he came over and cleaned up DD enough so we could take her to the hospital.

No broken bones, no internal injuries and four stitches to the left forearm.

But one of the wounds got infected so back to the doctor and DD got put on antibiotics. That actually helped heal all the wounds a whole lot faster.

It could have been a whole lot worse.

Then last week we discovered DD has Lyme disease. She pulled two ticks out of her a few weeks ago. Then last week she got the bulls-eye rash.

Back to the doctor again. More antibiotics.

So we've had one heck of a time here.

Welcome to all the new people to this thread!!!!

We dress up for formal night. Its the one time of the year we all get dressed up. The photo from that night becomes our Christmas card photo.

DH brings his own tux. Its the one he got married in and needless to say its been "let out" several times over the past 18+ years.

Every time we sail on the Magic and DH packs his tux he complains that it shrunk in the closet. And goes on to blame the dry cleaners and that the dry cleaning fluid makes the material shrink.

He actually believes this is true...:rotfl2:

I try to point out that the same dry cleaning fluid does absolutely nothing to the formal outfits I wear every time we sail on the Magic. ;)

Hi All,Sorry I've been MIA for the past month but we've had one of those "bad things come in 3's" kind of month.

WOW! That was a bad month!!! So sorry about your dd! Glad she didn't get too hurt w/ the accident! That could have been way worse! And your toe sounds PAINFUL just reading it! I have a hairline fracture on my big toe from 20 years ago, and it still sometimes hurts, and that's painful enough for me - I can't imagine what you went through! What do they say about the Lyme disease? Hopefully the antibiotics completely cure it.

LOL about your dh and his tux! Yesterday I was posting (above) and I kept stepping away from the computer to do stuff, so dh was reading my post and typed in stuff (that I deleted) like "i'm not a good sport!" in regards to him wearing his tux, etc. And now he's calling dd "dd8" (as in dee-dee-8) and ds "ds6" and me "dw40" (literally) - such a tease! He just loves making fun of me and the dis!

Ski

Glad to hear everyone is fine. You have had the most stressful month.
Sorry to hear it.

The knee scooter- one of the moms at school just had knee surgery and she has one. I have never heard of them before.

Hey everybody. We'll be on board with you all next year! I'm so excited. I can't stop reading these boards for my fix!!!

The crew with me will be DW, DS 5 and DD 7. 1st time cruising for both kids and it's been more than 7 years for DW and I.

The kids are most excited about the Goofy Pajama Party. I think my wife and I are more excited about the rasul (sp?) at the spa while they're at the PJ party. ;)

I've read a little about the fish hangers and door magnets but don't completely get the idea yet. Hoping someone here can explain it to me like I'm a 3rd grader. (My wife is reaallly good at that. It's the reason we're still married . :))

See everybody on board!

Welcome. We are glad to have you join us.

Ski, Hopefully all your bad luck is over with now, not a great few weeks for you.

Ski - so sorry to hear about your awful month! I was wondering where you've been. I hope everyone is feeling better.

gonzalj1 - :welcome: !!!!

The knee scooter- one of the moms at school just had knee surgery and she has one. I have never heard of them before.

I had not heard of them either....the medical supply place was telling me there were a few "bulky" ones already on the market then this one came out in the past year or two. Its lighter weight, folds flat and less costly than the others.

It is actually a ton of fun to ride. The kids are always on it as soon as it sit down. Except that they leave it far away from where I am sitting so I get literally stranded. :rotfl2:

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. This was way harder than I thought and the weather we've had in NJ in May was just dreadful (cold and very wet).

My Girl Scout troop has been a lifesaver during this. The moms all got together and each family made a meal for me this month. So three times a week I got a main course/side dishes/salad and desserts.

It was like Christmas morning three times a week as food was delivered to our house. That was a God-send as some days I was just too exhausted to cook.

And the girls all signed my cast in different colored pens so my cast looks very colorful.

Ski - I'm glad you have such great friends helping you out! I can't imagine trying to cook, let alone do anything in your condition.

We finally had some really nice weather in NJ this weekend. My house has been non stop with the kids coming over swimming. We ended up having the entire soccer team and parents over after their games yesterday. It started out with having a couple kids over & by the time we got from the field to the parking lot, we ended up inviting everyone over! We all had a really good time, but I am exhausted! :faint:

Hey everybody. We'll be on board with you all next year! I'm so excited. I can't stop reading these boards for my fix!!!

The crew with me will be DW, DS 5 and DD 7. 1st time cruising for both kids and it's been more than 7 years for DW and I.

The kids are most excited about the Goofy Pajama Party. I think my wife and I are more excited about the rasul (sp?) at the spa while they're at the PJ party. ;)

I've read a little about the fish hangers and door magnets but don't completely get the idea yet. Hoping someone here can explain it to me like I'm a 3rd grader. (My wife is reaallly good at that. It's the reason we're still married . :))

See everybody on board!

Welcome, Gonzalj. My DS will be 7 for the cruise; maybe he and your DD can have fun together in the club!

I am glad others were ale to explain hangers and magnets; according to my DW I can only explain things in two ways - either talking over the other person's head or talking down to them. She does her best to have me not explain things to others!

Inasmuch as this is also my first cruise, here is a question for those with experience: How do we find each other on board?

Brian

Wayne, Here's the info... Very nice of you to organize thsi way.

Cabin 2120

DW - Anita
DD - Rebecca
DS - AJ
Me - John (sounds a little like Tarzan... me John you Wayne) :)

Ski and Sea - Ouch! Sounds painful. I hope you feel better. I hope to not go through that kind of pain as I'm preparign for knee surgery in the next couple of weeks.

Can I ask if you know who made the pins, screws etc.? I work at Stryker Orthopaedics and those are exactly the kinds of products we make.

wow- sea and ski: what a month! I was just thinking it had been a while since you posted here!
gonzalj: welcome:

Ski and Sea - Ouch! Sounds painful. I hope you feel better. I hope to not go through that kind of pain as I'm preparign for knee surgery in the next couple of weeks.

Can I ask if you know who made the pins, screws etc.? I work at Stryker Orthopaedics and those are exactly the kinds of products we make.

Oh man.....knee surgery is never easy. I know people who purposely put it off because they are too afraid of what the recovery is like.

But the thing is....the longer you hold off, the worse the recovery.

I don't know who made the pin - it looks like a large sewing pin with a knob on the end that sticks out of my toe. The doc says that he will freeze my toe and then just twist the pin out.

Inasmuch as this is also my first cruise, here is a question for those with experience: How do we find each other on board?

Brian

Couple of ways.......we'll hold a DIS meet on the first day so we can meet each other. The best place is the Promenade Lounge at 3pm. Spend some time meeting face to face then head back to our rooms for the lifeboat drill.

We can all make matching T-shirts. I've done that for two cruises now.

Then I had one cruise where we all wore lime green color lei's during the sailaway party.

I definitely want to do Palo Brunch on this cruise. I have yet to do it and I'm told its awesome.

Couple of ways.......we'll hold a DIS meet on the first day so we can meet each other. The best place is the Promenade Lounge at 3pm. Spend some time meeting face to face then head back to our rooms for the lifeboat drill.

We can all make matching T-shirts. I've done that for two cruises now.

Then I had one cruise where we all wore lime green color lei's during the sailaway party.

I definitely want to do Palo Brunch on this cruise. I have yet to do it and I'm told its awesome.

If I get a vote, I saw either the planned meet or something like leis. I am NOT the matching shirt type!

I plan a Palo brunch as well. Of course, I am also going to enjoy a Palo dinner with my DW! The only challenge is deciding which night to schedule Palo. I plan to get the Romantic Escape package, so about four months before we sail I will look at current Navigators to see which evening I can take two hours away without feeling like I am missing something important.

A planned meet would be great. We're not the matching shirt type either.

Wayne- is it possible to put photos on your website?
We could all email him a current photo.

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday weekend. We went horseback riding. Erik and Matt went golfing.

I am trying to get ready for Matt''s 10th b-day party. He decided that he wanted his party BEFORE he got his braces. So, it got moved up. Thank goodness our family and friends are flexible. I had to change the date.

He got the rocket fishing rod from my inlaws. I wasn't sure how good it was be. But, Matt had a great time shooting it and reeling it in. He didn't even put a hook on it. Marina would like one, too. I told her to save her allowance. We are planning on getting one for my nephew, his b-day is in July.

I wanted to mention about fish extenders that some of us are planning on exchanging or have talked about it. But,you do not have to participate if you do not want to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter